Should the Bills trade up for their own “Julio Jones”

DJB

Trade up?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Trade up?

In the 2012 draft Atlanta traded up to get Julio Jones. Here is the breakdown of the deal;

#6: Cleveland → Atlanta. (D) Cleveland traded this pick to Atlanta for Atlanta's first (27th overall, which later became #26), second (59th) and fourth-rounder (124th) and also Atlanta's first- and fourth-round selections in 2012.

Bills are in win now mode. We need an elite WR to put us over the top. Enter one of Malik Nabers (who I prefer) or Odunze. 

Is the time right now to do this with Josh and our window ?

Or should I put down the pipe and stick to trashing Tua? 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My hope is that one of the free agent wide receivers signs a cheap prove-it deal with the Bills to get their stock up by catching passes from Josh Allen. Marquise Brown and Darnell Mooney are coming off down years with erratic Quarterback play and could add some much-needed speed to the group.

I would also take the best wide receiver available at #28 or maybe even trade down if we can get some mid-round picks.  This is a deep draft for wide receivers so there's no sense wasting draft capital when we also need to restock at DT, OT, and Safety.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2

No way. This draft is super deep at WR. Remember when we moved up for Sammy Watkins in 2014? OBJ, Mike Evans, and Brandin Cooks were all on the board in the 1st. In the 2nd & 3rd Davante Adams, Jarvis Landry, and John Brown were all available as well. It would be insanely stupid to waste valuable draft capital in a WR class like this. Beane just needs to be smart and find the right ones. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Well, Beane does love a trade up, and I’m okay with that provided that it’s for a “sure thing”’ @ WR. Otherwise bring in a bunch of draft picks and let them fight it out for the various positions, and early season trades, or whatever’s 😁👍🍸🚬

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

No way. This draft is super deep at WR. Remember when we moved up for Sammy Watkins in 2014? OBJ, Mike Evans, and Brandin Cooks were all on the board in the 1st. In the 2nd & 3rd Davante Adams, Jarvis Landry, and John Brown were all available as well. It would be insanely stupid to waste valuable draft capital in a WR class like this. Beane just needs to be smart and find the right ones. 

When has he done that in his tenure as Bills GM?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

8 minutes ago, boyst said:

If we trade up it'll be MHJ. He's the best prospect in 20 years. 

I agree with that, but we would probably have to go to pick 2 or 3 to get him, and we can't afford to give up the picks it would take to get there.  We will just have to settle for Jerry Rice's kid instead.  

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Bills are in win now mode. 

No.  Some fans are in win now mode, but the Bills aren't.   The Bills are just building, always building.  

They have one of the best QBs in the history of the game.  They have to win, but they don't have win now, except to satisfy the fans. 

There is no window that is closing. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I really shouldn’t have answered, because there is not enough info. What is the cost? Sure, I’d love Marvin Harrison Jr if we only have to kick in a 6th rounder, but that will never happen.  I said no way because I have to assume the cost would be enormous, and we have holes to fill with cheaper, younger guys. We need WR and defense. 

I think a lot will depend on how many premium prospects at the WR position are still on the board after say the 20th spot. Or if there is a guy they have targeted and really like they may move up especially if they fear a team ahead of them taking the guy or being leapfrogged by a team with a big WR need picking after them but capable of moving up, even aggressively (KC).

53 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Well, Beane does love a trade up, and I’m okay with that provided that it’s for a “sure thing”’ @ WR. Otherwise bring in a bunch of draft picks and let them fight it out for the various positions, and early season trades, or whatever’s 😁👍🍸🚬

Too bad that even the “he’s as sure as a sure thing ever was” didn’t even turn out “sure” in the end. No such thing. The draft is a crapshoot, if the Bills burn capital moving up and miss on the pick, the franchise will be set behind KC even more. If they hit on the pick, great, but now other areas that could’ve had young, cost controlled talent will suffer. Best approach has always been to accumulate picks in the “money” rounds, we just don’t do it often enough.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm a fan of Gabe, but he's probably gone.  Shakir is decent WR3 material.  But...so what?

What does Davis probably being gone have to do with anything?  If you're a fan you must think he's good.  Shakir is as well.  Both were day 3 picks and since Beane has been GM the Bills haven't drafted a WR prior to the 4th round.

Just now, Doc said:

What does Davis probably being gone have to do with anything?  If you're a fan you must think he's good.  Shakir is as well.  Both were day 3 picks and since Beane has been GM the Bills haven't drafted a WR prior to the 4th round.

You’ve reiterated my point

1 minute ago, Brand J said:

Too bad that even the “he’s as sure as a sure thing ever was” didn’t even turn out “sure” in the end. No such thing. The draft is a crapshoot, if the Bills burn capital moving up and miss on the pick, the franchise will be set behind KC even more. If they hit on the pick, great, but now other areas that could’ve had young, cost controlled talent will suffer. Best approach has always been to accumulate picks in the “money” rounds, we just don’t do it often enough.  

Yes, various scenarios could very well  play out, but there are absolutely no guarantees that any teams picks will pan out as anticipated wether they trade up or stand pat…, 

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Okay, okay already! I’ll do it. It won’t be pretty but I guess if we’re in a pinch. 

The NFL would probably put that on PPV, and that I would gladly pay to see! 

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You’ve reiterated my point

Because he hasn’t drafted one early does not mean he cannot evaluate them. Those are two different things. 

Belichick is the guy who can’t evaluate WR’s. He’s proven it. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

he's shown no aptitude for evaluating WR talent.

Davis and Shakir overperformed from where they were drafted.  He just hasn't taken enough swings the first two days.  It's pry a combination of the capital given up for the Diggs trade, getting Josh veteran WR free agents early on to help him develop (Beasley, Brown), the draft board just not falling right the last few years, and prioritizing getting younger at other positions (D-line, TE, LB, CB).  Striking out on Elam (most likely) and Basham are on him though when he could've invested at WR.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Davis and Shakir overperformed from where they were drafted.  He just hasn't taken enough swings the first two days.  It's pry a combination of the capital given up for the Diggs trade, getting Josh veteran WR free agents early on to help him develop (Beasley, Brown), the draft board just not falling right the last few years, and prioritizing getting younger at other positions (D-line, TE, LB, CB).  Striking out on Elam (most likely) and Basham are on him though when he could've invested at WR.

I think the lack of Day 1 or 2 WRs under Beane is because Diggs has been the undisputed #1 on the team since he arrived and/so they weren't going to spend a high pick on a WR.  Since it appears he may be slipping, that will likely change their draft strategy, unless they can get a #1 WR in FA (unlikely).

• Like (+1) 1

Figure out who they believe can be a legit #1 , if it’s 3 or 4 or however many then go into draft night with a plan to get one of them for the least amount of compensation.

Hopefully that’s trading up only 5 or 6 spots, but if you need to get higher then be prepared to get it done.

If you want Allen to play in Buffalo beyond his current contract you better be setting 17 up for success. They made this move with the Diggs trade and it proved the right move and it’s time to make the WR move again.

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

You are just as likely to get Sammy Watkins

This sounds crazy, but if you got Watkins rookie year production with Allen at QB, along with Kincaid, Shakir, and Cook, we have a Super Bowl team. I’m not trying to offer a revisionist account of his career, rather putting aside fears of a first round bust receiver with Allen at QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.