Rumor: Bills trying aggressively to move up for a WR in round one

Logic

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Yeah if he gets that far you forget pick value and overpay to get the player.

Yep. Only way I can see it not happening is if the Bills simply try their hardest and fail, and some team feels as strongly about Odunze as the Bills do and takes him rather than trading back. It always takes two to tango. Bills can try 'til they're blue in the face, but they can't force anyone to trade with them.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

Benjamin Albright, who was discussed earlier in this thread and who was all over Allen to Bills and Oliver to Bills early in those draft years, has released his one and only mock draft.

He has Odunze sliding to 15 and the Colts taking him there.

He has the Bills "trying and failing to trade up" and then drafting Xavier Worthy at 28.

Personally, if Odunze DOES slide as far as 15 (which I don't see as likely), I can't imagine the Bills NOT trading up to get him. But it takes two to tango, and if they were to get shut out, Worthy is a fine consolation prize.

I agree, however, having the 28th pick is not really appealing as trade bait to a whole lot of clubs, i would imagine......and every franchise knows we want a WR, so any flexibility in moving up for anyone of impact will be costly.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Yep. Only way I can see it not happening is if the Bills simply try their hardest and fail, and some team feels as strongly about Odunze as the Bills do and takes him rather than trading back. It always takes two to tang. Bills can try 'til they're blue in the face, but they can't force anyone to trade with them.

Ain’t that the truth 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

and as good as our offense was against the Chiefs, it was the Chiefs defense that stopped us when the game mattered or even I could say our lack of defense wasn't able to stop the Chiefs offense enough to win. I mean our offense put up the 2nd most points the Chiefs gave up all season in that playoff game and we still lost. 

If you haven't yet watched it, I would strongly recommend that you give a view to JT O'Sullivan "The QB School" Youtube piece on the KC @ Bills playoff game.

A team between two great teams will often hinge on 3-5 plays.  In this case, we had at least 3 potential game-changing plays, 2 catchable balls that were not; and a throw to the EZ where the blocking call probably wasn't optimal.  On two of those plays, the Chiefs D didn't stop us so much as we stopped ourselves.

And yes of course, our D wasn't able to stop the Chiefs as much, that's what happens when you start what someone here quipped "the Little Sisters of the Poor" at LB and somewhat at CB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

That thread needs to be stickied for eternity. A lot of message board people posing as collegiate scouts embarrassed themselves.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yep. Only way I can see it not happening is if the Bills simply try their hardest and fail, and some team feels as strongly about Odunze as the Bills do and takes him rather than trading back. It always takes two to tango. Bills can try 'til they're blue in the face, but they can't force anyone to trade with them.

They also don't have a whole lot to give. That's the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

He doesn't have to line up as an X. He just has to be on the line on the opposite side of the formation from Knox. It can be anywhere. 

To clarify...

Legal formation only requires that 7 players are on the LOS (behind ball and infront of centers belt) at the time the ball is snapped. The furthest from the ball (the end) on either side are eligible receivers...hence tight and split end. Everyone else is a back and doesn't have to be on the line and doesn't need to reset after motion.  

So if you have two TE in the game, and they both line up on the line...the rest of your eligible receivers don't have to. They can be anywhere on the LOS, so long as it is opposite sides. It's the beauty of the two TE look. Now I have posters saying Kincaid can't play TE? He's just a big slot? Then he was a waste of a pick...I also think that's a trash opinion, but whatever.

Kincaid OL OL OL OL OL Knox     

Samuel                                  Josh                           Shakir

Cook

Is a legal formation

Edited by Mikey152

Im watching the cowboys draft show while I work...because of Bryan Broaddus and his contacts around the league.  He thinks Buffalo will be aggressive....saying beane might get fired soon....that is nonsense....but anyway he mentioned again that KC is going to be aggressive and that Jacksonville is looking to take a corner.

so that tells me Jax is not going to be interested in moving back and that Buffalo may be looking at a situation where KC jumps ahead of them for a WR or maybe an Offensive lineman.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

They also don't have a whole lot to give. That's the problem.

Yeah.

The other problem is that the Bills likely aren't the only team that doesn't have 28 first round grades on players this year, so why would trading all the way back to 28 be particularly attractive to anyone?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah.

The other problem is that the Bills likely aren't the only team that doesn't have 28 first round grades on players this year, so why would trading all the way back to 28 be particularly attractive to anyone?

This is probably how it always is.  I imagine there are very rare times there are 32 first round players.

I am sure a bunch of players most teams dont see as 1st rounders will go in the first pushing some of their own 1st round guys back. 

also the fifth year option is huge.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

That's like saying your friend who told you instead of saving for retirement he was going to put all of that money towards lottery tickets. Your response would be that he is an idiot. And then he wins and he makes fun of you forever about it. That was similar odds of Josh Allen being good. He's literally the only one in the history of the NFL to make it based on a lot of analytics, a true statistical outlier.

Read this:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

To this date you still bash him. Cuts deep with you I see.

The day of the draft their were people that thought Allen was going to go #1.

But you know better.

Edited by Beast
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Beane doesn't seem like a guy that waits for any 'ol player to "fall" to him.  He goes up and gets who he loves.  That's what he will do tomorrow night.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

To this day he's never won anything except the hearts of fans who are ok with being a "pretty good" team

Hurts to be so ***** wrong, doesn’t it? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

To this day he's never won anything except the hearts of fans who are ok with being a "pretty good" team

there are a whole bunch of guys in the hall of fame who can say the exact same thing.

probably best to admit the guy is pretty great.

Edited by MikePJ76
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah.

Yup. 

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah.

because every teams needs are different

while we have one huge hole and are contenders, another team could really value multiple picks and pushing some of that value back a year to better meet their window (maybe a more developmental project plus picks next year instead of an instant impact)

Yes that's why I root for my team. So 1 guy can maybe be good enough to be in the HOF. Definitely not first ballot without a Superbowl though

that response doesn't really make much sense.

Dan Fouts, Dan Marino and Warren Moon have no championships and they got in.  

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

In the end I expect this to be much commotion about nothing. I'm certain Beane has called pretty much everyone about what a package to move up would look like. Gathering information. He does this every year to my knowledge. So do most GMs.

My best guess is in the long run this is a nothing burger. Lots of people spinning their wheels this week are building some pretty high expectations that will set themselves up for a disappointment come Thursday Night IMO.

Yeah I mean this in reality is the least notable thing ever.  a GM not doing this with every other GM would be notable.

even a team in a spot you dont think you would want to move to, you still should be touching base with all 31 others

'hey would you even consider moving from where you are?

---no- ok thanks, got anyone else youre looking to move on your roster, even depth guy?

---yes? i know its a situational decision, but whats ballpark youd be looking for?  

bare bones, this is literally their job. theres what, 10mins between picks?  32 teams, each team has like 10 ppl in draft room. GMs, HCs, their assistants, an owner... a million moving parts, these guys should all have some type of rough idea of a bare bones starting point of a negotiation. on top of that, theyre job is to relationship build.... touch base, be friendly, likable. you cant be a GM with multiple sour relationships in the league, and its advantageous as hell to have good comfortable working relationships, because maybe that team will call you first when something juicy pops up.  'hey call beane, we got a short window and maybe only time for 1 call to get this done, hes fair, easy to work with, decisive....'

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

This is your pattern - you have like 5-6 great posts in a row and then you take a crap on the forum.  

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Dealing from a  position of weakness is going to cost a ton.

meh. none of this matters now that diggs is already gone. not ideal timing to get rid of him pre-draft, but its safe to assume theres a reason it needed done ASAP,, now its obvious we want WR r1, but even before that trade teams arent dumb. the fans knew WR rd1 was likely, you cant hide your roster.

if a team gets greedy asking price, you call the next one down the list and hope someone will undercut a crazy demand..... and if nobody will, be fine staying put. youd LIKE to move up (maybe), but you dont HAVE to.  thats beanes leverage

16 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

12 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Yes that's why I root for my team. So 1 guy can maybe be good enough to be in the HOF. Definitely not first ballot without a Superbowl though

Keep buying those lottery tickets. I'll stick with my 401k

I remember how much you hated the idea of Allen being the pick.  So much you threatened to quit being a fan of the team if he was the selection. 

Yet here you are.  With that profile pic to boot.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Did anyone see the nice / endearing piece on NFL about Adonai Mitchell and him transferring for his daughter?

My first thought: Buffalo is going to be a problem. 

I'd cross him off our boards. 

lol this is a comically bad post

15 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

The best part about thursday is that we will find out how the actual nfl teams view the players.  Content creators have 4 months of screaming into the great big void about who wants what and where....then the actual draft comes and usually we find out very few of these people have a really accurate beat on how players are viewed.  Teams have more info than the content creators and it always shows on the weekend of the draft.

the best part is the freak out from these people about how team x could have taken player Y 2 rounds earlier over player Z....while never acknowledging that what they didn't know about player Z is he had both thumbs removed in the offseason and now has to catch the ball like a golden retriever.  I look forward to that every year.

Tomorrow around the league we should start to get a more accurate view of things.  I heard bryan broaddus on the radio here in DFW today talking about how one of his GM friends said Latham, the O-lineman is viewed higher than most of the analysts are projecting and will be gone in the teens.  FWIW he keeps talking about the chiefs and cowboys making a deal if Dallas's players are gone when they pick at 24 and he knows KC has the ammunition to move up and have some players targeted, he mentioned wr.

anyway.  I am completely against selling out this whole draft and the best part of next years for a wr.

If we play it the right way, we may not lose much at all next year

I see things have gotten........weird in this thread.

It's like the dog days of training camp when fights start breaking out between teammates. Everyone's tired of hitting their own guys and desperately need a preseason game to get here so we can hit someone else.

Draft night can't come soon enough!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Every time that thread gets re-posted, Gunner thinks "oh for fu*k's sake"

Kinda funny how two posters that do a lot of draft talk Gunner and Happy both were terribly wrong 

Another reminder why we are fans 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes 

Im loving this. I said a few weeks ago I thought Odunze would be our target. He fits everything Buffalo with character and work ethic. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DJB said:

Kinda funny how two posters that do a lot of draft talk Gunner and Happy both were terribly wrong 

Another reminder why we are fans 😂

Well they're no more wrong than the guys on TV, probably right the same amount too. I appreciate their knowledge for those of us who don't watch college ball.

I was listening to the First Draft podcast from the 2018 draft the other day. So funny hearing the guys talk about Rosen being a franchise QB. Though to be fair in their mock Kiper did have Josh Allen going number 1 to the Browns. Probably Kiper's greatest ever prediction

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, DJB said:

Im loving this. I said a few weeks ago I thought Odunze would be our target. He fits everything Buffalo with character and work ethic. 

He’s my draft crush. Unfortunately, it just seems like a long shot. I’m sure there are other teams that are either already in position or a few that would trade up as well to get this guy. If we came away with odunze, that would be my dream scenario. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

I see things have gotten........weird in this thread.

It's like the dog days of training camp when fights start breaking out between teammates. Everyone's tired of hitting their own guys and desperately need a preseason game to get here so we can hit someone else.

Draft night can't come soon enough!

Before I put any time in to reading this post I've quoted, what was your stance on JA in pre-draft 2018?

• Sad 1

7. Buffalo Bills (from Titans*): Rome Odunze, WR, Washington

Titans trade Nos. 7 and 106 to Bills for Nos. 28, 60, 133, 160 and a 2025 first-rounder.

General manager Brandon Beane did his best last week to say he doesn’t think wide receiver is a glaring hole, but with only Khalil Shakir, Curtis Samuel and Mack Hollins as their top three, logic screams otherwise. Beane stressed last week that he wants receivers who are “smart, selfless and versatile,” and that perfectly sums up Odunze, who has the talent to be Josh Allen’s long-term No. 1 receiver. He also has the leadership the Bills covet and the versatility to start at X receiver but play across the formation. Having Minnesota’s potentially early 2025 second-round pick next year helps Beane justify sending away a major asset like their 2025 first-rounder. — Joe Buscaglia

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes 

IMHO its going to take getting up to #4 with Arizona. I would offer 2024 1st and 4th, 2025 1st  and 2nd, And see how it goes.

4 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

For several years if they trade future picks.

were worried that the strategy would then be winning with the offense?

we have the #2 QB in the nfl, one whos never had a fully dynamic offense around him like weve seen Mahomes have some years (not this year)

its 2024 where the NFL as a whole is driven by offense

adding a nasty WR to Josh is not 1 + 1 = 2

theres a synergy where the goal, if trading up, is 1 + 1 = 10

offense is at a rules advantage versus the defense league wide. this is the strategy we SHOULD be feeding into. not all the resources should go to the offense, but your top resources should

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, Logic said:

I think it's down to what Tyler Dunne said today:

The two scenarios for the Bills are either:

1) Trade up for Rome Odunze

2) Xavier Worthy

It's gonna be one of those two things.

I like the idea of both. A true alpha X receiver would be great. A truly electrifying Z receiver with terrifying speed to open up the middle for Kincaid, Shakir, Samuel, and Cook is great. Either one would improve the Bills offense greatly. Two different flavors, but both would make us more dynamic.

I really believe it's down to those two options as the most likely.

I mean Curtis Samuel ran a 4.31 40 time, is it really going to be that noticeable on the field if Worthy runs a 4.21 40 time? Maybe it is but something tells me no and he only weighs a buck 65 , that would scare the ***** out of me to be honest but if we selected of course it's the best pick ever and we just drafted Tyreek Hill 2.0.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

IMHO its going to take getting up to #4 with Arizona. I would offer 2024 1st and 4th, 2025 1st  and 2nd, And see how it goes.

#4 would get us Harrison Jr., no way Odunze goes before Harrison Jr. and Nabers.

• Agree 3