Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

I don't think we have any idea who the leaders in the clubhouse are. I think the AZ trip was a great move, simply because they can talk to Wisenhunt and Horton, take care of the Rooney Rule, plus Chip Kelly is there, and reportedly, Mike McCoy, too, are in town.

did they take a trip to AZ for all these interviews?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately for the skeptical there will always be reason to grouse about the Bills, no matter what.

Hire HC? Should've hired someone better.

Draft or sign a QB? Should've got the other guy.

Make the playoffs? Big deal. We missed 13 years.

Win the AFC? We lost 4 SB's. Here comes #5.

Win a SB? Other teams have won more.

If pessimism were a fuel, Buffalo would be the new Saudi Arabia.

PTR

The Bills have hired God himself to run the team? He's so old, Ralph just hiring his cronies.

did they take a trip to AZ for all these interviews?

Only they know for sure. There was a rumor today from a national source they are reaching out to Kelly. There was also one from a good source, Shefter, that they asked permission to talk to McCoy. Wisenhunt, Horton and Grimm all worked for the Steelers when Whaley was there.

Only they know for sure. There was a rumor today from a national source they are reaching out to Kelly. There was also one from a good source, Shefter, that they asked permission to talk to McCoy. Wisenhunt, Horton and Grimm all worked for the Steelers when Whaley was there.

i heard the Kelly thing and the Horton and Wiz thing but not the others. Just wasnt sure if there was confirmation they made a trip out west for this or something. I kinda like it.

I also really like the thought of Lovie Smith. I'm a pretty big fan of a lot of the names being thrown out there actually.

i heard the Kelly thing and the Horton and Wiz thing but not the others. Just wasnt sure if there was confirmation they made a trip out west for this or something. I kinda like it.

I also really like the thought of Lovie Smith. I'm a pretty big fan of a lot of the names being thrown out there actually.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/01/01/head-coach-search-team-heads-west/

WGR mentioned that buffalobills.com confirmed they were heading to Arizona, but if you read Chris Brown's confirmation, it refers back to non-confirmation confirmation that Brandon made on WGR.

So--- it's likely that's what is happening tomorrow, but it's not exactly an iron clad confirmation.

I don't think we have any idea who the leaders in the clubhouse are. I think the AZ trip was a great move, simply because they can talk to Wisenhunt and Horton, take care of the Rooney Rule, plus Chip Kelly is there, and reportedly, Mike McCoy, too, are in town.

It's some assumptions/rumors, but Wisenhunt, Horton, Grimm all have ties to Whaley.

I am with the people that agree this can't be a bad thing. It MIGHT be the "same as usual" crap by the FO. However it MIGHT NOT be. Either way, we look at it, WE ALL wanted Ralph out of the decision process and its being said that he's OUT. That can't be bad. It's been announced publicly that Ralph will meddle no more. This makes it easier to sign these HCs that refuse to even think about Buffalo because of the meddling.

So it might be the same old crap, but it could mean a world of difference. Lets see how it plays out.

Yea, good point. Contrary to what others are stating I'm not condemning this change at all. It would mean people like Bill Cowher / Jon Gruden would now have more interest in the HCing job

I will however still remain skeptical because of Buddy Nix still being in the equation. Nix was the one who chose Gailey in the first place, and up until a few weeks ago believed Gailey was one of the brightest offensive minds in the NFL. It was an organizational move to fire Chan...

Also, contrary to what Rus Brandon stated, I think the talent on the team hasn't really improved that much. If it had, the Bills would have won more games. I look at Nix and see a guy who can find talent off the waiver wire, but not so much in the draft.

When a team is 4-12 / 6-10 just about every acquisition you make should have impact on the team, in free agency and the draft. 1st draft Spiller, 2nd draft Dareus 3rd draft Gilmore, Glenn. Free agency Super Mario! 27 draft choices and 4 players making a big impact. One 100 million dollar FA, he better make an impact for 100 mill.

Perhaps it was bad coaching all around and a new HC and staff will make many of those draft choice look brilliant. After 3 years of Nix, Gailey & Fitz at QB. I just have no faith in Nix to find the Bills next franchise QB or HC.

Color me skeptical and leave it at that. Like you said, lets see how it plays out.

Nobody doubts Gailey was a problem. But to suggest that the personnel department, consisting of the same scouting staff and same front office managers who have presided over the longest playoff drought in NFL history is not in need of any change is disingenuous at best.

Of course, this conveniently ignores the fact that the scouting department was completely revamped less than 2 years ago, with New directors and hires brought on. So it's actually not the same staff. But feel free to ignore the facts and continue on your petty little crusade.

Of course, this conveniently ignores the fact that the scouting department was completely revamped less than 2 years ago, with New directors and hires brought on. So it's actually not the same staff. But feel free to ignore the facts and continue on your petty little crusade.

Still, much of the scouting staff is the same. Honestly, my friend, we're splitting hairs here.

The Bills need a new GM. A young, up and coming GM from a successful organization that has knack for evaluating talent and building a competitive roster. Tom Gamble from the 49ers or Caldwell from the Falcons would be solid choices to replace Nix. This is what the Bills need badly. The last time they hired a fresh outside face it was Tom Donahoe. Since then, the organization has focused on bringing retreads and old hats to lead the charge and we've see what the results are. At least Donahoe built a top 5 defense. Since those days, the Bills have been unremarkable in all 3 phases.

Do you disagree? Do you think retaining Nix is an advisable course of action as opposed to bringing fresh, new leadership in this area?

Edited by Dawgg

How did Russ have time to fly to Michigan for him and Ralph's little cry session plus Arizona to interview with 3 coaching candidates? Must be a busy little boy. And I wonder if Nix plans on being involved with these little coach-searching jaunts? I hope not. Let Russ alone to hire the biggest bastard he can. No more old boys club hires.

I said this in another thread, but part of the equation with Buddy Nix is that I don't think he or Brandon even know right now is how much power he will have, or how long he will stay. I think it depends on the HC that they hire. Nix knows that his time is diminishing. But, if they can bag a big name guy like Kelly, Gruden, Cowher, Reid, etc (I'm not saying they will or won't) than that guy is going to want a lot of control and say in personnel decisions. Nix will then likely deal with the draft and be part of the team, until eventually stepping down to let the new big name and Whaley be a GM team. If they don't land a big name guy who demands personnel decisions, then Nix will stick around for awhile, handle the draft himself with input from Whaley and the new coach, and then who knows how long he will stay. He may indeed step down after the draft.

But again, I think part of the reason little has changed with Nix, is because they don't know who the coach will be and who will accept an offer if they go after a big name and I believe they will. They may not indeed get one of those guys, for various reasons (not because Buffalo sucks), but that will detemines what power and decisions Nix makes.

Still, much of the scouting staff is the same. Honestly, my friend, we're splitting hairs here.

The Bills need a new GM. A young, up and coming GM from a successful organization that has knack for evaluating talent and building a competitive roster. Tom Gamble from the 49ers or Caldwell from the Falcons would be solid choices to replace Nix. This is what the Bills need badly. The last time they hired a fresh outside face it was Tom Donahoe. Since then, the organization has focused on bringing retreads and old hats to lead the charge and we've see what the results are. At least Donahoe built a top 5 defense. Since those days, the Bills have been unremarkable in all 3 phases.

Do you disagree? Do you think retaining Nix is an advisable course of action as opposed to bringing fresh, new leadership in this area?

That's Whaley.

The Bills need a new GM. A young, up and coming GM from a successful organization that has knack for evaluating talent and building a competitive roster.

Doesn't Doug Whaley fit that bill? Joe Buscaglia remarked earlier today following the PC that for Whaley, today is essentially Day 1, despite the fact Nix is still in place. He may not have the final word at GM, but they are a front office team in transition.

How did Russ have time to fly to Michigan for him and Ralph's little cry session plus Arizona to interview with 3 coaching candidates? Must be a busy little boy. And I wonder if Nix plans on being involved with these little coach-searching jaunts? I hope not. Let Russ alone to hire the biggest bastard he can. No more old boys club hires.

They went to AZ today after the press conference.

Let me introduce you to this guy named Doug Whaley, http://wgr550.com/Bi...-line-/15163419

If Nix does step down, or move to a different role after the draft, and Whaley is promoted, does that make you feel better? Or you want a full house cleaning in the FO?

Keep in mind, he was an outside hire from a winning team (and possibly strongest organization in the league). And from the moment he was brought in, it was with the plan to replace Buddy at some point. So it's not really an "internal hire" like in the past.

Edited by DrDareustein

It's would have been much preferable. Why the fans don't deserve a decent, conventional football operation is beyond me.

Whaley is a young up and comer. And he'll be in charge before too long. Probably right after the 2013 draft.

Regarding the perceived talent on the team, how much is not lack of talent, but lack of development? Seeing former bills successful elsewhere smacks of not properly developing the talent drafted.