Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

Mario - the Bills don't pay to bring in talent. Top FAs won't come here - guess what? They do now! The only way to change a perception is show things are different. Mario was the prize of the FA class and we had no pass rush. So we signed him. That's right, THE TOP FA chose us over the other 31 teams. the Bills paid to get him here, he wants to be here and he helps with our pass rush...What a bonehead move :doh:

RB- Marshawn is one incident away from getting suspended, had run-ins with the B-lo police and even the police in Oakland (Blunts and Guns). Who else at #9 would you take? He was the BPA and look at what he is today...

And the point of having that vaunted pass rush when the LBs can't cover is......???

And Spiller is not the point. He's a good player. But he was not needed at the time. Nix already had a RB pro-bowler, a possible RB pro-bowler and about 6 other MAJOR holes on the team when he took Spiller.

I have 6 wins against bad teams and 10 losses that tells me this team is not well constructed. And the same regime that passed on a litany of starting NFL QBs and gave RF a big contract now tells us he's going to get us a QB. You have WAY more confidence in him than I do. All evidence points to the contrary.

Edited by JPS

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank You!

The bitching and moaning around here is amazing.

Is it really amazing though? It is like the child who asks for a toy all year long for Christmas, Christmas comes and he gets it, then throws it in the corner and says this is a dumb toy...

If Russ Brandon understands Bills Fans frustration and unhappiness after 13 lousy years of football, Why wouldn't you? People have a right to express skepticism, while wanting and hoping for much better.

I know where you're coming from. I work with a guy who's convinced half the people that he's an expert based on forceful delivery, yet when you take an objective look, he's an empty suit. That's Buddy in a nut shell as the GM. But as you say, he's a very good scout and there's no reason for Bills to waste his talent there.

You have to read in between the lines of today's announcement. No way no how is Buddy the true GM of this team any longer. I have a hunch that Brandon didn't like getting pushed aside in 2010 and this is his revenge. I could care less what he said of Buddy's record at the PC today. He has to say those things about his employee. But the bottom line is that Brandon put himself on the line as the decision maker, and that is a momentous change at OBD.

Good points all...And no question I like the Brandon move...I really do...If it does turn out that Whaley takes the reigns after the 2013 Draft I'm OK with it...But I still feel like there were better guys out there...I'm kind of nervous about Whaley...I'm only assuming he'll be better... B-)

All I'm getting from a few of you is petulence. An entire coaching staff dismissed. A longtime meddlesome owner who has stepped aside. A new President who publically admits the brand has been damaged and has new power to right the ship. A young Assistant GM being retained to take the reigns sooner rather than later...

But alas, the bike isn't the right color, so the bike goes over the bridge. If it ain't perfect to everyone, it ain't worth doing I suppose is the message.

The "new" President has been with the team for the better part of 10 years. The "new" President has elected to retain Nix, who has put together half of a very good team and half of a very bad team (which equals a bad team). My fear is that Brandon doesn't know football and retained a very bad GM. Whether it be for a day, a month or a year, what has Nix done to inspire such confidence in Brandon that he let's him continue to determine the path of this franchise?

My issue isn't with the color of the bike. It's whether it has wheels.

And the point of having that vaunted pass rush when the LBs can't cover is......???

And Spiller is not the point. He's a good player. But he was not needed at the time. Nix already had a RB pro-bowler, a possible RB pro-bowler and about 6 other MAJOR holes on the team when he took Spiller.

I have 6 wins against bad teams and 10 losses that tells me this team is not well constructed. And the same regime that passed on a litany of starting NFL QBs and gave RF a big contract now tells us he's going to get us a QB. You have WAY more confidence in him than I do. All evidence points to the contrary.

Barnett played well the season before, Shepp was who they wanted to develop to play the middle and Scott was the guy Wanny wanted to play 60% of the snaps as we were in nickle or dime more than 50% of the time. We drafted Bradham and Carder last year, gave Moats a shot and brought Morrison and Merriman back. They wanted to see what we had. This draft looks stacked with LBs so lets address it now.

If we addressed LB last season and not a pass rush would you say that they did a lousy job because that wasn't addressed?

Spiller is the point because he is the RB they drafted. Lynch was on his way out and JPP was, in hindsight only, a possible other choice. Honestly at this point I would rather have Spiller...

Fitz was paid as a middle of the pack QB which is exactly where his stats are. He is getting paid the correct amount for the player he is. BTW at the time he signed his extension last year, he was a potential MVP candiate and right at the top of the NFL with Brees and Rodgers are far as stats go. Is Locker and Ponder really that much better than Fitz? Cousins? How would Dalton be without Green? Fine we missed Wilson so did everyone other than the Seahawks, who didn't take him until the 3rd anyways...

You have 6 wins and 10 loses because the coaching staff sucked, which is why they are gone. If Chan hadn't mismanaged games and Wanny actually blitzed and brought heat, they still might be here. It is tough to hang that all on the players...

If Russ Brandon understands Bills Fans frustration and unhappiness after 13 lousy years of football, Why wouldn't you? People have a right to express skepticism, while wanting and hoping for much better.

I'm not saying that you or anyone doesn't have the the right. Hell I'm skeptical too; but looking at all the facts - this team is much better than the team Nix and Gailey came into...

Discussion is one thing, but with some on here, there are lots of crusades and just some who will never be happy. We are all Bills fans; give this a shot. RW is no longer involved :beer:

15 Draft Picks in 3 years for a Defense that turns out to be historically bad...Historically bad...No way that could ever be all coaching...

Interesting, I would say the opposite. No way those players could ALL be bad...

RF is the 19th best paid qb I believe.... How big is that contract really?

Edited by NoSaint

Barnett played well the season before, Shepp was who they wanted to develop to play the middle and Scott was the guy Wanny wanted to play 60% of the snaps as we were in nickle or dime more than 50% of the time. We drafted Bradham and Carder last year, gave Moats a shot and brought Morrison and Merriman back. They wanted to see what we had. This draft looks stacked with LBs so lets address it now.

If we addressed LB last season and not a pass rush would you say that they did a lousy job because that wasn't addressed?

Spiller is the point because he is the RB they drafted. Lynch was on his way out and JPP was, in hindsight only, a possible other choice. Honestly at this point I would rather have Spiller...

Fitz was paid as a middle of the pack QB which is exactly where his stats are. He is getting paid the correct amount for the player he is. BTW at the time he signed his extension last year, he was a potential MVP candiate and right at the top of the NFL with Brees and Rodgers are far as stats go. Is Locker and Ponder really that much better than Fitz? Cousins? How would Dalton be without Green? Fine we missed Wilson so did everyone other than the Seahawks, who didn't take him until the 3rd anyways...

You have 6 wins and 10 loses because the coaching staff sucked, which is why they are gone. If Chan hadn't mismanaged games and Wanny actually blitzed and brought heat, they still might be here. It is tough to hang that all on the players...

I'm not saying that you or anyone doesn't have the the right. Hell I'm skeptical too; but looking at all the facts - this team is much better than the team Nix and Gailey came into...

Discussion is one thing, but with some on here, there are lots of crusades and just some who will never be happy. We are all Bills fans; give this a shot. RW is no longer involved :beer:

I am amazed how optimistic you can be despite the Bills telling you they are basically staying the course. I have no idea how to expect better results out the same decision makers who have put us here....but I sincerely hope you are right.

Isn't interesting how this like-minded group of people all seem to have the same set of mis-informed complaints? It's like they get emailed a daily talking sheet.

It's about believing that RF is the right guy and passing on all the "right guys"....It's about Buddy's ability to evaluate...or lack of ability to evaluate....

He's the 19th highest paid QB and he finished 19th in QB rating, 18th in yards, 13th in TDs, 8th in INTS.

And he played like crap, with few WRs options or a defense that helped him.

I'd say that is exactly the contract he deserved.

I am amazed how optimistic you can be despite the Bills telling you they are basically staying the course. I have no idea how to expect better results out the same decision makers who have put us here....but I sincerely hope you are right.

But they aren't. The ENTIRE COACHING STAFF IS GONE. Buddy Nix's SUCCESSOR is sitting right there in the PC and will travel everywhere with him. How often does an assistant GM EVER do that? All signs point to him leaving sooner rather than later. How is this in any way shape or form the same decision makers?

It's about believing that RF is the right guy and passing on all the "right guys"....It's about Buddy's ability to evaluate...or lack of ability to evaluate....

Perhaps your argument would be better if you left out fitzs contract in the first place instead of having to back track on it.

I've never heard him endorsed without ".... for now" or "....until we see a chance to upgrade" tagged on the positive comment.

Edited by NoSaint

It isn't being optimistic, it is being realistic. It has been said we are building through the draft and not through FA, which in itself means it isn't going to be a a quick rebuild, will take some time and all holes won't be plugged or fixed over night. Nix had to rebuild the entire football side of the house - John Guy - gone, Modrak Gone, Scouts gone. Guy was easy to replace being in pro-personnel; The scouting side of the house and Modrak have to wait for the drafts to end as that is when other teams scouts contracts run out. Fitz is paid exactly what he should be paid. We had a malcontent at RB who was 1 strike away from being suspended, almost every position on D had to be replaced, the OL needed to be rebuilt, Chandler has been a good TE for us...

I would say progress is being made, but again with the building through the draft route - it takes time and no one ever hits on all of their picks...

But they aren't. The ENTIRE COACHING STAFF IS GONE. Buddy Nix's SUCCESSOR is sitting right there in the PC and will travel everywhere with him. How often does an assistant GM EVER do that? All signs point to him leaving sooner rather than later. How is this in any way shape or form the same decision makers?

I wonder how long Brandon knew about this transition before it was finalized.

Regardless, to go off half-cocked and start firing everybody willy-nilly would be a great way to convince Ralph that he had made a horrible mistake and turned his enterprise over to a nutbag.

It isn't being optimistic, it is being realistic. It has been said we are building through the draft and not through FA, which in itself means it isn't going to be a a quick rebuild, will take some time and all holes won't be plugged or fixed over night. Nix had to rebuild the entire football side of the house - John Guy - gone, Modrak Gone, Scouts gone. Guy was easy to replace being in pro-personnel; The scouting side of the house and Modrak have to wait for the drafts to end as that is when other teams scouts contracts run out. Fitz is paid exactly what he should be paid. We had a malcontent at RB who was 1 strike away from being suspended, almost every position on D had to be replaced, the OL needed to be rebuilt, Chandler has been a good TE for us...

I would say progress is being made, but again with the building through the draft route - it takes time and no one ever hits on all of their picks...

Very practical. Ill add, and not to excuse it as a mistake - it was one, but we've switched defenses twice, which means starting all over and wasting some of those early picks right from the get go.

Very practical. Ill add, and not to excuse it as a mistake - it was one, but we've switched defenses twice, which means starting all over and wasting some of those early picks right from the get go.

That still burns my ass a little bit. I am curious as to what we do with our D now with a new HC coming in; I am hoping that he will be stuck with the 43...

Perhaps your argument would be better if you left out fitzs contract in the first place instead of having to back track on it.

I've never heard him endorsed without ".... for now" or "....until we see a chance to upgrade" tagged on the positive comment.

There's no backtracking needed. What you fail to understand is that it's not that he was "overpaid" per se, it was the length and meaning of such a commitment. The organization's decision to give him a lucrative long-term deal is a clear indication that the front office (led by Nix AND Whaley) felt that QB was no longer an area of need. And it showed in the way they drafted, passing on numerous QB prospects in favor of backup caliber players at other positions.

That alone should get a front office fired. Throw in the numerous other questionable roster decisions this front office made, both on draft day and in free agency, it's amazing that this fan base is lauding the status quo. :)

#GoBills

Edited by Dawgg

He only gives RF the contract if he believes him to be the guy (oops).

I hope all you guys are right. I just don't buy that Nix, all the sudden, is going to be a good GM and That Russ Brandon knows anything about football.