Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Elaborate please.

I'm guessing you can use Google with the best of them, but I'll indulge.

2012 players who came on board during Brandon's tenure as GM: Stevie, Levitre, Wood, Byrd and Fitzpatrick as FA. Compare that to the players added during Nix/Gailey tenure, and somehow Brandon/Jauron look much better. I know it's a low standard, but it is what it is. But as the kremlinology science that is decyphering OBD moves over the last decade, you can't draw a simple line connecting the coach/GM to the roster moves and that's been the biggest problem with the Bills - who is actually in charge. No one has been able to answer that question in 6 years, but now it appears that the buck will stop at one man. That's a good thing for the organization that makes me cautiously optimistic again.

Then if you look deeper, you will see that the 2009 draft outside Maybin has been the best Bills draft in a long time. Is it coincidence that for that draft Brandon was GM and Nix started advising on the draft in January?

I liked Brandon's elevation to GM in 2008 and Nix's return to scouting in 2009. Brandon never got a chance to put his stamp on the team, because he inherited a bad coach and just started the rebuild process. From a backwards glance, it looked like the roster started to turn the corner, but a coaching change was needed and I think it would have been a totally different outcome if Brandon stayed as GM and replaced the coach.

But Wilson panicked in 2010 and fell for the line that he needed a "true football" man running the show For the life of me, I haven't the slightest clue of what that means, especially since it's been proven more often than not that football men are clueless in running organizations. Nix's elevation to GM hurt the Bills in many ways, but the biggest was the immediate affirmation that the franchise was a joke in 2010 that couldn't attract top quality coaching, which dominoed into another hasty move to hire Gailey and the disaster 2010 draft to stock up for a 3-4 defense.

As for drafting acumen, we don't know what the Bills draft boards looked like in 2009-2012, nor more importantly do we know who made the ultimate draft calls. But Brandon does and he knows who Buddy favored, who Whaley favored. Grading college scouts should be the easiest job in the world because it's the ultimate 20/20 hindsight score.

So while a whole housecleaning was wished, in reality it was not going to happen to a Ralph Wilson owned team. What you got today was the closest you will get and for the first time in a long time there will be accountability.

I'm guessing you can use Google with the best of them, but I'll indulge.

2012 players who came on board during Brandon's tenure as GM: Stevie, Levitre, Wood, Byrd and Fitzpatrick as FA. Compare that to the players added during Nix/Gailey tenure, and somehow Brandon/Jauron look much better. I know it's a low standard, but it is what it is. But as the kremlinology science that is decyphering OBD moves over the last decade, you can't draw a simple line connecting the coach/GM to the roster moves and that's been the biggest problem with the Bills - who is actually in charge. No one has been able to answer that question in 6 years, but now it appears that the buck will stop at one man. That's a good thing for the organization that makes me cautiously optimistic again.

Then if you look deeper, you will see that the 2009 draft outside Maybin has been the best Bills draft in a long time. Is it coincidence that for that draft Brandon was GM and Nix started advising on the draft in January?

I liked Brandon's elevation to GM in 2008 and Nix's return to scouting in 2009. Brandon never got a chance to put his stamp on the team, because he inherited a bad coach and just started the rebuild process. From a backwards glance, it looked like the roster started to turn the corner, but a coaching change was needed and I think it would have been a totally different outcome if Brandon stayed as GM and replaced the coach.

But Wilson panicked in 2010 and fell for the line that he needed a "true football" man running the show For the life of me, I haven't the slightest clue of what that means, especially since it's been proven more often than not that football men are clueless in running organizations. Nix's elevation to GM hurt the Bills in many ways, but the biggest was the immediate affirmation that the franchise was a joke in 2010 that couldn't attract top quality coaching, which dominoed into another hasty move to hire Gailey and the disaster 2010 draft to stock up for a 3-4 defense.

As for drafting acumen, we don't know what the Bills draft boards looked like in 2009-2012, nor more importantly do we know who made the ultimate draft calls. But Brandon does and he knows who Buddy favored, who Whaley favored. Grading college scouts should be the easiest job in the world because it's the ultimate 20/20 hindsight score.

So while a whole housecleaning was wished, in reality it was not going to happen to a Ralph Wilson owned team. What you got today was the closest you will get and for the first time in a long time there will be accountability.

Brandon is cheap.

Maybe you're right that the roster is better. As you point out, there were so many holes when he joined and quite frankly it's hard not to be marginally better in certain areas of the team. The operative question is this: after 3 drafts and 3 free agency periods, has Nix done enough to warrant this so-called continuity? I don't think he has. His failure to find a franchise QB (or let a long try), coupled with a number of questionable picks in rounds 2-4, along with a defensive unit that ranks among the worst-performing in franchise history in spite of $150 million in free agency expenditures and a bevy of draft picks, yields a singular conclusion: he needs to go.

He wasn't all bad, no. Not at all. He did a few good things. But "not bad" or "he did a few things" is simply not good enough in this league, nor should it be tolerated by this fan base, let alone ownership. The world isn't black and white and I in no way claim that Buddy Nix is devoid of anything good. I'm simply stating that he has not done enough to warrant staying the course.

And thank you Buddy for those contributions. You helped set the right tone and identified a few solid contributors for this franchise. Are you a championship caliber GM? No, and it's not even close. It'd be great if you could stay on as a scout though! :)

+1

You are unbelievable. Nix is being shown the exit, probably for many of the reasons you cite. Out of respect to him and common sense, it isn't being done overnight. Your refusal to acknowledge this is turning your bluster into a crusade.

Fans will be skeptical of Brandon and this recent move until the team does much better and rightfully so.

He said as much today. He effectively called the team a joke and afterthought since the mid 90's. I'd prefer to judge Brandon after he makes his splash. First things first, lets get a coach in here. Then worry about free agency, then the draft. Then, hopefully, this team can deliver some wins.

How does Nix inspire confidence? While it's a positive step in the right direction that Ralph is no longer meddling, I find it hard to believe that the 94 year old Wilson was responsible for the terrible roster decisions made in the past 3 years. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's unfair to characterize it as such. Nix, Gailey and Whaley were responsible. Yet Nix and Whaley remain atop the personnel department? :doh: Only in Buffalo would such blatant ineptitude fly.

All I'm getting from a few of you is petulence. An entire coaching staff dismissed. A longtime meddlesome owner who has stepped aside. A new President who publically admits the brand has been damaged and has new power to right the ship. A young Assistant GM being retained to take the reigns sooner rather than later...

But alas, the bike isn't the right color, so the bike goes over the bridge. If it ain't perfect to everyone, it ain't worth doing I suppose is the message.

All I'm getting from a few of you is petulence. An entire coaching staff dismissed. A longtime meddlesome owner who has stepped aside. A new President who publically admits the brand has been damaged and has new power to right the ship. A young Assistant GM being retained to take the reigns sooner rather than later...

But alas, the bike isn't the right color, so the bike goes over the bridge. If it ain't perfect to everyone, it ain't worth doing I suppose is the message.

Some folks can't take yes for an answer.

You and Kelly nailed it... :thumbsup:

I would venture a guess that all the pissed off realists are more disappointed in the fact that Littman and Overdorf are staying and that Russ called Littman brilliant. Some how Brandon has become the new poster child of hate and displeasure. A lot of popular opinion was based on the fact that nothing changes until new ownership

Exactly, nothing changes until new ownership, and Ralph is still the poster child of hate and displeasure. Until then, they can spin their wheels and shuffle the deck all they want, but any and all of these 'moves' are completely irrelevant.

I hope Whaley is the answer, and he very well may be. The only difference is that I am not willing to disassociate him from the team's performance or the roster-building moves that have been made since he took on a high-ranking front office role.

Love the Bills just like you do though :wub:

When I look at what Nix has done, I am not impressed. He chased his tail at RB. Has IGNORED QB, TE and LB with meaningful draft picks. Yes, he threw a boatload of money at pass rushers, but Anderson was a complete waste and whether Mario Williams has lived up to his billing is irrelevant. What's the POINT in throwing $100 M at the top pass rusher when you don't have a LB on the roster? A guy like him is signed to be the missing piece, not the only piece.

The team is not well constructed.

15 Draft Picks in 3 years for a Defense that turns out to be historically bad...Historically bad...No way that could ever be all coaching...

All but ignoring the QB position when basically they only had Fitz...

And we're keeping this guy?

Sure Nix did some good things in those 3 years...But it was no where near good enough...I truly feel sorry for The Bills fans who are fooled by Buddy's shtick...The comment he made today about the percentages when picking Coaches with experience is EXACTLY who this guy is...He's VERY persuasive...He'll recite percentages and sound like he's right...He may even believe he is right, which would be sad...He talks like he knows exactly what he is doing, and that he knows what he is doing is the right thing...But he's just NOT that good, and he's not right nearly enough...Not saying he's not trying, he is...He's just not good enough at it for the 2013 version of the NFL...He's exactly what he says he is...He's an old school scout...He would still make a good scout today...But NFL scouts don't make decisions...They evaluate...Give their opinion...But they don't make the call...The best Buddy can do is run an NFL Football Organization the way an old school scout would...

Meanwhile there are young guys out there who have learned from the best...And there they go again, passing us by...I'll say the same thing I've said a million times on this board over the past decade plus...I hope I'm wrong...But I'm no where near as easily fooled as I once was...I think the Bills passed a golden opportunity today to move into the present day NFL...They should have dumped the old school scout for a bright young mind...Even if it was Whaley...But the minute Brandon said what he did today about Buddy I immediately recoiled into skeptical mode again...

I'm just not a Nix guy...Again, hope I'm wrong... B-)

Only if those glasses you are wearing help make your hindsight 20/20.

True...But it's Buddy job to know, not mine... B-)

Not based on this season

Cause it's all about one year right? B-)

15 Draft Picks in 3 years for a Defense that turns out to be historically bad...Historically bad...No way that could ever be all coaching...

Sure Nix did some good things in those 3 years...But it was no where near good enough...I truly feel sorry for The Bills fans who are fooled by Buddy's shtick...The comment he made today about the percentages when picking Coaches with experience is EXACTLY who this guy is...He's VERY persuasive...He'll recite percentages and sound like he's right...He may even believe he is right, which would be sad...He talks like he knows exactly what he is doing, and that he knows what he is doing is the right thing...But he's just NOT that good, and he's not right nearly enough...Not saying he's not trying, he is...He's just not good enough at it for the 2013 version of the NFL...He's exactly what he says he is...He's an old school scout...He would still make a good scout today...But NFL scouts don't make decisions...They evaluate...Give their opinion...But they don't make the call...The best Buddy can do is run an NFL Football Organization the way an old school scout would...

Meanwhile there are young guys out there who have learned from the best...And there they go again, passing us by...I'll say the same thing I've said a million times on this board over the past decade plus...I hope I'm wrong...But I'm no where near as easily fooled as I once was...I think the Bills passed a golden opportunity today to move into the present day NFL...They should have dumped the old school scout for a bright young mind...Even if it was Whaley...But the minute Brandon said what he did today about Buddy I immediately recoiled into skeptical mode again...

I'm just not a Nix guy...Again, hope I'm wrong... B-)

True...But it's Buddy job to know, not mine... B-)

Cause it's all about one year right? B-)

Spot on. But... stop being so petulant :)

Thank You!

The bitching and moaning around here is amazing.

Thank You!

The bitching and moaning around here is amazing.

Is it really amazing though? It is like the child who asks for a toy all year long for Christmas, Christmas comes and he gets it, then throws it in the corner and says this is a dumb toy...

I know where you're coming from. I work with a guy who's convinced half the people that he's an expert based on forceful delivery, yet when you take an objective look, he's an empty suit. That's Buddy in a nut shell as the GM. But as you say, he's a very good scout and there's no reason for Bills to waste his talent there.

You have to read in between the lines of today's announcement. No way no how is Buddy the true GM of this team any longer. I have a hunch that Brandon didn't like getting pushed aside in 2010 and this is his revenge. I could care less what he said of Buddy's record at the PC today. He has to say those things about his employee. But the bottom line is that Brandon put himself on the line as the decision maker, and that is a momentous change at OBD.