MODRAK FIRED!

There is also no reason to release a guy that has inside info on your draft thoughts and player evaluations, so you dump him post draft.

Considering the crappy draft results for the last several years, that would've been a good strategy.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.

Yes. I don't think it was a matter of Nix finally making the decision to can Modrak, I think it was Nix finally convincing Ralph that it was time to fire Modrak.

Modrak has been Ralph's boy, his trusted confidante, for the last five years. That's why Ralph made him a VP and part of the three headed monster. I think Nix has now replaced Modrak as the trusted one. Ralph OK'd the firing, and Buddy determined the time frame.

The interesting thing now is what will come out of Modrak's mouth. If he is done, and retires, the truth may come out as to who was pulling the trigger on all those awful draft picks.

Do you think Modrak is really going to say he made the crap choices thru the years? Truth is in the eye of the beholder.

Glad to see him go, but yeah why was this done after the draft?

Probably wanted to draft different people than they did. Or convinced them to wait on players that werent there in the later rounds. Could be thousands of things.

ABOUT EFFING TIME!!!!

Finally Buddy Nix steps up!!

Isnt that too many Fs in that word?

Edited by fansince88

I'm confused, if they were unhappy with him, then why go through the draft and dump him afterwards.

Probably to see what kind of reports the guy turned in.... he was taking bribes from the Patriots to insure that the Bills drafted crap players.... how else could anyone make so many bad choices for so long!

Do you think Modrak is really going to say he made the crap choices thru the years? Truth is in the eye of the beholder.

Who says he made them? I am thinking Ralph and Dickie J. may have had a significant voice in some of those first round flops. If Modrak is done, he may be willing to let the cat out of the bag.

I agree with the earlier statement that Buddy had to convince Ralph to let him get rid of Modrak. Why didnt he do it last year at this time? Buddy had only been on the job 3 or 4 months at that point. I think it took a while for Buddy to acquire that kind of juice with Ralph.....

I did back-flips when Jauron fired Turk Schonert...then I did more back flips when Jauron was fired and replaced by Perry Fewell...just wish they had kept Fewell for another year

Now I'm doing back flips again, best news I've heard since, since .... Darius was selected #3 by the Buffalo Bills :D

Keep fighting the good fight Buddy!

Doesn't matter why. Just know that he's gone and played a hand in the many unsuccessful drafts we had.

I like what the regime is doing. No more BS! Kelsay should be next. Reguardless of his contract. This new regime doesn't owe anyone anything. And I believe that's why he's gone.

Bills picked 3 players from the Senior Bowl out of their 9 picks

Bengals took 2 out of 8

If you want to believe the USA Today report that we wouldve traded back in for Ponder, then that would've been 4 out of 8 (assuming we give up our 2nd and first 4th (?) to move back in).

Not going to sit here and ask why now, just glad he is moving on.

He may not have selected the picks that have left this franchise in the gutter for the past decade, but he had to have a hand in creating the draft boards that ranked players. Those rankings more often than not left us bereft of competitive talent on this team.

A turning of the page, and even if his talent evaluations weren't suspect there are simply to many chefs (Whaley and Nix) in the kitchen right now that have led scouting departments - he was dead weight either way,

I guess this is good. Really, i don't care about this behind the scenes stuff. I want to see a better product on the field. Ralph and Buddy can hire and fire whomever they want as long as the Bills are winning.

I know we all like to blame RW but Modrak's draft record has been abysmal. I was surprised Nix retained him but it would have been tumultuous to fire Modrak at first and Nix probably wanted time to evaluate his work and the work of the whole scouting department, not knowing how much might be blamed on Wilson and Jauron. Now with a year-plus of evaluation, it's time to say goodbye. It would have been too disruptive to terminate Modrak before the draft though I suspect the decision was made weeks, if not months, ago.

I doubt if RW does his own scouting. If he did indeed make bad draft day decision (and I've never been convinced he was all that involved), it was because Modrak system of evaluating talent and presenting those evaluations to RW (and Jauron) was flawed. This isn't a popular sentiment but I don't think Jauron's win-loss record was that bad considering what Modrak and Brandon gave him to work with.

Mr. Ralph certainly does not do his own scouting. However, he does do his own decision-making and there is simply no way one can reasonably give him a pass as having THE primary responsibility for the pathetic record of the team this past decade plus.

The buck stops with the owner.

Even beyond this Mr. Ralph was clearly intrinsically involved in some of the most demonstrably poor decisions made during the past decade plus. These include:

1. ONLY Mr. Ralph could make a handshake deal with Jimbo to reward him in his next FA contract when Jimbo demanded he be extended in the year before his contract expired. I am an outsider with no where near the level of knowledge the team and its owner had, but even I could see Jimbo was done a season before he retired. Mr. Ralph did do his own scouting when he promised to pay Jimbo in his next contract and Mr. Ralph proved to be WRONG WRONG WRONG in this football assessment because there was no next contract,

2. Mr. Ralph does reasonably escape direct blame for a plethora of QB miscues (maybe Butler first identified and was high on Billy Joe Hobert), however, in the end it is Mr. Ralph who makes the hiring and firing decisions and if anyone has major complaints about Modrak, Guy, Marv or whomever, its a major complaint about Mr. Ralph. In addition, like it or not its tough to blame Jauron for a majority of the decade+ playoff less streak, it is unreasonable to blame Marv for the vast majority of this failure etc. This was all on Mr. Ralph's watch. In addition to the buck stopping with him even if he did not make the decision because he hired the decision-maker, there is also the fact that if he was handsoff on stupid decisions like giving RJ a guarantee in the form of the bonus he should have been and it was malfeasance if he was completely hands off on a lot of these financial decisions.

3. Mr. Ralph clearly had a toxic relationship with his GM Bill Polian whom by all reports he personally fired (for what are alleged to be non-football reasons) and he and only he gets direct blame/credit for employee management of any if his GMs.

4. John Butler screwed us with how he left and played Mr. Ralph to string him along (who knows if he chose Eric Flowers to tank the draft so this is not my accusation, but clearly Mr. Ralph gets at least his half of the blame for this toxic relationship.

5. The war with Wade Phillips where Wade kicked his butt completely as Mr. Ralph attempted to welch on his contractual obligation is all on Mr. Ralph personally.

6. He had the right to fire TD if he screwed the pooch but the fact he fired him after he hired him in an under duress effort to deal with the fall out of his toxic relationship with Butler again points to Mr. Ralph. Add to that having a toxic relationship with one GM (Polian) is an incident. However, then having another toxic relationship with a GM )Butler) may simply be a coincident. However, he then followed this up by having a toxic relationship with his next GM (he fired TD).

Third time is a trend and the fact the Bills had to operate the next season with no GM really says it all.

I agree that Mr. Ralph deserves tons of credits for keeping the Bills here. No one should ignore nor can they take away the winning glory of the team Mr. Ralph hired Polian to build. He deserves props for this, it was real.

However the last decade plus was real too.

The man who deserve the blame for ALL of this?

Mr. Ralph.

Bills picked 3 players from the Senior Bowl out of their 9 picks

Bengals took 2 out of 8

If the point is being made that the Bills drafted 3 senior Bowl players because they coached them, I am not sure that number is extraordinary. I'm guessing that there were around 100 players in the Senior Bowl. IF the majority of them got drafted, that would mean most teams probably drafted 2 or 3 of them.

buddy saw for himself....must not have been impressed.

Modrak developed a rep as a lazy scout who didn't like road work. I'm guessing much of the reason for the Bills draft failures is that he figured he could evaluate talent in his sleep because of his success in Pitt and Philly. I don't think scouting works that way, gotta' keep digging.

Modrak developed a rep as a lazy scout who didn't like road work. I'm guessing much of the reason for the Bills draft failures is that he figured he could evaluate talent in his sleep because of his success in Pitt and Philly. I don't think scouting works that way, gotta' keep digging.

Maybe he talked to Darcy Regier and decided video scouting is the wave of the future! :)

If the point is being made that the Bills drafted 3 senior Bowl players because they coached them, I am not sure that number is extraordinary. I'm guessing that there were around 100 players in the Senior Bowl. IF the majority of them got drafted, that would mean most teams probably drafted 2 or 3 of them.

Someone asked a question. I knew the answer and gave it to them. So there was no point to the post, much in the same way there was little point to your judgment of it.

If the guy just watched all the video he could find and read all the sites most importantly this one he could have done his job in his sleep :w00t: !!!!! It's easy and without accountability to be an internet forum GM but collectively I think this forum has made a lot of good calls and pointed out some of the rather OBVIOUS bad ones. Maybin over Orakpo cough cough...Whitnter over Ngata...cough cough....Mike Williams over Bryant McKinnie....etc.

Someone asked a question. I knew the answer and gave it to them. So there was no point to the post, much in the same way there was little point to your judgment of it.

Easy boy. I was just stating a fact about the senior bowl players being drafted. Next time, I'll take note that there is no point to your posts! :P

Probably the most frustrating part of the last decade of utter futility, from a fan perspective, was that we had no idea who is ultimately making decisions. Few things are as frustrating as being super pissed off and not knowing who you should be pissed at.

We know the product on field has been sub par. We know that poor personnel decisions are a large factor in that, but who was making decisions pre Nix? Was it Brandon, Modrak, Guy, Jauron, Levy, Wade, our meddling owner, all of the above?

While I don't have any issue with his dismissal, I'm not as sure as some others here at TBD that Modrak is some grossly incompetent fool, barely intelligent enough to handle the fry station at McDonald's, far less run a scouting dept for a professional football team. I am sure, however, that I would like nothing more than for Modrak or another of the Bills gilted, former employees to write a tell-all book about the last decade and shed some light on the inner workings at OBD.

When Donte moves on I expect he will be a wealth of information.

I'm confused, if they were unhappy with him, then why go through the draft and dump him afterwards.

Probably the only time you can fire him is after the draft. The organization probably had already started draft preparation when it decided Modrak wasn't good enough. So fire him once the draft is over begin preparation with a new staff fresh for next years draft.

Still makes you wounder why they didn't do this after last years draft is beyond me. Although it could have been due to a lack of Impact from last years draftees this past season that lead to this.

'Cuz until the draft is over, he's a valuable source of inside gouge on the strategy of the #3 pick-holder. After the draft is over, he's just a guy.

Just keeping up with the OBD tradition of doing things way too late.

Man, what a downer of a response but I just can't dis off someone with an XKCD strip as his avatar.

Looks like maybin got his first sack :)

+1 :thumbsup:

DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!!!!

You stole my line. I was actually humming this after the news.

Probably the most frustrating part of the last decade of utter futility, from a fan perspective, was that we had no idea who is ultimately making decisions. Few things are as frustrating as being super pissed off and not knowing who you should be pissed at.

We know the product on field has been sub par. We know that poor personnel decisions are a large factor in that, but who was making decisions pre Nix? Was it Brandon, Modrak, Guy, Jauron, Levy, Wade, our meddling owner, all of the above?

While I don't have any issue with his dismissal, I'm not as sure as some others here at TBD that Modrak is some grossly incompetent fool, barely intelligent enough to handle the fry station at McDonald's, far less run a scouting dept for a professional football team. I am sure, however, that I would like nothing more than for Modrak or another of the Bills gilted, former employees to write a tell-all book about the last decade and shed some light on the inner workings at OBD.

When Donte moves on I expect he will be a wealth of information.

Excellent post.

Just read it on the Buffalo Bills website. I wonder why after the draft?

I think they gave him enough rope to hang himself. My guess is that he did not live up to Buddy's standards...

He may not have selected the picks that have left this franchise in the gutter for the past decade, but he had to have a hand in creating the draft boards that ranked players.

Agreed. The pre-draft preparation and grading were all on TM and his scouts. So the old addage about "garbage in yielding garbage out" comes to mind.

Could this be Tom's replacement?