The Bills are on the clock: Pick 33

Process

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

WR’s make more difference than safeties. The 10th best WR in football makes more of a difference than the 2nd best safety.

Haha, but even if that’s true.. Dejean seems like he realistically has a chance to be the 2nd best safety in football. Especially in this defense.

Which of the remaining wide receivers seems likely to be a top 10 WR? 

• Like (+1) 4

Personally I think the bills are still fine but they do need to double dip at WR. 

The one name that is never brought up on this board but maybe should be more often is Justin Shorter. I personally don’t have much faith that he will be good but Beane and the coaching staff have been around him for a full year now. He wasn’t some undrafted free agent or 7th round pick. He was taken with the 15th pick in the 5th round.

He is 6’ 4 and 229 lbs and runs a 4.55.

like I said I personally am not expecting much but maybe the bulls have seen enough in practice that they potentially see him as a guy that will get playtime this year. They did invest a decent asset in him 

People keep bringing up Cooper DeJean like he's a lock for us, but at the same time they kept talking like he should have been gone throughout the 1st round, so is there a reason he's been falling so much?

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Then trade back into the 2nd and pick up Troy Franklin or McConkey, instantly one of the best WR rooms in the NFL

I assume you mean Franklin or McConkey alongside Aiyuk? Because I don't think a room of Samuel, Hollins, Shakir, Franklin and Shorter is going to worry anyone.

Just now, Warcodered said:

People keep bringing up Cooper DeJean like he's a lock for us, but at the same time they kept talking like he should have been gone throughout the 1st round, so is there a reason he's been falling so much?

What's not to like about a CB who is apparently a Safety, but hasn't really played much Safety?

Seems like a must have to me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Yobogoya! said:

Haha, but even if that’s true.. Dejean seems like he realistically has a chance to be the 2nd best safety in football. Especially in this defense.

“Realistically has a chance” or “likely?”

I’ll be completely honest man. I’m at the point where I’d take a “realistically has a chance to be a top 10 WR” over “likely one of the best safeties in football.” That’s how much the value difference is.

We did the all-Pro DB room thing already. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Troy Franklin feels like the guy they might like, with the attention he's gotten from them and the attention his QB got from them. As to the idea that they're not interested in WR because of the trade backs with two teams that took WR, feel like they probably had pretty good read on who those teams were taking, KC took the maybe Tyreek Hill can happen twice guy, and the Panthers practically took out a Billboard to announce Leggette.

Id much rather have McConkey, and it sounds like the Bills love him if they had multiple visits with him. 

24 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Find a way to end day two with two out of the three guys above as Bills and this draft will be a home run. Maybe the best I can recall after day 2. 

Few would have batted an eye if either of the three were taken at #28 or #32. They are all still available when we start round 2. 

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I assume you mean Franklin or McConkey alongside Aiyuk? Because I don't think a room of Samuel, Hollins, Shakir, Franklin and Shorter is going to worry anyone.

Yes, alongside an Aiyuk trade. 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I’ll be completely honest man. I’m at the point where I’d take a “realistically has a chance to be a top 10 WR” over “likely one of the best safeties in football.” That’s how much the value difference is.

Thank you..  I literally DO NOT CARE if we go into the season with Rapp & Edwards at Safety.

We had the top Safety duo in the NFL for years and all it seemed to do is shut down bad QB's and Lamar Jackson. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Clearly Beane is in rebuild mode. More bodies on rookie deals while eating massive dead cap. His sights are set on 2025. 2024 is build but be competitive, but we don't have the horses to compete with the elite AFC teams. That and we just gave our nemesis another cheetah.

Oh, give me a break 😂 this board is so over dramatic. We were a missed chip shot FG away from the AFCC while dealing w/ massive amounts of injuries across the roster. The Bills are not in “rebuild” mode and def have the horse power to compete w/ anyone in the division. Crucial guys are going into the season w/ valuable experience and ready to break out, the O-line/D-line are solid, Cook is coming off a career year, a healthy Bernard/Milano may be the best LB coverage duo in the NFL, and we have somebody named Josh Allen. Not to mention we just got rid of a cancerous locker room diva. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

It’s crazy if you would rather the team reach for a suboptimal prospect instead of taking one with much higher potential to make a difference. 

Beane’s miscalculations at WR up to now is not a good reason to want to see him make another potential error. 

I mean if you’ve got a strong and high opinion on the remaining WR prospects, I get it. And that’s fine.

But if I’m looking at it pragmatically, I’m not picking WR at 33 just to do it. We’re obviously going to add bodies to this position in this draft, but I’ve got no problem if they wait until 60 or move up from 60 to do it. It’s same difference to me. 

I hear you. I really do. I understand not drafting for need and picking the BPA. But what we have right now is not an NFL WR corp. They are all WR #3s at best. This is why I hated the idea of trading Diggs and replacing him in the draft because you never know how a draft board will fall and even if you get your guy there are no guarantees that you hit.  The Bills simply cannot go into the year with those as our WRs. They just can't.

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Early run on QB’s. Late run on WR.  Overall needs by teams.

I see the Bills taking him and not a WR. Why else trade back and out of the first round with teams you believe are going to take a WR?  

Also, Beane keeps talking about the 3rd round. I feel he has a couple of guys targeted late 2nd and 3rd to get what we need.

Just now, Warcodered said:

Think there's questions surrounding his medical.

8 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

You could put a prime Ronnie Lott on the Bills and he would make less difference than a solid #2 WR. Remember, we not only lost Diggs. We also lost Gabe Davis. Beane created a huge hole and now he has to fill it. 

I would be very happy with Franklin at #33. I've cooled on him a bit since he was my first draft crush, and we would still need to draft a big bodied guy to complete the room, but he has high upside traits that really excite me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Id take a realistic chance at a top 10 wide receiver too. Personally I would have loved to leap frog Jax for BTJ, but well here we are. 

Which of the remaining prospects is more likely to be a stud receiver than Dejean is to be a stud DB? And I’m not trying to be snarky, I’m honestly curious who you value at that level? 

1 minute ago, davefan66 said:

Why else trade back and out of the first round with teams you believe are going to take a WR?

Feels like they had a pretty good idea who those teams were picking.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

You could put a prime Ronnie Lott on the Bills and he would make less difference than a solid #2 WR. Remember, we not only lost Diggs. We also lost Gabe Davis. Beane created a huge hole and now he has to fill it. 

I agree, but the draft isn’t over after pick 33. 

If we take Dejean here and still get someone like Franklin later in the second, thats the better combination of value based on what’s left, you have to agree with that. If we’ve waited until now, we can still add a player soon-ish.

We already missed out on the top end prospects. No undoing that. Now we make the best of what’s left. 

1 minute ago, Yobogoya! said:

Id take a realistic chance at a top 10 wide receiver too. Personally I would have loved to leap frog Jax for BTJ, but well here we are. 

Which of the remaining prospects is more likely to be a stud receiver than Dejean is to be a stud DB? And I’m not trying to be snarky, I’m honestly curious who you value at that level? 

I don’t think any of them, unfortunately. We missed our window.

We have to get lucky. But even still, I’ll roll on a 10% chance for a star in a Franklin over a 50% chance for a star in Cooper.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Are the Bills the ones spilling the rumors about Mitchell’s diabetes and lack of Coach ability? I’m still not 100% convinced the Bills weren’t the team leaking the Josh Allen stuff to get him to slip a bit

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I hear you. I really do. I understand not drafting for need and picking the BPA. But what we have right now is not an NFL WR corp. They are all WR #3s at best. This is why I hated the idea of trading Diggs and replacing him in the draft because you never know how a draft board will fall and even if you get your guy there are no guarantees that you hit.  The Bills simply cannot go into the year with those as our WRs. They just can't.

Just curious what makes a wr a number 3 in your mind vs a number 1 or 2? Is it stats, size, speed? 

I keep seeing people say we have a bunch of number 3 wr and I’m generally curious how they are classifying them. 

I know Kincaid is a TE but he will likely have 85-90 catches for 1000 yards if he was a wr would you consider him a number 1?

Just now, FireChans said:

I don’t think any of them, unfortunately. We missed our window.

We have to get lucky. But even still, I’ll roll on a 10% chance for a star in a Franklin over a 50% chance for a star in Cooper.

I mean that’s just cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

This team needs top shelf talent, man. We need all pro level players that are t Josh Allen. I’ll take it at any position, even punter (tho not at this draft pick, obviously lol)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I would be very happy with Franklin at #33. I've cooled on him a bit since he was my first draft crush, and we would still need to draft a big bodied guy to complete the room, but he has high upside traits that really excite me.

Definitely a guy that could develop even more, fill out his frame more with NFL weight training and he's young enough he might even grow a little bit more.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

I agree, but the draft isn’t over after pick 33. 

If we take Dejean here and still get someone like Franklin later in the second, thats the better combination of value based on what’s left, you have to agree with that. If we’ve waited until now, we can still add a player soon-ish.

We already missed out on the top end prospects. No undoing that. Now we make the best of what’s left. 

No thanks to a safety with our first pick.  Fortunately, Beane is not dumb enough to do that.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Definitely a guy that could develop even more, fill out his frame more with NFL weight training and he's young enough he might even grow a little bit more.

I’ve said it before on here, he’s a saner Antonio Brown

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I didn’t realize that Joe Brady recruited him out of high school. That would make me feel a little better 

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills come out of tonight with Dejean and two of either Franklin/Mitchell/McConkey/Polk/Coleman then you have to just say hats off to Beane. That would be a master class in drafting.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yup, like what we hoped Robert Foster would become. 

50 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Don’t we have two safeties with starting experience on the roster? Its  not a difficult position to find capable players. Jmo. Bills need is at WR and if they keep moving back at some point they will regret it. Can’t keep neglecting this position

Safety has been a vital part of McDs defense.  So while we do have 2 guys who could start, they are making anyone shake in their boots either and are a downgrade to what we had for the past 6 years.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

I mean that’s just cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

This team needs top shelf talent, man. We need all pro level players that are t Josh Allen. I’ll take it at any position, even punter (tho not at this draft pick, obviously lol)

No it’s accepting the reality of the NFL. 

WR’s are getting paid more and more because they are valuable. Their market is rapidly expanding. The safety market is not.

I’m tired of investing on defense. McD can coach up the Benford’s of the world and be all right. Let’s get some offensive stars.

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 2

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Safety has been a vital part of McDs defense.  So while we do have 2 guys who could start, they are making anyone shake in their boots either and are a downgrade to what we had for the past 6 years.  

Agreed. I honestly think there are a few safeties who would beat out Edwards or Rapp. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Agreed. I honestly think there are a few safeties who would beat out Edwards or Rapp. 

Yeah, there are several that would at least compete to start year 1.  And if they wanted to lean on the Vets more and let one of them learn they at least bring much needed depth as we have no one behind those 2 that would be good options if one went down.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

43 minutes ago, SCBills said:

People have not gone crazy.  It's obvious.

We have Curtis Samuel, Khalil Shakir and Mack Hollins.  That's really it. 

Even with all the defensive injuries last year, we beat KC in the playoffs if we weren't down to a checked-out Diggs and Trent Sherfield as our two weapons spazzing out all game while Shakir was the only one doing anything.  

WR matters so, sooo much more than a starting Safety or some rotational DL.  

Nobody has gone crazy.  We've seen this team neglect WR year in/year out, and we've now seen it bite us when it matters most two years in a row. 

I agree we badly need a WR.  But maybe Beane isn't enamored with the remaining WRs and thinks they're more Mack Hollins than Andre Reed.  We can get a JAG later on in the draft, or cheaply in free agency, if that's what we're down to.  I'd love to see Beane's board and how he's got guys rated.  But I'd rather get a superstar safety or DL than a jag receiver if that's what's left.  

• Like (+1) 1