Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the team's only winning season in the past decade, sabotaged by poor qb play. Also with the coach departing because the meddlesome owner was bugging Donahoe daily and Mularkey as well.

It was clearly different because Ralph was calling the shots, Brandon was only a trusted advisor with limited autonomy. And he was shackled to Dick Jauron, a low cost, low energy hire.

So now suddenly everything was Ralph Wilsons fault, and now that he stepped away everything will be great?

I still don't see how anything is changed, except a job title. How can I not remain skeptical considering the past 13 years of hiring bad coaches, bad teams, bad drafting.

Lets face facts here. I think most fans were thinking Jim Kelly / Thurman Thomas were going to purchase part or all of the team and RW was finally selling to a new owner dedicated to winning. Instead of making a profit and finding unique ways to keep the stadium filled.

That is definitely a factor. The Russ-Buddy-Whaley-Overdorf team has the opportunity to hire the right staff to develop the talent, put together game plans, and ultimately turn this once proud Franchise around.

The same team that hired the previous coaching staff?

What makes you so hopeful exactly?

Really? A press conference, an article on the main page, and a 30+ page thread, and you still can't identify that the difference is that Ralph Wilson will no longer be approving any decisions related to the organization?

Honestly guys, what is so hard to understand?

Does anyone really know how involved he was in decision making in recent years? Did Ralph tell Nix to hire Gailey or not draft a QB? Did Ralph demand the switch from the 4-3 to the 3-4 and back to the 4-3?

This assertion is flat-out incorrect. The roster is NOT much better than it was 3 years ago.

- As you pointed out, he failed to draft a developmental QB.

- The pass rush has not improved significantly in spite of the vast sums of money spent in that area.

- The Bills' defense completed one of the worst defensive seasons in franchise history despite a bevy of draft picks dedicated to the unit.

- The linebacking corps is abysmal, in large part due to a dependence on past-his-prime Shawne Merriman and Nick Barnett. Sheppard has not developed into a starting caliber MLB.

- The cornerbacks have regressed. Gillmore was a good selection with great potential but Aaron WO

illiams was ranked as the one of the worst corners in the league.

- Failed to find a solid outside receiver to compliment Stevie Johnson and instead collected a bevy of slot receivers like TJ Graham and David Nelson

- Failed to bring in an athletic, pass-catching tight end and Chandler hardly qualifies. Had Rob Gronkowski staring him in the face during the draft and chose to pick Torrell Troup instead. Troup has been an outright bust.

As I said in my post, clearly some disagree. Your analysis however ignores coaching all together,overstates in some areas, and relies on the perfection of 20/20 hindsight on past drafts. A matter of opinion at this point, not facts. We will see if a coaching change can bring more out out of these players.

^ Another objective fan who gets it. :)

Of course. Those who agree with you are objective. Got it.

So now suddenly everything was Ralph Wilsons fault, and now that he stepped away everything will be great?

I still don't see how anything is changed, except a job title. How can I not remain skeptical considering the past 13 years of hiring bad coaches, bad teams, bad drafting.

Lets face facts here. I think most fans were thinking Jim Kelly / Thurman Thomas were going to purchase part or all of the team and RW was finally selling to a new owner dedicated to winning. Instead of making a profit and finding unique ways to keep the stadium filled.

Any fan who thinks those ex-players are going to purchase the team (or any team), is an idiot.

And in your first sentence you contradict your last paragraph... :rolleyes:

They have a coach who has playoff and Super bowl appearances calling them on day one. Tells me the roster and state of the franchise is not as far gone as the negative nancies think.

what it should tell you is how big a detriment wilson has been to attracting a good coach...and i think he can still be. any of these guys are gonna want assurances beyond words on wilson's meddling. will they get them?

The announcement says Ralph Wilson is being replaced by Russ Brandon as team president. Not sure why this is bad news. Brandon was a failure as a GM but that has little to do with this. Anyone who was worried that a senile Ralph was helping to screw things up should be happy.

The rumors say that Whaley will replace Nix as GM after the draft, with Nix perhaps staying on in an advisory role. Not sure why anyone would consider this bad news either. I like Nix but he's not done spectacularly well as GM. It's time to let someone else try. I remember when Nix was hired, Peter King lamented that we gave the job to a retiree instead of giving an up-and-coming hotshot like Whaley an opportunity. Whaley - whatever he did or didn't do with the Bills - is highly regarded around the NFL.

All in all, I'm happy with today's news.

It's really that simple? Nothing to do with the horrible game plans put out by our former coaches?

Nobody doubts Gailey was a problem. But to suggest that the personnel department, consisting of the same scouting staff and same front office managers who have presided over the longest playoff drought in NFL history is not in need of any change is disingenuous at best.

Did Ralph Wilson force Buddy Nix to choose Torrell Troup over Buffalo-born Rob Gronkowski?

Did Ralph Wilson force the team to pass on all developmental QB prospects and instead place all the franchise's eggs into the Ryan Fitzpatrick basket?

Did Ralph Wilson force Buddy Nix to trade up and Take TJ Graham rather than Russell Wilson?

Did Ralph Wilson tell Buddy Nix to claim Shawne Merriman and sign him to an extension all the while ignoring the LB position in the draft?

It seems like a convenient excuse for a shoddy operation. It is my sincere hope that Russ Brandon will come to this realization sooner rather than later.

The same team that hired the previous coaching staff?

What makes you so hopeful exactly?

That's one reason I wanted a new GM. Just taking a wait and see approach. If you really have the right team in place it does not take 3, 4, or 5 years to turn around a bad Franchise. We've seen it all over the league.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

There it is, the trifecta has been completed.

I've seen the terms "kool-aid drinkers", "rose colored glasses" and now "realist/reality check" thrown around by the complainers.

We et the skepticism. ALL Bills fans understand where that is coming from. We've all been through this for the past 13 years and it sucks. But pissing in the cherrios doesnt do anything. If you arent enjoying this, then why bother? Find another hobby and be happy.

The Doctor has spoken. Well said Dank, and a thumbs up to PTR too who loves The Bills more than most.

And a personal thanks and shout out to SDS who clipped the nads of at least one low life in full view of the peanut gallery today.

Go Bills!

Most fans were not thinking there was a Thurman Thomas ownership group. If you believed that, look in the mirror before sharing your disgust with what happened today. The expectation issue is with your own self, not the bills.

I don't think today's as landmark as many, and I worry about Russ but you really believed "on like a mofo" a sketchy post about a sketchy video, and a screenshot on twitter from a random guys phone amounted to a new ownership group getting announced?

Nobody doubts Gailey was a problem. But to suggest that the personnel department, consisting of the same scouting staff and same front office managers who have presided over the longest playoff drought in NFL history is not in need of any change is disingenuous at best.

The current staff is barely 3 years old. The drought is 13. How are they at fault for the previous 10 years?

Actually they pretty much did. With Mr. Wilsons age and failing health it is not a big stretch to assume that Brandon has been making decisions for some time, with a rubber stamp approval from Mr. Wilson. All that has been removed, in my opinion, is the rubber stamp. Probably more efficient and seems to be having a positive impact on many of the Bills faithful. But at the end of the day more yawn than mind blowing.

So, you would rather smash that square peg into the round hole to fit your assumptive view of the situation, instead of considering that maybe they made a big deal of this because it is actually a big deal? Russ Brandon stood in front of reporters and lied through his teeth about his emotional meeting that finally removed the rubber stamp? :rolleyes:

As much as I'm wary of Russ for various reasons, this may be a positive--- no more meddling or influence from Littman/Ralph. It's been reported several times that Russ has been held back from making bigger personnel moves. So long as the football guys continue to make football decisions.

Brandon can also get rid of Nix. If he has another terrible season, Nix will be gone. While not a dramatic step, its a good step in the right direction. I'm not that weary of Brandon. I think he wants a winner, and will do what it takes to get one (including finding a real GM if need be).

The announcement says Ralph Wilson is being replaced by Russ Brandon as team president. Not sure why this is bad news. Brandon was a failure as a GM but that has little to do with this. Anyone who was worried that a senile Ralph was helping to screw things up should be happy.

The rumors say that Whaley will replace Nix as GM after the draft, with Nix perhaps staying on in an advisory role. Not sure why anyone would consider this bad news either. I like Nix but he's not done spectacularly well as GM. It's time to let someone else try. I remember when Nix was hired, Peter King lamented that we gave the job to a retiree instead of giving an up-and-coming hotshot like Whaley an opportunity. Whaley - whatever he did or didn't do with the Bills - is highly regarded around the NFL.

All in all, I'm happy with today's news.

now THIS is an objective post. A little of both sides, and a positive "lets wait and see" message.

Brandon can also get rid of Nix. If he has another terrible season, Nix will be gone. While not a dramatic step, its a good step in the right direction. I'm not that weary of Brandon. I think he wants a winner, and will do what it takes to get one (including finding a real GM if need be).

Nix will be out of the GM spot before the season starts. Bank on it.