Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

Yea, good point. Contrary to what others are stating I'm not condemning this change at all. It would mean people like Bill Cowher / Jon Gruden would now have more interest in the HCing job

I will however still remain skeptical because of Buddy Nix still being in the equation. Nix was the one who chose Gailey in the first place, and up until a few weeks ago believed Gailey was one of the brightest offensive minds in the NFL. It was an organizational move to fire Chan...

Also, contrary to what Rus Brandon stated, I think the talent on the team hasn't really improved that much. If it had, the Bills would have won more games. I look at Nix and see a guy who can find talent off the waiver wire, but not so much in the draft.

When a team is 4-12 / 6-10 just about every acquisition you make should have impact on the team, in free agency and the draft. 1st draft Spiller, 2nd draft Dareus 3rd draft Gilmore, Glenn. Free agency Super Mario! 27 draft choices and 4 players making a big impact. One 100 million dollar FA, he better make an impact for 100 mill.

Perhaps it was bad coaching all around and a new HC and staff will make many of those draft choice look brilliant. After 3 years of Nix, Gailey & Fitz at QB. I just have no faith in Nix to find the Bills next franchise QB or HC.

Color me skeptical and leave it at that. Like you said, lets see how it plays out.

to answer your questions. IMO, Gailey is kept on for now but only transition Whaley in his first official offseason as GM. If Nix will be transitioning to that love then my guess is Whaley will be making the decision at HC hence the trip or rumors about Wiz, Horton, Grimm.

As far as the talent is concerned. I disagree. I believe it's much better than what we had in many areas. Especially of bigger concern. The OLine was non existent before Nix took over. He's moved Wood to C, drafted Or picked up Rhinehardt, Ubrik, Pears, Hairston, Glenn. It's arguably our strongest area of the team now even if 1-2 players go down with injury. That's saying a lot from what it was years ago.

As much as I dislike KW because I think he's over rated, I have to give him credit for not being horrible. Along with Dareus, Mario, and Anderson, Moore, Merriman I'm optimistic which is better than I've felt about it since before the Schobel days.

RB is a better position now with CJ potentiall being one of the more explosive RBs in the game.

WR was worse than it is now with a Parrish injured every 3 weeks, Evans being nothing special. Id take everybody we've got now over what we had then in a heartbeat.

We're not worse at QB but not really better but when was the last time we had a QB throw for 3,000 yards in 3 straight years? Jim Kelly that's when.

We aren't better at LB and that's a fact but its not like we haven't tried.

We're not exactly better at DB but at the same time we could be if Gilmore continues to improve, with Seaecy taking over for Wilson and potentially Williams moving to safety also? We're not really worse than we were before Nix though.

All in all I'd say were better. How that accumulated to LESS wins you ask? Chan Gailey and his inept coaching staff in my opinion. Was he Buddy's fault? Sure. But like I said, I think Whaley will be making these calls now.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Kelly followers know. His NFL suitors are intrigued by his offensive strategies. He runs to set up the pass. On average he runs a offensive play every 13 seconds. That speed requires an o-line that can play at that speed with NO substitutions, The size of O-lineman that he likes average around 285lbs. The Bills O-line is not a kelly type line.

Kelly will want some control over the player decisions. The Bills will not offer a rookie NFL coach this.

Kelly for what its worth and I have NO link, but if he goes and the Duck AD thinks he's leaving. He Is intrigued with Cleveland's situation. Possibly because new ownership is seemingly open to new things. Kelly will bring excitement to a fanbase similar to B-los. New ownership can change a lot of things. Including new found patience if a college coach who ended up close to averiging 52 points a game this season, can eventually win them the prize. And yes he hasn't won squat in D1.

The Bills fan base would for the most part consider it a big deal just qualifying for a wildcard. Again he won't work in that pressure cooker win now or else mentality. Lets face it Bills fans are sick of losing.

Several on this board laugh and consider Kelly's offensive philosophies a gimmick. To the same extent that Billy Beanes critics laughed at what he did to the game of baseball. or in the least the A's.. Not a single MLB team does not use Beane's metrics now, in at least some small way.

Kelly's bust potential at least early on are large. his safest move would be to take a OC job in the NFL, but he's not going that route. Historically at Oregon his Defenses gave sucked. he has shored that up a bit since losing the national championship a couple of years back. If not for the loss to Stanford he would be coaching for the title this month again. But Standford's monster D-line was built and succeeded in beating him.

Kelly is not for the Bills. First, he will need time. For a team that is at 13 years and running of no postseason. Kelly isn't going to take the Bills there in year1 and most likely year 2 neither.Also, nothing short of a monumental contract money and power would lure him to the Bills. He would likely make some huge offensive personal changes, and offensive philosophies. For lovers of the Gailey spread O. You're safe as Kelly will bring a similar look.

In the end he has recently been mentioned as a possible interview for the Bills. meaning finally maybe Brandon, etc. will use due dillegence on hiring. They will not offer what will eventually get him into the NFL. Money and power. Buffalo just can't do both for him. Plus does anyone believe he wants to coach against his friend Bill bellicheat twice a year. Enjoy the rumor mongering.

Brandon isn't hiring him.

Let's just imagine that, against conventional wisdom, ten days from today Chip Kelly is considering an offer from the Bills to become head coach. Isn't it significant that Kelly doesn't have to meet Wilson prior to the offer being made?

I mean, does anyone honestly believe that young, affable Russ Brandon is not a more attractive owner figure than old, out-of-touch Ralph from the perspective of a prospective coach? And does anyone believe that Brandon is more likely than Ralph to capriciously reject a qualified candidate for inconsequential reasons (e.g., Marty in 2010)?

Yes, I'm taking Brandon at his word that Ralph has ceded all ownership responsibility. I suppose it's possible that he's lying. But we have no concrete reason to believe that, and it's usually wisest not to assume facts contrary to those publicly available. So I can't see how today's news isn't good - particularly if you consider the possible post-Ralph implications that I raised early in this thread.

Yes, I'm taking Brandon at his word that Ralph has ceded all ownership responsibility. I suppose it's possible that he's lying. But we have no concrete reason to believe that, and it's usually wisest not to assume facts contrary to those publicly available. So I can't see how today's news isn't good - particularly if you consider the possible post-Ralph implications that I raised early in this thread.

Has anyone seen Prometheus?

If they are going to Arizona tomorrow. They could conveniently meet w chip Kelly who coaches in fiesta bowl there on Thursday

Also sounds like Andy Reid may also be in Arizona right now.

Edited by nobody

Sucked

There was a plot point relevant to the post I quoted.

If Ralph is no longer calling the shots, who pulled the plug on Chan and his whole staff? Nix wanted Chan to stay ? The OL coach did a very good job with all the injuries there.

Nix said today it was ultimately his decision.

Understand, EssJay, that at Buddy's age, lots of men lose at least some power, so Brandon must know something about Nix's power that we don't - like maybe Buddy's taking FloMax, or some generic equivalent. :beer:

Regarding the GM sitch, just my own 2 groszy here : Buddy Nix has been heavily involved with and has intimate knowledge of the Bills scouting, player evaluations, and strategies for for 2013 draft, and therefore will be employed by the team until at least the end of April. (Kinda like the timing when we finally got rid of Modrak.) After May, I would expect a graceful transition to Doug Whaley - or, preferably, some other young new GM that had nothing to do with the old regime.

(I'd be more in favor of David Caldwell as GM, and fellow John Carrol alum Greg Roman as HC - a total 'youth movement' in FO and on-the-field leadership.)

JMO.

Hey D. I totally agree that there is a GM succession plan that the team is not publicly acknowledging. They will not publicly emasculate Nix (which is good for the image of the organization to prospective hires).

Many of the scouts have been in place far longer than 3 years.

As Ramius and Kelly already set you straight on this I'll add that they got rid of Guy and Modrak and hired Gibbons and Cook, guys with solid credentials. They also re-assigned or replaced the majority of the regional scouts. I believe that Whaley has gained power and that Nix has lost power. In the last two years there has been significant tangible change in the football department.

No one is going to change their minds today - this event obviously is a Rorschadt test. Why continue the banter?

A perfect characterization.

If we lost Whaley, to a team like Cleveland, for example, I'm sure some of the critics would find a new target.

Undoubtedly.

Whaley is a young up and comer. And he'll be in charge before too long. Probably right after the 2013 draft.

Regarding the perceived talent on the team, how much is not lack of talent, but lack of development? Seeing former bills successful elsewhere smacks of not properly developing the talent drafted.

Doug Whaley has presided over 3 poor drafts. I too was excited upon his arrival but the proof is in the pudding -- college scouting has been relatively poor under his watch and I take little solace knowing that he's going to take over "at some point." At the end of the day, Russ said it best: "Buddy is still the GM. I think his talent evaluation is second to none. His power has not been reduced."

It's time for a fresh voice to take over the personnel department. Russ Brandon unfortunately disagrees, but the record (and the body of work that is this roster) speak for themselves.

Doug Whaley has presided over 3 poor drafts. I too was excited upon his arrival but the proof is in the pudding -- college scouting has been relatively poor under his watch and I take little solace knowing that he's going to take over "at some point." .

"Doug Whaley was named Assistant General Manager/Director of Pro Personnel of the Buffalo Bills on February 10, 2010. Whaley oversees the team’s Pro Personnel department and assists General Manager Buddy Nix in all football-related administrative duties and in the college talent evaluation process." - Whaley's official bio.

I'm not sure it's fair to say that Whaley is responsible for college scouting or the drafts.

Let me introduce you to this guy named Doug Whaley, http://wgr550.com/Bi...-line-/15163419

If Nix does step down, or move to a different role after the draft, and Whaley is promoted, does that make you feel better? Or you want a full house cleaning in the FO?

Keep in mind, he was an outside hire from a winning team (and possibly strongest organization in the league). And from the moment he was brought in, it was with the plan to replace Buddy at some point. So it's not really an "internal hire" like in the past.

Why do you keep referring to the Steelers as "arguably" "possibly" the "best run team in the league"? They look mighty old the past 2 years and have the same glaring weaknesses each year (offense).

Why do you keep referring to the Steelers as "arguably" "possibly" the "best run team in the league"? They look mighty old the past 2 years and have the same glaring weaknesses each year (offense).

Im talking about the legacy of their ownership and how they have ran the team over the last 50+ years in general. They have 6 Super Bowl wins in 8 appearances which stretch over multiple generations. They have stability in coaching with just 3 in the past how many years? (edit: 44 years! wow!)

Today's PC was all about the top brass running the team. That's what I'm referring to in the Steelers. Not the roster.

Edited by DrDareustein

You mean, maybe they are missing Whaley?

kj

"Doug Whaley was named Assistant General Manager/Director of Pro Personnel of the Buffalo Bills on February 10, 2010. Whaley oversees the team’s Pro Personnel department and assists General Manager Buddy Nix in all football-related administrative duties and in the college talent evaluation process." - Whaley's official bio.

I'm not sure it's fair to say that Whaley is responsible for college scouting or the drafts.

No doubt Whaley has shown to be light years better here than John friggin' Guy... nevertheless, new ownership announced with a thorough housecleaning to follow is the only thing I wanted to see today. :thumbdown: Edited by Rico