2024 WR Draft Class

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFan said:

The Bills drafted Shorter last year in the 5th rd.  The next 2 WRs off the board were Donta Wicks and Puka Nacua.  Oops!

SPECIAL TEAMS BABY!!    Shorter was the top WR recruit in the nation out of HS though, so not like they took a flyer on nothing 

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

SPECIAL TEAMS BABY!!    Shorter was the top WR recruit in the nation out of HS though, so not like they took a flyer on nothing 

I don’t disagree, but it shows the luck of the draft sometimes.  Maybe Shorter becomes the breakout Bill this year, like Shakir last year.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GASabresIUFan said:

I don’t disagree, but it shows the luck of the draft sometimes.  Maybe Shorter becomes the breakout Bill this year, like Shakir last year.  

That would be a bit of a shock....a good one, but not expecting anything.  I think he's WR6-7  

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t think the Bills will like him because of age. They will likely prefer someone 21 years old.

I have felt that way too.  Maybe  Allen sways it.  Toughest choice is Mitchell vs Leggette imo.  Mitchell has what your looking for but not the production.  Leggette is older and his 1 season is still one of the best seasons in the class in the SEC with the most talent in the secondary of any conference.  Wr now being an immediate need vs a chance to come along slowly you may take the dip in potential for a bump in immediate impact.  Aj Brown is still a heck of alot of potential. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I have felt that way too.  Maybe  Allen sways it.  Toughest choice is Mitchell vs Leggette imo.  Mitchell has what your looking for but not the production.  Leggette is older and his 1 season is still one of the best seasons in the class in the SEC with the most talent in the secondary of any conference.  Wr now being an immediate need vs a chance to come along slowly you may take the dip in potential for a bump in immediate impact.  Aj Brown is still a heck of alot of potential. 

AD had big plays in big games.  Legette had way more YAC  and his breakaway speed looks unreal in games. Especially with his size/frame.  He's just BUILT. 

Tier 2 for me today would be :

Thomas Jr.
X. Legette
X. Worthy
AD Mitchell
Troy Franklin 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

That would be a bit of a shock....a good one, but not expecting anything.  I think he's WR6-7  

I don't think so either.  He looks like a 5/6 to me as well, but an injury opens the door for someone to step up.  

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

AD had big plays in big games.  Legette had way more YAC  and his breakaway speed looks unreal in games. Especially with his size/frame.  He's just BUILT. 

Tier 2 for me today would be :

Thomas Jr.
X. Legette
X. Worthy
AD Mitchell
Troy Franklin 

They could and should get 2 of them. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Beane has said over and over again he wants different than what we have. He wants field stretchers and wideners. Watch his end of season press conference.

They signed Samuel who is a wide receiver screen and underneath WR with RAC ability. He can be more than that but in Brady’s offense that’s what he was. Kincaid and Shakir both underneath WRs with RAC.

They are drafting someone that stretches the field vertically and horizontally.

Brian Thomas will be here today.

Honestly, if there is a point where need meets position for Beane to move up for, at this point I think it's Thomas.

He's got the size and speed, and the LSU pedigree for Brady.

I'm not saying he's our guy come hell or high water. If someone snipes him at 15, the Bills are SOL.

But if he makes it to the late teens or early 20s I think Beane does his best to work some magic.

If not, seeing Mitchell comes to you. After that, sorry folks let's try Round 2.

8 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Gunner, you can't say that the Jets haven't drafted well with the exception of the QB position

They had a good draft the year they had 3 first round picks. Other than that...... meh. 

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I agree. I really like Shorter and was happy we drafted him at the time. As much as I like him, expecting anything at all from him is pointless. We have absolutely no idea what he can do and for all we know he is  Vosean Joseph…redshirt a year then out of the league.

Because the eclipse was cloudy yesterday, I spent the entire time looking at WR in this draft.

I don't understand the Brian Thomas hype.  All he does is run go and hitch.  I respect Josh Norris a lot, and he is also low on Brian Thomas.  The tape just isnt there with Thomas.  It's the same thing over and over again.  Go routes.

On the other hand, Xavier Worthy is going to be a problem in this league.  The guy played outside way more than I thought.  The amount of coverage he took away for teammates was insane.  AD Mitchell wouldn't even be a Day 1 or 2 pick if it wasn't for Worthy.  The guy also has multiple years of production and he ran really nice routes.

Worthy is my 4th rated WR.  Legette is my 5th.  

• Agree 1

Saw this chart on The Ringer today (part of a fun but silly article which nevertheless had some nice info hidden amongst the jokes).

Not a great look for Brian Thomas Jr and Adonai Mitchell, with the takeaway being that while they have everything you want from a physical standpoint and have both shown the POTENTIAL to be good, their college production (not just raw numbers, but yards per route run relative to their target rate) is lacking.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/4/9/24124742/best-wide-receivers-2024-nfl-draft-class-marvin-harrison-jr-malik-nabers-rome-odunze

image.thumb.png.c4f3de59afdb7d4ee05c91ec4506c5de.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I keep coming back to two of Brandon Beane's comments. The first was "how many different things can you do? Inside? Outside? How versatile are you?". The second was his repeated mentioning of yards-after-catch.

They both keep bringing me back to Malik Nabers, Xavier Legette, and Malachi Corley.

All three have serious yards-after-catch ability, all three have some degree of inside-outside versatility (Nabers especially).

I think Beane's (and maybe Brady's) ideal vision for a receiving corps is a bunch of guys who can more or less play any of the positions. Curtis Samuel and Khalil Shakir both have inside-outside versatility. Diggs had it. I think they want it in the guy(s) they draft. I think they want to be able to put Samuel, Shakir, and the draftee(s) out on the field and be able to put any of them in any of the WR spots, without telegraphing to the defense from snap to snap who will be lined up where.

It's probably a dumb and overly optimistic thing to think, but assuming he's not the first WR off the board, I have this weird feeling that the Bills really love Malik Nabers and want to try to find a way to make him a Buffalo Bill. He just ticks all of Brandon Beane's boxes. Explosive athlete, elite production, outstanding after the catch, positional versatility. All of it. He also instantly elevates gives the Bills a viable WR1 and elevates the entire receiving corps in a way that whoever they pick at 28 likely doesn't. Here's hoping I'm right and that Beane is feeling saucy come draft night.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Because the eclipse was cloudy yesterday, I spent the entire time looking at WR in this draft.

I don't understand the Brian Thomas hype.  All he does is run go and hitch.  I respect Josh Norris a lot, and he is also low on Brian Thomas.  The tape just isnt there with Thomas.  It's the same thing over and over again.  Go routes.

On the other hand, Xavier Worthy is going to be a problem in this league.  The guy played outside way more than I thought.  The amount of coverage he took away for teammates was insane.  AD Mitchell wouldn't even be a Day 1 or 2 pick if it wasn't for Worthy.  The guy also has multiple years of production and he ran really nice routes.

I agree with this.  I think Worthy is actually getting dinged for losing some weight and running the fastest 40.  Worthy plays tougher on film than you’d think and he was productive as an 18 year old Freshman.  He’s still only 20 years old.  He’s almost uncoverable and played well against the best competition.  I’d be happy with him at pick 28 but don’t think he lasts that long.  Dudes with big play ability and consistent production like that don’t last until pick 28.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I agree with you on Thomas. He is a total one trick pony. It is just he is really good at the one trick and that one trick is one that give you explosive plays that change ball games. I have Legette 4, Thomas 5. I have Worthy 7. I think Worthy in the right offense will be a star. But he is one of the most scheme specific. I can well imagine a team like Carolina taking him and trying to shoehorn him into a traditional WR position in a traditional west coast offense that is all about precision and timing and him struggling to make an impact. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Logic said:

Saw this chart on The Ringer today (part of a fun but silly article which nevertheless had some nice info hidden amongst the jokes).

Not a great look for Brian Thomas Jr and Adonai Mitchell, with the takeaway being that while they have everything you want from a physical standpoint and have both shown the POTENTIAL to be good, their college production (not just raw numbers, but yards per route run relative to their target rate) is lacking.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/4/9/24124742/best-wide-receivers-2024-nfl-draft-class-marvin-harrison-jr-malik-nabers-rome-odunze

Interesting... Both AM and BT have other peer stud receivers on the field with them. I imagine that was a factor in the statistic.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, DJB said:

The one thing about Legette is he had a lot of manufactured screens and plays to get him in space with the ball. Something to consider 

Fair, but it's worth recalling that those (1) still take up a share of a finite amount of offensive plays/QB targets, and (2) he's such a physical presence during RAC that they wanted to manufacture touches for him.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

I keep coming back to two of Brandon Beane's comments. The first was "how many different things can you do? Inside? Outside? How versatile are you?". The second was his repeated mentioning of yards-after-catch.

They both keep bringing me back to Malik Nabers, Xavier Legette, and Malachi Corley.

All three have serious yards-after-catch ability, all three have some degree of inside-outside versatility (Nabers especially).

I think Beane's (and maybe Brady's) ideal vision for a receiving corps is a bunch of guys who can more or less play any of the positions. Curtis Samuel and Khalil Shakir both have inside-outside versatility. Diggs had it. I think they want it in the guy(s) they draft. I think they want to be able to put Samuel, Shakir, and the draftee(s) out on the field and be able to put any of them in any of the WR spots, without telegraphing to the defense from snap to snap who will be lined up where.

It's probably a dumb and overly optimistic thing to think, but assuming he's not the first WR off the board, I have this weird feeling that the Bills really love Malik Nabers and want to try to find a way to make him a Buffalo Bill. He just ticks all of Brandon Beane's boxes. Explosive athlete, elite production, outstanding after the catch, positional versatility. All of it. He also instantly elevates gives the Bills a viable WR1 and elevates the entire receiving corps in a way that whoever they pick at 28 likely doesn't. Here's hoping I'm right and that Beane is feeling saucy come draft night.

I'm going with the guy "that convinces you to forget his timed speed." Played inside/out, physical, good RAC receiver, helluva contested catch guy 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The more I read and listen to…I want no part of Brian Thomas jr. Especially if he requires a trade up. This is the thing that would make me most miserable on draft night 

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with you on Thomas. He is a total one trick pony. It is just he is really good at the one trick and that one trick is one that give you explosive plays that change ball games. I have Legette 4, Thomas 5. I have Worthy 7. I think Worthy in the right offense will be a star. But he is one of the most scheme specific. I can well imagine a team like Carolina taking him and trying to shoehorn him into a traditional WR position in a traditional west coast offense that is all about precision and timing and him struggling to make an impact. 

Legette is the guy I desperately want

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I like comps. Do you have a comp for Thomas in your mind? What about Leggette? 

Walterfootball compares Thomas to MVS and Leggette to Breshad Perriman. I would be pretty disappointed in both of those outcomes. 

ESPN compared Thomas to Tee Higgins and Leggette to AJ Brown.  

1 hour ago, zevo said:

The more I read and listen to…I want no part of Brian Thomas jr. Especially if he requires a trade up. This is the thing that would make me most miserable on draft night 

Legette is the guy I desperately want

Understand it's probably much more than that chart swaying you, but Legette is significantly lower than Thomas in the career YPRR part of that chart and just on par in terms of the target rate. Mitchell is slightly above them in target rate but below them in YPRR.

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I like comps. Do you have a comp for Thomas in your mind? What about Leggette? 

Walterfootball compares Thomas to MVS and Leggette to Breshad Perriman. I would be pretty disappointed in both of those outcomes. 

ESPN compared Thomas to Tee Higgins and Leggette to AJ Brown.  

He's obviously nowhere near as jacked as DK was, but skillset/usage wise, Thomas is very similar to DK right now IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My biggest negative on Brian Thomas is I believe he lacks that alpha dog attitude. Very laid back dude. That could be a good thing coming from Diggs but I want an Alpha. I’m starting to fade on Thomas.

I think he can do more than what we see in his highlight package. The guy is an explosive 6’3 athlete with strength and strong hands. I just worry about him as WR1.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe approximately 5 or 6 of the 16? first and second rounders identified on this Board will pan out.   History tells us this, BBB better get one of the good ones.  

31 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

No way I’m trading pick 28, pick 60 and next years 1st to move up to pick 9 for a WR.  Chiefs traded less to us to move up for a QB.  

Absolutely not.  Most I would trade to move up is next years first (just because that Minny 2nd is going to be high) and a 4th this year.  However, it would need to be for Rome or Harrison.  If both those guys are gone, I'm picking at 28.

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My biggest negative on Brian Thomas is I believe he lacks that alpha dog attitude. Very laid back dude. That could be a good thing coming from Diggs but I want an Alpha. I’m starting to fade on Thomas.

I think he can do more than what we see in his highlight package. The guy is an explosive 6’3 athlete with strength and strong hands. I just worry about him as WR1.

He wasn't even the alpha at LSU, while he offers a lot in terms of height and speed he seems limited to certain route that take advantage of his speeds. He kind of reminds me of Alvin Harper in Dallas who when moved on to Tampa to be a #1 he didn't live up to the billing. While I love his skill set I do have reservations. Ultimately I'd stand pat at 28 and see what fell to me, as am okay if we take Legette at 28, or Chop or Darius Robinson or Newton and then look at a WR in Round 2. As we have a few holes to fill and even without Diggs I don't think WR is the worth reaching for if other quality prospects fall.