2024 WR Draft Class

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Bruce Feldman published his annual draft confidential article:

https://theathletic.com/5431528/2024/04/23/nfl-draft-2024-confidential-nabers-harrison-williams?source=user-shared-article

Here are the most interesting nuggets on the top WRs:

I can buy that on Thomas.  I watched all his targets yesterday.  The straightine speed is absurd,  no doubt about it,  and maybe thats enough for a mid/late 1st.  Everything else...meh.  I'm not going to argue if they pick him,  I've been wrong before.  I just don't see it.   

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I can buy that on Thomas.  I watched all his targets yesterday.  The straightine speed is absurd,  no doubt about it,  and maybe thats enough for a mid/late 1st.  Everything else...meh.  I'm not going to argue if they pick him,  I've been wrong before.  I just don't see it.   

well good on the Bills if we can get enough negative talk about BTJ to have him slide closer or even all the way to 28!

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Yeah I did too. Some confusing drops, couldn't tell if maybe the sun was in his eyes or something because they were bizarre, gave me bad Gabe flashbacks. But I see his floor as a crazy fast Gabe Davis, which definitely has value, even if he only gets 3-5 targets a game but he's running 25 go routes/game his rookie year. The threat is real

13 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I feel like the Thomas notes were just a mixed bag. A lot of complimentary stuff and a lot of concerns too

The complimentary stuff is just that his size and speed means he has a high ceiling. Which is definitely true, but man I just can't get past his lack of edge. I really think someone with his skill set needs that. It's like if he doesn't win the release and separate vertically, the play is dead on arrival. And I don't think that alpha mentality is something you ever develop.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The complimentary stuff is just that his size and speed means he has a high ceiling. Which is definitely true, but man I just can't get past his lack of edge. I really think someone with his skill set needs that. It's like if he doesn't win the release and separate vertically, the play is dead on arrival. And I don't think that alpha mentality is something you ever develop.

Agreed,  and to me,  I thought it really showed up after the catch.  Sure,  if he catches it in stride and can hit the afterburner,  he's a major problem.  But in traffic,  if he can't,  if he has to turn and run and the defender is in decent position,  he's usually not going anywhere.  Very surprised to see how many short passes with little to no RAC out of a guy with that kind of speed and burst. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I don’t really know what to make of that either to be honest. You put on the tape and Thomas plays hard and has no issue shedding press coverage, making downfield blocks, all the high effort stuff. Worthy doesn’t do any of that but he’s more talkative so he’s the one with an edge to him? That sounds like a bad thing to me. 

Again, I always enjoy reading these confidentials; just confused by some of it every year where I see basically the opposite of what they see. 

Edited by DCOrange
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Brian Thomas Jr. speculation, he's got and off the field issue / injury making teams nervous. May need reconstructive surgery on shoulder after 2024 season IF he can play on it this year without injurying it more.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/colts-nfl-draft-target-brian-thomas-jr-shoulder-injury/551ac69bb3b0faa9372ede9c

Yikes.   The Bills are pretty conservative when it comes to injuries.  That might be enough to drop him off their board in R1.  

It's also why I'm having a difficult time with a Bills draft projection for Latu,  whom I think would be their #1 realistic target IF the medicals check out,  but that's a big if.  

26 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Yikes.   The Bills are pretty conservative when it comes to injuries.  That might be enough to drop him off their board in R1.  

It's also why I'm having a difficult time with a Bills draft projection for Latu,  whom I think would be their #1 realistic target IF the medicals check out,  but that's a big if.  

The rumour on Latu is the majority of teams have cleared him. Which means he won't be there at #28 IMO.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The rumour on Latu is the majority of teams have cleared him. Which means he won't be there at #28 IMO.

Yeah,  I think it's unlikely he'll be there at 28,  though I do think he might fall far enough to be within reach of a realistic trade up.   I'm not sure it's smart to trade up for him under the circumstances,  but late teens/early 20s,  I think the Bills would be interested if they were comfortable with the medical side. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Agreed,  and to me,  I thought it really showed up after the catch.  Sure,  if he catches it in stride and can hit the afterburner,  he's a major problem.  But in traffic,  if he can't,  if he has to turn and run and the defender is in decent position,  he's usually not going anywhere.  Very surprised to see how many short passes with little to no RAC out of a guy with that kind of speed and burst. 

Well Brian Thomas Jr. basically ran a Gabe Davis route tree.........which means anything he catches in front of coverage is going to be while moving forward or at a dead stop.    Tall, leggy players aren't going to get YAC in those situations.   Most players don't, actually.   Gabe couldn't be used over the middle because his hands were atrocious.   They'd try him in the slot in camp and/or preseason every year to see if his offseason of work had improved his hands so he could be used as a big slot to expand his usefulness........but it never did take.   BTJ's hands are not a strength either but Gabe was a very different situation.  

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I need this man on the Bills you guys. Hope this isn’t posturing for the Bears to take him at 9 to pair with Williams 

If you are going to move up why not go all the way. Don't just move up for a guy with great traits and lots to prove (BTJ, AD), move up for the guy who, absent injury, is pretty much guaranteed to be a great pro. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Yeah,  I think it's unlikely he'll be there at 28,  though I do think he might fall far enough to be within reach of a realistic trade up.   I'm not sure it's smart to trade up for him under the circumstances,  but late teens/early 20s,  I think the Bills would be interested if they were comfortable with the medical side. 

One of the Robinsons might be there at #28, I wouldn't be shocked if we grabbed one unless get a good offer to move down. 

• Sad 2
  • Dislike 1

I just checked my watch again and it is literally 5 years until Thursday night.  

As is my usual request, someone please, PLEASE come to home, my office or even my place of worship and knock me the hell out with a ball peen hammer to my head and don't wake me up until two plus hours after the first pick of the night.  

I don't need to perseverate over the guys we aren't going to get until 28 (believing we won't trade up).

Go Bills!

Go 64 ounce Big Gulp of Nyquil!

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I just checked my watch again and it is literally 5 years until Thursday night.  

As is my usual request, someone please, PLEASE come to home, my office or even my place of worship and knock me the hell out with a ball peen hammer to my head and don't wake me up until two plus hours after the first pick of the night.  

I don't need to perseverate over the guys we aren't going to get until 28 (believing we won't trade up).

Go Bills!

Go 64 ounce Big Gulp of Nyquil!

A cup of good old fashioned Joe Coffee Double Shot right before bed should calm you down my good man! 🤗

I’ve been over the mock drafts from every corner of the inter webs for awhile now…make it stop already! Let’s instead think about draft night menu options…🤔

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

One of the Robinsons might be there at #28, I wouldn't be shocked if we grabbed one unless get a good offer to move down. 

I'm not a huge fan of DEs in the late 1st as a general rule...they usually suck... and I'm in the minority as I don't see a lot of opportunities for a rookie on this roster in 2024,  but it wouldn't surprise me if they pick one of those guys.  

Will Nabers slide a little due to shoulder concern?

I’d love to know what our WR board looks like.  IMO we could have any of the Top 3 as our #1 on the board

MHJ - very strong chance of greatness HOF calibur player.

Nabers - so explosive. But, perhaps the most risky. 

Odunze - very strong chance of elite. Leadership, character

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

Strange that Keion Coleman seems to have just dropped off the face of the earth. 

Rumours that Coleman and Kam Kinchens got abducted by aliens at the Combine

Edited by Aussie Joe

2 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Strange that Keion Coleman seems to have just dropped off the face of the earth. 

Tom Pelissero did mention him as one of the 4 guys to watch out for as a surprise 1st rounder. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m not Tyler Dunne, I swear. But that’s exactly what I’ve been saying about Worthy. 

Also I think Beane really wants Odunze. Probably wants him the most he’s wanted a prospect other than Allen.

Why do you think that about Odunze specifically?  It’s certainly possible

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Because he’s a elite WR1 with a Buffalo mentality. Rare. 

His character fits McD to a T. He'd be a great pick, but how much is it going to cost to grab him? And all that is predicated on him falling to maybe 8. It's not at all a sure thing that happens.

56 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m not Tyler Dunne, I swear. But that’s exactly what I’ve been saying about Worthy. 

Also I think Beane really wants Odunze. Probably wants him the most he’s wanted a prospect other than Allen.

okay, I’m on board

Odunze may have the character the Bills look for in players but I just don’t see the elite talent from him. I have to think this guy falls outside the top 10 and don’t see him in the same tier as Nabers and Harrison. He had tons of targets in his offense to rack up stats and high volume does not necessarily equal elite. I struggled to see what elite skills as a wr he brings to the table. Often very little separation from defenders leading to having tons of contested catch opportunities. I just don’t see any elite burst/explosion from this guy and it shows up in his inability to separate in his routes and run away from defenders when he has the ball. His jumping ability in contested catches seems average, certainly nothing special. Hands are good but not great as there were many dropped passes on tape. No real elusiveness when ball in his hands and he had several fumbles. Speed, burst, body control, route running, hands, vertical, elusiveness all seem to be just good but nothing jumps out at me. 

I would absolutely hate to trade up near top 10 for Rome. A player like Chase took me 2 games to watch and be able to see the elite explosion, speed, body control. Not a big fan of trading up unless for a qb but if so, wr has to clearly portray elite traits to make his ceiling worth it. Should not give up picks just because he has a low floor. 

I think Thomas and Franklin are actually better players/prospects than Odunze. They both display elite speed on the field and the ability to separate from defenders. I’d much prefer those options and Franklin can probably be had sitting at 28. I really don’t see much of a difference in overall talent between Polk and Odunze. I like Polk a lot as a 2nd or 3rd round player and I would feel the same if Odunze were to be drafted in the early to mid second. 

• Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Odunze may have the character the Bills look for in players but I just don’t see the elite talent from him. I have to think this guy falls outside the top 10 and don’t see him in the same tier as Nabers and Harrison. He had tons of targets in his offense to rack up stats and high volume does not necessarily equal elite. I struggled to see what elite skills as a wr he brings to the table. Often very little separation from defenders leading to having tons of contested catch opportunities. I just don’t see any elite burst/explosion from this guy and it shows up in his inability to separate in his routes and run away from defenders when he has the ball. His jumping ability in contested catches seems average, certainly nothing special. Hands are good but not great as there were many dropped passes on tape. No real elusiveness when ball in his hands and he had several fumbles. Speed, burst, body control, route running, hands, vertical, elusiveness all seem to be just good but nothing jumps out at me. 

I would absolutely hate to trade up near top 10 for Rome. A player like Chase took me 2 games to watch and be able to see the elite explosion, speed, body control. Not a big fan of trading up unless for a qb but if so, wr has to clearly portray elite traits to make his ceiling worth it. Should not give up picks just because he has a low floor. 

I think Thomas and Franklin are actually better players/prospects than Odunze. They both display elite speed on the field and the ability to separate from defenders. I’d much prefer those options and Franklin can probably be had sitting at 28. I really don’t see much of a difference in overall talent between Polk and Odunze. I like Polk a lot as a 2nd or 3rd round player and I would feel the same if Odunze were to be drafted in the early to mid second. 

Very well said.  Don't forget to mention he played with an elite play caller and an elite long ball QB.  Allen isn't in the same tier as Penix with the deep ball.  Odunze also got to play with Polk and McMillian, two very good WRs.

I also can't get his last game out of my head, where he was wide opened, turned the wrong way and dropped the ball.  Reminded me of Gabe Davis.  

Too costly for Harrison/Nabers and don’t see those guys as legitimate options.

Odunze - as stated just don’t see it but if he fell to the second round I’d be happy to grab him there, which seems very unlikely given the consensus thinking around him. 
Brian Thomas - immediately jumps off screen with his speed and length. He is smooth and just can run away from SEC defenders. He needs improve in overall routes but he has elite skills that cannot be taught. I completely understand trading up into the low 20s or even mid teens for this guy. 

At 28, I would not mind Franklin or even Worthy. I like Franklins overall game better but Worthy was a much better route runner than I anticipated. Hill like speed and burst. Just small and not sure ho well he would hold up. Could see Chiefs targeting this guy. 

Mitchell - hard to figure out as sometimes he looks like Lamb with his ability to separate with elite route running. But he also seems to have some inconsistency with his hands and he gets too squatty when running and I seems him trip over himself a number of time in the open field. I think second round is where I’d feel more comfortable. 
Leggette - he has AJ Brown like traits but I think less bend in him. He is a little more stiff like DK but I like him in the second and probably like him more than Mitchell. 
Burton is first round talent but character concerns seem to be pushing him down boards. I also like Polk, Cowing and Malik Washington as options to double dip. Johnny Wilson was also more impressive to me than I would have thought at his height. Maybe could be a Marcus Colston type. 

4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Very well said.  Don't forget to mention he played with an elite play caller and an elite long ball QB.  Allen isn't in the same tier as Penix with the deep ball.  Odunze also got to play with Polk and McMillian, two very good WRs.

I also can't get his last game out of my head, where he was wide opened, turned the wrong way and dropped the ball.  Reminded me of Gabe Davis.  

Agreed. I went in watching his games thinking too 10 wr and just was very disappointed in what I saw. Maybe some of it has to do with expectations but I just feel like everything about his traits and skills are average. No real deficiencies but nothing that makes him a match up problems either.