Mr. Pegula please read Tyler Dunne’s newest article

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-buffalo-bills-have-a-decision

Tyler Dunne is spot on. Great article I don’t understand how at the very least we couldn’t have told Sean McDermott hey we’re going to explore other options at head coach in the next few weeks. We are not firing you unless we find someone we think will maximize Josh Allens talents and get us to a Super Bowl more than you can.

It’s an off-season that has Hall of Fame coaches just sitting there for the taking. Why not at least check it out.  What’s the worst that happens if we do that? McD gets pissy and resigns. Well thank God for that. 

• Like (+1) 15
  • Vomit 19
  • Eyeroll 22
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5
  • Dislike 8

3 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Tyler Dunne is spot on. Great article I don’t understand how at the very least we couldn’t have told Sean McDermott hey we’re going to explore other options at head coach in the next few weeks. We are not firing you unless we find someone we think will maximize Josh Allens talents and get us to a Super Bowl more than you can.

It’s an off-season that has Hall of Fame coaches just sitting there for the taking. Why not at least check it out.  What’s the worst that happens if we do that? McD gets pissy and resigns. Well thank God for that. 

“we are going to explore other options at head coach” is a great way to destabilize your entire organization. 

You can’t have it both ways. Either stick with the guy/get fully behind him, or fire him. 

• Like (+1) 21
  • Agree 29
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 9

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

“we are going to explore other options at head coach” is a great way to destabilize your entire organization. 

You can’t have it both ways. Either stick with the guy/get fully behind him, or fire him. 

You mean like what McD did to Leslie Frazier?!!!

Yeah.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

A large portion of the fan base want Sean gone, I get that and it's a legitimate debate. 

However the bolded above could have stopped at  I don’t understand. The rest is laughable imo.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

This is pretty dumb.  Imagine telling your head coach, hey, we are going to see if something better is out there.  Sit tight.   Why are people's brains broken?

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

11 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Them "HOF" coaches are looking for a job for a reason 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

His article last time seemed to light a fire under McD and the team, so we'll see what happens after this one. It's safe to say McD bought himself another year...

It all ended the same way though.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Yeah.

Bingo! 

And honestly teams can do whatever they want. The cubs just did this same situation with David Ross when they dismissed him for Craig Counsel as their manager. 

I’d just fire him straight up but at least this gives the warm and fuzzies to him for his years of service and ultimately lets him make the decision if he wants to fall on his own sword before being put out of his misery. 

• Vomit 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lol tell a guy we might replace you if we find a better option but then if not go back to him? Yeah I’m sure that would be a real comfortable working environment if you come back to him. Sounds like a real world situation….Fire him or don’t. We all already know he’s going nowhere. You want to go outside the organization to put a big time OC in there? Maybe have a little in house heat and pressure? That can probably happen. But you can’t have 1 foot out the door here then come back to McDermott. Once you even bring it up, you have to move on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Tyler Dunn can go ***** himself for that ***** he pulled mid season. He tried destroying our year and all for clicks. I used to like his interviews with Mckenzie, they both can disappear and I'll be fine with it. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is pretty dumb.  Imagine telling your head coach, hey, we are going to see if something better is out there.  Sit tight.   Why are people's brains broken?

There's a line in a Carly Simon song:  "Sorry that your mother dropped you on your head..."

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Never read anything related to Tyler Dunne

Then you're missing out on a man telling the truth here.  I get that Dunne has a "rep" but check these out and tell me he's wrong:

Those suffering from Drought Brain — terrified of another dark age — will soon nestle into another blanket of excuses and swiftly demonize any criticism of team, of coach.

None of this happens if the Bills — ownership on down — operate with Allen at forefront of mind. He’s the most important person in the building. He’s the employee with the richest contract in Buffalo sports history. That’s what blew the minds of so many players and coaches I spoke to for The McDermott Problem. Those who’ve been around McDermott every day describe the coach as a simpleton when it comes to this position, as if he never understood that Allen was the No. 1 reason this team is a Super Bowl contender.

As I write this column, McDermott is holding his season-ending press conference. He says the biggest reason for their turnaround was cutting down turnovers. Let’s hope he doesn’t try to neuter Allen’s arm this offseason after taking aim at his legs last offseason

• Like (+1) 9
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Ah, yes. I remember the time I told my then-fiance, "I'm going to explore other options for a wife over the next few weeks, but if I don't find anyone better, then I'll marry you."

She left that night and never returned, but I'm sure it was just a coincidence.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

More wise observations:

So, it’s decision time. Buffalo must decide which individual they should orbit around. That will guide both draft decisions and X ‘n O philosophy. Obviously replacing McDermott with a new coach could help maximize Josh Allen before it’s too late, but Pegula didn’t do that after a fifth straight playoff loss.  

Allen could speak up. He won’t rock the boat.

That leaves one person to look in the mirror and change if the Bills are ever going to win a Super Bowl. The head coach.

He’s right. He needs to go for it.

That means unleashing his best player in full.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

Ah, yes. I remember the time I told my then-fiance, "I'm going to explore other options for a wife over the next few weeks, but if I don't find anyone better, then I'll marry you."

She left that night and never returned, but I'm sure it was just a coincidence.

HA!  I think the equivalent is "I just need a little space..."

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

When did McDermott ever tell Frazier he was going to actively seek other potential DC’s and keep Frazier only if there wasn’t an upgrade?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Yeah.

He let Frazier save face. Everyone, including Frazier, knew he wouldn't be back.

• Agree 1

Lots of reasons to argue McDermott should be moved on from. But if you find yourself using Ty Dunne and directing people to his trash - that's gross.

Regardless, it's not happening. If it were going to happen, it would have came before McDermott and Beane addressed the media.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Then you're missing out on a man telling the truth here.  I get that Dunne has a "rep" but check these out and tell me he's wrong:

Those suffering from Drought Brain — terrified of another dark age — will soon nestle into another blanket of excuses and swiftly demonize any criticism of team, of coach.

None of this happens if the Bills — ownership on down — operate with Allen at forefront of mind. He’s the most important person in the building. He’s the employee with the richest contract in Buffalo sports history. That’s what blew the minds of so many players and coaches I spoke to for The McDermott Problem. Those who’ve been around McDermott every day describe the coach as a simpleton when it comes to this position, as if he never understood that Allen was the No. 1 reason this team is a Super Bowl contender.

As I write this column, McDermott is holding his season-ending press conference. He says the biggest reason for their turnaround was cutting down turnovers. Let’s hope he doesn’t try to neuter Allen’s arm this offseason after taking aim at his legs last offseason

I know Dunne used a lot of interviews for his other article, but that last paragraph is funny when McD literally said he believes passing is the key to an effective offense…. He just wants to prove a point.  

Beane and Diggs addressed the offensive line this year, and made Allen the most protected qb in the league.  Drafted Kincaid.  I understand Davis wasn’t what he wanted him to be, but Dunne is trying to push opinion very heavily.  And, to use the drought as a way to make a statement that denounces our ability to understand the nuance between the drought years and now is just offensive.

i still think he is a hack

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm glad Dunne is rocking the boat again.  I hope Pegula is reading every word that this man is saying.  I don't know about the rest of you but it seems to me McD is jockeying to spend more draft capitol on the D not the O.  How will you Dunne critics like it if we take a safety in round 1 and not a WR?  Or that we spend more FA on the D line and not sign a top end WR in FA?

I listened to McD & Bean's press conference and I have concerns.  They said some of the right things but I didn't hear conviction in what they were saying. 

The bottom line is that the Bills are wasting the talents of a uniquely gifted QB with their current coaching and personnel situation.  If you want more of the same then curse Dunne and cheer McD.  But 3 straight losses in the Divisional playoff round have changed my mind about everything.  And I welcome Dunne playing the role of the squeaking wheel here.  It's long overdue.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Until Terry or Josh get fed up enough to make a statement or action, this routine with McDermott will continue indefinitely.  Josh will ball out and get us in the playoffs.  We'll beat some wild card team. Then we'll watch our defense get destroyed in the division round to either Mahomes, Burrow or Lamar.  There's literally days when I think Sean not only wants Josh to be Superman on offense but also play every position on defense. 

• Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

It’s easy to see who read this article and who just crapped  out the same tired “it’s just Dunne hating on McD” responses.

its a well made argument by Dunne.  If you don’t agree with it, come up with an equally well argued counter.  

Pegula is checked out.  Happy to have one of his teams at least having national relevance while the other wallows in mud. Hes got his stadium coming and rabid fans—enough of whom think it’s fine to rack up regular season wins and get bounced in the playoffs (“remember the drought???!!”)  The money prints itself either way.  Laugh at Jerry Jones all you want, but it’s clear he agonizes over the misfortunes of his team when it consistently comes up short in the post season.  

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I was a person who said mid-season that the Bills should turn the page from McDermott.

I can't sit here and say that I 100% changed my mind on that, or that I'm fully confident McDermott should be the guy moving forward.

But I would be remiss not to mention this:

From the bye week onward, and really from the publishing of the first Ty Dunne article onward, I thought McDermott improved dramatically. He fired his offensive coordinator midseason and replace him with a guy who, by most accounts, was better equipped for the job. He did a deep dive on his own defense over the bye week and came back with more aggressiveness, disguise, and variety, and the unit improved dramatically. He started coaching with more aggressiveness in his gameday decision making, routinely going for it on 4th down on his own side of the field and early in games. He started being more aggressive in his end-of-game decision making and defensive play calling. In short, he improved on almost all of the areas about which myself and others had concerns about him.

On top of all of that, his players rallied around him and won five straight games to secure the two-seed, then won a playoff game and almost won another. I thought the way the players backed him up when the chips were down spoke volumes. Rallying to the two-seed after the way the season started also spoke volumes.

All of this is to say that McDermott has reached a point where I no longer watch him on game day and think "he has to go. He can't get the job done. It's time to move on". From about the bye week onward, his decision making and his coaching were impressive to me, as were the results on the field. Even in the Chiefs playoff game, it's hard to say with a straight face that McDermott was the reason we lost. 

It's all a moot point anyway, because McDermott will be the coach in 2024. But I, for one, am no longer in the "he needs to be shown the door immediately" camp. With the way he improved the second half of the season and into the playoffs, and the way the players still seem to buy into his coaching and his culture, he has indisputably earned himself another season at the helm of the Buffalo Bills. If the Bills give up 30 and lose in the Divisional round again next season, we can re-visit the topic.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm not missing anything 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I know Dunne used a lot of interviews for his other article, but that last paragraph is funny when McD literally said he believes passing is the key to an effective offense…. He just wants to prove a point.  

Beane and Diggs addressed the offensive line this year, and made Allen the most protected qb in the league.  Drafted Kincaid.  I understand Davis wasn’t what he wanted him to be, but Dunne is trying to push opinion very heavily.  And, to use the drought as a way to make a statement that denounces our ability to understand the nuance between the drought years and now is just offensive.

Shortly after that quote he wrote:

McDermott later said that he believes you “throw to win” in this league. Encouraging. We’ll see which actions match which words one year from now. This team can only be judged in the playoffs.

So he acknowledged what McDermott said and admits it’s encouraging. 

1 minute ago, Cray51 said:

McD said he believes passing is key and I don't believe a word of it.  I would love to hear what DaBoll & Dorsey have to say about that.

The O line improved primarily because Brown got better and the Bills got rid of the worst guard in the NFL (Saffold).  A guard that Bean and company thought would be enough in 2022.  And I'm not convinced that without Allen's unique ability to escape pressure the O line would have looked so good.

People can hate on Dunne all they want, I am not familiar with his work beyond this latest stuff.  But IMO he is speaking the truth and saying what needs to be said.  I live in Cincinnati where for years some fans kept saying they had to move beyond Marvin Lewis.  But Lewis had raised the Bengals from the pit of despair to being a perennial playoff team.  That they didn't win any playoff games didn't seem to phase the Lewis supporters who demonized Bengal fans who wanted him gone.  The ONLY difference I see between Lewis ad McD is that McD has a much better QB so he actually wins some playoff games.

If we stick with McD the farthest the Bills will advance is the Divisional Playoff Round. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Ohh I know that, but I'm not blaming him this time... our defense was ravaged and finally couldn't overcome a two time Super Bowl champion.

That’s bull####. We basically see the Chiefs twice a year, McD is suppose to be a defensive guru and nothing has changed in January when its win or go home. Bills fork so much resources into that D that the injury excuse is total bull####. He started LBer that wasn’t on the team two weeks ago and spent most of the year on PS over a young player who was active every ***** week. That ***** just does not make sense. And the Kelce first TD where he was wide open it looked a lot like it was Kleins fault

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.