Chiefs are just better than the Bills

1 hour ago, pigpen65 said:

Chiefs play mistake free in big games. The Bills don't. 

They did have the fumble after Mahomes hit on the bomb that got them down to around the 10. The INT Mahomes threw at the start of the 2nd half could have been a killer if the Niners offense takes advantage. Credit the Chiefs defense for coming up big in that spot. 

24 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

I agree with this. Mahomes is a better QB than Josh. Both can scramble and buy time. Both have cannons for arms.

But Mahomes is a more accurate passer even when he throws off balance.  He also seems to have a better view of the field. If there's an open man Mahomes will find him. Josh occasionally fails to see open receivers.

Some of this may be due to the fact that Mahomes had the benefit of top coaches at Texas Tech and KC while Josh's coaching at Wyoming was not at that level.

I write this as a Josh homer. I like him and am glad he's out QB.

Thoughts?

So if we had drafted Mahomes in 2017, would we have a title by now ? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Dude...good lord we NEVER make the extra play or 2 or 3. They have the best QB, HC, DC, TE in the entire NFL. Chris Jones disrupts everything.  We have Josh Allen.  That's it. Of course they're always going to be one or 2 plays ahead of us. You said it yourself, 13 sec was a collasal coaching blunder.  I wish to the heavens above we had Andy coaching up Josh. But we don't. 

LA that’s what I’m saying too. Andy Reid made the likes of AJ Feeley and Kevin Kolb look like serviceable NFL QBs. The guy is a master of the QB position get a guy like Patrick and you see what he does even in his Philly days he pretty much dominated the NFC with Donovan Mcnabb. 
Patrick would still be great wherever he played but give Andy Josh from the beginning does anyone believe Allen wouldn’t have at least one Lombardi now 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

I agree with this. Mahomes is a better QB than Josh. Both can scramble and buy time. Both have cannons for arms.

But Mahomes is a more accurate passer even when he throws off balance.  He also seems to have a better view of the field. If there's an open man Mahomes will find him. Josh occasionally fails to see open receivers.

Some of this may be due to the fact that Mahomes had the benefit of top coaches at Texas Tech and KC while Josh's coaching at Wyoming was not at that level.

I write this as a Josh homer. I like him and am glad he's out QB.

Thoughts?

Like when Rashee Rice was open in the middle of the field to win the game with a walk in TD?

Fact is, we focus more on Allen misses (should he have checked it down rather than throw to Shakir in the end zone?) because we lose these games.  

Mahomes was able to settle for the FG because he has a defense behind him that doesn't require him to have zero margin for error in the playoffs.  His defense got him the ball back down3 when SF could've ran the clock out.  Then Butker makes the FG.  Overtime.  KC holds to a FG again.  Mahomes gets the game winning TD on a gassed SF defense.  

We don't talk about his pick to start the second half after putting up 3 first half points.   

We don't talk about him missing Rashee Rice for the game winner in regulation. 

Because of his defense, we talk about how Mahomes is the GOAT today.  

Because of our defense, Allen is still searching for a Super Bowl appearance. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

i agree with the implication (which i read as we would not have a chip if all that changed was we got mahomes instead of allen).

i think mahomes is great, and an all timer.  i think allen is better.  the one game mahomes had on the big stage with poor protection (vs tb when his tackles got hurt) we saw him not make plays even though he had an all star roster of targets when he was running around.  we expect allen to run around every couple snaps and make the big play.

we are obviously not as good as the chiefs because we lost to them in the playoffs, but it's pretty simple: our D was like wet toilet paper.  SF has a much better d than we do (at least in the super bowl vs our last game this season) but the folded too eventually because they were predictable and gassed and kc just called simple plays to beat them over and over again.

to get over the hump we obv need a playmaker on O to emerge (davis is meh, but no davis is worse than having davis), and just find a way for the d to be like average in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

Yep it's not rocket science, I said before the playoffs even started it was fools gold to write off the Chiefs because they had the better coach, QB and defense.

And until at least one element of that equation changes, the Bills and everyone else will be playing second fiddle. All the meaningless regular season wins against the Chiefs aren't going to change that either.

Obviously at some point Mahomes is going to be without Kelce, Chris Jones, Reid, Spags, etc. but he'll just keep using that as motivation to kill a new narrative before it becomes one.

36 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

I don't know.

Football is a quintessential team sport, unlike baseball or basketball. The QBs success is heavily dependent on his OL and skill players and the D, scheme, coaching and execution by other players.

This is why Dan Marino, one of the purest passing QBs I ever saw. He had Mark Clayton and Mark Duper, two first class WRs to throw to.  He reached the Super Bowl in his second year only to lose to the 49ers. He never returned to the Super Bowl.  Think about that: Dan Marino has zero Super Bowl rings.

And Marino is only one example. Some others: Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts, Daryl Lamonica.

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I think we're better than them. We just don't play like it in the big moment in the playoffs. We can beat any team in the league when we don't beat ourselves 

A healthy Bills team wins walking away in that playoff game. The luck Kc had facing a depleted Dolphins and Bills team was ridiculous. Then win a SB because of a missed extra point. Terrible…

4 hours ago, mannc said:

Good grief…we got every single possible break this year against the Chiefs and lost at home.  We recovered three of our own fumbles, got the Hardman fumble through the EZ and got most every call by the officials…and still lost.  Give it a rest.

Really? playing with half your starters out on defense is a break? A punter with one leg is a break?  Not sure what referees you were watching there was no lopsided advantage for us from the officiating. 

6 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

A healthy Bills team wins walking away in that playoff game. The luck Kc had facing a depleted Dolphins and Bills team was ridiculous. Then win a SB because of a missed extra point. Terrible…

To their credit they did go to Baltimore and beat the Ravens who were the best team in the regular season this year. I don't know if the Bills would have done that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

To their credit they did go to Baltimore and beat the Ravens who were the best team in the regular season this year. I don't know if the Bills would have done that.

Matchups are always interesting. If we were healthy it would have been interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Meatloaf63 said:

Really? playing with half your starters out on defense is a break? A punter with one leg is a break?  Not sure what referees you were watching there was no lopsided advantage for us from the officiating. 

Good grief...the Bills could not possibly have gotten any more breaks in that game.  The Bills recovered three of their own fumbles, Hardman fumbles through the endzone just as Chiefs were going to go up by two scores.  There were a bunch of important calls that were reviewed and every single review went the Bills' way even though several were questionable.  The Chiefs averaged just under 8 yards per play; the Bills averaged less than five yards per play.  The Chiefs had injuries on defense, too...Brian Cook was out, Derek Njadi was out, I believe Willie Gay was out, and I believe another of their LBs was out, too.  As to the punter's injury, Martin punted one time and it was a pretty good kick...an absolute non-factor.  The Bills were lucky to be in that game at the end.  

We can debate this all we want but KC makes plays when they need to while Buffalo has squandered multiple playoff chances the past few years or they’d be exactly where KC is. From a talent level, both teams are pretty equal overall. However, IMO, it’s more about coaching and scheme. 

KC rarely makes bad coaching decisions and they play great situational football. I’m always amazed how Mahomes is throwing to wide open receivers compared to Josh. They also do a solid job of in game adjustments. This is where I want McDermott and Brady to raise the bar this offseason! 

• Agree 1

Just now, Blackbeard said:

Allen has beaten Mahomes 3 times.

Mahomes has beaten Allen 3 times.

I'm not sure the Chiefs are way way better.  

I am actually more afraid of what Cinn can be brewing up this year.  

The Bengals will have their hands full with the division. The entire North beats the crap out of one another as there are strong rivalries with all 4 teams.

Are the Chiefs better than the Bills?  Clearly yes.  It’s silly to argue otherwise. Three time SB champion; 3 -  0 v. Bills in playoffs, etc.

What grinds my gears are the several posters who talk about the huge chasm between the two teams.  One talked about how the Chiefs are a lock to dominate the next ten years (10 years!).  

Two arguments there, one looking backward and one forward.  Backward. The Bills have played 7 games against the Chiefs the last four years (5 in their building). Record 3 - 4, points 183 - 190; yards over the last five games are essentially a push (1996 - 2038). We win turnover battle 11 - 4.  I don’t see how anyone can argue there is some wide gulf between the two teams.  I’m firmly convinced that if we don’t suffer the defensive injuries in the Miami and Pittsburgh games (forget about White and Milano), we comfortably beat KC in this year’s divisional round.  

How about looking forward? Chiefs have cap room, we don’t.  But they may lose some combination of Jones, Sneed and Gay.  Either that or there goes their cap space.  Our offense comes back intact.  There isn’t a FA on D I’d shed a tear losing (other than Jones).  In fact, I think injecting a bunch of youth on the D  will be a huge positive.

No team has won three SB’s in a row.  Injuries, complacency or just bad luck catches up to the best teams.  I’m not going to be doom and gloom about our team. Not as long as Allen is healthy.

13 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The Bengals will have their hands full with the division. The entire North beats the crap out of one another as there are strong rivalries with all 4 teams.

Absolutely true. That is a brutal division and will be even tougher next year.  But the Bengals definitely have our number, which is a problem above and beyond KC.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

From a talent level, both teams are pretty equal overall.

Not even close to be honest.

Chris Jones

L'Jarius Sneed

Travis Kelce

Creed Humphrey

Joe Thuney

All of these players are considered to be among the very best at their positions. We have nobody in that discussion outside of Allen. Milano when he's healthy would be one. That still leaves us lagging behind quite a bit though.

Andy Reid and Steve Spagnuolo are also arguably the very best at their respective coaching positions. The Bills don't have a coach in that conversation either.

We are way off from them. Allen is the only reason we have a chance.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Old Coot said:

I don't know.

Football is a quintessential team sport, unlike baseball or basketball. The QBs success is heavily dependent on his OL and skill players and the D, scheme, coaching and execution by other players.

This is why Dan Marino, one of the purest passing QBs I ever saw. He had Mark Clayton and Mark Duper, two first class WRs to throw to.  He reached the Super Bowl in his second year only to lose to the 49ers. He never returned to the Super Bowl.  Think about that: Dan Marino has zero Super Bowl rings.

And Marino is only one example. Some others: Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts, Daryl Lamonica.

Exactly and why I think Mahomes as a Bill would also have zero rings. The Chiefs simply have a better coach, DC and marginally better players where it counts. Mahomes is a generational talent but so is Josh. 

I am heartened by the fact John Elway was on his way to zero SB rings until he hit 37 so I firmly believe Josh will get his.

Edited by Seventeen
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not even close to be honest.

Chris Jones

L'Jarius Sneed

Travis Kelce

Creed Humphrey

Joe Thuney

All of these players are considered to be among the very best at their positions. We have nobody in that discussion outside of Allen. Milano when he's healthy would be one. That still leaves us lagging behind quite a bit though.

Andy Reid and Steve Spagnuolo are also arguably the very best at their respective coaching positions. The Bills don't have a coach in that conversation either.

We are way off from them. Allen is the only reason we have a chance.

McDuffie too (although I think our nickel IS in the conversation for best at his position. But he is like top 5/6 and McDuffie is the best IMO). 

It is elite talent. That is where we lack. Even at our absolute peak we had 3 - Allen, White, Diggs. We replaced White (ACL) with Von (borderline elite at that point) but then he went down too. Then White plays his first elite game since his ACL and with the game all but over ruptures his achillies, then Milano, and then second half of this year Diggs was not at an elite level. 

We need some more elite talent. Ed Oliver is close. Let's hope Matt comes back at his best and they fix whatever the Stef issue was. That would give us a chance. Kincaid developing is the other option.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Good grief...the Bills could not possibly have gotten any more breaks in that game.  The Bills recovered three of their own fumbles, Hardman fumbles through the endzone just as Chiefs were going to go up by two scores.  There were a bunch of important calls that were reviewed and every single review went the Bills' way even though several were questionable.  The Chiefs averaged just under 8 yards per play; the Bills averaged less than five yards per play.  The Chiefs had injuries on defense, too...Brian Cook was out, Derek Njadi was out, I believe Willie Gay was out, and I believe another of their LBs was out, too.  As to the punter's injury, Martin punted one time and it was a pretty good kick...an absolute non-factor.  The Bills were lucky to be in that game at the end.  

You already said that but if the Bills are as healthy as the chiefs or if the chiefs are as injured as the Bills , the Bills win that game no argument, end of story you are wrong…

38 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

You already said that but if the Bills are as healthy as the chiefs or if the chiefs are as injured as the Bills , the Bills win that game no argument, end of story you are wrong…

Injury excuses have always carried a lot of weight in the NFL…well done!

Maybe there should be an “If Only No One Got Hurt Lombardi Trophy”…heck, they could award it before the playoffs even start!

Edited by mannc

37 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

If the Bengals had 3 out of 5 starting lineman out we would have got the job done in 2022!

Oh wait....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

LA that’s what I’m saying too. Andy Reid made the likes of AJ Feeley and Kevin Kolb look like serviceable NFL QBs. The guy is a master of the QB position get a guy like Patrick and you see what he does even in his Philly days he pretty much dominated the NFC with Donovan Mcnabb. 
Patrick would still be great wherever he played but give Andy Josh from the beginning does anyone believe Allen wouldn’t have at least one Lombardi now 

If Josh had Kelce he would have a couple!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

Allen has beaten Mahomes 3 times.

Mahomes has beaten Allen 3 times.

I'm not sure the Chiefs are way way better.  

Mahomes has beaten Allen 4 times. I’m sure the Chiefs are better given all the results of the last 5 years. 

During the Brady era….

Ben won 2.  

Flacco won.  

Eli won 2.  

Peyton won 2.  

Rodgers won.  

Nick Foles won.  

Russel Wilson won - should have twice.  

The Bengals and Tampa beat the Tyreek Hill version of the Chiefs.  

The loser talk all over the place today is really ridiculous.  This city’s mindset needs to change immediately.  

The only team that beats us is us and injuries.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

They’re better but that doesn’t mean we can’t turn our fortunes in the near future. The last game was winnable and we play them tough every year. The problem has been more defensive shortcomings than not being able to score enough. We missed important players ( Milano, a healthy Douglas and Miller)this year and will hopefully be difference makers next time. Remember the Colts went through the same frustrating thing with Brady until they found a way. With this core our time is coming.

27 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

During the Brady era….

Ben won 2.  

Flacco won.  

Eli won 2.  

Peyton won 2.  

Rodgers won.  

Nick Foles won.  

Russel Wilson won - should have twice.  

The Bengals and Tampa beat the Tyreek Hill version of the Chiefs.  

The loser talk all over the place today is really ridiculous.  This city’s mindset needs to change immediately.  

The only team that beats us is us and injuries.  

Why should the city’s mindset change? What have the Bills and Sabres done to make us think either will deliver a title? They might get to the very precipice of doing it, but they can’t close the deal. Explain to me why we should assume that things will ever change? Buffalo will never win a major sports title. Take that to the bank. 

And yes, I’m a Bills fan, but honestly it’s not by choice. If I could choose another team or just ignore football entirely, I would. Unfortunately I was born in Loserville, USA where we chant the name of our loser kicker who blew our only real chance at a championship.

Lets go Buffalo! It’s our Lombardi next year!  😂

Edited by Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

We do a BIG reload and come back for another go at the champs. It’s time to get younger. Teams like the Chiefs and Rams have shown it’s possible to get younger and maintain quality. Are McBean willing to trust younger players? Are they brave enough to move on from Miller, Diggs, Hyde and White so that three years from now we can have cap room again? Is it crazy to think Josh passed up Diggs on the crossing against KC because he dropped a sure touchdown shortly before? Point is, that kid is not worth 31 million. We aren’t going to nickel and dime our way out of this.  Slavish devotion the old thinking has not got us past the divisional round. We have Josh Allen , he makes every receiver a potential all pro. KC has been bold and they have three trophies. We traded the chance to have the best quarterback in football for the chance to have a cornerback. 

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

Chiefs Defense steps up in the Playoffs.  Bills Defense does not.

Chiefs supporting cast around Mahomes steps up in the Playoffs.  Bills supporting cast around Allen does not.

Not just KC's HC is better than the Bills HC, their DC is a better DC than our HC.  

It is what it is. 

And I would add there front office is better, hence all the winning there doing… 

4 hours ago, mannc said:

Injury excuses have always carried a lot of weight in the NFL…well done!

Maybe there should be an “If Only No One Got Hurt Lombardi Trophy”…heck, they could award it before the playoffs even start!

Not an excuse just part of the reason, if someone can’t see it made a difference they are nothing more than a 🤡. Injuries are part of the game, unfortunately you have to move on and play with what you have, no stat line reflects it, but if you don’t think they affect outcomes you are not too intelligent, in fact you have shown you are not. Nobody said the trophy should not go to the Chiefs, they survived the season as one of the healthiest teams Only a person with a complete lack of understanding team sports would think it plays no influence on the outcome. If you had a clue of what was happening on the field you would have noticed how KC’s offense came alive after the 49’rs lost their middle linebacker last night, but hey you are probably right, it didn’t affect the outcome one bit….

4 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

If the Bengals had 3 out of 5 starting lineman out we would have got the job done in 2022!

Oh wait....

Actually they would have had to have their back ups back ups in and actually 6 people out on offense to be a good comparison, but thanks for playing…

Edited by Meatloaf63

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Why should the city’s mindset change? What have the Bills and Sabres done to make us think either will deliver a title? They might get to the very precipice of doing it, but they can’t close the deal. Explain to me why we should assume that things will ever change? Buffalo will never win a major sports title. Take that to the bank. 

And yes, I’m a Bills fan, but honestly it’s not by choice. If I could choose another team or just ignore football entirely, I would. Unfortunately I was born in Loserville, USA where we chant the name of our loser kicker who blew our only real chance at a championship.

Lets go Buffalo! It’s our Lombardi next year!  😂

This post is almost incomprehensible to me.

It's a pre-2004 Red Sox fan post.   

"Buffalo will never win a major sports title.  Take that to the bank." What the heck is that?  If you want to speak something into existence, have at it.  I choose to believe will end up w/ a winning record in Super Bowls at 5-4.

11 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Not an excuse just part of the reason, if someone can’t see it made a difference they are nothing more than a 🤡. Injuries are part of the game, unfortunately you have to move on and play with what you have, no stat line reflects it, but if you don’t think they affect outcomes you are not too intelligent, in fact you have shown you are not. Nobody said the trophy should not go to the Chiefs, they survived the season as one of the healthiest teams Only a person with a complete lack of understanding team sports would think it plays no influence on the outcome. If you had a clue of what was happening on the field you would have noticed how KC’s offense came alive after the 49’rs lost their middle linebacker last night, but hey you are probably right, it didn’t affect the outcome one bit….

Actually they would have had to have their back ups back ups in and actually 6 people out on offense to be a good comparison, but thanks for playing…

So what happened in that Bengals game or the KC game the year before or the Colts game the year before? (we did win the Colts game but it was an NFL record first down and yards allowed in victory). This is the problem with your perspective. You apologists never came up with a valid reason for the past. Then you just moved onto the injury card this year. Which might be somewhat fitting but it does not describe what has occurred every year we went from a Top 5 defense to having teams run track on us.

Do you believe McD is a better defensive mind than Spags? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.