Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

I wonder how long Brandon knew about this transition before it was finalized.

Regardless, to go off half-cocked and start firing everybody willy-nilly would be a great way to convince Ralph that he had made a horrible mistake and turned his enterprise over to a nutbag.

I think that must be what Dawgg & Co. want - blood. They wanted the Bills to come today and say, That's it, we've had it, we're firing Nix and dumping his office belongings out the window - just completely burn the guy. Instead, they do what any respectable business does (and one that might want to attract future talent) - they play it the subtle way. Anyone who has worked in the business world understood the message that was sent today by OBD - they're pissed, things are changing, and Nix is out. To ask for more than that, and instant gratification, is both unreasonable and immature.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He only gives RF the contract if he believes him to be the guy (oops).

I hope all you guys are right. I just don't buy that Nix, all the sudden, is going to be a good GM and That Russ Brandon knows anything about football.

So, you are just going to continually ignore that Nix has one foot out the door? I don't even really consider him the GM anymore, as I am fully convinced he'll be out in a few months. Is he just the biggest target that allows you to vent?

But they aren't. The ENTIRE COACHING STAFF IS GONE. Buddy Nix's SUCCESSOR is sitting right there in the PC and will travel everywhere with him. How often does an assistant GM EVER do that? All signs point to him leaving sooner rather than later. How is this in any way shape or form the same decision makers?

The coaching staff doesn't "buy the groceries" and Buddy Nix IS the GM. He is the same decision maker. Nix built this mess. I'd have a lot more respect for Brandon if he just gave it to Whaley now. But no, let's let Buddy screw 1 more draft up...

Like I said. I hope you guys are right. But it seems like Koolaid to me.

The coaching staff doesn't "buy the groceries" and Buddy Nix IS the GM. He is the same decision maker. Nix built this mess. I'd have a lot more respect for Brandon if he just gave it to Whaley now. But no, let's let Buddy screw 1 more draft up...

Like I said. I hope you guys are right. But it seems like Koolaid to me.

How do you even know Buddy is going to make the calls in the draft and not Whaley? Especially if Whaley is the heir apparent? If they are taking Whaley on the coaching search, 1.) How much pull does Nix really still have? 2.) If Nix was staying around for 2 or 3 more years would they really bring Whaley?

Nix removed the dead wood and brought in new scouts, groomed Whaley on scouting college players and is getting ready to ride off into the sunset...

So, you are just going to continually ignore that Nix has one foot out the door? I don't even really consider him the GM anymore, as I am fully convinced he'll be out in a few months. Is he just the biggest target that allows you to vent?

He should have been let go today then. While I agree he has one foot out the door. What value is a lame duck GM? He certainly cannot be viewed as a positive in the coaching search.

IMO I don't want him anywhere near picking another quarterback or anyone for that matter. In fact a new coach with past success probably wants some input there too. The Bills are stuck with any Nix personnel moves this day forward. I am on the side that says he has drafted poorly.

He only gives RF the contract if he believes him to be the guy (oops).

I hope all you guys are right. I just don't buy that Nix, all the sudden, is going to be a good GM and That Russ Brandon knows anything about football.

What type of contract should he have given our soon to be free agent qb? And if he declined your proposed lower bid what do you do from there as a contingency?

A below average pay contract that's easy to walk away from seems like what a GM that doesn't love the qb but doesn't have an ace up his sleeve offers there. That's what nix gave fitz.

Edited by NoSaint

What type of contract should he have given our soon to be free agent qb? And if he declined your proposed lower bid what do you do from there as a contingency?

First off, the extension was given on October 28th, before even evaluating the QB over the course of a full season. A more prudent approach would have been to evaluate the body of work over the course of a full season. If he tears the league up on a consistent basis, the franchise tag is at your disposal. One need to look no further than Rob Johnson to undertand the fallacy in handing out large contract extensions to non-rookie players who have yet to prove themselves on a consistent basis. And guess what: Jim Overdorf was behind both contract negotiations. Glad to know he's heading up the "football operations" department and has a job for life :)

A below average pay contract that's easy to walk away from seems like what a GM that doesn't love the qb but doesn't have an ace up his sleeve offers there. That's what nix gave fitz.

Perhaps, but if he truly didn't love the QB, as you allege, why wasn't one drafted in April? Why weren't there any worthy competitors in camp? His actions (or lack thereof) speak for themselves.

Edited by Dawgg

the one piece I saw on the news was that Nix signed in for 3 more years. Not sure what that meant. Weird to say the least since RB said he would be transitioning to Whaley. Unless Buddy took a 3 year extension that included him stepping down as GM and going back to scouting full time. Just on option but I'm unclear to say the least.

A below average pay contract that's easy to walk away from seems like what a GM that doesn't love the qb but doesn't.. have an ace up his sleeve offers there. That's what nix gave fitz.

For the journeyman QB who has never won in the NFL, you let him complete more of the season or the whole season before you declare him to be your guy. Now Fitz is a $10M albatross (that's $2m more than Sanchez).

First off, the extension was given on October 28th, before even evaluating the QB over the course of a full season. A more prudent approach would have been to evaluate the body of work over the course of a full season. If he tears the league up on a consistent basis, the franchise tag is at your disposal. One need to look no further than Rob Johnson to undertand the fallacy in handing out large contract extensions to non-rookie players who have yet to prove themselves on a consistent basis. And guess what: Jim Overdorf was behind both contract negotiations. Glad to know he's heading up the "football operations" department and has a job for life :)

Perhaps, but if he truly didn't love the QB, as you allege, why wasn't one drafted in April? Why weren't there any worthy competitors in camp? His actions (or lack thereof) speak for themselves.

You keep saying large. I know 10m isn't exactly modest for a paycheck but.... It's below average. His peer group includes 3 guys that have been benched or are fighting for jobs (Flynn, Alex smith, or kolb). Below average pay, easy to walk away from, pay scale in line with his play- all true. He isn't overpaid based on 5 games. He's paid in line with his play... A sad assessment of qb pay checks.

Now if you couple that with the long track record of non first round qbs panning out terribly, and us not passing on a single successful first round qb....

I think you get an honest assessment of how we got here.

Were guys missed in the process? Sure.

Were we all in with fitz and giving him a huge contract and no desire to upgrade? I really don't think that would be fair to say at all. If luck came out "on schedule" I think cam 100% would've been the choice. If we had any shot to get to luck or RG3 I think we would've done it. If nix believes in first round qbs as the answer then we've passed on luck, gabbert, tebow, wheeden, some might say clausen, a trade up for tannehill...

Mistakes made passing on Wilson (has a 3rd rounder ever shot out of the gate like this?), dalton (a marginal upgrade in my opinion) and kaepernick (I think highly overrated, unproven and the least polished/largest project of the group)

For the journeyman QB who has never won in the NFL, you let him complete more of the season or the whole season before you declare him to be your guy. Now Fitz is a $10M albatross (that's $2m more than Sanchez).

Sanchez is on a 5 year 58m deal. Fitz got a 6 year 59m deal.

Just saying.

No ones arguing we got it right, just that we should be honest about what was wrong. He missed guys but it wasn't nearly the epic event most portray. No one ever gave fitz a monster contract and declared him a future hall of famer that should never be questioned. It was an evaluation of a couple middle of their draft class qbs being rated too low that was flubbed, that's all (and in hindsight major, yes)

Edited by NoSaint

If Russ Brandon understands Bills Fans frustration and unhappiness after 13 lousy years of football, Why wouldn't you? People have a right to express skepticism, while wanting and hoping for much better.

Its the same expressions for 40+ pages.

We get it already.

Russ Brandon is part of the problem and Buddy Nix sucks at being a GM.

Lets move on.

You keep saying large. I know 10m isn't exactly modest for a paycheck but.... It's below average. His peer group includes 3 guys that have been benched or are fighting for jobs (Flynn, Alex smith, or kolb). Below average pay, easy to walk away from, pay scale in line with his play- all true. He isn't overpaid based on 5 games. He's paid in line with his play... A sad assessment of qb pay checks.

Now if you couple that with the long track record of non first round qbs panning out terribly, and us not passing on a single successful first round qb....

I think you get an honest assessment of how we got here.

Were guys missed in the process? Sure.

Were we all in with fitz and giving him a huge contract and no desire to upgrade? I really don't think that would be fair to say at all. If luck came out "on schedule" I think cam 100% would've been the choice. If we had any shot to get to luck or RG3 I think we would've done it. If nix believes in first round qbs as the answer then we've passed on luck, gabbert, tebow, wheeden, some might say clausen, a trade up for tannehill...

Mistakes made passing on Wilson (has a 3rd rounder ever shot out of the gate like this?), dalton (a marginal upgrade in my opinion) and kaepernick (I think highly overrated, unproven and the least polished/largest project of the group)

Sanchez is on a 5 year 58m deal. Fitz got a 6 year 59m deal.

Just saying.

No ones arguing we got it right, just that we should be honest about what was wrong. He missed guys but it wasn't nearly the epic event most portray. No one ever gave fitz a monster contract and declared him a future hall of famer that should never be questioned. It was an evaluation of a couple middle of their draft class qbs being rated too low that was flubbed, that's all (and in hindsight major, yes)

Next year, Fitz is a 10M cap hit and Sanchez is an 8M cap hit. After next year, both are disposable.

Still Koolaid.

Edited by JPS

But they aren't. The ENTIRE COACHING STAFF IS GONE. Buddy Nix's SUCCESSOR is sitting right there in the PC and will travel everywhere with him. How often does an assistant GM EVER do that? All signs point to him leaving sooner rather than later. How is this in any way shape or form the same decision makers?

I hear you...But Whaley said himself today that he would not be making the HC decision...He said he would have input on the ex Steeler guys...That's it...I understand what you are saying, and I hope you are right...But that is not at all what was said to each and every one of us today...Brandon did not just say that Nix would return at GM...He said he was the GM and there was never any doubt whatsoever that he would stay...They gave no indication on a time limit for Nix outside of a very vague "He's 70 and he can't do this forever..." And in fact Brandon said quite clearly that Buddy would weigh in on the Coaching decision and the whole Football side heavily...He said Buddy is still in charge there...Period...Call me skeptical, but this is The Bills we are talking about...It's a step forward for sure...But in order for me to be all-in there are assumptions here that I'm uncomfortable with until they happen...I did like a ton of what Brandon said though...I like Brandon a lot...

We'll see if the paranoia is valid or not...I'm just saying that if you take what was said today at face value, it's WAY too much Nix for my liking... B-)

So imagine your a coach being brought in for a visit to discuss the Bills head coaching vacancy.

First, you walk into a room with Russ Brandon, Jim Overdorf, Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley (those are the 4 that are flying out to AZ) and you gotta be thinking whats going on here? You have a salesmen who is now the surrogate for Ralph Wilson, a bean counter in Overdorf, a GM, but we're not sure for how much longer GM in Nix, and an assistant GM about to be GM at somepoint down the line, we're just not sure when in Whaley.

What's your thought going to be sitting down with these four?

First thing I'm going to notice is the front office looks like an absolute mess with too many people involved in the decison making process. Look there is nothing wrong with having checks and balances within an organization, but theres just too much going on at One Bills Drive for my liking.

My biggest dislike starts at the (now) very top with Russ Brandon. This guy has just always struck me the wrong way. I have absolutely no confidence in Russ Brandon, a glorified inventory salesmen, leading this football team in the right direction. In fact he's already failed once, given the fact he was (kinda, sorta) the GM a few years back. That's the problem with the Bills, there's so many people who have their hands involved in this cluster eff, that when things hit the fan no one even knows where to lay the blame. Is it Donahoe, Modrak, Mularkey, Littman, Overdorf, Juaron, Levy, Nix, Brandon, Whaley, Gailey. Whos calling the shots? Nobody freaking knows.

I think giving Russ Brandon MORE POWER symbolizes everything that is wrong with Buffalo. We haven't made the playoffs in 13 years, haven't had a winning season in 8 years, so let's let a salesmen/businessman who has been around for the last 16 years, and also had a brief and failed stint as GM lead the way to find our next head coach. No thanks, sounds like an absolute disaster to me.

Not that it means anything either, but does anybody else think Russ is a little full of himself. He was wearing what looked like a Super Bowl ring on his hand during todays presser, what was that his high school senior ring? Also he has Thurman Thomas and Ruben Brown with him in the back of the room at his presser, almost like he's a wannabe with his possee.

I really hope 3 years from now I look back at this post and totally eat crow. I hope the Bills go on a tremendous run these next 10 years and I can look back on today and think good things, but my brain is telling me today is just more of the same. I don't think the solution to right this ship is MORE Russ Brandon.

Anybody else feel the same way?

I keep seeing people call Brandon a "bean-counter" or "glorified salesman" and asking what credentials he has for running an organization. The guy is a business man and those ARE the people who run organizations. Football men are great as GMs and coaches but nobody is putting a football guy in charge of a company - which is what the Bills are.

So as long as he hires the appropriate football men for the right spots and then steps back and let's them do their jobs I'll be fine with him.

So imagine your a coach being brought in for a visit to discuss the Bills head coaching vacancy.

I don't think it's altogether uncommon for multiple team executives to take part in the interview process to varying degrees. We don't really know how many people are literally sitting in the room with the candidate, anyhow.

Russ does actually have a World Series ring from his time with the Florida Marlins in the late '90s, BTW--- although I'm not certain he was wearing it during the press conference. I think it's possible you're being a little harsh, but it's very understandable considering where this organization has been these past 13 seasons. Even the most optimistic of fans are leery after today.

I keep seeing people call Brandon a "bean-counter" or "glorified salesman" and asking what credentials he has for running an organization. The guy is a business man and those ARE the people who run organizations. Football men are great as GMs and coaches but nobody is putting a football guy in charge of a company - which is what the Bills are.

So as long as he hires the appropriate football men for the right spots and then steps back and let's them do their jobs I'll be fine with him.

I'm just surprised how many people know what the day to day of the Bills organization. The truth is..all we know is he has been with the organization for some time and done well. That he is respected as a businessman. He was GM for a brief period of time which did not go well.

GMs don't hire GMs on any team. The 'Football' guys don't hire the guy who runs the 'Football' side on any team unless you consider Jerry Jones a 'Football' guy.

On a side note, when did businessman become accountant btw? I am reasonably confident he he does not handle the accounting. I'm not aware that he has ever held the position of accountant.

I have absolutely no faith in Russ Brandon. Everyone forgets Russ was the de facto GM from 2008-2010, between Levy and Nix. How'd that work out. I don't know what the solution is to turn the Bills into winners, but I know it's NOT MORE Russ Brandon. You gotta give the Bills credit for b;lowing a lot of smoke today and making everything sound great, but what they're essentially selling is more Russ Brandon. What I'm saying is Russ Brandon was a failure before and he'll likely be a failure again.

More of the same at One Bills Drive, this time just packaged in a prettier wrapping paper with a nice bow on top.

I have absolutely no faith in Russ Brandon. Everyone forgets Russ was the de facto GM from 2008-2010, between Levy and Nix. How'd that work out.

Spending more than a few minutes on this board should tell you that probably no one has forgotten that Russ Brandon was more or less de facto GM for a brief period. It's important to note that he is not the GM now. He stated rather emphatically today that he will not be responsible for football operations--- he won't be selecting draft picks or signing free agents. I'm wary of him a bit myself, but I'll take him at his word until he proves otherwise.