MODRAK FIRED!

I know we all like to blame RW but Modrak's draft record has been abysmal. I was surprised Nix retained him but it would have been tumultuous to fire Modrak at first and Nix probably wanted time to evaluate his work and the work of the whole scouting department, not knowing how much might be blamed on Wilson and Jauron. Now with a year-plus of evaluation, it's time to say goodbye. It would have been too disruptive to terminate Modrak before the draft though I suspect the decision was made weeks, if not months, ago.

I doubt if RW does his own scouting. If he did indeed make bad draft day decision (and I've never been convinced he was all that involved), it was because Modrak system of evaluating talent and presenting those evaluations to RW (and Jauron) was flawed. This isn't a popular sentiment but I don't think Jauron's win-loss record was that bad considering what Modrak and Brandon gave him to work with.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope the war room was like a timeout for modrak. like every time the bills were too pick he was saying lets get this guy! and buddy gave him a look and said back to the corner tommy. you keep your mouth shut.

When NFL network cut to the Bills war room, there was one table front and center. That table always had Nix and Gailey. Then the surrounding tables has some other coaches and scouts (i assume). But Modrak was not at the head table, and i don't remember seeing him in shots.

It's called search. S-E-A-R-C-H. use it

This thread was created within a minute of the other 2. Do you think they were already posted when I presses "start new topic" or do you think we all got the text from the Bills at about the same time? This thread woll obviously die out or the MODs will marry all three into one. Why do you feel the need to be an obnoxious a-hole about it?

This thread was created within a minute of the other 2. Do you think they were already posted when I presses "start new topic" or do you think we all got the text from the Bills at about the same time? This thread woll obviously die out or the MODs will marry all three into one. Why do you feel the need to be an obnoxious a-hole about it?

Quit being such a kitty, Camel Toe. :devil:

Modrak always worked from his home in Jacksonville. Maybe that's he want seen in the war room?

(EDIT: I sometimes post from my phone and use Swype to type. So no, I'm not drunk at 12:30 in the afternoon.)

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Because they couldn't fire the guy that had a majority of the info on what direction they wanted to go in the draft. The new season for those guys started Monday so that is why he is gone at this point.

When Nix came aboard, Modrak was probably already scouting juniors and seniors... so this year was probably the last group being scouted under Modrak.

He's transferred all his knowledge.

buddy saw for himself....must not have been impressed.

Seriously, I'm sure this is correct. Probably just after the draft and seeing Tommy M's ideas and thoughts, Nix said to himself: "WTF? Get this guy out of here"

Thank God

I'm confused, if they were unhappy with him, then why go through the draft and dump him afterwards.

I think it's clear that Nix wanted to work with Modrak directly before making a decision on his future with the Bills.

Glad to see him go, but yeah why was this done after the draft?

Scouts and personnel guys are always fired after the draft. For one thing, that is when their contracts typically expire. For another thing it allows the team to keep everything confidential until after the draft. As another confidentiality safeguard, most often the team doesn't tell the person getting fired that he's getting fired.

This is standard procedure in the NFL.

Bills Update

The Buffalo Bills today announced that Tom Modrak has been relieved of his duties as Vice President of College Scouting.

from bb.com

Somebody was responsible for drafting Maybin. Modrak? I'll bet he was the guy pounding the table for that blunder.

And we have sucked ever since. Good riddance. And :censored: for Mike Williams, Maybin, Whitner, etc

And..

Losman

McCargo

Hardy

Trentative

Ko -I'm worth millions!

Ellison

:sick: I'm getting sick..

Later, Tommy Boy!

This is Buddy Nix's team plain and simple. Thank the freakin' heavens. After all the handwringing over Nix's hire and Chan's hire on this board I think people are starting to get it that these good ol' boys know a thing or two about football. Go Bills!

And..

Losman

McCargo

Hardy

Trentative

Ko -I'm worth millions!

Ellison -ellison sucks, but he was a 6th rounder. that's actually a decent 6th round pick

Later, Tommy Boy!

Here is Modrak's inglorious legacy with high draft picks:

2002 Mike Williams Texas Tackle

2003 Willis McGahee Miami (FL) Running Back

2004 Lee Evans Wisconsin Wide Receiver

2004 J.P. Losman Tulane Quarterback

2005 No 1st Round Pick, Roscoe Parrish (2nd Round) Miami (FL) Wide Receiver

2006 Donte Whitner Ohio State Safety

2006 John McCargo North Carolina State Defensive Tackle

2007 Marshawn Lynch California Running Back

2008 Leodis McKelvin Troy Defensive Back

2009 Aaron Maybin Penn State Defensive End/Outside Linebacker

2009 Eric Wood Louisville Center

2010 C.J. Spiller Clemson Running Back

How this guy remained employed for a decade is beyond me. Great move to fire him IMHO... I'm strangely starting to like Buddy Nix more and more...

And..

Losman

McCargo

Hardy

Trentative

Ko -I'm worth millions!

Ellison

Later, Tommy Boy!

Here is all of them if you are interested.

link

His first pick as a part of the Bills should have been a dead giveaway on how he would end up here. Mike Williams.

Edited by The Wiz

And..

Losman

McCargo

Hardy

Trentative

Ko -I'm worth millions!

Ellison

Later, Tommy Boy!

We drafted Trent in the 3rd round and up until the concussion he was a solid QB prospect. Not sure what the issue there is.

Another reason why we can be so thankful the Bills were able to coach in the Senior Bowl. Look at how many of their draft picks Gailey, Nix, et al got their hands on, and obviously that also helped them eliminate kids from consideration. And the Jasper kid was a find by another scout.

How many of the picks did they coach at the Senior Bowl? I don't think I've actually seen those numbers.

I guess we can mostly just speculate until some "insider" or Modrak himself provides some insight.

I will throw this out there and say, they may have decided they were going to dump him some time ago but were too far into the process and didn't want to see their scouting reports end up in the hands of an opposing organization.

Either way...you gotta love the drama. :D

The owner said they needed a QB during the season and after. It didn't happen.

The owner defended Tom Modrak and his record of failure. Modrak was fired.

The irony abounds.

This is precisely the right time to fire the man, namely because scouting for the 2012 draft has begun already and axing him in July would affect that process. Too bad it should have happened when TD was fired.

At the same time, how many College Scouting/VP's survive through 3 separate GM eras (TD, Levy/Brandon, and Nix)? I get the sense this move was made to placate fans who now know just how bad the drafting has been and wonder why he wasn't fired with Guy at the beginning of 2010? What did he do in the last year he hadn't previously done to warrant his firing now?

Same old Bills. No plan and knee jerk reactions. Ah well, Pasquarelli will be reporting from a pro-Modrak stance shortly.

Edited by BillsVet

Somebody was responsible for drafting Maybin. Modrak? I'll bet he was the guy pounding the table for that blunder.

I dunno if he was pounding the table but someone surely needed to be fired over that draft pick debacle. Thankfully the time was finally right to get rid of Modrak.

Just read it on the Buffalo Bills website. I wonder why after the draft?

Actually this makes perfect sense. The bills needed his services through the draft. Now they have time to get someone new in place for 2012. The new individual will have a full year to prepare for the 2012 draft.

Ah well, Pasquarelli will be reporting from a pro-Modrak stance shortly.

Exactly right. People I've spoken to have emphasized that much of Pasquarelli's pre draft "insider" columns were basically Tom Modrak scouting reports. Modrak was an expert at prostituting himself to reports in exchange for favorable coverage, as some stories actually linked him to GM jobs that were pipe dreams at best.

Pasquarelli's famous "John McCargo could be a 1st rounder" and "JP Losman has talent to go #1 overall" stories were all Modrak.