Joe Brady Officially Promoted as Bills OC!

KDIGGZ

5 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

His time as an offensive assistant on arguably the greatest offense college football has seen

If one college team had Justin Jefferson, Jamar Chase, and Joe Burrow you would lead them to a NC. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Augie said:

McD is 5-6 in the playoffs, and many of those could have gone the other way, for better or worse. Marvin Lewis was 0-7 in the playoffs, so I would not say that is the same thing. A gut who wins about half is better than a guy who never won. 

Josh Allen vs Carson Palmer 

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think if you think a defensive head coach calling a fake punt on his own 30 in the 4th Q was “playing it safe,” it’s a personal problem.

I'm just saying there is a reason Hamlin got the ball there. I don't believe it was a matter of picking the best football player for the situation.

You're mistaking what I mean when I say play it safe. I actually think McDermott's 4th down decision making and that sort of thing is as aggressive as it should be. It's more about his gameplans, the players he chooses to start, the players he chooses to rely on in critical moments. It is those high level situations where I think he plays it safe to the detriment of the team. Hiring Brady without even trying to do better is a good example of this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It’s not just McD.  I keep looking for ANY sign of accountability in either of Pegula’s sports franchises and I haven’t seen a single one since Kim’s unfortunate health issue.  Seems like the Bills and Sabres are both flying on autopilot.

I said the same thing about Kim a while back, she was really the big boss , and had her hand in it. Terry just bought the team, McDermott and Brandon run everything now. That’s why when I hear the media talk about the owner firing McDermott I laugh. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm just saying there is a reason Hamlin got the ball there. I don't believe it was a matter of picking the best football player for the situation.

You're mistaking what I mean when I say play it safe. I actually think McDermott's 4th down decision making and that sort of thing is as aggressive as it should be. It's more about his gameplans, the players he chooses to start, the players he chooses to rely on in critical moments. It is those high level situations where I think he plays it safe to the detriment of the team. Hiring Brady without even trying to do better is a good example of this.

I think the word you are probably looking for is “comfortable” and I agree that Brady is the comfortable choice. 

Just as I think McD is pretty comfortable with letting Josh make a play on 4th down.

1 minute ago, 97bills said:

I said the same thing about Kim a while back, she was really the big boss , and had her hand in it. Terry just bought the team, McDermott and Brandon run everything now. That’s why when I hear the media talk about the owner firing McDermott I laugh. 

It's really sad about Kim!

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Josh Allen vs Carson Palmer 

You mean Lewis couldn’t win a playoff game even with HOF QB Carson Palmer? Geez! That’s even worse! 

😋

Carson Palmer was no slouch, and he wasn’t the reason Lewis was 0-7 in the playoffs. You can’t just put the blame wherever it best helps your narrative. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Josh Allen is the lipstick on this pig of a franchise. Make no mistake about it, this organization is still the same clown show it was during the drought years. It just has an otherworldly talent at QB to mask it.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think the word you are probably looking for is “comfortable” and I agree that Brady is the comfortable choice. 

Sure, comfortable. I'm glad our discussion once again turned into a semantics game.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, QB Bills said:

Josh Allen is the lipstick on this pig of a franchise. Make no mistake about it, this organization is still the same clown show it was during the drought years. It just has an otherworldly talent at QB to mask it.

I take it you don’t like the hire huh

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

You mean Lewis couldn’t win a playoff game even with HOF QB Carson Palmer? Geez! That’s even worse! 

😋

Carson Palmer was no slouch, and he wasn’t the reason Lewis was 0-7 in the playoffs. You can’t just put the blame wherever it best helps your narrative. 

Yes I can…and I just did.  McDermott with Palmer is likely 0-6 in the playoffs.  

2 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Yes I can…and I just did.  McDermott with Palmer is likely 0-6 in the playoffs.  

Well then, I guess we don’t need to listen to anybody else if you have all the answer you like. 

Not surprised by the promotion but I certainly want to see MORE from Brady with a full offseason to put his vision into place.

While the Bills offense has been explosive it also has too many stretches of dormancy. This offseason I’d love to see Josh mentor with Payton Manning to deepen his understanding of situational football, studying and breaking down film. 

For Brady, the offense continues to put too much emphasis on Josh making a play. Far too often Josh has to make a perfect throw.  More use of motion, better play design scheming players open and the ability to implement an effective screen game. He also must figure out how to use Diggs better.

I want to see more situation football from Brady and Josh. Josh needs to significantly reduce the interceptions this upcoming year.

Lastly more creativity. For example, the 4th down conversion putting Shakir in motion only to have him reverse direction for an easy conversion. Loved it and wish they would have went back to it again in the game.

10 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

This comment is the real clown show. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Comfortable decisions are so frequently the best aren't they? 

Yeah, like the comfort of going with a second year MLB who had a year learning the system over bringing in some random FA to take the job.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

37 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It’s not just McD.  I keep looking for ANY sign of accountability in either of Pegula’s sports franchises and I haven’t seen a single one since Kim’s unfortunate health issue.  Seems like the Bills and Sabres are both flying on autopilot.

People talk about owners not interfering a lot isn't that a good thing?  I would think Beane would need to make the change many of us want though I'm not sure that's the correct dynamic we have going on.

I read a page or so of these comments.

Oooo weee, some of them are out there on Planet Nine. Especially those from the always negative crowd.

It's a good hire. There was nobody better out there.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yeah, like the comfort of going with a second year MLB who had a year learning the system over bringing in some random FA to take the job.

The sure sign of a young person or a congential idiot is the desire to take blind leaps into the dark with uncertain outcomes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

44 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

As they should. 

People want a young, highly respected offensive mind with a big time resume and got one.

Whiners gunna whine, feed them to the pit. 

I cannot wait to see what Brady does with an offense that HE installs and runs concepts he develops. 

I am looking forward to seeing the team use real screen passes again. 

Edited by steven50

I'm neither excited nor disappointed in this hiring. I was resigned to it. It felt inevitable given the m.o. during this period of time with McDermott under Pegula. If Brady sucks, the Bills are in trouble. If he's very good, he will be hired away as a HC somewhere after a year or two and Josh will be on to yet another OC. Rinse & repeat. It's the single biggest reason I wanted McD replaced by an offensive minded coach. This will be a never-ending cycle for 17's career as long as he is elite. Any owner in this day and age of football who still considers hiring a DC as his HC is, at best, completely unaware of how the game is now played or, at worst, acutely obtuse.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.