Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

This post is so wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start. Brandon is a star, both here and around the league for what he does. As far as he stays out of making football personnel decisions he's absolutely great at his job and is well known around the league for it. Southern Ontario now buys as many seats to the Bills games as Rochester because of the Toronto thing. It's been a huge success for the Bills (regardless of the games there). St John Fisher is his thing and has been an enormous unqualified success.

New owners, IMO, would barely even consider getting rid of him.

The question is: Would Brandon be kept as a President/CEO. Marketing guy, yes. As THEE guy.....only the Bills would hire the guy....only the Bills would keep the guy. He has no football qualifications (other than being part of whatever happened in the last 16 years in Bflo).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, doc--I was so looking for ward t a peek at the Wizard! Anyway, the point is why build this up as such a big deal, when on the surface it doesn't seem to be a sea change....unless you truly believe that Brandon has always been the guy being held back by Ralph. Or if you really believe Ralph has made all of these bad decisions on his own and agaisnt the advice of Brandon/Nix/etc. Not even you would say you believe that.

I am completely confident that anyone on this board could have run this team over the past 10 years and not lost a penny. Owning an NFL franchise comes with guaranteed income. Throw in an infinitely loyal and patient fanbase and you are printing money. How can you dispute this??

Really? Because you say so, Brandon is seen as a star around the league? And guess what? His new job is making football decisions--in fact, he is now the ultmate decision maker on this team. Ralph jus tmade him that--that's the whole point of the announcement and this discussion.

The Toronto "thing" has been a huge one time money infusion success for Ralph. We only know about an increase in season tiickets from Ontario because Brandon told us so.

A week ago, were you really thinking to yourself or telling others that if only Russ Brandon could be the unfettered ultimate decision maker of this franchise we would be much better off? I don't believe you were even considering it. But now it's a great idea, right?

So who do you think should be running the show? Any ideas of just feel like complaining.

yeah, doc--I was so looking for ward t a peek at the Wizard! Anyway, the point is why build this up as such a big deal, when on the surface it doesn't seem to be a sea change....unless you truly believe that Brandon has always been the guy being held back by Ralph. Or if you really believe Ralph has made all of these bad decisions on his own and agaisnt the advice of Brandon/Nix/etc. Not even you would say you believe that.

Again, the buildup was proven to be false and this time around Brandon won't be making football decisions again. As for who will be making the decisions, Whaley may have more of a say since he's being groomed for the job. I don't know. But I'd like to hear any names of people who would definitely do a better job.

The question is: Would Brandon be kept as a President/CEO. Marketing guy, yes. As THEE guy.....only the Bills would hire the guy....only the Bills would keep the guy. He has no football qualifications (other than being part of whatever happened in the last 16 years in Bflo).

How is it that after nearly 50 pages of discussion, you still seem to be under the impression that Brandon will be making football decisions? That's Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley's job, as Brandon very clearly stated many times. Brandon is running the business side of things, which he is indeed qualified for, as you will be able to tell easily as you look into his background in such venues.

I swear I'm not picking on you, I just really need you to explain why you think this is true if you're going to keep railing against the idea (one which seemingly has no basis) in a public forum.

I guess you're choosing to take Brandon's words at face value, ignoring the evidence so far. I realize also that your post is from almost 3 hours ago so you might now view this differently.

Funny. It seems like you were doing as much lambasting as anyone.

Regardless, why are the former Pittsburgh guys being interviewed? Why is Whisenhunt (attributed quotes via tweets) talking about working with Brandon and Whaley, but not Nix?

So now that your questions have been answered upthread, do the explanations hold any water for you?

There was a thread merge here I think but upthread are some thoughts on your question.

So I guess the thought is keep Nix for political reasons....that Whaley is really the "shadow GM"....that Buddy Nix will be stepping aside sometime over the next few months??? If that's it....I disagree.

Based on everything I've seen (pressers) and read (everything), Buddy Nix is your GM and will be making all football decisions, "just like he has for the past 3 years". I think Buddy's 1 more crappy season or major controversy away from stepping aside. But as long as the general public thinks the assembled pile smells like roses, I guess he gets to decide when he steps aside.

If Whaley is the GM, call him that. He's not. And really, god knows what that means if he is, but I'd love the change.

Again, the buildup was proven to be false and this time around Brandon won't be making football decisions again. As for who will be making the decisions, Whaley may have more of a say since he's being groomed for the job. I don't know. But I'd like to hear any names of people who would definitely do a better job.

Part of me believes the entire reason for the press conference was to attempt to attract more/better HC candidates by telling everyone that Ralph is no longer involved, since Ralph is/was the largest roadblock in finding a quality head coach.

A way to tell the NFL community that the "Old man aint in charge no more".

The fact that the fans got to hear it was just bonus.

How is it that after nearly 50 pages of discussion, you still seem to be under the impression that Brandon will be making football decisions? That's Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley's job, as Brandon very clearly stated many times. Brandon is running the business side of things, which he is indeed qualified for, as you will be able to tell easily as you look into his background in such venues.

I swear I'm not picking on you, I just really need you to explain why you think this is true if you're going to keep railing against the idea (one which seemingly has no basis) in a public forum.

He is responsible for thee most important football decision made, that Buddy Nix should be the GM going forward. Day to day, I agree with you, he's not the GM and I wouldn't expect him to be. But part of being the CEO is to know something about the football side of the business, to be aware. It's still under his umbrella. It's like you're saying the CEO of McDonalds doesn't need to know anything about food.

Don't worry. Pick on me all day. I'll take all comers on this....or anything I have a strong opinion on.

Part of me believes the entire reason for the press conference was to attempt to attract more/better HC candidates by telling everyone that Ralph is no longer involved, since Ralph is/was the largest roadblock in finding a quality head coach.

That actually makes alot of sense.

I still don't understand, San Jose. If Whaley is actually the GM and Nix is an advisor, just share that with everyone! We gain nothing by telling everyone Nix is in charge when he isn't.

Now we're left in this muddled mess to argue with each other about who's doing what...a lack of clarity and accountability that has become far too familiar.

I don't totally agree with what I believe the Bills strategy is.

It could certainly be argued that if the plan is for an immediate behind the scenes succession to Whaley, that the team should be forthcoming about it.

As has been suggested by myself and others, the public emasculation of Buddy Nix (a trusted and valued soldier) would not shine well on the organization.

Perhaps they are just trying to find a way to do this gracefully.

Just my thoughts.

From a pragmatic standpoint, I'm not sure it matters anyways as long as the new hires know the score.

I don't totally agree with what I believe the Bills strategy is.

It could certainly be argued that if the plan is for an immediate behind the scenes succession to Whaley, that the team should be forthcoming about it.

As has been suggested by myself and others, the public emasculation of Buddy Nix (a trusted and valued soldier) would not shine well on the organization.

Perhaps they are just trying to find a way to do this gracefully.

Just my thoughts.

From a pragmatic standpoint, I'm not sure it matters anyways as long as the new hires know the score.

Agreed. Those same fans that are calling for the "honest truth" and for heads to publicly roll, would be the first fans to bash the franchise for being unable to attract quality hires because of how badly they mishandled those same firings.

It's about the franchise establishing some class and allowing their professionals to move on with dignity instead of feuding with them like Polian and Wade Phillips.

Some posters just cant see that because theyre all emotion and have no idea how conducting business in a public manner works.

Perhaps. And with the lease deal all but guaranteeing that the Bills stay for at least the next 7 years, the spectre of relocation after Ralph passes is gone.

Right. This is the same Brandon who was soundly and roundly mocked here for his stint as GM not long ago (where he convinced Ralph to re-sing Jauron well before his contract was up. No he is the one who will figure it all out and turn the franchise around. Can anyone honestly say that, after his tenure as GM ended (and after the past horrible 6 years) they thought "hey, I can really see and look forward to Russ Brandon making all of the football decisions for this team 3 or 4 years down the road".

And yet the Bills had their best draft in 14-15 years when Brandon was GM and Nix was head national scout.

We were all teased and primed for 2 days about some earth shaking announcement. There was fevered talk of a very important video message being secretly recorded under tight security which would feature a boldly and freshly coiffed and Ensure-bulked Ralph telling us something "big" (a new owner, of course!).

Who are the bigger idiots - the guys in charge at OBD, or the ones who believe the twiitersphere? Who teased you? And what does that say about your standing to criticize, since you fell for an internet rumor hook line & sinker?

Perhaps. And with the lease deal all but guaranteeing that the Bills stay for at least the next 7 years, the spectre of relocation after Ralph passes is gone.

Disagree. Not gone at all. When Mr. Wilson passes the team will be sold. That is all but guaranteed. Any new ownership could break the lease. It would just be expensive (but not necessarily prohibitive) to do so. If the PC announced what many were hoping, some kind of transfer of ownership to a Jim Kelly group for example. Then the "spectre of relocation" would be gone.

He is responsible for thee most important football decision made, that Buddy Nix should be the GM going forward. Day to day, I agree with you, he's not the GM and I wouldn't expect him to be. But part of being the CEO is to know something about the football side of the business, to be aware. It's still under his umbrella. It's like you're saying the CEO of McDonalds doesn't need to know anything about food.

Okay, at least now we are on the same page as to what you mean when you say that Brandon is making football decisions...this makes it much easier to discuss.

According to many successful CEO's of major corporations (Howard Schulz, Steve Jobs, etc.), what's really important is not that you know the details of the business that you're running, but rather that you surround yourself with the people that do. It's a principle that was termed by Andrew Carnegie (arguably the most successful businessman of all time) and chronicled by Napoleon Hill as the "Mastermind Principle". I think Russ is the type of a guy that knows how to do that, and I think it will show over time with guys like Whaley. I do trust Nix's ability to evaluate talent; where I have an issue with him is that he didn't go get a QB. I'd like to believe that it's because he put his trust in Gailey's opinion that he could win with Fitz...whether or not that's true remains to be seen.

As to whether or not Brandon needs to know football to do his job, well, I disagree there. I think he needs to know how to put an organizational structure in place and let the football people do their jobs...I mean, to be honest, Ralph turned over the whole organization to Russ. He's now playing the role that--in other organizations--the owner plays. I don't expect other owners to know football. In fact, in places like Dallas & Washington, the owners are/were roundly criticized for trying to dabble in the football side of things. The same was often said of Ralph...

Just my 1 cent...

I am ok and hopeful with RB. I think his heart has always been in the right place (though many would doubt it). I remember seeing him after the Lossman fumble in the Jets game, shortly before DJ was fired. Often you cannot read a person by looking at their face and judging their reactions. Sometimes you can. Brandon was sincerely horrified. He really wants to win IMO.

And he is smart (never hurts), so he will take counsel from qualified football professionals.

I don't think he is a pushover and I expect him to make his own decisions and trust in his own judgement.

Anyway, he's now firmly strapped into the drivers seat so its all on him (at least as long as Ralph Wilson owns the team).

Naturally I wish him every success.

Hi Beerme1,

Welcome and good for you for coming on board. Now with a post like that, prepare you're teflon suit, People will be coming after you! I agree with your thoughts and certainly see the developments as a huge plus right now. Ralph is not making any decisions. That is a major step in the right direction.

Thanks for the welcome! And, I totally understand everyones frustration. Put me at the top of the list for being a disheartened fan. The Bills have been crappy for far too long. Yet, thinking there's an instant answer, just isn't logical or even reasonable. This mess can't be fixed overnight.

This mess can't be fixed overnight.

True enough. But people were saying that 3 years ago when ChaNix joined. And years before that when Jauron joined. And yet, here we still sit with the same tired "can't be fixed overnight'. At what point is it not considered overnight anymore? Brandon has been around in one capacity or another for the last 16 years I believe. That's one long ass night! :)

I have no doubt that Brandon will do everything in his power to get a quality HC and QB. Just like I'm sure he did when all the coaches and QBs of the past 16 years were hired.

We can only hope the Bills will get a good HC and QB this time around. If they don't, it won't be due to lack of effort. But it wasn't the previous times either.

Edited by CodeMonkey

True enough. But people were saying that 3 years ago when ChaNix joined. And years before that when Jauron joined. And yet, here we still sit with the same tired "can't be fixed overnight'. At what point is it not considered overnight anymore? Brandon has been around in one capacity or another for the last 16 years I believe. That's one long ass night! :)

I have no doubt that Brandon will do everything in his power to get a quality HC and QB. Just like I'm sure he did when all the coaches and QBs of the past 16 years were hired.

We can only hope the Bills will get a good HC and QB this time around. If they don't, it won't be due to lack of effort. But it wasn't the previous times either.

There is one difference...Brandon holds the money roll now. And yes, they need a coach and QB who have a clue.