Chandler re-signed

Erik

If you follow baseball you know the Yankees have been managing payroll religiously to avoid a really severe luxury tax that was implemented this year.

I do, and I did see that. I just assume most Yankee fans are too dumb to understand. :D

/ducks, runs away

Seriously though, as a similarly built TE and coach, I wonder if Metz will be able to help bring Chandler along?

Edited by jimmyo

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just like to point out that there was a point in the year last year where Chandler's productivity was compared to a certain New England tied end that everyone fawns over......

He isn't Gronk.....but he knows how to get open and has flypaper for hands......

This was a very good signing....and the bills are doing exactly what they said they were going to do which is refreshing.

I would just like to point out that there was a point in the year last year where Chandler's productivity was compared to a certain New England tied end that everyone fawns over......

He isn't Gronk.....but he knows how to get open and has flypaper for hands......

This was a very good signing....and the bills are doing exactly what they said they were going to do which is refreshing.

Also consider that he was injured for much of the second half. They had to keep rushing him back too because all of his replacements tore their ACLs.

Good news! Nix is walking the walk this offseason re: bringing back our own. Good to see promising players re-up. Two year deal makes a lot of sense given Chandler's out-of-nowhere season. I'll be curious to see the financials once they leak, but I'm with the rest who don't think it'll be very much. Probably fully guaranteed for 2012, similar to Stevie's deal. In general, the Bills' strategy seems to be to avoid giant bonuses/contract values, but offset that by guaranteeing a bit more. I like that approach.

I was really worried that Chandler was not going to be coming back. I love that they re-signed him. I love the message it sends to the players that the Front office has faith in what they are building. This is the most optimistic I have felt about the Bills in a very long time.

Edited by Maddog69

I understand the cap and sure the Bills do also. It just sounded like the poster thought anything over $3M was too much for Chandler's ability. I may have misunderstood.

That was his point - and it's a reasonable one.

I like Chandler too, but if the Bills spend too much on one guy, it's money they can't spend on other needs - which prevents the winning you said you wanted.

That's also why SJ's deal was so appealing - under 7.5M sounds like OBD got a reasonable bargain.

Good news! I was confused why that WGR article gave 23:1 odds of Chandler re-signing :oops:

http://wgr550.com/twobillsdrive/12444064

Almost everything about that article was idiotic trolling.

They also had 6:1 against Stevie signing - and that was after the initial positve reports that they were trading offers.

There is a whole cottage industry in whining about the Bills front office and reality doesn't seem to be a part of their business model.

Edited by BobChalmers

We're actually keeping the people who produce for us? Is it just me, or does it seem surreal? I'm not being sarcastic either. Deep down, I was thinking we'd re-sign Stevie and most everyone else would walk. I think the FO is starting to change their losing culture!

We're actually keeping the people who produce for us? Is it just me, or does it seem surreal? I'm not being sarcastic either. Deep down, I was thinking we'd re-sign Stevie and most everyone else would walk. I think the FO is starting to change their losing culture!

couldnt agree more - I think after FA (and maybe after draft too) we give Freddie a 2 or 3 year extension too - I think the FO would like to see what kind of money they have to work with first since hes still under contract

couldnt agree more - I think after FA (and maybe after draft too) we give Freddie a 2 or 3 year extension too - I think the FO would like to see what kind of money they have to work with first since hes still under contract

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/8/2854556/buffalo-bills-scott-chandler-resigned

love it!

Maybe the people in charge are listening to Buddy. I can't explain it, either.

Locker room morale should be pretty solid heading into training camp. Taking care of your own is HUGE.

I totally agree with this. It has to have been difficult year in and out, knowing that by playing well, players were in essence playing themselves out of a locker room because the team wouldn't spend the $ to extend most players. A happy locker room has to be a major part of luring free agents.Not to mention improving the overall team play.

YES!! we signed our street free agent and our 7th rounder, now if we can just sign our NFL Europe running back that just leaves signing a guy from the CFL and our offense will be set!

I also cross my fingers that someone will get picked from the arena league as well.

Go Buddy keep BUILDING THROUGH THE DRAFT!

jk... im happy with the signing

Scott Chandler ‏ @scottchandler84

Reunited and it feels so good!!! Blessed to be back with the Bills! Nowhere else I want to be! Thankyou Lord for this opportunity!

Thankyou to the Bills front office and fans for all your support!! Let's get this thing rolling! #BillsMafia

I am going out on a limb and say he's pleased.

...so am I.

:thumbsup:

Sure, signing Stevie Johnson and Chandler this week are technically "Bills" moves.

However, you could also say that Fitzbeardly is GETTIN' THE BAND BACK TOGETHER!!!!

:w00t:

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Locker room morale should be pretty solid heading into training camp. Taking care of your own is HUGE.

And this point cannot be undervalued.

The Locker Room is filled with 7th rounders and UDFA RIGHT NOW.

The lesson to everyone, From our 1st Rounders that under perform to our Practice Squad signings that over perform, is simple. IF YOU PRACTICE HARD AND YOU PERFORM WELL ON THE FIELD YOU WILL GET PAID IN BUFFALO, NY.

Where this was not true in the past the locker room knows they can get rewarded for their efforts and thats all a player, especially a late round pick or UDFA can ask for.

This is a huge change in direction for the Buffalo Bills.

:w00t: :w00t: :thumbsup:

Edited by Why So Serious?

Honestly expected him to at least "test the waters" and didn't think he'd re-up.

Always nice to have guys who want to be there. Chandler was one of last year's bright spots, even with some injury and inconsistency in the middle of the season. Gives Fitz a big and trusted target, especially at the part of the field where it counts.

Next is FA, of course. After that, keep this going and once establishing his leg is healthy, let's get Fred Jackson a well-deserved new contract.

I love the sudden appropriation of the term "mafia." Even Scott Chandler's wife is hashtagging it!

"Best birthday gift ever! @scottchandler84 signing his contract with Buffalo! So proud of my hubby! #BillsMafia http://pic.twitter.com/iGFdqKp3"

Can someone remind me when this started?

Edited by ndirish1978

Good news! I was confused why that WGR article gave 23:1 odds of Chandler re-signing :oops:

http://wgr550.com/twobillsdrive/12444064

Please remember that WGR is the radio station that gives us Schelp and his foaming dog in the afternoon along with the morning crew that doesn't bother to watch the games. I never ever take any opinions from WGR radio as anything but extreme rumors.

I really like Chandler and with our new TE coach I think big things are possible.

Buddy is 'Getting It Done' and keeping his word. Can't wait to see how aggressive we are in the next few weeks!

Wow. That is a good piece of news this morning. I like the activity so far this off season by the front office. I wonder who's gonna be next?

I hope Demetrius Bell,... we can't lose a good starting LT and then look to use our 1st round pick on his replacement. That's the strategy that has us drafting 3 RBs in the first round this past decade. Sign D Bell...

Reunited and it feels so good!!! Blessed to be back with the Bills! Nowhere else I want to be! Thankyou Lord for this opportunity!

Thankyou to the Bills front office and fans for all your support!! Let's get this thing rolling! #BillsMafia

Yes!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I hope Demetrius Bell,... we can't lose a good starting LT and then look to use our 1st round pick on his replacement. That's the strategy that has us drafting 3 RBs in the first round this past decade. Sign D Bell...

Bell is a goner for sure. There is a weak market for LT's and someone is sure to overpay him.

If they can somehow get Bell to sign a reasonable deal prior to FA this would be one hell of a week for Nix. It already is a dam good start to the off season.

While others may want VJ or Mario Williams the first day of FA, I'm hoping they sneak into New Orleans get some red beans and rice while signing Marques Colston.

signing these guys is all well and good, but obviously and logically, you don't improve much on a sub-par team by simply paying the existing players of that team 7 or 8 times what they were making before. in fact, on its own you will end up worse, since you can't even retain all your players at that rate. these signings are only good, if they can now replace the "cheap talent" of guys like Chandler and SJ13 with equally good talent on the cheap.

again, this is somewhat obvious... but some seem a little too excited; as it stands now we are still the same 6-10 team as '11, but minus our LT and with LESS cap room. the hard part lies ahead, in finding good and CHEAP talent cuz you can't assemble enough talent to win by paying guys what they're worth - you need to have some underpaid guys too!

If they can somehow get Bell to sign a reasonable deal prior to FA this would be one hell of a week for Nix. It already is a dam good start to the off season.

While others may want VJ or Mario Williams the first day of FA, I'm hoping they sneak into New Orleans get some red beans and rice while signing Marques Colston.

I think it would have to be VERY reasonable, since there wasn't a huge dropoff between his play and that of Hairston. I think starting Hairston and drafting a LT at No. 10 is a much more palatable situation than overpaying Bell if that's what it comes down to.

signing these guys is all well and good, but obviously and logically, you don't improve much on a sub-par team by simply paying the existing players of that team 7 or 8 times what they were making before. in fact, on its own you will end up worse, since you can't even retain all your players at that rate. these signings are only good, if they can now replace the "cheap talent" of guys like Chandler and SJ13 with equally good talent on the cheap.

again, this is somewhat obvious... but some seem a little too excited; as it stands now we are still the same 6-10 team as '11, but minus our LT and with LESS cap room. the hard part lies ahead, in finding good and CHEAP talent cuz you can't assemble enough talent to win by paying guys what they're worth - you need to have some underpaid guys too!

Understodd, but it's not as though they can do anything more than that right now...FA hasn't started yet.

I love the sudden appropriation of the term "mafia." Even Scott Chandler's wife is hashtagging it!

"Best birthday gift ever! @scottchandler84 signing his contract with Buffalo! So proud of my hubby! #BillsMafia http://pic.twitter.com/iGFdqKp3"

The #billsmafia has been going strong on twitter for a while. I believe it started back in the late stages of the 2010 season, but it really took off last season. A lot of the bills players have really taken to it. Nick Barnett especially.

This whole billsmafia was some twitter creation around training camp of last year. It's so awkward and forced and sounds juvenile if you ask me.

This whole billsmafia was some twitter creation around training camp of last year. It's so awkward and forced and sounds juvenile if you ask me.

Its not awkward or forced. Plenty of current players use it, and hashtag it all the time, and communicate with #Billsmafia members, including Barnett, Freddie, Stevie, Chandler, Aaron Williams, Shawne Merriman and others.

Actually I didn't like it at first but it has grown on me since it stuck. Ever since Red Sox fans started calling themselves Red Sox Nation it seems like everyone just adds Nation after their name. I like that it's original.