Poyer talks about 13 seconds

25 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Still blows my mind the bills defense was defending the sidelines when kc had 3 timeouts left. Like Wtf? 

They were defending the big play. Hill had them terrified.

The final 3 plays of the 4th quarter. 1st is Hills 64 yard TD play and the next 2 were 13 seconds.

IMG_4129.webp

IMG_4130.webp

IMG_4131.webp

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Beast said:

It has been beat to death about the squib kick. There is a reason the ST coach was fired and Leslie didn’t come back. 

yep that was 1000% on the idiot ST coach who did not the get the squib call in.   McD was a class act to not throw him under the bus.  

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Obviously not, you’re here like the rest of us. 

….with a smile on my face. I’m not still stewing over something that took place in a football game years ago. 

19 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

I'll keep posting this:

1) A colossal failure on the part of the Coaches. 

2) See #1 

100% correct and it’s really not debatable. 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Just Jack said:

4) some Bills players and coaches were already celebrating on the sidelines like the game was over

I'm long over this.  Saw the game on NFL Network last night. Josh AND Mahomes were both magical! Anyone who bashes Josh because he didn't beat Mahomes would be like bashing Marino because he couldn't beat Kelly - they're both in the HOF!! (and Marino was better).

But to point #4 above - I would have been celebrating too - my defense isn't going to allow 40 yds on 1-2 plays to allow the Chiefs to tie! I would have mugged (held/tackled) Kelce & Hill on both plays (Def Holding - 10 total yds in penalties). It would have allowed the Chiefs a Hail Mary attempt at worst or a last ditch untimed down at best.

20 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I'm just gonna keep posting this anytime someone brings up that game....

Several factors contributed to the loss

1) 13 seconds

2) they had all three time outs left

3) they had Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill

4) some Bills players and coaches were already celebrating on the sidelines like the game was over

5) they only needed a FG to tie and go to OT. 

Regardless of who they had and the timeouts 

you cannot play soft like that and just give them layups 

Sean and Frazier blew an all time great performance by Josh Allen 

sad 

20 hours ago, T master said:

Blaming that loss on McD is the same as blaming the super bowl loss to the Giants on the kicker Norwood . 

Ummm Sean was a big reason we lost 

when is the HC accountable for anything if not that? 13 seconds and him and Frazier go into a complete soft shell 

they lost the game 

20 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

I'll keep posting this:

2) See #1 

How this gets downvoted is unbelievable 

if the coach cannot be held for responsibility for 13 seconds then what the hell can he be judged on 

just wild some of you refuse to put blame at the feet of Sean for Anything

he blew an iconic performance by Josh, absolutely blew it  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Nice subjective reading.  He said "we all made mistakes."  He included himself.  Not just McDermott.

There is no question the team wasn't prepared for the moment, and that of course is on McDermott.   However, he said "we all made mistakes, and the clear implication is that a lot of different people could have done things differently.  

The voice of reason; going to be a long six months!

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Everything falls at the feet of coaching. If “we all made mistakes” than coaching didn’t prepare them like they should have. 

That's nonsense. And very convenient nonsense for someone who wants to blame the coaches.

By that logic, no mistake could ever be blamed on the players.

By that logic, if the coach said "In situation A, take action B," and he said it many times, but the player still didn't do it, well, "everything falls at the feet of coaching." That's just nonsense.

• Vomit 1

20 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Poyer: " and you just see really how much more like connected [the Chiefs were] and they were just way better than us in that time."

Why were the Chiefs so much better than us in that time ?

The buck stops at McDermott.

He's the HEAD coach !

Maybe coaching yes, but did you ever consider he was also saying the players were all better?  But I get it, that wouldn't fit your narrative.

25 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If you can read Poyers quotes and not understand that he is gently pointing the blame at coaching, then you’re purposefully ignoring it.

Of course coaching wasn’t the only contributor. There were several. But coaching was the vast majority. 

That Poyer quote about the squib kick and allowing a screen for 30 yards is about as clear as a player can get without saying “yeah the coaches screwed up”.

This rule has never been called and never will be called. 

Teams do this all the time in crunch situations.

This rule is just an excuse people glammed onto once they realized we made a mistake by not holding.

Again, flat-out nonsense.

What he was saying is that several mistakes were made.

If you take that for him blaming the coaches, it just tells what you want to believe. You came in wanting to blame the coaches, so if nobody is blamed you figure it must be the way you see it.

Confirmation bias. Classic stuff.

The evidence we have isn't conclusive, but best guess on the kick is that it's on the STs coach, because he was let go. And Levi Wallace has said it was on him and his communication with Poyer on the second offensive play. Nobody's really made it clear about the Tyreek play. The coaches are certainly due for their share, though it's not clear they get all of it. 

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Maybe coaching yes, but did you ever consider he was also saying the players were all better?  But I get it, that wouldn't fit your narrative.

Yeah, this really is part of it. 

How come the Chiefs D couldn't even begin to shut Allen down the last four or five drives? He was simply playing too well, out of his mind.

Same with the Chiefs as well. 

Still, you'd think they could have gotten a kick squibbed. How come the kicking team clearly thought it was a squib and were shocked when it went in the end zone. 

But both offenses were simply playing offense as well as it could be played. If we'd won that coin flip, we'd have won that game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's nonsense. And very convenient nonsense for someone who wants to blame the coaches.

By that logic, no mistake could ever be blamed on the players.

By that logic, if the coach said "In situation A, take action B," and he said it many times, but the player still didn't do it, well, "everything falls at the feet of coaching." That's just nonsense.

In this case it was coaching.  Defending the sidelines and giving that cushion when all they needed and wanted was a FG attempt.  It was the wrong scheme to play given the situation.  Romo called it out, it made no sense.  They should have done a squib, they should have played the receivers at the LOS...the staff effed it up.  The fact Poyer says we all made mistakes really points to his character and being a team player, not wanting to throw people under the bus.  He  has relationships with these people.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Just Jack said:

1) 13 seconds

Ah, the rationalization power of a Bills fan knows no bounds.

It's a product of over a half century of failure.

21 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

I'll keep posting this:

2) See #1 

In other franchises, McDermott doesn't survive the 13 seconds.

Here, he's apparently hired for life.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

13 seconds was mainly a McDermott issue. From the squib decision to the defences called to the 2nd timeout. But we also know Levi screwed the second play up and played the wrong leverage. And Jordan knows that because he was madly gesturing at him before the play. He could see it was about to go wrong. 

Poyer and Hyde dropping into deep coverage (again....after just getting burned underneath by Hill) on the Kelce play defies understanding.  At least Poyer was able to make contact....after Kielce caught the ball and called timeout.  lol nice.  another credited tackle.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

If you can read Poyers quotes and not understand that he is gently pointing the blame at coaching, then you’re purposefully ignoring it.

Of course coaching wasn’t the only contributor. There were several. But coaching was the vast majority. 

That Poyer quote about the squib kick and allowing a screen for 30 yards is about as clear as a player can get without saying “yeah the coaches screwed up”.

This rule has never been called and never will be called. 

Teams do this all the time in crunch situations.

This rule is just an excuse people glammed onto once they realized we made a mistake by not holding.

Drama Queens!!!!

54 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

In this case it was coaching.  Defending the sidelines and giving that cushion when all they needed and wanted was a FG attempt.  It was the wrong scheme to play given the situation.  Romo called it out, it made no sense.  They should have done a squib, they should have played the receivers at the LOS...the staff effed it up.  The fact Poyer says we all made mistakes really points to his character and being a team player, not wanting to throw people under the bus.  He  has relationships with these people.  

And your evidence that the reason they were defending the sideline and giving that cushion was on the coaches? You're saying that it has to be the coaches and can't be the players because .... that's what feels right to you. 

In other words, more confirmation bias.

The fact is, Levi Wallace has said in public and carefully explained that they called the right play on that second pass, but that Poyer and he mis-communicated, Poyer playing deep and Wallace not looking at him, assuming that Poyer would play up, so that Wallace could play further to the side.

Look up the John Fina podcast with Levi Wallace.

It's not clear what happened the first play. But that doesn't mean you can blame the coaches. It means we don't know who is to blame. It certainly could be the coaches, But it also might be players mis-playing the play that was called.

And again, the kick appears to have been some kind of miscommunication. The rest of the STs players clearly expected a squib, while the kicker kicked deep. But who was responsible for that miscommunication? We don't know. Most likely it was the STs coach, as he was let go. But that's educated guesswork. So that's the way to bet, but there's no way to know.

24 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

The Mcd defenders in this thread are grabbing straws 🤣🤣🤣

Nah. That's both sides. Anyone who thinks they know for sure ... doesn't. Thinking you know for sure says more about a person't ability to understand the difference between knowing and having an opinion than it does about anything else.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, this really is part of it. 

How come the Chiefs D couldn't even begin to shut Allen down the last four or five drives? He was simply playing too well, out of his mind.

Same with the Chiefs as well. 

Still, you'd think they could have gotten a kick squibbed. How come the kicking team clearly thought it was a squib and were shocked when it went in the end zone. 

But both offenses were simply playing offense as well as it could be played. If we'd won that coin flip, we'd have won that game.

When I first saw the title of the thread I was hoping that Poyer was going to explain what happened on the kick, but not a word about that.  To me that is the bigger question mark in that whole situation.  As someone else in the thread pointed out the Pats scored a TD with 16 seconds left so really hard to say the played the wrong defense.  But a squib kick would have eaten into that time.

In the thread on the new kickoff rules I questioned with the new rules will squib kicks even be done anymore and probably not as technically the ball first touched the ground in what do they call it the dead zone??  As a result believe the receiving team would now have the ball at the 40 so doubtful they'd be done anymore??

Oh, for fork's sake...

Couldn't it be both?  McDermott (et al.) did not call the correct defense during 13 seconds, and the Chiefs were better prepared.  Besides, if we're giving credit to them and their coaching, we should also point out that the 49ers should've beat them in the Super Bowl but somehow managed to lose.  Maybe in the overall scheme of things (players, coaches, play calling, game time decisions), we're not at the Chiefs level.  I wish we were, but we're not and it sucks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

And your evidence that the reason they were defending the sideline and giving that cushion was on the coaches? You're saying that it has to be the coaches and can't be the players because .... that's what feels right to you. 

In other words, more confirmation bias.

The fact is, Levi Wallace has said in public and carefully explained that they called the right play on that second pass, but that Poyer and he mis-communicated, Poyer playing deep and Wallace not looking at him, assuming that Poyer would play up, so that Wallace could play further to the side.

Look up the John Fina podcast with Levi Wallace.

It's not clear what happened the first play. But that doesn't mean you can blame the coaches. It means we don't know who is to blame. It certainly could be the coaches, But it also might be players mis-playing the play that was called.

And again, the kick appears to have been some kind of miscommunication. The rest of the STs players clearly expected a squib, while the kicker kicked deep. But who was responsible for that miscommunication? We don't know. Most likely it was the STs coach, as he was let go. But that's educated guesswork. So that's the way to bet, but there's no way to know.

So you think Frazier called a defense and the players all collectively did something completely different?  In you logical mind that is the most plausible scenario?

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/29/2024 at 11:43 AM, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

While appearing on "The Danza Project," former Bills safety Jordan Poyer was asked about the drive in which the Chiefs tied the game.

"From getting the ball back without much time, without squibbing the ball, and then [we] give up a freaking screen that goes 30 yards down the field to Tyreek [Hill]," Poyer said. "We [were] just playing soft zone. And you look back and you look at the "NFL Films" and you just see really how much more like connected [the Chiefs were] and they were just way better than us in that time."

Poyer was asked about the soft zones, and it was pointed out that Leslie Frazier seemed to call a lot of those styles of defenses, but Poyer didn't point any fingers. 

"You can point fingers here and there and elsewhere," Poyer said. "It was just an entire operation. There's not really one finger that you can point at all because it was the entire end of our game operation that wasn't good enough."

Sounds like a McDermott issue

https://atozsports.com/buffalo/former-buffalo-bills-safety-jordan-poyer-13-seconds/

McDermott should have been fired the next day period end of story. Any other owner would have canned the coach. There is no excuse for a NFL coached team to have that much chaos and stupidity happening in succession in that situation. He has proven it was no fluke as it continues to happen every year. Get rid of this guy before its too late.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just my 2 cents - people make mistakes, what was intersesing was the lack knowlegde on the rules. I don't normally yell at my television but man, not knowing to have them defensivly hold and take the 5 running off 5 and icing the game? Concerning - I used to think McD coudl get it done but now I am not so sure, Might be a perfect storm this year IF the NFL is fixed and we get the calls, might be a chance, considering they have a new stadium with PSL's to sell... Remember it is a business first and game second - fingers crosssed. 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

The last two people who would publicly criticize McDermott are Poyer and Hyde. He might be an incompetent choke artist but the guy can coach DBs and he made these guys a lot of money. Reading between the lines though, Poyer not flatly absolving the coaching of responsibility and parroting canned lines like "it's on the players", "the coaches aren't on the field", etc. is all you really need to know.

This meltdown lays squarely on the guy who was running up and down the sidelines calling timeouts before each of the two plays before the tying field goal. The yellow streak running down his back is why the Bills didn't win that game. But the segment of fans who still have drought PTSD will never be able to see how limited he is because he was lucky enough to land a genetic freak at QB. Without Allen, this guy is coaching DBs in Carolina right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 3/29/2024 at 2:58 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The big issue was likely the deep kick. They would only have time for 2 plays not 3. But the Chiefs would’ve won on a Hail Mary touchdown pass anyways.

‘13 Seconds’ is totally on McDermott.

As I have posted before, the ONLY responsibility McD had was to impart what he wanted done on that ***** kickoff!

TO THE KICKER, FROM 3 INCHES AWAY, DURING THE TV TIME OUT, POST DAVIS TD!

The ONLY thing!

And why? Because TIME was the only critical factor and burning 4-5 seconds to allow for only 2 remaining plays was everything!

McD was lost in the moment of supposed victory.

It was a HO Fame Failure… one of the two worst ever in NFL history; the other being Pete Carroll not giving to the Beast!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

As I have posted before, the ONLY responsibility McD had was to impart what he wanted done on that ***** kickoff!

The ONLY thing!

And why? Because TIME was the only critical factor and burning 4-5 seconds to allow for only 2 remaining plays was everything!

It was a HO Fame Failure… one of the two worst ever in NFL history; the other being Pete Carroll not giving to the Beast!

They didn’t lose because they kicked it deep. They went 44 yards in 2 plays. If you include the play before 13 seconds the Chiefs gained 108 yards in 3 plays scoring 10 points in like 20 seconds.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

On 3/29/2024 at 2:44 PM, Just Jack said:

1) 13 seconds

There is only one factor. The Bills "F" ed up. Nothing else matters. Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, timeouts mean nothing. If there was 25 to 30 seconds, then that is different story. Just 13 seconds and they are starting at their 25. That loss is 100% on the Bills blowing it.

On 3/30/2024 at 12:37 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Poyer and Hyde dropping into deep coverage (again....after just getting burned underneath by Hill) on the Kelce play defies understanding.  At least Poyer was able to make contact....after Kielce caught the ball and called timeout.  lol nice.  another credited tackle.

KC called timeout the previous play (and we used our stupid defensive timeout to freaking boot) - like you had SOOO much time to just be like.  There are 8 seconds.  2 rushers - everyone else in man, and hold immediately off the LOS.  They will call holding and KC probably lose the time on the clock.  You can only usually do it once before they'll call the intentional hold foul.  After that itll be first and 10 and potentially as little as 0 on the clock for a hail mary at midfield.  

15 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

The ONLY thing!

I seldom come during the offseason, but the Poyer comments popped up on my phone so yep, like a glutton for punishment I had to read them.  He was very diplomatic to say the least, but acknowledged KC was better prepared (and then they blew it the following week).  

Anyhow 100% error after error and all falls on McD, who too used his timeouts and still didn't prpare for the palys.  Squibb (was shouting at my TV, with friends over watching), followed by inexcusable defense from a coach claiming they were trained and prepared for every secenario .

After the TD you grab the kicker and and pickoff team and tell them squib/or kick high and to the left/right side and remain in your lanes.

Defense you then tell to not let Kelce Hill off the line (even if you need to hold them).....

McD failed miserably.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1