Get excited... change is NOW with a youth wave!!!

I'm gonna be honest... it took me some time to get over our season.

I'm good now.

Now I'm excited not just for next season, but our future.

First of all, Buffalo has the 2nd youngest OC/DC combo in the NFL. Players advocate for these guys who have plenty of juice, so let em shake us all season long!  :flirt:

Second, and most important, a lot of people are worried about our CAP while ignoring the 10 draft picks plus 9 future reserves we have in the waiting. Combine those with young stars already on the team like Bernard, Kincaid, Shakir, Brown, Benford & Rousseau and this team is about to get a lot younger as guys like Hyde, Poyer, Miller and Diggs exit in the next 2 or 3 years.

To me, the future looks bright. Our most important player is about to become the veteran presence as everyone else around him gets younger. And it's by necessity because of our CAP situation.

But don't be afraid of that... the Bills since McBeane have been in place have maintained one of the oldest rosters in the NFL. Always low to mid 20s, as far as ranking in the NFL... not as far as age.  That means we've always been one of the 10 oldest teams in the NFL. 

Now we inject youth. This offseason it's inevitably going to come in the WR corps & DL especially, but it'll shift across positions moving forward.

And we'll have a young OC & DC with a lot of juice to connect with them and a hypercompetitive QB with a handshake for everyone and Richard jokes to get them playing for him

This team is actually going through some drastic changes this offseason... it has me excited!!!

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 20
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Second, and most important, a lot of people are worried about our CAP while ignoring the 10 draft picks plus 9 future reserves we have in the waiting. 

I thought you wanted to  trade away our draft picks though to move up in the first and take a WR? 

• Haha (+1) 2

Hyde & Tre are likely gone this spring.  Von, Diggs, Knox and Poyer will probably only be around one more year then we wave goodbye.  We absolutely must emphasize offense (wrs) this April.  We've neglected Josh long enough. The core is solid with Josh, Cook and Kincaid/Shakir. But reliable supplemental wrs better than Gabe and an aging Diggs are necessary. The youth movement will start this year. As will Josh's 2nd window.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

I have said it multiple times but they are in a MUCH healthier roster place this offseason than last. 

Yes they will lose their safety axis finally. And they need to re-stock the Dline, but the have some rookie contract contributors. This time a year ago the 2022 draft looked like it might be a dud. Instead we have four starters from it and then the first two picks of 2023 look like hits. The Bills needed that. And they need to stack another class like that now.... while finding that elusive receiver at the same time ideally. 

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 6

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have said it multiple times but they are in a MUCH healthier roster place this offseason than last. 

Yes they will lose their safety axis finally. And they need to re-stock the Dline, but the have some rookie contract contributors. This time a year ago the 2022 draft looked like it might be a dud. Instead we have four starters from it and then the first two picks of 2023 look like hits. The Bills needed that. And they need to stack another class like that now.... while finding that elusive receiver at the same time ideally. 

ya the OL especially was a massive concern that changed immediately into a strength after 1 off season..

Also hopeful for guys like Shorter and Darien in 43 situations can be more added youth. I'm very optimistic for the future

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Hyde & Tre are likely gone this spring.  Von, Diggs, Knox and Poyer will probably only be around one more year then we wave goodbye.  We absolutely must emphasize offense (wrs) this April.  We've neglected Josh long enough. The core is solid with Josh, Cook and Kincaid/Shakir. But reliable supplemental wrs better than Gabe and an aging Diggs are necessary. The youth movement will start this year. As will Josh's 2nd window.  

I don’t think they’ve neglected Josh at all. They thought they had a premier WR2 and it never happened. The OL took time but has finally become a force. 

Yes they should’ve brought in competition for Davis, not sure if that’s what you mean by neglected. This is really the first offseason people are questioning Diggs. And it’s the first offseason they won’t have Gabe Davis. 

Im ready to move on completely with a young WR core lead by Kincaid next year. Not many are ready to just pull that bandaid off but I think we can rebuild this year, especially knowing it’s one of the best and deepest WR drafts in history. Rookie WRs are impacting offenses more than ever. You can definitely still miss but that’s a risk I’m willing to take this year.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 4

I would love to see this team really change some of there philosophy on team building and get young. We have to have an off-season where we cut the fat on the cap eat some of these bad contracts by not touching them whatsoever. It's time to take our cap medicine so to speak. 3 players I would not touch there deals are Von, Diggs & Knox the only thing I'm trying to do with these 3 are flat out paycut but if they don't except just keep them on the team for 1 more yr. 

Obviously were gonna have to restructure and extend some players to get under the cap. It's time to cut bait with Morse, Poyer, Hines, Harty, and Tre extend  Dawkins, Taron & Douglas. These moves will open up about 30 mil in cap space. 

Now the Youth movement begins use free agency to add 2 new Safeties. The safeties market in free agency is loaded this yr u have players like Stone, Chinn, Savage, McKinney, Gardner Johnson & Whitehead available get a pair here and move on. Now we have one of the best bk 7s in the league. The Dline were going to have to draft and use minimal free agent dollars on but if one of these big names shakes loose on the market like Hunter, Burns or someone else of that caliber I would try to sign them using future cap space in 25,26. 

Basically the plan is to get younger and use the cap space on defense but with that u have to use a couple of high picks on Wrs otherwise the rest of the draft can be BPA . This draft is loaded with talent across the board not a yr to trade up at all if anything u want to move bk and collect more picks. 

It would no doubt be fun watching a youth movement on this team. If I was Beane I would imploy a strategy this off-season to have at least 15 players make this team from the draft and undrafted free agents. So if that means putting a heavy emphasis on using high bonus money after the draft to get the better undrafted free agents that's fine because we can solidify the back end of our roster with cheap cost controlled players that are under contract for multiple yrs and employing this strategy would fix our cap situation for upcoming seasons. They'll be some definte bumps on the road to development of these players and they will make mistakes but the Bills would benefit greatly in the future by employing this strategy. 

• Like (+1) 4

58 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Are you willing to move on from some or all of

white

poyer

morse

knox?

if they did it would help the cap now and in the future. 

Tre - I'd be willing to part ways but I'd try and renegotiate first, give him some guaranteed money (he has none) in exchange for an actual pay cut; 

Poyer - I'd keep another year, small restructure to turn $3m of his $4.7m base salary into restructure bonus adding a void year in 25 saving us $1.5m in cap space and getting his hit down to c. $6m (I just think losing both of your two mainstay safeties in one year is best avoided and Poyer still had a good season and was an above average starting safety even his best days are behind him)

Morse - I'd be willing to part ways if needs be - again you could add a void year and spread the hit out if you wanted to but I think I'd hold onto him until I see whether I get a guy in the draft (either at guard or center, because McGovern can play center as well)

Knox - No. We didn't see the best of Dawson this year with the injuries. I still think for now we need an all rounder with his skillset while we focus on Dalton as a receiving weapon. 

The guy I am more willing than most to move on from and take my medicine this offseason is Von Miller. He saves me c.$7m against the cap as a post 1 June cut. Okay it is $17m additional dead cap on what they were originally planning for (the $15m dead money next year is already baked in) and that isn't ideal but I don't think he is any more than a backup at this point. So can I get a younger rotational player using that c.$7m? I think I can. 

And I'm not in a rush to bring any of our big ticket free agents back to be honest. I'd be interested in DaQuan if he is willing to take a 1 year deal and AJE if he ends up not finding his value on the market and circles back on a reasonable deal. But Gabe Davis, Micah Hyde, Leonard Floyd, Jordan Phillips, Tim Settle, Poona Ford... they can all go. 

Dane Jackson, Tyrel Dodson, Taylor Rapp and David Edwards at deals worth $1.7-2.5m I'd try to keep. If they get more than that on the market, good luck to them.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Tre - I'd be willing to part ways but I'd try and renegotiate first, give him some guaranteed money (he has none) in exchange for an actual pay cut; 

Poyer - I'd keep another year, small restructure to turn $3m of his $4.7m base salary into restructure bonus adding a void year in 25 saving us $1.5m in cap space and getting his hit down to c. $6m (I just think losing both of your two mainstay safeties in one year is best avoided and Poyer still had a good season and was an above average starting safety even his best days are behind him)

Morse - I'd be willing to part ways if needs be - again you could add a void year and spread the hit out if you wanted to but I think I'd hold onto him until I see whether I get a guy in the draft (either at guard or center, because McGovern can play center as well)

Knox - No. We didn't see the best of Dawson this year with the injuries. I still think for now we need an all rounder with his skillset while we focus on Dalton as a receiving weapon. 

The guy I am more willing than most to move on from and take my medicine this offseason is Von Miller. He saves me c.$7m against the cap as a post 1 June cut. Okay it is $17m additional dead cap on what they were originally planning for (the $15m dead money next year is already baked in) and that isn't ideal but I don't think he is any more than a backup at this point. So can I get a younger rotational player using that c.$7m? I think I can. 

And I'm not in a rush to bring any of our big ticket free agents back to be honest. I'd be interested in DaQuan if he is willing to take a 1 year deal and AJE if he ends up not finding his value on the market and circles back on a reasonable deal. But Gabe Davis, Micah Hyde, Leonard Floyd, Jordan Phillips, Tim Settle, Poona Ford... they can all go. 

Dane Jackson, Tyrel Dodson, Taylor Rapp and David Edwards at deals worth $1.7-2.5m I'd try to keep. If they get more than that on the market, good luck to them.

One thing to add with Von and dead cap is yes there’s a ton of dead cap but Leonard Floyd can be signed with the cap savings. So that’s what you have to think about.

Floyd was signed after June 1st last year. There will also be starting safeties available after June 1st this year.

Dont fear the dead cap. Dead cap is what it is. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think Tre is on this team come training camp. I know most fans don't want that by how many are first to boot him out the door but when training camp starts, he will be here

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Agree 5

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This team is actually going through some drastic changes this offseason

2024 will start with the same coaching staff 2023 ended with, with some title changes.  Bills will have the same QB.  In real life, this means the Bills will be having one of the least drastic offseasons of any NFL team.  We will cut some over the hill  veterans, and draft players.  So will every other NFL team. 

The good news is we are only about 50 weeks away from knowing if running things back will get us past the divisional round. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Ran over his mailbox on the way out of town. I think he’s done. 

I’m no cap expert to be sure but if what I’m reading here is true about Von then I’d cut him loose. He contributed literally nothing this past season. While it hurts to pay a guy not to play for you (I absolutely love how Brad Pitt tells an aging David Justice that in the movie Money Ball) , the ‘savings’ sound like they can be well used to buy way more than he’s going to contribute. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m no cap expert to be sure but if what I’m reading here is true about Von then I’d cut him loose. He contributed literally nothing this past season. While it hurts to pay a guy not to play for you (I absolutely love how Brad Pitt tells an aging David Justice that in the movie Money Ball) , the ‘savings’ sound like they can be well used to buy way more than he’s going to contribute. 

I think there is hope that Von bounces back a year removed from the injury 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

One thing to add with Von and dead cap is yes there’s a ton of dead cap but Leonard Floyd can be signed with the cap savings. So that’s what you have to think about.

I don't think this is right, there are no savings if you waive Von, it makes the cap worse for this year, if you do it post 6/1 it is neutral and has a big dead cap in 25 also.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Here are my thoughts:

Tre:  Waive him, a corner coming back from an Achilles at his age does not sound like something to continue investing in.  You can save 6M on the cap by waiving him when he is healthy.  I think the timing of when he gets cleared is important as there is a 1.5M roster bonus, that may cut into the 6M.    

Poyer:  I would rip off the bandaid at safety, save the 5.4M by waiving him and sign a younger guy and or draft his replacement.  That is X2 because of Hyde.  Get younger in the secondary.  

Morse:  Three option, pay cut, extend or waive.  I think he is an extension target, he is not that old for a center and his contract could save in 24 on an extension.   People are overly concerned about the concussions, for whatever reason Taron Johnson the same number of documented concussions is not a concern.  You have Bates under contract who can step in, you can save 8.4M by moving on.  I would prefer Morse over Bates so this would be only cap driven.

Knox:  I would take almost anything if something is willing to take this contract.  I don't hate the guy but he is the backup at this point, too much for a backup.  The drops will never stop.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm gonna be honest... it took me some time to get over our season.

I'm good now.

Now I'm excited not just for next season, but our future.

First of all, Buffalo has the 2nd youngest OC/DC combo in the NFL. Players advocate for these guys who have plenty of juice, so let em shake us all season long!  :flirt:

Second, and most important, a lot of people are worried about our CAP while ignoring the 10 draft picks plus 9 future reserves we have in the waiting. Combine those with young stars already on the team like Bernard, Kincaid, Shakir, Brown, Benford & Rousseau and this team is about to get a lot younger as guys like Hyde, Poyer, Miller and Diggs exit in the next 2 or 3 years.

To me, the future looks bright. Our most important player is about to become the veteran presence as everyone else around him gets younger. And it's by necessity because of our CAP situation.

But don't be afraid of that... the Bills since McBeane have been in place have maintained one of the oldest rosters in the NFL. Always low to mid 20s. 

Now we inject youth. This offseason it's inevitably going to come in the WR corps & DL especially, but it'll shift across positions moving forward.

And we'll have a young OC & DC with a lot of juice to connect with them and a hypercompetitive QB with a handshake for everyone and Richard jokes to get them playing for him

This team is actually going through some drastic changes this offseason... it has me excited!!!

True & i agree that this will do a lot going forward fr the Bills to see who they have in their immediate future !

You can bet if they come out and don't do good right out of the shoot Bills Mafia will crucify McD & Beane even if they do make it to the play offs with all the rookies they just don't care unless they make it to the SB no excuses ... 

Edited by T master

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

I think there is hope that Von bounces back a year removed from the injury 

That’s usually how it works if it’s going to for most players with ACL injuries, 

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Kudos for injecting the enthusiasm here. I admit I am still not feeling too great after losing yet again to the Chiefs in the playoffs.

But good to read your post and I hope this offseason brings the changes needed for us to finally get over the hump

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Of that list, I would like to bring Floyd back especially if we make the tough (and correct) decision to let Miller go. 

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I don't think this is right, there are no savings if you waive Von, it makes the cap worse for this year, if you do it post 6/1 it is neutral and has a big dead cap in 25 also.

Not true. Designated as a post June 1 cut Von saves $6.7m on this year's cap. The cap hit in 2025 is $15m whether you cut him as a post 1 June or after the 2024 season. So that money has been factored in any way. The only thing they lose is the ability to spread that $15m over two years - 2025 and 2026 by cutting him a year earlier than they originally planned. 

Of course it means you have $17m of dead cap this year that they were not planning for. But it does not make the cap worse. That money is there whether Von plays or not. The only question that it raises is:

Do you want Von Miller at $23.7m or Player X at $6.7m on the roster in 2024? 

And for me I think Von's toast. Give me player X. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not true. Designated as a post June 1 cut Von saves $6.7m on this year's cap. The cap hit in 2025 is $15m whether you cut him as a post 1 June or after the 2024 season. So that money has been factored in any way. The only thing they lose is the ability to spread that $15m over two years - 2025 and 2026 by cutting him a year earlier than they originally planned. 

Of course it means you have $17m of dead cap this year that they were not planning for. But it does not make the cap worse. That money is there whether Von plays or not. The only question that it raises is:

You are right, I was looking at the wrong column for this years hit.   Said differently making him a post june 1 you take you are spreading out this years dead cap (32.5M) over 2 years.    I guess it comes down to if you think he can return to form, if he does you should keep him.  You dont think so, I am not so sure, he was starting to show something but I understand your postion

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I believe you are correct. The more one gives the Von question thought, the more it appears he needs to be part of Bills history…

im under the impression that diggs and knox have unworkable contracts, and von has a nearly unworkable one (at least for the upcoming season).

i'd expect to get rid of tre, hope von improves, ride diggs and knox due to contract (knox is likely gonezo as soon as a window opens tho).

i think it is 50/50 on morse, he's a good player but old and expensive and if bates is nearly as good it's not a stretch to just ride w "the master" lol.

poyer im thinking the keep on a small contract just because mcd is allergic to a young D (pause, lol, funny post this is!).

reflecting on the first post in this thread -- we have a really old team and the O isn't that old at all (morse, dawkins, 28 who's leaving, diggs is like just 30), so as we all know, the d is geriatric.  imo this is a big part of why our d breaks down horribly at the end of every flipping year in the playoffs.

re staffing the d w some cheaper younger guys should leave us absolutely no worse off come the divisional round, and maybe better.

5 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Now the Youth movement begins use free agency to add 2 new Safeties. The safeties market in free agency is loaded this yr u have players like Stone, Chinn, Savage, McKinney, Gardner Johnson & Whitehead available get a pair here and move on.

Don't forget Dugger from the Patriots. He'd be expensive, and he's a strong safety, which they have in Poyer, but he's a terrific player. From what I remember, McDermott wanted to draft him. 

4 minutes ago, finn said:

Don't forget Dugger from the Patriots. He'd be expensive, and he's a strong safety, which they have in Poyer, but he's a terrific player. From what I remember, McDermott wanted to draft him. 

I would love Duggar or Winfield Jr but in think they are too pricey for us. That's why I didn't add them to the list.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

i can't his "agree x 100" so i had to reply.

for $6.7mm you can get a Floyd type player on a prove it deal, though he was technically ($7mm). Or multiple players like Rapp, Lawson, Harris, Sherfield = $6.5mm

All of them contributed more than Miller

10 minutes ago, finn said:

I am going to do some fishing come closer to draft time. A friend of mine started at DB with him at LR.

miller had his best game vs kc, and we have only like 4 dl on contract next season.  as much as i think we might want to move on, i think there is a chance he comes back to form next season and the front office won't give up on him.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Player X is definitely the option to choose. Now the question is should it be DQ (my choice) or Floyd?  It may require more than that 7M to entice one of them.  I just don't see Von ever returning to his form of early 2022.

Bernard

Benford

Shakir

Torrence

Kincaid

Oliver

Groot (sometimes) 

Cook

Allen (of course) 

Lots of young guys making plays all over the roster. Von Miller contract is killing us, because we could be in a spot to give a 100M contract to a free agent WR to go with Diggs, Kincaid, Cook, and Shakir to really put this team over the top. 

This year we wended the season without our stud LB, his backup, or even his backup's backup.

Next year we'll have Milano AND Bernard on the field at the same time, with Bernard proving he is more than capable after being pressed into action. 

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t think they’ve neglected Josh at all. They thought they had a premier WR2 and it never happened. The OL took time but has finally become a force. 

Yes they should’ve brought in competition for Davis, not sure if that’s what you mean by neglected. This is really the first offseason people are questioning Diggs. And it’s the first offseason they won’t have Gabe Davis. 

Im ready to move on completely with a young WR core lead by Kincaid next year. Not many are ready to just pull that bandaid off but I think we can rebuild this year, especially knowing it’s one of the best and deepest WR drafts in history. Rookie WRs are impacting offenses more than ever. You can definitely still miss but that’s a risk I’m willing to take this year.

There were plenty of us who questioned Davis last off-season, but the rose colored glasses crew wouldn’t hear it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Player X is definitely the option to choose. Now the question is should it be DQ (my choice) or Floyd?  It may require more than that 7M to entice one of them.  I just don't see Von ever returning to his form of early 2022.

I think you can do it for that $6.7m in space - you might need to put a bit of void money into next year. But that would be enough 2024 cap space.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They all outplayed their contracts this year.  I think the only one that might be back at that range is Jackson…who I would take back for sure ..

I can see Dodson getting $5m a year from someone to be a starter 

Rapp and Edward’s gave them their prove it deals last year … they can start in this league …

I think Poyer is back because we can't replace both safeties with rookies (unless we also grab a FA), but I see our WR1, WR2 potentially both being rookies (even if Diggs returns, has he lost a step or not?  If not, then he is still WR1 but we still have 2 new ones that contribute as WR2 and WR 3-4); new DT, new backup C or G, or OT, new RB (Cook backup, perhaps "big" guy). 

Will be exciting to see this, it really is "window 2" for Josh.  Hopefully this one has trophies in it.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

They all outplayed their contracts this year.  I think the only one that might be back at that range is Jackson…who I would take back for sure ..

I can see Dodson getting $5m a year from someone to be a starter 

Rapp and Edward’s gave them their prove it deals last year … they can start in this league …

Why do you presume a year of Edwards and Rapp not starting will convince people to pay them to start? Especially on Edwards. His ability to remain healthy was the question mark. Has playing a few snaps as a 6th OL convinced people his body can hold up to the rigours of a full NFL season? 

I think you are right on Dodson. Is supect he will be gone. Someone will look at the 10 or so games of film this year and some snippets from last year and decide he is worth a punt.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Are you willing to move on from some or all of

white

poyer

morse

knox?

if they did it would help the cap now and in the future. 

White yes definitely unless he is willing to take pay cut and move to safety. 

Poyer maybe. I would bring him back for one more year. 

Morse yes but prefer to keep one more year.. one less hole to address. If Morse stays then I might try to trade Bates I'd it saves some capn

Knox no. He is still a very good player. I think a better than Dorsey OC will get more out of him

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Bernard

Benford

Shakir

Torrence

Kincaid

Oliver

Groot (sometimes) 

Cook

Allen (of course) 

Lots of young guys making plays all over the roster. Von Miller contract is killing us, because we could be in a spot to give a 100M contract to a free agent WR to go with Diggs, Kincaid, Cook, and Shakir to really put this team over the top. 

This year we wended the season without our stud LB, his backup, or even his backup's backup.

Next year we'll have Milano AND Bernard on the field at the same time, with Bernard proving he is more than capable after being pressed into action. 

And if Miller comes back healthy along with Jones then you have a very good starting 4. Just need to draft a couple young DL to replace Miller the following year and to let Rousseau walk. Rousseau nowhere near good enough for a second contract. I'd pick up his 5th year option, control the situation,  then let him walk. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.