Rumor: Bills trying aggressively to move up for a WR in round one

Logic

7 minutes ago, Sweats said:

You know, i was the biggest supporter of just letting the board fall to us and see what's left, but i'm leaning towards swinging for the fences this year. I mean, what we've been doing hasn't been working to get us over the hump, so let's try something different.

Here's what i'm thinking.......i think i would rather swing for the fences or swing for that homerun and have a miss, than not swing at all or just go after middle of the road, mediocre and take no step forward in the team's progression.

Stagnant is stagnant, no matter how you cut it.

We gotta elevate this team to the next level and that's why i'm kind of leaning a little more to making a splash this draft.

I don't think its an either or proposition. It really comes down to the talent evaluation and player development. I am 100% in agreement that the Bills reason for failing is not enough difference makers so I am not against trading up and going all in, however I also don't hate the idea of trading back and throwing a bunch of darts at the board.  I would love to get one of the top 3 but if we could get 2 of the next 7 or so guys I would also be very happy.

Is it better to have 1 of Odunze, MHJ (unrealistic), Nabers,  or have 2 of Worthy, Mitchell, Legette, McConkey, Coleman, Franklin, and Pearsall?  I honestly don't know.

I purposely left off BTJ as I think he is in his own category.  Won't have to sell the farm to get him but also he has a chance to be a difference maker by himself.  I also can't shake Nabers on a live stream saying BTJ is going to the Bills.  I am starting to think he will be the guy in a small trade up. 

1 minute ago, JROC INTEL said:

What do you guys think about Legette? After watching his film i’m a bit surprised he’s not being talked about more. He looks elite. 

Thought the same thing.  He is my guy.  His tape is ridiculous.  

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Logic said:

This is the last time I'll say this for a while, after having said it a thousand times this offseason: I'm sick of no other difference makers stepping up for the Bills in big playoff moments. I'm sick of the Bills hitting singles and doubles in the draft, but never home runs.

I'm ready to swing for the fences and try to add a potential superstar to this team. I'm ready to see Rome Odunze catch a toe-tapping, game winning touchdown to beat the Chiefs and advance to the AFCCG, and I don't mind losing out on a safety and a couple backup d-linemen in order to make it happen.

I know I won't win any new converts to my way of thinking, but I'm not feeling at all risk averse this year. Bring on the risk. Bring on a blue chipper. Let's do this thing.

From a macro perspective, this is just the worst year to take those risks and potentially leveraging future draft capital imho.

-Loaded draft.

-'Reset', more holes than usual

With that said, ill quickly get on board with whatever happens, go bills!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

There is so much information offline you get a good read on things but you don’t have information the team has and people will continue to flip out when their guy who was mocked high all month is passed by.  

I was all about let’s go get the best WR is this draft what ever the cost , and now I’m slowly stepping back from that idea probably  because I believe Bean just won’t  do it . 
But then I look at the Dolphins and how Hill completely transformed that offense I can’t remember what they gave up for Hill but what ever it was was worth it 
What did Miami gave up for Hill ??

Edited by Putin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh is in his prime.   swing for the fences.  if you can reach one of the big 3 for decent value,  do it.   ive heard Beane only has 15 prospects labeled as actual 1st round grades.  assuming the top 3 WRs are in there,  go get one.   we need a difference maker,  not a wait and see.

Edited by bigduke6
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Putin said:

I was all about let’s go get the best WR is this draft what ever the cost , and now I’m slowly stepping back from that idea probably  because I believe Bean just won’t  do it . 
But then I look at the Dolphins and how Hill completely transformed that offense I can’t remember what they gave up for Hill but what ever it was was worth it 
What did Miami gave up for Hill ??

Miami gave up a first- and second-round pick, 2 4th rounders, and a 6th rounder.

Edited by Maynard
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Maynard said:

For Odunze, I’d do it in a heartbeat. He’s a special dude. 

I think I'm with you........if he turns into the stud WR1 we think he will be, no one will remember how many picks were given up to get him!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Amazingly, no playoff wins and 2 Super Bowl titles to the Chiefs.  

I don’t think they even make the playoffs without Hill , I’ll go even further I don’t believe they win 8 games without him , 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

The first sentence is saying you should not draft based on need, but you should get that in a FA. Then are you saying that you really didn’t “need” that player that has been providing their service for the last 4 years? It’s the first sentence that is the horrible take. You obviously need to draft based on need. Beane does it with his 1st/2nd round picks each year. Is he wrong?

He is saying that IMMEDIATE needs should be addressed in FA so that teams can focus on drafting the best players for the long term.

Just now, BarleyNY said:

He is saying that IMMEDIATE needs should be addressed in FA so that teams can focus on drafting the best players for the long term.

Hard to fill immediate needs in free agency with a food stamps card 

24 minutes ago, JROC INTEL said:

What do you guys think about Legette? After watching his film i’m a bit surprised he’s not being talked about more. He looks elite. 

It's all in the WR thread discussions. We, on here, have talked about him quite a bit. Some people are scared by the one year of big production. Some say he is stiff in his routes. I say he looks like a faster AJ Brown clone to me. :thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Miami gave up a first- and second-round pick, 2 4th rounders, and a 6th rounder.

This sounds like a good price for Chicago at 9, they have few picks. (And yes I’m going to throw Knox in there again as a sweetener, just don’t see his value vs a cheap FA and kincade) 

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yeah we don't need young players on the team, let's just not draft at all. This is awful

Absolutely no way I’m giving up the whole draft and next years first for number 9

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

Josh is in his prime.   swing for the fences.  if you can reach one of the big 3 for decent value,  do it.   ive heard Beane only has 15 prospects labeled as actual 1st round grades.  assuming the top 3 WRs are in there,  go get one.   we need a difference maker,  not a wait and see.

So I guess the right thing to do is either move up and get that stud WR or trade back 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yeah we don't need young players on the team, let's just not draft at all. This is awful

Like who? What other needs do we have that can't be filled with the other 6 picks we'd still have this year, free agency, and next year's picks?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

the whole draft?  We’d still have a bunch of picks.  

Start with 10, trade 4, get 1 = 7, the average for a team. 

Edited by Turbo44
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Putin said:

Hard to fill immediate needs in free agency with a food stamps card 

The Bills made their choices. It didn’t have to be that way. Also the position they are in has nothing to do with optimal off-season strategy. 

Edited by BarleyNY

My long-shot prediction: Bills trade for DJ Moore. Cost is pick #28 and a mix of later/future picks. Maybe a player (Spencer Brown?)

Bills get a proven WR to replace Diggs at a modest $16M cap number for the next two years. Maybe they extend him two years, since he just turned 27 last week. The Bills avoid a roll of the dice on a receiver at 28. They also potentially keep their #2 pick in the deal. If Brown is part of the package they get an RT in the second to compete with Lael Collins. Then we get a WR in the 4th and everything else is depth. 

The Bears, who have only a few picks, stockpile picks and use #28 to nab the 5th or 6th best WR to be their new #2 WR alongside Odunze or Nabers. Brown would also fill a need for them. They end up with two cost-controlled receivers on 5-year rookie deals to go with their cost-controlled QB, freeing them up for big swings in free agency in 2025.

Feasible?

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Where exactly do we have holes?  Safety? Maybe?   GET AN ELITE WR

You're right of course, we have such an excellent pass-rush full of young players who will be here a long time. Oh wait, we barely have enough halfway decent DTs and DEs to fill a room and most of them are old. At least we have options at LG and C in the event the guys expected to start there don't play well, right?

• Eyeroll 1