MODRAK FIRED!

The owner said they needed a QB during the season and after. It didn't happen.

The owner defended Tom Modrak and his record of failure. Modrak was fired.

The irony abounds.

This is precisely the right time to fire the man, namely because scouting for the 2012 draft has begun already and axing him in July would affect that process. Too bad it should have happened when TD was fired.

At the same time, how many College Scouting/VP's survive through 3 separate GM eras (TD, Levy/Brandon, and Nix)? I get the sense this move was made to placate fans who now know just how bad the drafting has been and wonder why he wasn't fired with Guy at the beginning of 2010? What did he do in the last year he hadn't previously done to warrant his firing now?

Same old Bills. No plan and knee jerk reactions. Ah well, Pasquarelli will be reporting from a pro-Modrak stance shortly.

Same old Bills Fans too, I see... :rolleyes:

Pot meet Kettle.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every silver lining has a cloud, doesn't it?

You wanted him gone, he's gone, but you are still grumpy.

The irony abounds.

This is precisely the right time to fire the man, namely because scouting for the 2012 draft has begun already and axing him in July would affect that process. Too bad it should have happened when TD was fired.

At the same time, how many College Scouting/VP's survive through 3 separate GM eras (TD, Levy/Brandon, and Nix)? I get the sense this move was made to placate fans who now know just how bad the drafting has been and wonder why he wasn't fired with Guy at the beginning of 2010? What did he do in the last year he hadn't previously done to warrant his firing now?

Same old Bills. No plan and knee jerk reactions. Ah well, Pasquarelli will be reporting from a pro-Modrak stance shortly.

The irony abounds.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand you've reached an all-time low.

Move was made to placate the fans? How bout it was made because (as you've been chirping about for a decade now) HE SUCKED. Jesus, they finally do something which six months ago you were screaming for and instead of being smart, the FO is foolish for bending to the will of the fan.

"Too bad it should have happened when TD was fired." Yeah, no ****. But it didn't. And that was a half decade ago, get over it.

Instead, his firing happened when Jauron was axed, and not a moment sooner. Couldn't have done it in January 2010 because it would have jeopardized the 2011 draft. Having the one year buffer after that let Buddy prime somebody for his takeover while still making use of Modrak's resources on upperclassmen for THIS year's draft.

You clamor for his firing in January of 2010 (basically negating an entire year's worth of scouting) then turn RIGHT around and call it a knee jerk reaction when it his firing was strategically orchestrated two years after the fact. Classic.

I remember after the draft that hardly any of these picks had a "Modrak" feel to them and more of a Buddy Nix feel

- Big and physical (with the exception of one late round pick)

- Addressing needs

- Can play now and not drafted on the "potential to play"

Agreed, John.

This draft had a much different aftertaste than any other in recent memory.

Actually this makes perfect sense. The bills needed his services through the draft. Now they have time to get someone new in place for 2012. The new individual will have a full year to prepare for the 2012 draft.

Buddy could have fired him after the draft last year, so I'm not sure the end of the draft timing really explains anything. Indeed, the whole "bridge year" process is a bit strange, especially given the age of the owner. With Buddy's experience being in the area of scouting, one would've thought that would be an area where the record of fail would've lead him to act swiftly and decisively to clean house and bring in his own people. He didn't and it's anyone's guess as to why it didn't happen. Money? The guy he wanted wasn't available? Ralph/Brandon pushing to keep the status quo? Buddy's conservative nature?

Whatever. Modrak is finally gone, and that is a good thing in my book. The fumes of drafting Donovan McNabb finally ran out. :thumbsup:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand you've reached an all-time low.

Move was made to placate the fans? How bout it was made because (as you've been chirping about for a decade now) HE SUCKED. Jesus, they finally do something which six months ago you were screaming for and instead of being smart, the FO is foolish for bending to the will of the fan.

"Too bad it should have happened when TD was fired." Yeah, no ****. But it didn't. And that was a half decade ago, get over it.

Instead, his firing happened when Jauron was axed, and not a moment sooner. Couldn't have done it in January 2010 because it would have jeopardized the 2011 draft. Having the one year buffer after that let Buddy prime somebody for his takeover while still making use of Modrak's resources on upperclassmen for THIS year's draft.

You clamor for his firing in January of 2010 (basically negating an entire year's worth of scouting) then turn RIGHT around and call it a knee jerk reaction when it his firing was strategically orchestrated two years after the fact. Classic.

Very well said. I was going to leave it alone, seeing as it was Vet, but you hit the nail on the head this time.

Buddy could have fired him after the draft last year, so I'm not sure the end of the draft timing really explains anything. Indeed, the whole "bridge year" process is a bit strange, especially given the age of the owner. With Buddy's experience being in the area of scouting, one would've thought that would be an area where the record of fail would've lead him to act swiftly and decisively to clean house and bring in his own people. He didn't and it's anyone's guess as to why it didn't happen. Money? The guy he wanted wasn't available? Ralph/Brandon pushing to keep the status quo? Buddy's conservative nature?

Whatever. Modrak is finally gone, and that is a good thing in my book. The fumes of drafting Donovan McNabb finally ran out. :thumbsup:

perhaps he wasnt sure last year, and after a year of having modrak report to him, he was not happy. the post draft timing indicates he hasnt been pleased for part of the year but didnt find that displeasure to be worth totally revamping the scouting department mid year. by waiting til post-draft there was no distractions during the scouting process, you got to keep his database of knowledge on board, and all it cost was a couple months of pay.

perhaps he wasnt sure last year, and after a year of having modrak report to him, he was not happy. the post draft timing indicates he hasnt been pleased for part of the year but didnt find that displeasure to be worth totally revamping the scouting department mid year. by waiting til post-draft there was no distractions during the scouting process, you got to keep his database of knowledge on board, and all it cost was a couple months of pay.

My wild guess is that he felt Modrak was doing a good job after talking to him. He leaned on Modrak for last year's draft. He didn't know how that draft would turn out the day after the draft, obviously. One year later, he knew going into this draft that he was going to lean on Chan for this draft and fire Modrak as soon as it was over.

FINALLY!!!!

This dude has blown chunks for years and its great to have him outta here. He was prob clamoring for terrible prospects all draft weekend and Buddy was tired of his crappy evaluating “skill”. Whitner/McCargo/Maybin/etal... thanks for nothing Modrak - I hope the door hits you on your way out!!!!

I would love to hear from all the Modrak sympathizers about how he never had final say and blah blah blah.

Agreed. Good riddance. It wasn't like Marv and Dick were out there scouting, and if they were, I don't know what they thought they saw...

Guest three3

Maybe he got upset with Nix over who the Bills drafted and they parted ways?

no. he worked from his home in florida, avoiding our winters. he probably made 7 figs a year

Agree with you on the conclusion... In the end that is what matters.

Last year there was a lot in flux for the Bills. Maybe it is as simple as they did not want to add this action to the long list.

While the decision probably could have been made last year after the draft based on past record, the fact is that Nix was new to his role and probably wanted to give it time to make his own evaluation. It seems to me at least that Modrak had less influence in this year's decisions than in the past, perhaps indicative of Nix's lack of confidence. The timing after the draft is correct - this starts the new year and does not disrupt the organization in the middle of draft preparations. Bravo Buddy - well done.

Edited by MDFan

Methinks Nix and Whaley did the draft without his input to see how it turns out. Well, we did very well so TM was rendered useless. But, ofcourse this is pure speculation based on the timing. Just a point of reference - did you notice how the three picks we made from Gailey's senior bowl team did not mention Modrak having spoken to these prospects ? I just read about Nix and Gailey talking to them and scoping them out.

You can see the future? Good for u :thumbsup:

Not until Ralph is gone.

Not quite a classy comment. But I think Nix is running the show. No way Modrak is fired if Wilson is calling all the shots. He's finally gotten it: have imput, but let the GM do his job and good things usually happen. Also note that no QB was drafted for 2 years in a row (ok, Brown in the 7th last year), and Ralph wanted one.

Edited by RyanC883

How many of the picks did they coach at the Senior Bowl? I don't think I've actually seen those numbers.

They coached Sheppard and Chris White. Searcy was on the North roster. So, the 3rd, 4th, and 6th round picks are guys they saw a lot of because of the Senior Bowl experience. And, clearly, they saw a lot of other guys they passed over to get the ones they did.

While I don't disagree that Nix may have had a hand in this, the move definitely has the marks of Ralph. He's had a bug up his a$$ all offseason about the last decade of drafting blunders - and rightly so. I'm sure he's been asking Nix why he's paying Modrak to screw drafts up.

This pitstop in Buffalo definitely wasn't a good addition to Modrak's resume. In fact, I'd be surprised if he gets re-hired. Probably the end of the road.

Actually, the move looks like 100% Nix. I think Ralph has finally found someone he's comfortable trusting again.

Not quite a classy comment. But I think Nix is running the show. No way Modrak is fired if Wilson is calling all the shots. He's finally gotten it: have imput, but let the GM do his job and good things usually happen. Also note that no QB was drafted for 2 years in a row (ok, Brown in the 7th last year), and Ralph wanted one.

Which one though?

I doubt he told them to draft a QB for the sake of drafting one. I'm sure he had his mind made up on 1 or 2 guys at QB but likely didn't see him make it to the second round. I think they had their hearts set on defense to start with since it was the biggest problem hence the second round.

Same old Bills? Sorry Vet but that's ironic.

More like "Same old BillsVet". No matter what the Bills do, he's going to B word about it and turn it negative. I believe he has posted numerous times about how keeping on Modrak was a sign that the Bills were run poorly. Now firing Modrak is a sign they are run poorly?

More like "Same old BillsVet". No matter what the Bills do, he's going to B word about it and turn it negative. I believe he has posted numerous times about how keeping on Modrak was a sign that the Bills were run poorly. Now firing Modrak is a sign they are run poorly?

It's funny and predictable. He says "no plan and knee-jerk reaction" when in fact, the timing makes perfect sense (right after draft so no confidentiality issues). It would have been knee-jerk to fire Modrak LAST year, before Nix had an opportunity to oversee the entire scouting operation for a full season and offseason.

Any other owner would have fired him 4-5 years ago, at least, but not Ralphy. Another example of how poorly the entire franchise has been run.

Yep. He didn't fire Modrak because he's cheap.

Any other owner would have fired him 4-5 years ago, at least, but not Ralphy. Another example of how poorly the entire franchise has been run.

Hey, why don't you and BillsVet go down to the gym and pump each other?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Surely even the pessimists can get over themselves and acknowledge a move by the Bills that makes sense.

Because someone like Belichek would've picked him and picked his brain.

Exactly.

Actually, the move looks like 100% Nix. I think Ralph has finally found someone he's comfortable trusting again.

Yes. I don't think it was a matter of Nix finally making the decision to can Modrak, I think it was Nix finally convincing Ralph that it was time to fire Modrak.

Modrak has been Ralph's boy, his trusted confidante, for the last five years. That's why Ralph made him a VP and part of the three headed monster. I think Nix has now replaced Modrak as the trusted one. Ralph OK'd the firing, and Buddy determined the time frame.

The interesting thing now is what will come out of Modrak's mouth. If he is done, and retires, the truth may come out as to who was pulling the trigger on all those awful draft picks.

Yep. He didn't fire Modrak because he's cheap.

Think it is more a statement on the lack of NFL scouting/personnel connections Ralph, Marv, and Brandon had. After Donahoe, Ralph rightly or wrongly became paranoid and wasn't going to hire someone he didn't know. Ralph also knew Nix, but Nix seems to know a lot of people in the football world and have good connections unlike Brandon and Marv.