Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

So I guess the thought is keep Nix for political reasons....that Whaley is really the "shadow GM"....that Buddy Nix will be stepping aside sometime over the next few months??? If that's it....I disagree.

Based on everything I've seen (pressers) and read (everything), Buddy Nix is your GM and will be making all football decisions, "just like he has for the past 3 years". I think Buddy's 1 more crappy season or major controversy away from stepping aside. But as long as the general public thinks the assembled pile smells like roses, I guess he gets to decide when he steps aside.

If Whaley is the GM, call him that. He's not. And really, god knows what that means if he is, but I'd love the change.

You're 100% correct...There is no way while listening to that Presser live, or reading the transcripts now, anyone can come to any other conclusion...Unless you think somehow the Bills are being run like the CIA now and everything concerning the present and future on the Football side is cryptic... :huh:

The Bills Football side is 100% controlled by Buddy...Only now he has to run everything through the Brandon filter instead of the Ralph filter...And for those who feel Whaley will be in charge soon enough...We'll see...But Brandon was clear Buddy was staying on, there was no timeline given whatsoever for a change, and it was never said that Whaley would be taking over...Implied? Maybe...Said outright? Not at all...What was said plain as day and crystal clear is that Buddy is in charge still and he has 100% of Brandon's confidence...

Read it and tell me you can come to any other conclusion...http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/Bills-Transcript--185373322.html

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But people were saying that 3 years ago when ChaNix joined. And years before that when Jauron joined. And yet, here we still sit with the same tired "can't be fixed overnight'. At what point is it not considered overnight anymore? Brandon has been around in one capacity or another for the last 16 years I believe. That's one long ass night! :)

I have no doubt that Brandon will do everything in his power to get a quality HC and QB. Just like I'm sure he did when all the coaches and QBs of the past 16 years were hired.

We can only hope the Bills will get a good HC and QB this time around. If they don't, it won't be due to lack of effort. But it wasn't the previous times either.

Good point and this hasn't been talked about too much here.

Three years seems to be the number that a lot of people use when it comes to regime changes.

Brandon and the organization know that the fanbase is very impatient. They've publicly stated that the team is more talented than it was when Nix/Gailey took over.

Most of us fans believe the talent level has been upgraded as well.

Is it possible that this team is poised for a quick turnaround?

Nothing has changed at OBD. RW wasn't calling the shots, recently, anyways. RB has been with Ralph for 16 years, he can probably finish RW's sentences by now. What makes us think things will be any different? RB isn't a football guy, either, so Nix running things by Russ doesn't make me feel any better.

My opinion will change if and only if RB puts together an elite staff of coaches and assistant coaches that truly inspire hope and confidence to not only the team, but the fan base, as well. If he can pull that off, then I'll back, what appears to be at this time, this cosmetic decision.

A few things people seem to struggle with.

1. GMs generally do not make Top Down Decisions. Generally in the NFL a GM doesn't say, "We"re drafting a QB round 1. Specifically we're drafting Geno Smith. Make it Happen." This is not how the role of a GM works. A GM will take the information from their scouting department and other contributors weigh the information, discuss options with their staff. Then take that bottom up information into consideration and use their judgment and experience to make a decision.

2. Buddy Nix, Hired and recruited Doug Whaley. Buddy Nix did this with the intent to turn the GM role over to him in time.

3. A top notch coaching candidate wants a Front Office that is stable.

The Constant axing of GMs and Coaches after a 3 year run IS THE REASON WHY A TOP TIER CANDIDATE DOES NOT WANT THE BUFFALO BILLS COACHING JOB.

Not the location, not the weather, not the old owner.

An organization that is in constant churn is a bad organization to join.

Axing Buddy Nix only shows that organization is impatient and has no long term strategy.

Keeping Nix, and seeing a smooth transition to Whaley is something a TOP TIER COACHING CANDIDATE WOULD LIKELY WANT TO SEE HAPPEN.

You can say what you want about Nix as a GM, he is clearly a mind you want to consult when it comes to shopping for talent.

There are people that can say he hasn't down a good job of adding talent and that the talent he has added is in comparison to the low bar the Bills have set for the last 13 years. That is an opinion everyone is entitled to have.

However the talent on the team in 2008 was laughable. Both lines offensive and defensive were a joke. You win football games in the trenches.

The Bills were basically an expansion team in 2009. Buddy Nix has built this team from the lines out and imo done a good job of that. We are a 2 LBs and a QB away from being a playoff team in my imo.

That is much better than 2008. I would go as far to say if someone argued that the talent on the roster was better in 2008 than 2012 you are lying or being argumentive for arguments sake.

So has Buddy Nix showed us the Baby? No.

Has the team improved talent wise since he has been involved with the bills? Yes

Are the wins there? No.

So do we continue the churn in the Front Office and Nix Nix? I say No. Show some stability to the coaching candidate. Show the GM transition plan to the candidate that I am CERTAIN 1.) EXISTS 2.) NIX IS AWARE OF AND 3.) NIX LIKELY HELPED TO CREATE.

Some will say Yes, Nix Nix; Heads must Roll!

Well guess what the Bills have tried that every couple of years.

IT HASN'T WORKED. What level of insanity would tell you that it would work again?

Edited by Why So Serious?

Nothing has changed at OBD. RW wasn't calling the shots, recently, anyways. RB has been with Ralph for 16 years, he can probably finish RW's sentences by now. What makes us think things will be any different? RB isn't a football guy, either, so Nix running things by Russ doesn't make me feel any better.

My opinion will change if and only if RB puts together an elite staff of coaches and assistant coaches that truly inspire hope and confidence to not only the team, but the fan base, as well. If he can pull that off, then I'll back, what appears to be at this time, this cosmetic decision.

Personally I don't give a flying !@#$ if RB inspires hope in anybody, much less the fan base. He can hire an unknown asst for all I care, as long as he is good at his job and the Bills start winning! !@#$ hope and confidence, WIN!

Edited by CodeMonkey

Wouldn't that be nice for a change.

Personally speaking, at this point it's almost necessary.

Personally I don't give a flying !@#$ if RB inspires hope in anybody, much less the fan base. He can hire an unknown asst for all I care, as long as he is good at his job and the Bills start winning! !@#$ hope and confidence, WIN!

Amen.

Disagree. Not gone at all. When Mr. Wilson passes the team will be sold. That is all but guaranteed. Any new ownership could break the lease. It would just be expensive (but not necessarily prohibitive) to do so. If the PC announced what many were hoping, some kind of transfer of ownership to a Jim Kelly group for example. Then the "spectre of relocation" would be gone.

A new owner/group won't spend $800M on the team, $400M to break the lease, and another $400M for the NFL's relocation fee. Even moreso when they would more than likely have to kick-in money for a new stadium in their new city.

At first I was excited to hear the Ralph ceded power to a younger professional who is eager to make his mark on the Bills as well as the rest of the NFL.

Then I realized that, wait a minute, Ralph is 94 and by all accounts a new owner will be in place who most likely will bring in his own people to run the show. So what is the point of Ralph stepping down and propping Russ Brandon up as the new caesar? Unless he is leaving the Bills to Brandon in his will, this doesn't really make sense.

Ralph should have just sold the team if he didn't want the burden and responsibility of being "the guy". I like Ralph and appreciate everything he's done for the Bills and Buffalo area, but does he think he is going to live forever? Or maybe this was a plot designed by the new owners (perhaps a Jim Kelly led group) to soften the perception of the Bills and create a new image that is more coach friendly.

With all due respect to Ralph, when he passes,which could be any day at his age, Russ's vision and leadership of the Bills most likely ends.

It just seems odd to me. Thoughts?

Don't over analyze.

Mr. Wilson is old and in failing health. He realized he can no longer do what he was doing with the Bills. He turned over day to day control to someone he trusts and someone who has been part of his organization (and in my opinion probably making most decisions in recent years anyway) for 16 years. Simple as that.

Make no mistake, Brandon is picking the next HC. You are the only one who doesn't believe this.

And as I pointed out, the Bills make money no mater how inept their administration, wo why keep saying Brandon is great at making money. Also, the Bills arent' going anywhere until a new owner decides to move them. Nothing to do with Brandon.

Make no mistake, Brandon is picking the next HC. You are the only one who doesn't believe this.

And as I pointed out, the Bills make money no mater how inept their administration, wo why keep saying Brandon is great at making money. Also, the Bills arent' going anywhere until a new owner decides to move them. Nothing to do with Brandon.

Well now wait a minute, I thought you said we should take the comments as gospel...and Brandon clearly said that Buddy had final say on the coach...

So which is it?

Well now wait a minute, I thought you said we should take the comments as gospel...and Brandon clearly said that Buddy had final say on the coach...

So which is it?

I actually believe Whaley will have the most say in the HC decision.

But at the end of the day we don't know what is going on at OBD right now. But I'll tell you one thing I'm pretty certain of .... It is a busy place.

Why does everyone assume that whoever buys the Bills is going to be so wonderful and solve all our problems? How many Terry Pegula's do you think there are? Ralph was not good but trust me there can definitely be worse owners, like someone who wants to wreck the team even more to move them away. Think John Y. Brown and the Buffalo Braves.

PTR

Someone said it in another thread and I'm inclined to agree:

It's a symbolic gesture to HC candidates that Ralph Wilson will not interfere with them if they take the job. Likewise, it may be a fair point that they are keeping Nix to appear to be a stable organization. From where I sit, it's the only logically reason to keep Nix here.

Why does everyone assume that whoever buys the Bills is going to be so wonderful and solve all our problems? How many Terry Pegula's do you think there are? Ralph was not good but trust me there can definitely be worse owners, like someone who wants to wreck the team even more to move them away. Think John Y. Brown and the Buffalo Braves.

PTR

Brown was a prick.

Someone said it in another thread and I'm inclined to agree:

It's a symbolic gesture to HC candidates that Ralph Wilson will not interfere with them if they take the job. Likewise, it may be a fair point that they are keeping Nix to appear to be a stable organization. From where I sit, it's the only logically reason to keep Nix here.

It also allows us to get started looking for a new coach instead of having to hire a GM first. Whaley will likely be the guy in 6 months anyway.

PTR

I disagree with your claim that Brandon will pick the next HC. But just out of curiosity, who are your choices for HC?

I really think Brandon has been calling the shots for years as it was. .

I also believe Nix was retained for another "bullet in the chamber", so they can scapegoat him at the end of next season to placate the fans while preserving the Overdorfs, Brandons, and Littmans awhile longer.

Edited by May Day 10

Russ Brandon's Tenure as President

has been an out and out failure!

Please define failure. Not making the playoffs? Not his job. Selling tickets and suites and maximizing revenue so we are in good shape? I'd say he's done well.

PTR