Is Mahomes at Brady Levels?

Mikie2times

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

But he's really not the "best player in the league by miles."  That's the issue.

The only obvious separation between Mahomes/Allen is in postseason success.  The Bills win in the regular season.  The Chiefs win in the playoffs and end up in the Super Bowl. 

Don’t you think that’s a BIG difference regardless of similarity in regular season stats? Playoffs is where it’s at and Mahomes separates himself from everyone else including Allen. Great players rises in the biggest moments. This is something Allen needs to work on imo. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

I'm not going to even read this thread, but you're talking about a QB who hasn't failed to reach the conference championship game in ANY of his seasons as a starting QB.

What exactly are people supposed to say about him?

That he’s carried by Reid and Kelce. 

On 2/1/2024 at 7:07 PM, Mikie2times said:

If you started watching football in the 90's or earlier you got to witness the entirety of Brady with some decent context to boot. It felt like Brady was inevitable . If he had the ball late it wasn't if he would score but when. Leads didn't matter. He practically erased other HOF level QB's of that generation. Sure Ben, Peyton, and Drew eventually got one, which is good lesson for us because it really felt unlikely for a period of time. I think most of us feel like that level of domination just isn't possible again.  Like what we saw was a once in lifetime thing. Bruce Smiths sack record, Barry Sanders doing Barry things. You just don't think you will see some things again because until that point all those years taught you they shouldn't happen in the first place. 

So when we see a guy like Mahomes have this type of success we sort of think, ok, ya, he's good but do it again. Then the next year you say the same thing. Then the next and the next and eventually you forget that you have been saying do it again for half a decade. Maybe what we are seeing is in fact another version of what all of us hoped we would never see again. Which as history has taught us, does not mean we will not get one or perhaps more, but it does mean it will be a very difficult path. 

Brady played in an era where stats were just not as easy to pile up as Mahomes so when you look at the data keep that in context. 

After 6 years in the league......

Mahomes = 4 AFC Championships, 2 Super Bowls, 1 pending 

Brady = 3 AFC championships, 3 Super Bowls

The stats after 6 seasons aren't really close. I included Allen's most recent 5 years and extrapolated it into 6 years for comparisons sake.  

image.thumb.png.cc7d78399592046ad873aa6aa1415cc0.png

We sit here every offseason trying to solve why we didn't get to the Super Bowl like it's a physics question. Nobody would think that way during the Brady era. You knew out of the gate you weren't the favorite. You never were going to be the favorite and it would take something special to overcome it. We don't think that way because we keep saying ya, sure, do it again. Over and over it goes.

I see no evidence that he's a cheater, so my answer would be no.

On 2/1/2024 at 10:08 PM, KDIGGZ said:

No...so far he's better 

lol I know this board is bias for obvious reasons, but come on. Mahomes is great, but he’s going to need at least another decade of stellar play plus a few more titles to be in the Brady category. Brady also beat Mahomes head up in the AFC championship and Super Bowl. If he were to retire today he would be closer to the Brett Favre tier. I think he is well on his way to the GOAT conversation, but still lacks the longevity and the rings. The AFCW is not going to be a cakewalk anymore either w/ Harbaugh there now. The conference as a whole is absolutely loaded now w/ good QBs too. I don’t think Chiefs are going to be a dynasty like everyone thinks. I am really interested to see how their offense looks without Travis Kelce. 

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

lol I know this board is bias for obvious reasons, but come on. Mahomes is great, but he’s going to need at least another decade of stellar play plus a few more titles to be in the Brady category. Brady also beat Mahomes head up in the AFC championship and Super Bowl. If he were to retire today he would be closer to the Brett Favre tier. I think he is well on his way to the GOAT conversation, but still lacks the longevity and the rings. The AFCW is not going to be a cakewalk anymore either w/ Harbaugh there now. The conference as a whole is absolutely loaded now w/ good QBs too. I don’t think Chiefs are going to be a dynasty like everyone thinks. I am really interested to see how their offense looks without Travis Kelce. 

That's why it says "so far"

Anyone check the Pats boards on this topic?  Mahomes needs 8 Super Bowls to surpass Brady, per them.  

That's really not how it works.  Bill Russell isn't the GOAT in basketball.

And there is some idea that it's meaningful that Brady beat Mahomes in their head-to-head match-ups.  As though it's tennis.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:10 PM, SoonerBillsFan said:

According to those stats, so is Allen.  But the BILLS haven't been as good as the Pats or Chiefs.

Well, obviously wins and Super Bowls aren't just a QB stat...

On 2/8/2024 at 3:06 PM, 90sBills said:

Don’t you think that’s a BIG difference regardless of similarity in regular season stats? Playoffs is where it’s at and Mahomes separates himself from everyone else including Allen. Great players rises in the biggest moments. This is something Allen needs to work on imo. 

Allen has risen to the moment just fine. He has amazing playoff performances, including the losses. 

It's a team sport.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/2/2024 at 12:48 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That year was the turning point in Brady's career as I recall. Up until that point he had the rings but never had dominant statistics. Up until that year, I always thought Peyton was the better QB but he just wasn't on the better team.

I often say Mahomes is Manning and Brady rolled into one so far in his early career. He has the stats and the rings. 

Tiger Woods was "far better than"  Jack Nicklaus until he ended up falling well short of Nicklaus' career majors wins record. Mahomes may be on a hypothetical track to a better career. But it is way too pre-mature to say his career equals Brady's. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/8/2024 at 5:06 PM, 90sBills said:

Can you specify how he should work on that? Having a future HOF WR and a future HOF TE to throw to behind a line with an-Pro line and a future HOF coach calling his plays,? That kind of work?

Yes, he should get right on it! Mahomes has clearly separated himself from Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

As a player on the field,  Mahomes is way ahead of Brady year for year.  

As a winner,  not even close.  Brady did way more with less year for year. 

How would you put those two considerations together? Sounds like if Brady had Mahomes' situation, he would have done even better than he did, is that right?

On 2/8/2024 at 4:26 PM, Einstein said:

Narratives swing SO easily.

- If he wins on Sunday, the "GOAT" talk will spring up.

- But if he loses, that means he will have as lost as many Super Bowls as he has won and the GOAT talk will be down to it's embers.

Just FYI for everyone, Mahomes stats in the Super Bowl is 5 TD's, 4 INT's and 3 Fumbles.

At the same age, Brady's stats in the Super Bowl was 6 TD's, 1 INT, 1 Fumble.

Ding ding ding.

Narratives swing easily.

We are a San Fran missed extra point from Mahomes being 2-2 in the SB. 

But he did (miss it). So Mahomes is 3-1 and in the GOAT talk.

6 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Honestly if that coach/QB combo stays intact they may end up with more SBs than Brady has altogether. 

4 appearances and 3 titles in 6 years? Crazy. 

there is greater probability that they never win another Super Bowl, then they win more than Brady.

Just now, Einstein said:

there is greater probability that they never win another Super Bowl, then they win more than Brady.

They said the same thing about the Pats after their SB loss to the Giants and all the way up to the 2013 season when they couldn’t get past the AFCC… they then tore it up again and won 3 more SBs, could have been 4 of not for Big D Nick and the Philly Special. 

They won the SB after looking absolutely pedestrian at times this season with some Sub-Par Mahomes play in the Playoffs… 

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He has been in 6 straight AFC championships and did so with wide ranges of talent. What we are seeing isn't a fluke. 10 years puts him at 38 and playing that long isn't uncommon nowadays. So I get what you're saying in the scheme of history and all, but that is kind of the point of the thread. He's looking like he doesn't fit what is normal in the context of history. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Brady played until he was 45. It's going to be hard to win 4 more Superbowls

Brady was carried by the team around him far more than Mahomes. Mahomes is physically gifted in a way that sets him far above Brady. 

7 minutes ago, BBFL said:

They said the same thing about the Pats after their SB loss to the Giants and all the way up to the 2013 season when they couldn’t get past the AFCC… they then tore it up again and won 3 more SBs, could have been 4 of not for Big D Nick and the Philly Special. 

They won the SB after looking absolutely pedestrian at times this season with some Sub-Par Mahomes play in the Playoffs… 

Not to mention the worst collection of receivers Mahomes has ever had.  Now they’ll find a way to get even better on the offensive side of the football…lucky us. 

1 minute ago, Heels20X6 said:

Not to mention the worst collection of receivers Mahomes has ever had.  Now they’ll find a way to get even better on the offensive side of the football…lucky us. 

Someone said “Winners win” in the GDT.

Reid and Mahomes are exactly that unfortunately for us. An absolutely beatable team this year but somehow plodded along and won a SB. Sure there was some luck involved that went their way in this game but they executed when it mattered. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Agree 1

On 2/1/2024 at 9:13 PM, zow2 said:

The recent dynasties included an all-world QB and an all-world TE

Brady had Gronk

Mahomes has Kelce

Allen - hopefully Kincaid becomes the centerpiece. He has the ability.

Brady had Belichick

Mahomes has Reid.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Someone said “Winners win” in the GDT.

Reid and Mahomes are exactly that unfortunately for us. An absolutely beatable team this year but somehow plodded along and won a SB. Sure there was some luck involved that went their way in this game but they executed when it mattered. 

They didn’t even look good tonight. But somehow just… won.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.