Diggs traded to Texans for picks

I do not see the texans doing anything next season comparable to the last as it looked flukey to me. With Diggs there I could see a nice little blow up when things start going south there with him. On one hand I wish he stood and worked things out on the other he was a cancer that needed to be cut

Edited by JoshAllin

11 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Ever watch a QB constantly target a WR and nobody can stop it...kinda like Mahomes to Tyreek Hill or TE Travis Kelec? 

Buffalo needs a WR / TE that can get open and catch the ball no matter who is covering them like the two above. Diggs was good, but he wasn't that guy. Look at his stats in the playoffs the last few seasons and he does nothing in those games. Not worth 24 million a year to disappear in the playoffs.

From Jerry Jabber:

There’s a saying in the NFL, you’re only as good as your last game. Here’s Diggs’ stats in the last four playoff losses.

6 rec, 77 yards, 0 TD

3 rec, 7 yards, 0 TD

4 rec, 35 yards, 0 TD

3 rec, 21 yards, 0 TD

Beane has a plan! 

Wait hold on-Diggs has been quiet in the playoffs???? How has no one ever mentioned this before?!?!?!

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Not sure if it was posted already and not reading this entire thread to find out

The timing makes no sense for the Bills unless we’re accumulating trade capital.  On its own, we’re getting a 2025 2nd rounder and have to take the full Diggs cap hit this year.  Might as well wait to trade him after June 1st if you’re only getting a 2025 pick anyway.  

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I will say that the Texans on paper have quite an offense. I will also say they’re playing a dangerous game imo. 

They have a clearly ascending player in CJ Stroud going into his second year and looks like a future star. The dangerous game is they added two players who are known as malcontents in Diggs and Mixon surrounding him who can wear and take a toll on a young QB and team of things aren’t going their way. 

Neither Diggs nor Mixon has EVER been a "malcontent" in their first years with a given team. Let's not be sloppy and wrong with how to look at Mixon's deplorable off-field violence (makes him a doosh but hasn't impacted his ability to be a pro on a winning team) and Diggs' regrettable sideline and social media insider trading/signaling (didn't even exist in Buffalo in first two seasons--until 13 seconds and his first playoff disappearing act). 

Mixon was a major part of the offensive equation that allowed Burrow to ascend in Cincinnati, and Diggs was a MAJOR part of the offensive AND PERSONAL equation that allowed Allen to ascend in Buffalo. Both equations have changed over the years, and both teams have chosen to move on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Ever watch a QB constantly target a WR and nobody can stop it...kinda like Mahomes to Tyreek Hill or TE Travis Kelec? 

Buffalo needs a WR / TE that can get open and catch the ball no matter who is covering them like the two above. Diggs was good, but he wasn't that guy. Look at his stats in the playoffs the last few seasons and he does nothing in those games. Not worth 24 million a year to disappear in the playoffs.

From Jerry Jabber:

There’s a saying in the NFL, you’re only as good as your last game. Here’s Diggs’ stats in the last four playoff losses.

6 rec, 77 yards, 0 TD

3 rec, 7 yards, 0 TD

4 rec, 35 yards, 0 TD

3 rec, 21 yards, 0 TD

Beane has a plan! 

All true, but I feel it’s very necessary to say that Diggs’s catch of the two point conversion that put the Bills up 29-26 in the 13 seconds game was a) not recorded as a catch and b) an effing spectacular catch. Plus while it wasn’t with the Bills, he made the best postseason catch-and-run td reception in this millennium.

16 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Not sure if it was posted already and not reading this entire thread to find out

they wouldn’t have restructured him if they thought this was in the pipeline 

but ultimately, it’s just shifting money between 2023 and 2024 for c’est La vie 

36 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It was a 2025 2nd round.  The usual practice is a future year's pick is considered to be a round lower, to compensate

Fair point, and I’ve always thought this way. BUT the reason I’ve thought that way is that GMs and coaches are always close to being fired, and giving up a year in terms of a delay on a pick is from their perspective an increase in the chances they’ll be fired. The assumed discount in this sort of situation has always related to the decline in job security for decision makers/coaches. In the case of Beane and McDermott, though, I don’t think that’s remotely a possibility. They will be with the Bills in 2025. 

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Yup, if everyone just lowered their expectations, yes, yes it would.  

Dude, this line of argument is so tired. Give it a rest, seriously.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

From Jerry Jabber:

6 rec, 77 yards, 0 TD

3 rec, 7 yards, 0 TD

4 rec, 35 yards, 0 TD

3 rec, 21 yards, 0 TD

Beane has a plan! 

And Diggs is going to be 31 in November.. Realistically, how many good years does he have left?

9 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Anyone that grades a pick an 'A' where one team gives up a top 7 player at their position, $30M in cap space and two day 3 picks to receive a future 2nd round pick in compensation is delusional. For that to be an A, you'd have to be talking a first round pick or multiple early day 2 picks and a prospect with no other compensation going back the other way.

Lololol top 7…C’mon. He hasn’t been near the top 15 for a year plus, a point you’d likely agree with if Diggs was still a Bill right now, considering that you’ve happily gone full contrarian mode on all topics.

It’s like as soon as Airseven either got banned or jumped off a cliff, Bull over here saw an opening to finally become the heel that he always dreamed of becoming. 

Top 7 lololol

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The timing makes no sense for the Bills unless we’re accumulating trade capital.  On its own, we’re getting a 2025 2nd rounder and have to take the full Diggs cap hit this year.  Might as well wait to trade him after June 1st if you’re only getting a 2025 pick anyway.  

No such thing as post June 1st savings with a trade 

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It’s too bad we couldn’t get their higher 2nd this year.  I’d imagine the Vikings 2nd in 2025 could be sold to another team in a trade up as a likely top 40 pick though

Agree, but as Beane said in presser: "that's the best we could get"

Honestly, I don't see us moving up this year.  Deep class, we have holes/depth concerns at too many spots where we need young/cost controlled contracts.

I don't necessarily think we are throwing in the towel for 2024, but Beane is resetting the cap issue and likely won't go all in on anything right now.

2025, that's another story.  We will have alot of cap room, even after working on re-signing our own young talent. With an extra 2nd round pick, that's likely to be a very good pick.  I see us competing this year, getting some young guys more experience.  2025 is our best opportunity.  Get a couple young WRs, a DT or DE, and a S to groom out of this draft (in no particular order)

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

that of course risking that the market dries up 

and if we were making another free agent splash with this years dollars we could’ve converted more of joshs salary to offset this 

15 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

We all understand that Diggs' 2024 cap hit is only $3M more now than it would have been with him here, right? I fear when fans read "dead cap hit" they imagine some additional cap penalty for moving him. It's basically the same as him being here, but now the Bills will save mucho cap space in 2025 and beyond. 

I'm excited to see Joe Brady calling plays, and Josh Allen distributing the football, COMPLETELY FREE of selfish egos in the huddle and on the sideline. The Diggs+Allen political marriage had obviously fractured over the years. Time to let Josh lead the ticket in this election cycle. I like Kincaid as a potential WR1a, with Samuel as WR1b, and some weekly blend of a 1st rd rookie WR, Shakir, and Cook as WR3s, depending on the matchups and tendencies. 

KC has won b2b championships with Kelce as WR1 and a mix of WRs and RBs filling roles behind him. I like the Bills going for something similar but with a more consistent and dangerous and multiple run game to boot. Gotta have multiple solutions to every problem NFL defensive coordinators throw out you in a given season. 

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you basically saying the Ravens offense wasn’t good that year?  Yes or no the Ravens were 7th in the league scoring that year? 

What did I say?  

That's what I said.  

Could we see any other moves for picks?

Rasul Douglas? Dawson Knox? 

not saying I’d be in favor or against

maybe each of those players could get a 4th though?

Dare I say it… Milano? I wouldn’t want to move him, curious what value teams would put on him

Edited by Warriorspikes51

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Dare I say it… Milano? I wouldn’t want to move him, curious what value teams would put on him

I got to give it to ya, you do love a trade

• Haha (+1) 4

This trade makes the Texans better and the bills worse this year. 

addition by subtraction isn’t likely this year. 

hopefully this pays off 2-3 years from now for the bills. 

I can see beane trading up in the first round for something splashy. I’d rather they trade down and try to acquire even more 2025 draft capital.

This team is only going as far as Milano takes them this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

We all understand that Diggs' 2024 cap hit is only $3M more now than it would have been with him here, right? I fear when fans read "dead cap hit" they imagine some additional cap penalty for moving him. It's basically the same as him being here, but now the Bills will save mucho cap space in 2025 and beyond. 

I'm excited to see Joe Brady calling plays, and Josh Allen distributing the football, COMPLETELY FREE of selfish egos in the huddle and on the sideline. The Diggs+Allen political marriage had obviously fractured over the years. Time to let Josh lead the ticket in this election cycle. I like Kincaid as a potential WR1a, with Samuel as WR1b, and some weekly blend of a 1st rd rookie WR, Shakir, and Cook as WR3s, depending on the matchups and tendencies. 

KC has won b2b championships with Kelce as WR1 and a mix of WRs and RBs filling roles behind him. I like the Bills going for something similar but with a more consistent and dangerous and multiple run game to boot. Gotta have multiple solutions to every problem NFL defensive coordinators throw out you in a given season. 

Pretty sure if we traded Diggs after June 1st we could’ve split that $31m dead cap between 2024 and 2025.  

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Dude, this line of argument is so tired. Give it a rest, seriously.

Don't tell me, I'm not the one arguing it by implication.  But that definitely appears to be the tack taken by so many implicitly.  

I'm a bigger fan than that.  

What needs to be given a rest is this sentiment that we haven't underachieved come playoff time or that KC is invincible.  If the latter is the case, who cares who's coaching.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

I think a more moderate move up to Brian Thomas is realistic.

Id also be fine just grabbing AD Mitchell at ~28 and move around the 2nd and grab Franklin. 

this is where I am at.  modest move for Thomas, or Mitchell and some combo of Franklin, Legette, or Polk. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

No to all 3.  I know you like these hypothetical trades/acquisitions, but doesn't make sense with any of them.

Milano is the heart and soul of the defense, he's the most vital IMO to its success.

Douglas is basically on a cheap cap hit this season, and he's likely gone in FA next year.  Makes no sense to trade and eat a cap hit now, unless we're truly tanking in 2024.

Knox, we'd be accelerating a very high dead cap hit (not like Diggs where the difference is 3-4m, much much higher with Dawson). 

So no to all 3

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If we could trade Knox and his contract I would do it in a heart beat for draft picks

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I got to give it to ya, you do love a trade

well, Douglas has 1 year left and hasn’t been extended yet. I like him a lot. Impact player. Beane may view him as only here for a year though.

Knox, unless he used more could be a possible trade next off-season.

Milano is great. No doubt. But, 30 and multiple injuries. If Beane believes in Dorian Williams…who knows

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

this is where I am at.  modest move for Thomas, or Mitchell and some combo of Franklin, Legette, or Polk. 

Beane is not going to do anything modest...this is a precursor to a bigger move

2 seconds next year for us will offset the loss of next years #1

To get a Rookie WR under a cost controlled 5 years over Josh's Prime = a big move and not a half-arsed modest one

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

To get a Rookie WR under a cost controlled 5 years over Josh's Prime = a big move and not a half-arsed modest one

I won't mind a big move, bit draft wise I’m not sold that anyone other than Harrison is worth more of a move up than it takes for Thomas. I may need to watch some more Malki Nabers and Rome Odenzu highlights.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Dawson Knox has negative trade value

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I’ll be surprised if he stays at 28. I’d be fine with it, but I expect a move up.   If we give our 28, 2025 1st & 2nd….maybe we can snag Nabers or Odunze

Then trade up again from pick 60 for Legette

that is big. 

If not a huge move up, then I want Xavier Worthy & Xavier Legette

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, eme123 said:

This is what ive been saying. If im a possible trade partner with the bills….my price just went up. The bills no longer “want” a wide receiver. They “need” a wide reciever. 

It was apparent we “needed” a WR last season.  This move was anticipated if not expected by most other teams.  Doesn’t change our position other than we have a future pick which teams want 

50 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

As to the bolded, I'm pretty sure it's NOT true that Diggs' decline in production was the result of double-teams. Defenses definitely shaded his way with a safety at times, but what I recall neutralizing him the most was the physical, press-man attention he got from #1 corners.

Whereas he used to often win against aggressive, press-man coverage, he has had more difficulty doing so in the past two years (and the past two post-seasons against KC in particular). Then last year we also saw some misses when Diggs DID defeat his coverage. Some of those misfires were on Allen at times, no doubt, but down the stretch and in the playoffs we were watching a diminished Diggs drop balls and lose contested catch situations. Those misfires were season-altering.

Can anyone verify that defenses back in 2020-2022 used to actually put their #1 CBs on Davis and/or Brown/Sanders and then double Diggs with their #2 CB and a safety? I might remember that being a thing for a minute. 

Spagnuolo has been successful, especially in the playoffs, challenging his young corners to matchup physically and aggressively with our guys. Obviously Gabe Davis won that matchup a handful of times that one game (especially against his former UCF teammate, Mike Hughes). But otherwise, how many SBs has Spags' scheme pulled off? 

I didn't see this linked anywhere.  Greg Cosell on One Bills Live discussing the Diggs trade.  For those hiding under a rock and unfamiliar with Cosell, he has a long time history with NFL Films and is very well regarded as a film analyst.  He is not a clickbait seeker or a server of "hot takes"; others may differ but everything he says is based on what he sees on film, and what he says is usually worth listening to.  Nor is he a paid employee of the Bills like Brown and Tasker and Capaccio, what he says is what he sees - it may be tactful, he isn't coming on a Bills show and saying rude things, but he lets his opinion fly.

Brown: (discuss Bills cap situation, taking on extra cap)  What does it say to you?

Cosell: Well, Number 1, it tells you they were anxious to make the trade and get rid of Stefon Diggs.  I'm not in the building, I can't speak to the why.  Number 2, it tells you that there was not a big market FOR him, because this trade didn't just come about in 5 minutes.  I'm sure there have been numerous conversations over probably a meaningful amount of time and there was not a big market. 

Now, I hope fans are interested in tape reality vs. emotion, because the tape reality tells you that Stefon Diggs is not a #1 WR in the league.  He might have been on the Bills, but he's not a #1 receiver in the way we think about #1 receivers, the guys who really are.  So you're talking about a 30 year old declining player, who is not a #1.  That's essentially what the tape tells you that Stefon Diggs is.  

Now I'm sure there's a lot of raw emotion right now for Buffalo fans 'cuz it just happened, but that's the reality of the tape.

Brown: Let's dig into that a little bit more, Greg.  What do you see on tape, that shows you a, quote 'declining player' at least from being an alpha male #1 on the roster?

Cosell: I don't think he's a fully dimensional receiver at this point in his career.  He's not a true vertical dimension, now, that doesn't mean you can never catch a vertical ball, I want people to understand that.  There's a lot of guys in the league that you wouldn't call vertical receivers, who do catch "go" balls or posts.  But he's not a fully dimensional receiver, for want of a better term, he's much more of a possession-type receiver at this point in his career.  Now he's still very very good at that, that's his game, and I think that's ultimately what he is. 

You have to remember, he's not going to a team where he's going to be the #1 receiver.  He helps that team a lot, because they have Nico Collins who is a true boundary X #1 receiver, and on the Bills, Stefon Diggs, just by dint of elimination, was their #1.   But I think they're looking to get a true #1, now we'll see what happens in the draft.  And we'll see if they have something in mind with a trade...or whatever they feel, we won't know the answer certainly in the next 24 or 48 hours.  

But I think they just felt, he's 30 years old, he's declining, it's time to move on.  Let's move on from Diggs.

Tasker: One of the things we discussed as well, with a guy like Diggs, he's certainly not going to fall off a cliff.  His production** and his targets were there, even when he wasn't being as productive in the second half of last year as he was in the first half, But, this deal, like you said, there's a couple things about it.  One, it smacks of letting Diggs move on a year earlier rather than a year late.  And the financial stuff notwithstanding, the money's already been paid to Diggs that's on the cap, it's not like they're going to throw any more money to him.  And it would be hard for him to live up to the contract that he had already signed.

Cosell: He's probably, at this point in his career - I think he's going to be 31 during the season - I don't think he's going to get another big money deal at this point in his career.  Look, we know that Houston is a team that is going to have a good passing game, he's probably not going to get the same volume of targets that he got with the Bills, although that declined clearly as the season progressed [Beck sez: from 11 per game to 8 per game], so he's not going to put up the same kinds of numbers, and I don't think that the league would see him, clearly they don't, you saw what the trade was, the league clearly doesn't see him that way - he's not going to get another big-number deal.

Brown: So Greg, Let's look at the draft.....(5:25 if anyone wants to transcribe the rest.....

------------

**it's not clear to me what Tasker means by "his production and his targets were there, even when he wasn't being as productive...." if anyone can translate, please do.

This is not a novel opinion about Diggs Cosell has expressed.  Last year (I think) and earlier this season, he expressed the view that the Bills didn't have any elite talent at wide receiver, they had a single good WR.

The surprise to me was how straight out Cosell gave his interpretation of the trade, that the compensation represented a determination "let's get rid of Stefon Diggs."

So the elephant in the room here, that Cosell in his typical pattern will put out there but not explicitly say, is: since Stefon isn't a true #1 in his view but was the BILLS #1 by process of elimination (and since he was the Bills "single good WR" in earlier interviews), where exactly does that leave the Bills for receiving talent?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I bet Joe Schoen would trade a 4th for him, or he could be a piece in a move up to #6

The giants have $15mil a year tied up into Waller. They’re not giving anything for another overpaid TE with production like Knox 

38 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Lololol top 7…C’mon. He hasn’t been near the top 15 for a year plus, a point you’d likely agree with if Diggs was still a Bill right now, considering that you’ve happily gone full contrarian mode on all topics.

It’s like as soon as Airseven either got banned or jumped off a cliff, Bull over here saw an opening to finally become the heel that he always dreamed of becoming. 

Top 7 lololol

Factually, Diggs was #7 in receptions and #6 in targets this past season.  #10 in TD and 1D.  But in terms of Y/G, falls to #17 and Y/R falls to #67.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I didn't see this linked anywhere.  Greg Cosell on One Bills Live discussing the Diggs trade.  For those hiding under a rock and unfamiliar with Cosell, he has a long time history with NFL Films and is very well regarded as a film analyst.  He is not a clickbait seeker or a server of "hot takes"; others may differ but everything he says is based on what he sees on film, and what he says is usually worth listening to.  Nor is he a paid employee of the Bills like Brown and Tasker and Capaccio, what he says is what he sees - it may be tactful, he isn't coming on a Bills show and saying rude things, but he lets his opinion fly.

Brown: (discuss Bills cap situation, taking on extra cap)  What does it say to you?

Cosell: Well, Number 1, it tells you they were anxious to make the trade and get rid of Stefon Diggs.  I'm not in the building, I can't speak to the why.  Number 2, it tells you that there was not a big market FOR him, because this trade didn't just come about in 5 minutes.  I'm sure there have been numerous conversations over probably a meaningful amount of time and there was not a big market. 

Now, I hope fans are interested in tape reality vs. emotion, because the tape reality tells you that Stefon Diggs is not a #1 WR in the league.  He might have been on the Bills, but he's not a #1 receiver in the way we think about #1 receivers, the guys who really are.  So you're talking about a 30 year old declining player, who is not a #1.  That's essentially what the tape tells you that Stefon Diggs is.  

Now I'm sure there's a lot of raw emotion right now for Buffalo fans 'cuz it just happened, but that's the reality of the tape.

Brown: Let's dig into that a little bit more, Greg.  What do you see on tape, that shows you a, quote 'declining player' at least from being an alpha male #1 on the roster?

Cosell: I don't think he's a fully dimensional receiver at this point in his career.  He's not a true vertical dimension, now, that doesn't mean you can never catch a vertical ball, I want people to understand that.  There's a lot of guys in the league that you wouldn't call vertical receivers, who do catch "go" balls or posts.  But he's not a fully dimensional receiver, for want of a better term, he's much more of a possession-type receiver at this point in his career.  Now he's still very very good at that, that's his game, and I think that's ultimately what he is. 

You have to remember, he's not going to a team where he's going to be the #1 receiver.  He helps that team a lot, because they have Nico Collins who is a true boundary X #1 receiver, and on the Bills, Stefon Diggs, just by dint of elimination, was their #1.   But I think they're looking to get a true #1, now we'll see what happens in the draft.  And we'll see if they have something in mind with a trade...or whatever they feel, we won't know the answer certainly in the next 24 or 48 hours.  

But I think they just felt, he's 30 years old, he's declining, it's time to move on.  Let's move on from Diggs.

Tasker: One of the things we discussed as well, with a guy like Diggs, he's certainly not going to fall off a cliff.  His production** and his targets were there, even when he wasn't being as productive in the second half of last year as he was in the first half, But, this deal, like you said, there's a couple things about it.  One, it smacks of letting Diggs move on a year earlier rather than a year late.  And the financial stuff notwithstanding, the money's already been paid to Diggs that's on the cap, it's not like they're going to throw any more money to him.  And it would be hard for him to live up to the contract that he had already signed.

Cosell: He's probably, at this point in his career - I think he's going to be 31 during the season - I don't think he's going to get another big money deal at this point in his career.  Look, we know that Houston is a team that is going to have a good passing game, he's probably not going to get the same volume of targets that he got with the Bills, although that declined clearly as the season progressed [Beck sez: from 11 per game to 8 per game], so he's not going to put up the same kinds of numbers, and I don't think that the league would see him, clearly they don't, you saw what the trade was, the league clearly doesn't see him that way - he's not going to get another big-number deal.

Brown: So Greg, Let's look at the draft.....(5:25 if anyone wants to transcribe the rest.....

------------

**it's not clear to me what Tasker means by "his production and his targets were there, even when he wasn't being as productive...." if anyone can translate, please do.

This is not a novel opinion about Diggs Cosell has expressed.  Last year (I think) and earlier this season, he expressed the view that the Bills didn't have any elite talent at wide receiver, they had a single good WR.

The surprise to me was how straight out Cosell gave his interpretation of the trade, that the compensation represented a determination "let's get rid of Stefon Diggs."

So the elephant in the room here, that Cosell in his typical pattern will put out there but not explicitly say, is: since Stefon isn't a true #1 in his view but was the BILLS #1 by process of elimination (and since he was the Bills "single good WR" in earlier interviews), where exactly does that leave the Bills for receiving talent?

People have been saying for several years now how we lack at wr talent

and when I said it I included diggs, he's very good but does not have the elite tier tools cosell is talking about

• Agree 2

1 of the things i don't get with these trades is how do the Bills get left holding the bag for so much cash ? If you take the player you need to take his contract too !! 

Is the reason why the Bills get stuck with that much of a cap hit $31 million next year because they paid him bonuses in order to make more cap space and pushed it down the road ?  I don't get it .

• Like (+1) 1