And we're on to.. Aiyuk?

JMM

20 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I don't know if Seattle would actually move him, but I'd rather go after DK Metcalf.  I'd offer 60, a 2025 2nd and 4th.

Then I'd take Xavier Worthy at 28 

I'd be ok with this but I think Aiyuk is the more dynamic player while Metcalf is the more ESPN Monday morning highlight player. 

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

His contract is why he is available.  That would be part of the deal and possibly how they lower compensation.  His yard per catch and target are very high.  Would be a #1 on this offense and has big play ability.  

Aiyuk's wanting a big contract is why he is available.  He wants to get paid.  Yes, the Bills could structure a deal to get this back-loaded but they got a pay me WR back in the fold.  The advantage is they have a vet, proven commodity vs the rookies.  It is the safer 2024 option.

Personally, I would prefer if the Bill would try the riskier approach of getting two plus attitude WRs early.  Trade a little down and get two out of McConkey/K Coleman/Legette/T Franklin/maybe Worthy.  A couple of culture fit rookies who are thrilled with the opportunity to be on the team and have a chance.  Riskier but it increases the odds of a great, young offensive core that acknowledges Josh as the leader.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

I'd be ok with this but I think Aiyuk is the more dynamic player while Metcalf is the more ESPN Monday morning highlight player. 

I suppose that's a fair argument.   But, if you give Metcalf the amount of targets Diggs had....he'd be a monster here IMO 

image.thumb.png.30d6ecadbba5eefc15bc0932137900ef.png

no sure what acquiring team would take on cap hit wise.  We may need to have his deal extended to push $ before a trade. Same with Aiyuk

Edited by Warriorspikes51

I'm kinda warming to the idea of Aiyuk (assuming we don't give up a first for him) and a rookie at 28.  Aiyuk won't become expensive until next year, when Diggs's salary comes off the books.  that way, we're not going into 2024 relying on a rookie WR1.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JMM said:

Thoughts about a trade for him? Could we even afford what he will want? And what would it take pick wise. A proven commodity,  but costly. I'm not sure I would do it because of this amazing draft for WRs.

We need cost control. Not a WR on a 5th year option about to get paid similiar money to what Diggs was making

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I want a good WR out of the draft that can grow into that #1 role and be on a cost controlled rookie deal for the next 4-5 seasons. 

I do not want to give up high picks and then pay a guy top dollar on top of it. 

It's not just the cost or picks for me.  It's also being careful about attitude, fit/culture.  In my other post I mention trying to move down a little to take two chances in this years WR pool - the McConkey/Coleman/Franklin/Legette.    The double dip obviously increases the odds of hitting on one, and if you hit on both there is room available here.

Going with rookies at WR while riskier has the reward of creating an offensive cost controlled juggernaut for 3-4 more years!  A good base is already there.  And with rookies in the fold, Josh is promoted to more of the leader role.

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I suppose that's a fair argument.   But, if you give Metcalf the amount of targets Diggs had....he'd be a monster here IMO 

image.thumb.png.30d6ecadbba5eefc15bc0932137900ef.png

Yup. Why I would be ok with it. People aren't really grasping the amount of cap space this has opened up in 2025. If the Bills cut Von Miller post June 1st next year it opens up 17.5 million plus the 27 million they saved on trading Diggs. That is 44.5 million of cap savings! That doesn't factor in the cap rising. Further cuts. Cap restructures. 

To my knowledge we only have Spencer Brown and Rosseau to resign coming up that will be in the bigger range. Shakir, Kincaid, Torrence, Benford, Bernard are further down the line. 

With the extra high 2nd round pick in 2025 the Bills are absolutely in a place they can take a big swim on a high end 2nd contract guy. Doesn't even have to be a receiver. They could trade for a clear cut stud Dend if they wanted to. 

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

We need cost control. Not a WR on a 5th year option about to get paid similiar money to what Diggs was making

Bills entire roster is now cost controlled outside Von who they can comfortably walk away from next year. Bills need to add talent and swapping out a 31 year old decling receiver for a 26 year old in his prime receiver is in my opinion the definition of cost control.

Give me a dynamic 1st round WR over Aiyuk or Higgins.

I want a young guy to come in, grow with Josh Allen, and spend a decade+ in Buffalo.

Yes, I realize there is inherent risk in drafting a guy, vs signing someone like Aiyuk who is already proven. That's okay. I'm okay with the risk.

I like the idea of having a WR1 on a cost-controlled contract for five years. 

Now, if they want to draft a first round WR to be WR1 and then also turn around and send a mid-round pick for a guy like Hopkins or Godwin, that's another story. THAT would be just fine with me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Give me a dynamic 1st round WR over Aiyuk or Higgins.

I want a young guy to come in, grow with Josh Allen, and spend a decade+ in Buffalo.

Yes, I realize there is inherent risk in drafting a guy, vs signing someone like Aiyuk who is already proven. That's okay. I'm okay with the risk.

I like the idea of having a WR1 on a cost-controlled contract for five years. 

Now, if they want to draft a first round WR to be WR1 and then also turn around and send a mid-round pick for a guy like Hopkins or Godwin, that's another story. THAT would be just fine with me.

Why not have both? You maximize that rookie recievers potential at #28 by not having him be the go to outside receiver day 1 and you ensure you have a high talent pro bowl receiver opposite of him while maximizing Allen's best years. 

Bills entire offense is cost controlled over the next 2 years. Now is the time to strike and get a younger NFL pro bowl level proven player for Josh Allen prime while also adding a high end talent receiver at 28. 

Bills can have both and they'd be smart to do it. Bills biggest failure with Diggs is they assumed Isiah Mckenzie and Davis would become something they weren't. Everything else about this Bills offense is great. Why not add Aiyuk or another proven NFL receiver and a stud at 28 and get this thing rolling? 

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We can’t afford him.  

Yes we can...

7 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

Why not have both? You maximize that rookie recievers potential at #28 by not having him be the go to outside receiver day 1 and you ensure you have a high talent pro bowl receiver opposite of him while maximizing Allen's best years. 

Bills entire offense is cost controlled over the next 2 years. Now is the time to strike and get a younger NFL pro bowl level proven player for Josh Allen prime while also adding a high end talent receiver at 28. 

Bills can have both and they'd be smart to do it. Bills biggest failure with Diggs is they assumed Isiah Mckenzie and Davis would become something they weren't. Everything else about this Bills offense is great. Why not add Aiyuk or another proven NFL receiver and a stud at 28 and get this thing rolling? 

Yes we can...

If they can have acquire Aiyuk while also keeping the 28th pick and using it on a receiver, then sure. I'm just not confident that SF is letting Aiyuk go for that little.

If the Bills can draft a 1st round WR and ALSO add a veteran -- an Aiyuk or Hopkins or Godwin -- then great. I just think it'll be tough.

Just now, Logic said:

If they can have acquire Aiyuk while also keeping the 28th pick and using it on a receiver, then sure. I'm just not confident that SF is letting Aiyuk go for that little.

If the Bills can draft a 1st round WR and ALSO add a veteran -- an Aiyuk or Hopkins or Godwin -- then great. I just think it'll be tough.

Agreed. Aiyuk is going to cost a 2024 and 2025 second. Luckily for the Bills they'll have the Vikings 2nd which will likely fall in the 33 to 50 range. Even if the Niners demand the Vikings 2nd i still do this. To add Aiyuk and a receiver at 28 would catapult this offense to a new level. 

Next year blow your brains out on defense and adding a gaurd. Can only do so much in one off season and this is the best route in 2024 to Superbowl contention to me.

2 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Oof. Just saw his contract hit. We can't afford that without working out a new contract first.

Easily doable with 45 million coming off the books between Diggs and Von in 2025.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We can’t afford him.  

His salary is 7m this year. They can make room for that. Then the next three seasons we get almost 90mil back from Diggs being off the book.

This is a move you cannot afford to make when your paying a premium for a franchise QB...the picks are too valuable, and the cost for said players contract just isn't optimal for the construction of a well rounded roster 

24 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

Agreed. Aiyuk is going to cost a 2024 and 2025 second. Luckily for the Bills they'll have the Vikings 2nd which will likely fall in the 33 to 50 range. Even if the Niners demand the Vikings 2nd i still do this. To add Aiyuk and a receiver at 28 would catapult this offense to a new level. 

Next year blow your brains out on defense and adding a gaurd. Can only do so much in one off season and this is the best route in 2024 to Superbowl contention to me.

Easily doable with 45 million coming off the books between Diggs and Von in 2025.

Yeah, but they'd still need to work out a contract in three weeks

13 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

His salary is 7m this year. They can make room for that. Then the next three seasons we get almost 90mil back from Diggs being off the book.

Doesn't he want to get paid this year though?  I mean if we can get him here with him playing on his $7M deal, then great, I have watched a lot of him since my wife is a die hard niners fan and I think he is a stud.  But everything I have heard in regards to the issues in SF is that he wants to be paid now, and that is why I said we can't afford him.  

And as much as I do like Aiyuk, I wouldn't give up a bounty for him either.  This is an insane draft for WR's, we could land one on a rookie deal for 5 years that has more upside than even what Aiyuk is.  No guarantess obviously when it comes to draft picks, but the allure of getting a stud WR1 on a rookie deal the next 4 to 5 years of Josh's prime would be HUGE for us cap wise.  

But hey, I am all for getting a sure thing in Aiyuk too, just don't give up both the farm and a ton of future cap space during a historically deep and rich WR draft.  

Poking around the web, it seems like 49ers fans think they are going to get a first and a good roster player for Aiyuk. I really doubt it. They chose to pay Deebo, so Aiyuk is on his way out one way or another eventually which weakens their negotiating position.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, DapperCam said:

Poking around the web, it seems like 49ers fans think they are going to get a first and a good roster player for Aiyuk. I really doubt it. They chose to pay Deebo, so Aiyuk is on his way out one way or another eventually which weakens their negotiating position.

60 and a 2025 2nd would be my final offer. If they don't accept, oh well!  We will gladly draft our own young WR's 

2 hours ago, TonyBeets said:

We need a 1, not a 2.  Slim pickings I know, I'd rather take our chances drafting one.

I highly doubt that anyone they may get isn't coming with a day 1 or 2 WR as well.

We need a 1, not a 2.  Slim pickings I know, I'd rather take our chances drafting one.

He is a #1. Watch more Niners he’s a stud

But it doesn’t matter we aren’t trading for a young WR that needs a monster contract with our cap situation 

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They can't trade for him. Because they can't absorb the 5th year option cap hit and they can't restructure him before he is on the roster. And they can't get him on the roster and stay under the cap.

Interesting...can you explain further?  I thought Aiyuk would be relatively cheap this year and would not become expensive until next year when Diggs and Miller come off of our cap... 

Aiyuk is #1. 

With Josh as his QB, I guarantee a 1300+ yard season out of him, barring injury.  

Aiyuk is a solid player but no thanks to the projected $27-30m a year.

His own words is he wants to be top 5 of APY after the Mike Evans contract. 

That contract is $26m APY…

Not to compare to the Chiefs but they did just fine after getting rid of a guy who was asking $25m+ APY…

Keep the first round draft picks to help the whole team. Then get a guy that still gives some financial flexibility and can grow with Josh. 

9ers don’t want to move on is the word on the street, can pay him while Purdy is on his peanuts. Probably entails at least a 1st and a 2nd for them to move him. Then the contract to boot. 

Pass for me. 2¢

Edited by BBFL
  • Thank you (+1) 1

WR salaries are getting silly.

I don't see us trading for another big contract.  Trade up in the draft & get Odunze or Nabers, and get a #1 on a rookie salary for a few years.

• Agree 1

This is the greatest WR draft ever!  Hold on to our picks, double dip, drafting 2 WR, set up Josh with 2 great WR the next decade, and pay rookie contracts, 4 years, instead if overpaying a 26 year old and giving away precious assets 

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

Interesting...can you explain further?  I thought Aiyuk would be relatively cheap this year and would not become expensive until next year when Diggs and Miller come off of our cap... 

He is on a 5th year option. It pays $14m this year. We have around $3m in space right now. We get another $10m due in June when Tre comes off the books but we need that money to pay our draft picks.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is on a 5th year option. It pays $14m this year. We have around $3m in space right now. We get another $10m due in June when Tre comes off the books but we need that money to pay our draft picks.

So the Bills can't restructure? Pretty sure they can. Allen also has a boatload of, of unused restructure if the Bills wanted to do this. I'm against kicking money down the road but with Allen I dont really care. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Thanks.  It has been posted elsewhere that he would cost only $7 million this year...could we extend him and lower his cap hit this year?

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is the greatest WR draft ever!  Hold on to our picks, double dip, drafting 2 WR, set up Josh with 2 great WR the next decade, and pay rookie contracts, 4 years, instead if overpaying a 26 year old and giving away precious assets 

Assests aren't always proven commodities. Id rather have a proven commodity and attempt another asset at 28 instead of thinking a guy at 60 is gonna be a sure thing. For every Torrence there is two Cody Fords. 

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Thanks.  It has been posted elsewhere that he would cost only $7 million this year...could we extend him and lower his cap hit this year?

Yes he is 14 million this year. Yes the Bills can restructure. Yes with Allen's further restructure they could fit him in while continuing to round out the roster. No the Bills won't be in cap hell with 45 million coming off the books in 2025 with Diggs gone and Von released post June 1st.

I'm all for keeping picks and hoping they hit. But I've done this dance with Beane and this regime already with Diggs. Stop screwing around and load up on offensive talent while the core rb/receiver talent is cost controlled. Get the damn proven # 1 outside receiver and add another high end talent at 28 instead of wishing Isiah Mckenzie or Gabe Davis becomes a stud. I'm done with this methodical approach. You've been gifted a ton of cap space. Do something with it while 8 of your 11 offensive players are cost controlled. Knox can be released in 2026 and there is more money. 

IM DONE WASTING ALLENS PRIME YEARS. That's all we did with Diggs. we surrounded him with subpar talent and it got us nowhere. You have a chance to load up the offensive roster. Freaking do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Could they restructure Allen's, Oliver's, and Milano's contracts to make it work?  The banana stand has a reputation to uphold.

I’d trade this year’s #2, #4, and a #6 for him. It’ll take more than just a 2nd rounder for SF to part ways…they just witnessed what Diggs traded for, and they know whoever trades for Aiyuk is doing a long-term deal and getting years of production out of him. 

Then I can package my #1 with whatever I need to from this year’s remaining picks or next year’s picks to move up a few spots (if needed) for another WR. That gives me two studs for the next few years after I extend Aiyuk (structure it so the cap hit starts next year). 

Whatever picks I have left this year give me depth, and next year I still have capital to get an Edge or whatever else becomes our top need. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Yes, but we’re not paying any of our skill position players top end of market right now. Shakir, Kincaid and Cook are cost controlled for at least another 2 years.  Knox took a paycut.  Yes, it would be great if we could draft a stud WR who’s immediately a #1WR but the odds are well below 50% where we are drafting.  And I’m not wasting a year of prime Josh on those odds.  Give me the 80-90% sure thing in Aiyuk.  

solid reasoning here i could be talked into (compensation dependant). still want us to take a WR in draft, basically high (top 3 rds) every year we have Josh

CAN ANYONE ANSWER:  

IF SF IS ON ROOKIE CONTRACT W/ PURDY, WHY ARE THEY UNWILLING TO PAY HIM?  I KNOW THEY PAY DEEBO, BUT AGAIN ROOKIE QB CONTRACT

It's certainly the riskier option, but, I think we need to go young.  I draft McConkey at #28 and move up from #60 to the low to mid 40's and double up by drafting Legette/Coleman/Polk or Franklin - whomever they prefer and whomever is left.  From their meetings, it really seems the Bills like McConkey and Legette.  Franklin too but he's model skinny.

26 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

So the Bills can't restructure? Pretty sure they can. Allen also has a boatload of, of unused restructure if the Bills wanted to do this. I'm against kicking money down the road but with Allen I dont really care. 

They have a bit more room to kick Allen's deal I think. But they have pulled almost every other lever they had to pull.