Rex says Tebow throws better than Brad Smith

Rex: "When we had Brad Smith,and we were able to run the Wildcat, that helped us. We may not have run the Wildcat as effectively as Miami was doing, but we were close. (Now,) when you bring in a guy like Tim ... as much as I like Brad ... he wasn't able to give you the inside running game that Tim can -- and Tim can throw the ball a little better than Brad."

This prompted me to think about what it is that Brad Smith does better than anybody on our team. I know the guy is a great athlete and a versatile player, but I believe we have better options in EVERY down and distance.

As far as kickoff returns go, I would rather have Terrence, Leodis, TJ Graham or Gilmore do that job and I think they would do better than Brad all day long.

As far as WR goes, we have some guys like Aiken and Easley that I'd rather have make the team and see them develop and if Brad takes one of their spots we could lose a potential solid young WR.

As far as the Wildcat goes, we are the only NFL team with two RB's that averaged over 5 yards per carry last year, and my understanding of the wildcat is that it's only effective if the defense thinks you might throw out of it once in awhile, which we don't. So now it's simply a direct snap play to a runner.

If the game is on the line and you need two yards, I want the ball in Fred Jackson's hands.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many things to look forward to this season, and amongst them, is how the Bills will use Brad Smith. I get the feeling, last season was kind of a "lost year" for him...with a lack of a real training camp, and all the injuries at WR kind of taking the Bills out of their game plan.

Rex: "When we had Brad Smith,and we were able to run the Wildcat, that helped us. We may not have run the Wildcat as effectively as Miami was doing, but we were close. (Now,) when you bring in a guy like Tim ... as much as I like Brad ... he wasn't able to give you the inside running game that Tim can -- and Tim can throw the ball a little better than Brad."

This prompted me to think about what it is that Brad Smith does better than anybody on our team. I know the guy is a great athlete and a versatile player, but I believe we have better options in EVERY down and distance.

As far as kickoff returns go, I would rather have Terrence, Leodis, TJ Graham or Gilmore do that job and I think they would do better than Brad all day long.

As far as WR goes, we have some guys like Aiken and Easley that I'd rather have make the team and see them develop and if Brad takes one of their spots we could lose a potential solid young WR.

As far as the Wildcat goes, we are the only NFL team with two RB's that averaged over 5 yards per carry last year, and my understanding of the wildcat is that it's only effective if the defense thinks you might throw out of it once in awhile, which we don't. So now it's simply a direct snap play to a runner.

If the game is on the line and you need two yards, I want the ball in Fred Jackson's hands.

I agree on all counts. I have never understood the "manlove" for Brad Smith...either by the Bills when they continually put him in on kickoff returns so he could touch his knee three yards into the endzone or the Jests for that matter - thinking they lost a huge weapon. Granted, he converted a few third downs last year, but a direct snap to Freddie or CJ would accomplish the same thing. I agree with your thoughts completely. I assume the only reason we used him as wildcat QB was a justification for taking him as a free agent and paying big bucks...need to take the luxury car out for a drive once in awhile.

In all honesty if he's not right....it's damn close. I attended Mizzou when Brad Smith was our QB and he throws some ducks. He was still the man in college though, and one of my favorite Bills....people forget that he was pretty effective out of the Wildcat early on. He didn't have a bunch of big plays but he sure was clutch on 3rd down.

Rex shows, yet again, his lack of class. Who calls out names like this, other than complete a$$holes? He could have easily said something like, "we feel we can execute the Wildcat better than ever now that we have Tebow," and people would understand. This guy is such a doosh. I can't wait to embarrass him and his dysfunctional team in week 1.

I think that I saw every play that Brad Smith ran from the QB position out of the wilcat formation, and I do not

remeber any of them that did not gain yards, many of them several yards, and if not mistaken, many of them for

critical 1rst downs. He had that succsess with the defense knowing exactly what was coming, and that to me is

value. I think a lot of people aren't giving him the credit that he deserves, but I think Chan recognizes his value.

What is blowhard Rex gonna say? That is just Rex saying something to say something, as we all know that if his blubber

lips aren't flapping, then he is not talking.

With a full training camp, more ways for Chan to experiment with different ways to use him, and Brad being as crafty and

elusive as he is,we will really see his value soar this year, if he gets enough touches.

Edited by Tu-Toned

There are so many things to look forward to this season, and amongst them, is how the Bills will use Brad Smith. I get the feeling, last season was kind of a "lost year" for him...with a lack of a real training camp, and all the injuries at WR kind of taking the Bills out of their game plan.

Simple Brad Smith with the Jets (pre kickoff rule changes) was one of the best kick returners in the league. A dynamic special teams player. Some of that was probably jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff, some of it was Brad Smith. Smith was also a huge part of the Jets rushing offense accounting for key yardage at crucial times in games. They did lose a big weapon. They also happened to replace him in house with Joe McKnight.

I was never a huge fan of Brad Smith. I'm hoping the coaching staff has some major upgrades for him and the wildcat this season. I'm officially on board with what Chans plan is for now. I'll give Bead the benefit of the doubt since he didn't fet much time to train last season. They are excuses but ill buy into it for now until it's proved otherwise. I do agree with what you say about Fred though. If the games on the line or even a 3rd and 2yards is on the line I'd rather put my faith into Fred, CJ, or Fitz making the right call and not rely on a gimmick play and a gimmick player. I just hope Chan saves these plays for when it's 1st or 2nd down and not game changing situations.

I'm sure they'll be working on it in Training Camp and Preseason. If Brad is Ineffective, I don't see him making the team...

So let me get this straight: 1] Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix both would get approximately a 90% approval rating on this and any other Bills board. And 2] both Gailey and Nix love Brad Smith and are planning on making the Wildcat a bigger part of the offense this year than it was last year, and opening lamented not being able to use it as much. But 3] Brad Smith is worthless and should be released because he doesn't do anything well?

I am willing to bet that most Bills fans that hate Brad Smith and the Wildcat will change their opinion if not love him and the Wildcat this year. And most of the ones that still won't will begrudgingly say yes it is working well but I still hate it anyway (read: I'm stubborn if not unretractable)

Rex shows, yet again, his lack of class. Who calls out names like this, other than complete a$$holes? He could have easily said something like, "we feel we can execute the Wildcat better than ever now that we have Tebow," and people would understand. This guy is such a doosh. I can't wait to embarrass him and his dysfunctional team in week 1.

This.

Rex: "When we had Brad Smith,and we were able to run the Wildcat, that helped us. We may not have run the Wildcat as effectively as Miami was doing, but we were close. (Now,) when you bring in a guy like Tim ... as much as I like Brad ... he wasn't able to give you the inside running game that Tim can -- and Tim can throw the ball a little better than Sanchez ,er um Brad."

I am willing to bet that most Bills fans that hate Brad Smith and the Wildcat will change their opinion if not love him and the Wildcat this year. And most of the ones that still won't will begrudgingly say yes it is working well but I still hate it anyway (read: I'm stubborn if not unretractable)

ok I'll play this game because I've never been a big fan of the wildcat. In fact I hate it and I think BS is the biggest waste of $4m on a football team. I've said that I'm on record as being pro wildcat and BS this year until they prove me right in the end. So if they really suprise people and rock the league in awe then I will eat crow. If however, the wildcat and BS produce as little as last year will all the PRO BS and Wildcat people do the same?

+1

Back to Brad Smith:

How many guys can fill a roster spot in the NFL? How many can fill two? How many can fill 3?

Brad Smith would be on a roster somewhere as a QB, a WR, or a special teamer. Even as a 3rd QB he would be in the league. The guy has a lot of talents - we have a jack of all trades on our team and that is not a bad thing, even if he is the master of none.

Rex says a lot of things. Mostly "I'll take a #2, super sized, with a chocolate shake" or "Excuse me, I'm not done with the menu yet" or "Look at the feet on her". This is just a cheap shot at a former player. Hopefully, just for this, Brad Smith tosses a TD pass against the Jets and then hands the ball to Jobba himself.

Edited by H2o

Not disagreeing with you, but wasn't Smith a college QB?

Yes. In fact, he was a tremendous QB. He has stats similar to Tebow in fact annd that is saying something. I think Brad has some ncaa records and a ton of miSsouri records....

ok I'll play this game because I've never been a big fan of the wildcat. In fact I hate it and I think BS is the biggest waste of $4m on a football team. I've said that I'm on record as being pro wildcat and BS this year until they prove me right in the end. So if they really suprise people and rock the league in awe then I will eat crow. If however, the wildcat and BS produce as little as last year will all the PRO BS and Wildcat people do the same?

Frankly, I don't see how anyone could have watched the Wildcat last year on this team and not thought it was effective. It rarely got stopped on any series, even in its limited use, and even without Gailey having the time to install it like h wanted to. He wants to increase and expand its use because it was effective and he thinks he can be a lot better.

If it doesn't produce I will hate it, too. I am not at all a fan of a Wildcat with a RB getting the direct snap. I'm excited to see one with a guy like Smith who is a legitimate threat to throw, and is good at getting first downs on short yardage AND has legitimate 4.4 breakaway speed. .

i am apparently in the minority but i for one am a bit worried about tebow and the wc in the opener. he is admittedly not a very good traditional qb, but he was very effective running that option play of his and could put those skills to use in a new wc-like package. having a full offseason to prepare they could easily surprise an unfamiliar bills defense in just a few key plays that spells the difference in the game

regarding smith, i think its pretty safe to say chan will also unveil a more sophisticated wc package. so depending on which team uses it when and how effective it is, those two players could define who comes out on top that first game

Isn't the rule about the #3 qb being able to step on and off the field while leaving the #1 able to go back in why we have Brad too?

I think the days are slipping by that the 3rd string is actually the developmental kid.

The spot can now be used to an advantage that Chan and Jets can exploit. I mean the right guy can save a roster spot cant he? One more DT or Linebacker we can keep. One less reciever. at #5 or #6 brad really is not that bad and that is what he is.

I am thinking this year will have him doing what Chan originally wanted him to be doing in the big schemes of his.

Hoping Gailey knows what he is doing with Brad and the Offense this year. I did not like how he finished out with his play calling.

This year will tell us alot about Chan Gailey and those crazy wildcat ideas.

For now i hold out reasonable hope.

And harbor extreme enthusiasm.

Rex must have been motivation - on Sirius today Pat and Tim said that Smith was in for one rep at QB during practice and he threw a 50 yard bomb completion! :D

1/1 - 50yrds 0INT 1TD 158.3 QB Rating; Take that Tebow!

Too funny...