Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

1. Wood and Levitre were already here. Now Levitre may leave.

2. It's not about signing homegrown talent. It's about signing the RIGHT talent. How do you explain the Fitz contract? The Kelsay contract? If he signs both Byrd and Levitre, I'll give him this one, but he's not 100 % clean on this one.

3. It's his job to contruct the team, if they fail, he fails.

4. None of which helped us win games this year.

5. I would argue that he got rid of the BEST Jauron era players in Lynch and Whitner.....for nothing.

6 and 7. Who knows about Whaley or Modrak. All I know is the results look similar. Missed opportunities in April.

Look, you all can drink the Koolaid all you want, but the Buffalo Bills have done nothing new today. The chairs have been shuffled on deck, but I am skeptical to think these moves will produce different results. I hope I am wrong, but would you be surprised if we are having the Brandon/Nix regime must go conversation in 2 years??

Oh, Kool-Aid. What is this "Kool-Aid" you speak of? Oh, wait, you mean like I am brainwashed and about to kill myself with bad Kool-Aid. Oh, I get it. That's a really clever, underused reference.

Anyway, this is just a lot of glass-half-empty whining as I see it. Wood and Levitre alone didn't make a good line, so don't kid yourself. Nix added to the line every year until it had both talent and depth.

Losing Levitre this year would be horrific, but if Brandon is to be believed, nothing is holding the team back from keeping him aside from the team's own level of interest. If they botch that one, I'm already on record as saying I will be most furious about it. Doesn't change the fact that the OL and DL are in the best shape they've been in for years. Turning areas that were consistent problems over the past decade into assets is something to be pleased about, no matter how you spin it.

And the "none of which helped them win games this year" comment is rich. Managing personnel is an additive process until you get it right. If it's somehow Nix's fault that D Nelson got hurt this year, or that the offense didn't use Chandler as much as it needed to, or that Moore's emergence came late, or that Pears got hurt, I don't know how to help you. The fact is that they've got good pieces that they obviously need to add to. That record of under-the-radar pickups suggests you can trust Nix/Gailey on that front to add more role players and depth that will eventually get them over the hump.

Consider that SF didn't fully dismantle their roster when Harbaugh came in. He identified a team that had a lot of what it needed, continued to add to them, and used them effectively. A good coach coming in will see many of the same things here, with the obvious deficiencies at QB and LB that need to be addressed this offseason. I'm not asking you to love Nix or praise him, but I think it's not out of the question that he can do the job if the shackles are really off when it comes to team resources. If he can't get the QB and HC picks right, it's a setback for everyone, and I think everyone realizes those will be critical choices.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, Kool-Aid. What is this "Kool-Aid" you speak of? Oh, wait, you mean like I am brainwashed and about to kill myself with bad Kool-Aid. Oh, I get it. That's a really clever, underused reference.

Anyway, this is just a lot of glass-half-empty whining as I see it. Wood and Levitre alone didn't make a good line, so don't kid yourself. Nix added to the line every year until it had both talent and depth.

Has he added any Pro Bowl caliber talent? Wood and Levitre are Pro Bowl caliber players and he inherited them. To say he "filled" the positions with capable starters is fair and that's a basic expectation of a GM. Yes, he drafted linemen every year -- any GM with a pulse should be doing that and Nix did. Kudos to him.

Losing Levitre this year would be horrific, but if Brandon is to be believed, nothing is holding the team back from keeping him aside from the team's own level of interest. If they botch that one, I'm already on record as saying I will be most furious about it. Doesn't change the fact that the OL and DL are in the best shape they've been in for years. Turning areas that were consistent problems over the past decade into assets is something to be pleased about, no matter how you spin it.

The pass rush wasn't a consistent problem for the past decade. In fact, defense has been one of the few bright spots during the GW and MM era. With the help of Marv's and Nix's regime, the defense has devolved into one of the worst-performing units in franchise history. And no, Buddy Nix doesn't deserve a gold star for throwing $150 million at 2 D-linemen, nor does he deserve major kudos for drafting the consensus #3 player at the #3 draft slot (Dareus).

And the "none of which helped them win games this year" comment is rich. Managing personnel is an additive process until you get it right. If it's somehow Nix's fault that D Nelson got hurt this year, or that the offense didn't use Chandler as much as it needed to, or that Moore's emergence came late, or that Pears got hurt, I don't know how to help you. The fact is that they've got good pieces that they obviously need to add to. That record of under-the-radar pickups suggests you can trust Nix/Gailey on that front to add more role players and depth that will eventually get them over the hump.

:lol: It's not that you are a "kool-aid" drinker. You (and most Bills fans) have standards that are so low, it's laughable. By your logic, simply adding pieces until you get it right is sufficient? On-field performance is irrelevant? This is truly laughable and epitomizes the state of Buffalo Bills nation. Moore's development was holding the defense back? How about botching the LB position? Chandler wasn't used enough? Is he some sort of major weapon? He's not even a Top 25 tight end in this league. And Nix deserves credit for "discovering" him? That should keep him employed? Wow.

Consider that SF didn't fully dismantle their roster when Harbaugh came in. He identified a team that had a lot of what it needed, continued to add to them, and used them effectively. A good coach coming in will see many of the same things here, with the obvious deficiencies at QB and LB that need to be addressed this offseason.

I'm not asking you to love Nix or praise him, but I think it's not out of the question that he can do the job if the shackles are really off when it comes to team resources. If he can't get the QB and HC picks right, it's a setback for everyone, and I think everyone realizes those will be critical choices.

As I've said numerous times, Nix is not all bad. In fact, he's done a few good things. Does it justify "staying the course" with him as GM? Absolutely not. If Whaley takes over soon and truly changes the course of the franchise, I'll be thrilled. At this point, I'm dubious.

I hear you...But Whaley said himself today that he would not be making the HC decision...He said he would have input on the ex Steeler guys...That's it...I understand what you are saying, and I hope you are right...But that is not at all what was said to each and every one of us today...Brandon did not just say that Nix would return at GM...He said he was the GM and there was never any doubt whatsoever that he would stay...They gave no indication on a time limit for Nix outside of a very vague "He's 70 and he can't do this forever..." And in fact Brandon said quite clearly that Buddy would weigh in on the Coaching decision and the whole Football side heavily...He said Buddy is still in charge there...Period...Call me skeptical, but this is The Bills we are talking about...It's a step forward for sure...But in order for me to be all-in there are assumptions here that I'm uncomfortable with until they happen...I did like a ton of what Brandon said though...I like Brandon a lot...

We'll see if the paranoia is valid or not...I'm just saying that if you take what was said today at face value, it's WAY too much Nix for my liking... B-)

Well said! :thumbsup:

:lol: It's not that you are a "kool-aid" drinker. You (and most Bills fans) have standards that are so low, it's laughable. By your logic, simply adding pieces until you get it right is sufficient? On-field performance is irrelevant? This is truly laughable and epitomizes the state of Buffalo Bills nation. Moore's development was holding the defense back? How about botching the LB position? Chandler wasn't used enough? Is he some sort of major weapon? He's not even a Top 25 tight end in this league. And Nix deserves credit for "discovering" him? That should keep him employed? Wow.

You're either a selective reader or you have a gift for fictionalized interpretation.

As I've said numerous times, Nix is not all bad. In fact, he's done a few good things. Does it justify "staying the course" with him as GM? Absolutely not. If Whaley takes over soon and truly changes the course of the franchise, I'll be thrilled. At this point, I'm dubious.

You keep on getting hung up on the title. But while Buddy is still the nominal GM, it is clear that he's going to have a more diminished role, because he's now reporting to Brandon and not Wilson. That alone will make Buddy's job different because he won't be talking to a zombie.

This might not be the right place for this post but hear me out and then ill shut up. After reading Runthedamnball's post it got me thinking. Of course I don't believe we're far away. I've thought for over a year now that were a decent coach away from being a playoff team and a good coach from going deep into the playoffs.

The facts are that the lines are a point of strength as opposed to when Juron was here or those before him. The line makes up almost 50% of what your team is comprised of.

The other spots that make up big chunks are RBs and WRs on offense. We're looking pretty good at RB and WR is missing 1 good physical WR to be solid IMO.

The DBs if we keep Byrd are missing probably 1 decent CB from being a solid unit.

That QB is not there and that's a guarantee and the LBs are maybe 1 deep depending on how much you value Shephard. Personally I view him similar to how I saw Piz, nothing special. If he's supposed to be your best LB then your in trouble, but if he's your 2nd or 3rd LB yiur looking pretty good.

The QB and LB position could be taken #1 and 2 in the draft. With DB, LB, and WR all being needed moving forward. What if.... Big if... We take Lovie Smith as our HC? Isn't it common that new HCs bring in 1-2 players with him that are FAs? Who's a FA this year? Urlacher. Not that he's great anymore but he'd easily be our best LB. give us one less draft pick on an early LB. would bring us another piece of the defense. Give Lovie a chance to draft a WR and QB 1-2 in the draft.

Now, there's the coaches in AZ. I have no idea who's a FA there but I always liked many pieces of that defense. I have no idea about Larry Fitz' contract. These are all things we should look at when wanting a new coach though.

Tell me what you guys think

You keep on getting hung up on the title. But while Buddy is still the nominal GM, it is clear that he's going to have a more diminished role, because he's now reporting to Brandon and not Wilson. That alone will make Buddy's job different because he won't be talking to a zombie.

"Buddy Nix is the General Manager and will make all football decisions, as he has over the last 3 years"

Russ Brandon

Cause it's all about one year right? B-)

Of course not...and that's why Spiller is--IMO--the better choice, since JPP had one good season (his 2nd) after being largely ineffective as a rookie, and then tailed off this year. Spiller is trending upward...again, just my opinion, but based on the progression from last season to this one, that's where I'm at.

RF is the 19th best paid qb I believe.... How big is that contract really?

He was paid almost identically to Kevin Kolb and Mark Sanchez...right where he belongs.

But they aren't. The ENTIRE COACHING STAFF IS GONE. Buddy Nix's SUCCESSOR is sitting right there in the PC and will travel everywhere with him. How often does an assistant GM EVER do that? All signs point to him leaving sooner rather than later. How is this in any way shape or form the same decision makers?

Because Nix's presence gives some folks the platform they need to blast the organization...

He should have been let go today then. While I agree he has one foot out the door. What value is a lame duck GM? He certainly cannot be viewed as a positive in the coaching search.

IMO I don't want him anywhere near picking another quarterback or anyone for that matter. In fact a new coach with past success probably wants some input there too. The Bills are stuck with any Nix personnel moves this day forward. I am on the side that says he has drafted poorly.

I think there are 2 purposes for Nix staying around:

1) He's already done much of the work to prepare for this year's draft, so why not keep him on board?

2) They're paying him the balance of his contract regardless, so why not take advantage of whatever expertise he can provide during that time?

This might not be the right place for this post but hear me out and then ill shut up. After reading Runthedamnball's post it got me thinking. Of course I don't believe we're far away. I've thought for over a year now that were a decent coach away from being a playoff team and a good coach from going deep into the playoffs.

The facts are that the lines are a point of strength as opposed to when Juron was here or those before him. The line makes up almost 50% of what your team is comprised of.

The other spots that make up big chunks are RBs and WRs on offense. We're looking pretty good at RB and WR is missing 1 good physical WR to be solid IMO.

The DBs if we keep Byrd are missing probably 1 decent CB from being a solid unit.

That QB is not there and that's a guarantee and the LBs are maybe 1 deep depending on how much you value Shephard. Personally I view him similar to how I saw Piz, nothing special. If he's supposed to be your best LB then your in trouble, but if he's your 2nd or 3rd LB yiur looking pretty good.

The QB and LB position could be taken #1 and 2 in the draft. With DB, LB, and WR all being needed moving forward. What if.... Big if... We take Lovie Smith as our HC? Isn't it common that new HCs bring in 1-2 players with him that are FAs? Who's a FA this year? Urlacher. Not that he's great anymore but he'd easily be our best LB. give us one less draft pick on an early LB. would bring us another piece of the defense. Give Lovie a chance to draft a WR and QB 1-2 in the draft.

Now, there's the coaches in AZ. I have no idea who's a FA there but I always liked many pieces of that defense. I have no idea about Larry Fitz' contract. These are all things we should look at when wanting a new coach though.

I would take Lovie and Urlacher all day.

"Buddy Nix is the General Manager and will make all football decisions, as he has over the last 3 years"

Russ Brandon

The true irony is that those with my interpretation are being lambasted for failing to listen to the pres conference when in fact, we are taking Russ Brandon's words at face value. Perhaps there's some implied subtext as hopeful fans seem to suggest. I for one doubt it.

Russ Brandon

And yet it is Brandon, Nix and Whaley heading to Arizona to interview coaching candidates, and it was Whaley offering opinions on the former Pitt ties.

Buddy is the nominal GM, and I read the OBD news as his move back to heading the college scouting department. Plus, after the coaching hire, I see his role diminishing even more as the year moves on.

And yet it is Brandon, Nix and Whaley heading to Arizona to interview coaching candidates, and it was Whaley offering opinions on the former Pitt ties.

Buddy is the nominal GM, and I read the OBD news as his move back to heading the college scouting department. Plus, after the coaching hire, I see his role diminishing even more as the year moves on.

The implied subtext is that you think that Brandon and Nix weren't competing for influence at OBD. I could be mistaken, but there was ample speculation that Brandon wanted Nix gone as well. These reports don't emerge in a vacuum. Plus, don't discount high powered personalities and egos that are involved. Don't you think that knowing that as Brandon is an aggressive and competitive person, he was a tad upset that Buddy usurped his role in football operations in 2010, and then proceeded to make the Bills worse? Who do you think he was referring to when he spoke of the tarnished image?

Buddy is a good scout, and that's where he's headed again.

I agree with your coaching insight and all of your points except for the DB situation.

The only CB I like on our team now is Gilmore. Justin Rodgers is kind of an iffy for me because I haven't seen much play out of him recently but he made plays in the late 2011 season.

McKelvin and Williams don't have an eye for the ball and McGee is up there in age. Our CB's are hurt every year (whether that's a player problem or a S/C problem) and it seems we are down to our 4th CB in our starting line up every year.

There's also Wilson and he's let me down a few times this season.

To me there's a lot more holes that need to be filled up in the secondary then most people seem to think.

I agree with your coaching insight and all of your points except for the DB situation.

The only CB I like on our team now is Gilmore. Justin Rodgers is kind of an iffy for me because I haven't seen much play out of him recently but he made plays in the late 2011 season.

McKelvin and Williams don't have an eye for the ball and McGee is up there in age. Our CB's are hurt every year (whether that's a player problem or a S/C problem) and it seems we are down to our 4th CB in our starting line up every year.

To me there's a lot more holes that need to be filled up in the secondary then most people seem to think.

a lot of teams have issues with corners getting beat up. small guys involved in the running game (often at less than ideal angles).

part of why you want so much depth there.

Wilson is old and shouldn't start anymore IMO. But Searcy should be a good starter in his place. Or maybe a new coach tries Williams at the spot and catch lightning in a bottle there. If the guy plays with the action in front of him he might do well.

If Byrd and McKelvin are resigned that should round out the starting S positions, backup S positions and Nicole DB position. Gilmore as the other starter and a whole opposite him. Draft a young stud CB and you finish off that unit with Brooks who looked promising at times and Rogers who regressed this year under Wanny from the season before.

I don't think it's in as bad a shape as you think. There are a total of 4-5 players in the unit that could potentially be in on every defensive snap and we have 3-4 of them already with:

CB- Gilmore

Nickle- McKelvin

CB- hole

SS- Searcy/Williams

FS- Byrd

They might not all be all pros, but name me a defense that does have all pros at all those positions.

Ton of holes on defense in general, not just the secondary, I don't believe McKelvin or McGee will be back. They have to resign Byrd or else safety is a big problem. Barnett, Wilson, Scott, Kelsay, Merriman should all be gone. They need 2 starting LB's, at least one safety, maybe 2, then they need backups at CB, LB, S. Defense was one of the worst of all time. It's not just scheme, it's personnel as well.

Anyone can throw $150 million at two DE's and claim they improved and just hope it works out. That's insanity and it didn't work. It screws your salary cap and you are stuck. What a smart GM would do, is find players that produce at a reasonable salary. Value for production. I don't see that in many places on the entire roster.

The implied subtext is that you think that Brandon and Nix weren't competing for influence at OBD. I could be mistaken, but there was ample speculation that Brandon wanted Nix gone as well. These reports don't emerge in a vacuum. Plus, don't discount high powered personalities and egos that are involved. Don't you think that knowing that as Brandon is an aggressive and competitive person, he was a tad upset that Buddy usurped his role in football operations in 2010, and then proceeded to make the Bills worse? Who do you think he was referring to when he spoke of the tarnished image?

I hope you're right, my friend :)

If all is true, why in the world would he keep Nix in any role?? I dunno, Brandon appeared all but infatuated with Nix at his presser and stated that Buddy has FULL CONTROL over the football operations. It was not an ambiguous or vague statement.