Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

You've been parrotting the same, tired point throughout this thread. With all due respect to your venerable status as the creator and fearless leader of this community, your point (summarized as follows) rings hollow:

Russ held a press conference.

Russ got emotional.

Therefore, something big must have changed within the organization.

If something major hadn't changed within the organization, Russ would not have held a press conference. So there!

Please. The press conference was held because it simply had to be. Preseason expectations were high. The playoff drought has reached record highs (or lows). The team has been a non-factor in the division. Fan frustration was at its peak. A simple coaching change was not enough. The media was waiting at OBD for more. If some sort of organizational wasn't announced, the perception and downstream PR consequences would have been dire. So in comes Russ Brandon, announcing yet another promotion for himself, while keeping the same inept scouting department and player personnel department in place.

You have made your one point repeatedly as well. We get it. Maybe give it a rest?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say I was thinking it, now did I. But it was in several threads,and even Kellys wife responded by tweeting it was untrue

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/154303-jim-kellys-wife-rumors-not-true/

I still don't see where anything has changed at all, except a job title for one guy.

I will remain skeptical until this franchise hires a HC that knows how to win.

I think the last sentence is the main idea that most people have with regards to today actually representing a change in how the Buffalo Bills operate and are viewed league-wide. If we end up with a top candidate everyone will be on board with what was announced today. If we hire a lower-tier candidate then most will view this as the same ol same ol.

Fortunately for the skeptical there will always be reason to grouse about the Bills, no matter what.

Hire HC? Should've hired someone better.

Draft or sign a QB? Should've got the other guy.

Make the playoffs? Big deal. We missed 13 years.

Win the AFC? We lost 4 SB's. Here comes #5.

Win a SB? Other teams have won more.

If pessimism were a fuel, Buffalo would be the new Saudi Arabia.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

i think the majority of bills fans hoped for regime change today. the pessimists, like me, see it as morsi for mubarack. the optimists see the declaration of independence. the truth is probably somewhere in between.

Edited by birdog1960

i think the majority of bills fans hoped for regime change today. the pessimists, like me, see it is morsi for mubarack. the optimists see the declaration of independence. the truth is probably somewhere in between.

The truth is let's see what happens next. We will know soon enough.

I didn't say I was thinking it, now did I. But it was in several threads,and even Kellys wife responded by tweeting it was untrue

http://forums.twobil...umors-not-true/

I still don't see where anything has changed at all, except a job title for one guy.

Thats fine, and I even feel the same exact way. I think we all do. If anyone who has called me a "kool-aid drinker" today (not you) honestly thinks Im running around my place chanting "SUPER BOWL! SUPER BOWL!", theyre nuts.

It's a wait-and-see game for all of us.

I do however look at today's announcement as a step in the right direction. Ralph needed (or needs) to go away, and outside of wishing for his passing this was the next best solution.

As WGR put it (I cant believe Im quoting WGR) "This is just like a New Year's Resolution. And you dont fulfill a resolution on Jan 1, you fulfill it months and even years later." But you have to start and continue in the right direction.

Buddy started to right this ship when he came here. He got rid of Modrak and (I'm forgetting the other guys name, help me out), and brought in Whaley and many new scouts and FO guys. He has built the team like Bills fans wanted for years, from the lines out. He has re-signed our own talent. He has signed big-time Free Agents to big-time contracts. (He has, admittedly, failed to find us a QB.)

This is another step in righting the ship.

The next steps are:

1. Hire a top coaching staff

2. Acquire (and develop) a top QB

3. Continue to fill-in the roster with talent

I'm excited to see how they address those items. That's it.

Let's remember that we could easily have won 2 more games, if not 3. Easily. And if we had, Chan would still be coach and things would not seem so bad.

But they are bad. The defense may have been the biggest disappointment in all of sports this past year. Most people thought they would be dominant. Had they been just average, we might have won a dozen games. But they were rancid, so we finished 6-10. Add Chan's mysterious playcalling, and we have the elements in place to turn this around rather quickly.

A good coach, a new quarterback, a solid draft. I'm still believing in this.

Thank you Chan, for coaching like an idiot. And special thanks to Wanny for having the worst defense we've ever had, with some pretty good talent.

Fortunately for the skeptical there will always be reason to grouse about the Bills, no matter what.

PTR

That is a sign of low self esteem, city and county wide. Has been for decades.

I am with the people that agree this can't be a bad thing. It MIGHT be the "same as usual" crap by the FO. However it MIGHT NOT be. Either way, we look at it, WE ALL wanted Ralph out of the decision process and its being said that he's OUT. That can't be bad. It's been announced publicly that Ralph will meddle no more. This makes it easier to sign these HCs that refuse to even think about Buffalo because of the meddling.

So it might be the same old crap, but it could mean a world of difference. Lets see how it plays out.

OK....after page 31 of this thread I need to stop and post my thoughts....

- After years of being a "cool aid drinker" I think I have finally transitioned into "show me the baby" It DOESNT mean I dont think Russ Brandon was lieing today........but I totally understand the folks here that after 13 years of missed playoffs they need to see results not talk.

- IF Russ truely has the power to make decisions quickly

- IF Ralph (bless him) has truly been meddling in business cause coaches to not want to come here (I keep thinking back to the Mike Mularky situation where he just quits on us and shudder) IF those days are over

- If this ghost Jeff Littman truly isnt throwing a wrench in the works

- If Nix truly is in a transition period (your not gonna hear mgt talk about him leaving if that is the case...get real people) and the younger guy from the steelers is transitioning in

THEN TODAY WAS TRULY A HUGE LEAP FORWARD

However.....show me the baby Russ......it starts with the coaching hire......

Jeremy White made a pretty good analogy awhile ago, saying this day is like New Years Resolutions. You can't be right about your resolution for a few weeks or months or years until you keep or break it and how it changes or betters or worsens your life. When they hire their first coach, then and only then can you decide if they made a good or bad choice (and it will only be an opinion at that time and not a fact). Only after the draft can you have any say in whether this was a good or bad move and that will only be an opinion, too. Doug Whaley is a very good candidate to be a GM and is 99% going to be our GM pretty soon, with full control over football decisions. I don't think that is a bad thing at all.

Jeremy White made a pretty good analogy awhile ago, saying this day is like New Years Resolutions. You can't be right about your resolution for a few weeks or months or years until you keep or break it and how it changes or betters or worsens your life. When they hire their first coach, then and only then can you decide if they made a good or bad choice (and it will only be an opinion at that time and not a fact). Only after the draft can you have any say in whether this was a good or bad move and that will only be an opinion, too. Doug Whaley is a very good candidate to be a GM and is 99% going to be our GM pretty soon, with full control over football decisions. I don't think that is a bad thing at all.

I think he already has it. The leaders in the clubhouse all have Whaley connections.

Russ Brandon back on the football side of things?

Oh no.......................

Exactly.

What gives anyone the impression that Brandon knows anything about building a winning football team? There is no evidence to support the idea. He's been with the Bills for 16 years with his duties largely staying with the business and marketing projects for the Bills. On the football side, the Bills have missed the playoffs for the last 13 years. It doesn't look to good on your resume Russ.

If Brandon is an acute businessman, he will hire competent football people who know what it takes to win. I have seen enough in 52 years to know that the Bills hire mediocre talent on a consistent basis. Maybe Brandon will be the exception and hire top people? All Bills fans everywhere hope this time is different. (Don't hold your breath) The first big test for Brandon is what he does about the GM and then the coach.

This will indicate if Bills fans can expect more of the same or something new. We'll see.

So much for the Polian family coming back. Sad day for Bills nation

Maybe Brandon can bring back Terrell Owens to boost ticket sales and jerseys

Following the collective catharsis of the previous several posts, this post makes me laugh because it just drags it all back up to the surface.

PTR

This.

It'll always be, that wasn't my choice so he isn't good enough. In relation to a QB/HC.

Some people/fans just love to be pessimistic so they can say, "see, I was right".

I think he already has it. The leaders in the clubhouse all have Whaley connections.

I don't think we have any idea who the leaders in the clubhouse are. I think the AZ trip was a great move, simply because they can talk to Wisenhunt and Horton, take care of the Rooney Rule, plus Chip Kelly is there, and reportedly, Mike McCoy, too, are in town.

PTR

Please tell me how this news today compares to winning a Super Bowl.