Beane & McDermott end of season press conferences

Process

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

he took credit for firing Dorsey. that's not how it went down. i had been sitting on this because of how i found out. but he was not the one to push Dorsey out. remember that team meeting? the players voted him out.

Even if that is the case, I'm not sure why you're mad at McDermott saying he fired him, there's no way in hell he's putting that out there, it's an awful look for Dorsey and the team, and the players probably don't want to put that on Dorsey either.

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

How is this not Dick Jauron all over again? He basically just said “it’s hard to win in the NFL.” 

He’s literally Dick with an elite QB. 

I've said this for years and been flamed for it.

Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan would have taken this team to at least one superbowl by now. Won't go as far to say win it but they were/are upgrades with a QB like Josh Allen.

And before people brush this off remember that both have won road playoff games (something McD has never done) and both have been to at least one AFCCG which is the same career highlight as McD. They also did this with Blake Bortles and Mark Sanchez as their respective starting QB's.

Edited by FilthyBeast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Reading between the lines this is what I came up with:

-McDermott will still call the defense

-Joe Brady will be OC

- Special Teams Coach will stay

- Sherfield and Harty were misses in free agency

- Tre White and Von Miller will be back

- Elam time here is all but over

- Resigning Daquan Jones is a priority 

-Beane regrets not having enough LB depth

- Don’t expect big splashes in free agency

- Micah Hyde will be gone

- They need a playmaker opposite Diggs

Edited by BillMafia716ix
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, beer can shower said:

Both McDermott and Beane have no choice but to not criticize Bass because they signed him to that large contract and big cap hit if they let him go.

(I am not criticizing Bass)

Go ahead and criticize Bass.

He was 2 for 5 in the playoffs and missed the game tying FG!

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I watched Josh last night.

This is going to come out wrong and be taken to mean what I’m not intending but:

He seemed too chill about losing. He said the right things. He gave the right answers. He wasn’t happy but he seemed resigned to it. Like a beaten person.

Remember the anger on here for Mahomes’ act after the first loss. It KILLED him to lose against Josh/Bills in the end of a close game. He wasn’t supposed to lose!  Mahomes and Kelcie and Reid were NOT losing this game. 

I think Josh is at the point of, What else can I do. Record breaking performances and they still beat us.

Edit: End of season presser 

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/rKGcqqMvvawzxE8v/?mibextid=WC7FNe

I can’t stomach to watch McDermott word drool into a mic. A pox on him and his process.

There's nothing else Allen can do. Mahomes benefits from great coaches and teammates who make plays when it matters most. Allen doesn't have that benefit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So at least we know they are actively going to focus on finding better WRs this offseason.

All of this makes me laugh.  After the Divisional Round last year, Beane went to the podium and talked about how Cincinnati could draft JaMarr Chase because Burrow got hurt as a rookie.  

Right now, I take nothing they say (particularly given the timing) at face value.  They know the audience is unhappy and media availability is to signal to players certain messages and placate the disappointed fans. 

21 minutes ago, boyst said:

this is big. Beane is so much better for press conferences and seems more like a coach than GM.

McDermott flat out lied in his presser, too. which pisses me off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I watched Josh last night.

This is going to come out wrong and be taken to mean what I’m not intending but:

He seemed too chill about losing. He said the right things. He gave the right answers. He wasn’t happy but he seemed resigned to it. Like a beaten person.

Remember the anger on here for Mahomes’ act after the first loss. It KILLED him to lose against Josh/Bills in the end of a close game. He wasn’t supposed to lose!  Mahomes and Kelcie and Reid were NOT losing this game. 

I think Josh is at the point of, What else can I do. Record breaking performances and they still beat us.

Edit: End of season presser 

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/rKGcqqMvvawzxE8v/?mibextid=WC7FNe

I can’t stomach to watch McDermott word drool into a mic. A pox on him and his process.

Above is your original post...notice the bolded

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Again

I couldn’t/didn’t watch the post game pressers because of my own pain.

I am not accusing Josh of not caring. I am suggesting that he is starting to build an immunity to it due to recurring contact with it. He has carried the Bills for four seasons now, squarely on his shoulders. People( not me) are complaining he didn’t hit Diggs at the end instead of throwing it into the EZ. Have him and Mahomes switch places for that game and KC wins going away because Mahomes isn’t getting us those first downs and TDs with his legs by bullrushing.

I blame this on Coaching!!!!

He is making various mediocre coaches look more capable than they are. 

In the bolded you just replied with here you seem to be contradicting your original post and now saying you didn't watch the post game presser.  So I don't get it, when was Allen "chill about losing"..."saying the right things"..."giving the right answers"..."wasn't happy but resigned to it"..."like a beaten person"...if it wasn't in his presser you now say you didn't watch?  

I don't disagree that there shouldn't be a concern with major disappointing losses starting to become a culture and affecting the players to where they get almost numb to it. Heck I am practically numb to it at this point.  All of our playoff losses have been hard to take going all the way back to Houston even.  

BUT...I don't know how you can say you saw any of that with Josh, especially now if you claim you didn't watch the press conference despite alluding to watching it in your first post.  The one player on this team you don't have to worry about is Josh.  He wants it as bad as any Bills fan and hurst just as much when they don't get it done.  And you can see how hard he was taking it to in the press conference you may or may not have watched.  I have all the confidence in the world in Josh's mentality and coming back as committed and focused as he always has been to winning the Super Bowl here.  

I just keep thinking about 'continuity' and the idea that this regime deserves to be here no matter what but then I look at a team like the Texans who picked #2 overall in the draft last year because they were terrible and then just one year later with a rookie head coach and QB had the same exact success and Beane and McDivisionals Bills.....a division title and losing in the divisional round.

So again, what am I missing here....or more importantly what is Terry Pegula missing seeing other teams do this year after year so quickly?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Even if that is the case, I'm not sure why you're mad at McDermott saying he fired him, there's no way in hell he's putting that out there, it's an awful look for Dorsey and the team, and the players probably don't want to put that on Dorsey either.

Right.  Plus, it’s still ultimately McD’s call.  Unless @boyst is saying the players took it to Pegula, and Pegula told McD that Dorsey had to go.  At the same time, does this mean McD/Pegula waited until after the Denver game to actually pull the trigger on what the players voted for?

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't disregard the worth of a WR who has good separation skills.  I do disagree with the 1 or 2 jump ball catches 40 yards down field.

I'm not talking about a high dollar 1,000-yard guy per year needed here.  But nothing will change my mind that of the 4 WRs playing on

gameday that having this option is not needed.

No one, even Josh, knows how that could benefit the team.  He has never had one.

The Bills have the separation guy in Diggs.  Shakir can still develop what he is good at, and Kincaid can get a ball but will never have the

speed needed to stretch the field they way that is needed.

I wouldn't say he has never had one though to be honest...Diggs was the number 1 deep ball WR in the NFL when we traded for him.  He may not be big, but he played big.  Then Davis has been a big target for him too.  

But Davis gets back to my original point where as I would rather have someone who consistently gets separation and always catches the ball then just a guy who has some occassional big jump balls.  Davis only value was really on those straight line deep balls, and because of that he would disappear or barely factor in most games and then have a couple big games where he had those big downfield catches for TD's.  

Again, don't disagree it would be nice, I just don't want another Davis...if we bring some big target in, they need to be more reliable than Davis was.  

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's slim pickins, for sure. A couple of us did some digging in a previous thread. Best outside candidate I can come up with is maybe Klint Kubiak.

Have to imagine that with offensive coaches seemingly being favorites to get new head coaching jobs, working for a defensive coach could be appealing as you will be given more say and control 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Would it make you feel better if he was yelling and pounding the table?  C’mon, they DID get eliminated- like 31 other teams.  The idea that it is win the Super Bowl else season is a total failure is talk-show induced bs.  Yeah, we wanted them to win. Fans of all 32 teams want their team to win.

president speaker GIF

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

There's nothing else Allen can do. Mahomes benefits from great coaches and teammates who make plays when it matters most. Allen doesn't have that benefit.

It's so demoralizing because some of it goes even beyond the coaching..

Chiefs WR's were terrible all year.  Playoffs come along and MVS is making contested catches 30 yards down the field with our All-Pro Corner draped all over him.

Meanwhile, Diggs drops what would have been an all-time iconic throw from Allen, mid-4th Quarter, down 3.

I mean, what can we even say... 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

7 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Right now, I take nothing they say (particularly given the timing) at face value.  They know the audience is unhappy and media availability is to signal to players certain messages and placate the disappointed fans. 

Beane to his credit really doesn't lie though. He is possibly the most honest GM in the NFL. When he makes it a point to say he wants to find better offensive weapons I believe him. Whether he actually executes that goal is another conversation.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Sure - I mean some people are going to get unhinged with the Diggs is #1 comment but that is just Beane being smart.  Say something positive about the guy in front of the caneras - that doesn't mean you don't still go looking for someone better

Agreed. Diggs is going to be back next season no matter what, so gotta hype him up. Same goes for Bass.

• Vomit 1

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I just keep thinking about 'continuity' and the idea that this regime deserves to be here no matter what but then I look at a team like the Texans who picked #2 overall in the draft last year because they were terrible and then just one year later with a rookie head coach and QB had the same exact success and Beane and McDivisionals Bills.....a division title and losing in the divisional round.

So again, what am I missing here....or more importantly what is Terry Pegula missing seeing other teams do this year after year so quickly?

After the Chiefs game I gave "amnesty" to ALL ignored posters on my list.  I can see you will be back on it soon.

For every "Texans" quick turnaround there are a dozen teams that don't.  I do remember posts of yours, very recently, touted teams

like the Chargers being so much better run and coached that the Bills. 

How did that work out for you?  Go and post on the fish boards.

You are a troll.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean I get the want, and it would be nice, but its also not as important as people make it out to be.  WR's who have great hands and get great separation are more reliable and impact the game more than a guy who can catch 1 or 2 jump balls.  

Plus, Josh has a big go up and get it target in Kincaid, so for me, I would rather see us get a guy who can help stretch the field and be a true deep threat than just a big guy.  And if that stretch the field guy also happens to be big, then even better, but I want guys who consistently get open and catch the ball and not drop it more than I want size.  

Don't get me wrong, I am not against adding size at all, just don't want to force size over someone who may be a better overall WR at catching and getting open.

We need a Tee Higgins type of clone.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I wouldn't say he has never had one though to be honest...Diggs was the number 1 deep ball WR in the NFL when we traded for him.  He may not be big, but he played big.  Then Davis has been a big target for him too.  

But Davis gets back to my original point where as I would rather have someone who consistently gets separation and always catches the ball then just a guy who has some occassional big jump balls.  Davis only value was really on those straight line deep balls, and because of that he would disappear or barely factor in most games and then have a couple big games where he had those big downfield catches for TD's.  

Again, don't disagree it would be nice, I just don't want another Davis...if we bring some big target in, they need to be more reliable than Davis was.  

First off, thanks for being open to my opinion, even if you see it differently.

Diggs is still a deep threat, just not the "type" WR I'm talking about.

I will admit there was a time when I thought Davis could fill that role, but it never materialized.

We (at least most) Bills fans want 2 new outside WRs this coming season.  I already said what I think one should be, the other is a speedy

guy with separation skills.  Maybe we can compromise on that!  LOL.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I was pleased to hear McDermott admit that passing is how win,  still need to run the ball but it's about passing the ball.

Weird that he said that since they've run the ball more the last half of the season.  Also, lot of running plays and plays behind the line of scrimage Sunday.  

Not going after you with this reply.  Just pointing out the contradiction.  Maybe he figured this out after the loss.  Let's see what he does next year.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, phypon said:

Weird that he said that since they've run the ball more the last half of the season.  Also, lot of running plays and plays behind the line of scrimage Sunday.  

Not going after you with this reply.  Just pointing out the contradiction.  Maybe he figured this out after the loss.  Let's see what he does next year.

Davis, Sherfield and Harty were not the answers.  Have to reload at get the right WRs this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This reminds me of the end of the year presser with Kevyn Adams and Granato last season.  No commitment to any type of improvement.

Going to be difficult to even care next year.  I would rather they strip it down and absolutely suck next year then continue on this continued patch work because of the salary cap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

After the Chiefs game I gave "amnesty" to ALL ignored posters on my list.  I can see you will be back on it soon.

For every "Texans" quick turnaround there are a dozen teams that don't.  I do remember posts of yours, very recently, touted teams

like the Chargers being so much better run and coached that the Bills. 

How did that work out for you?  Go and post on the fish boards.

You are a troll.

Valid point. He's cherry picking for sure. However, it's extremely disappointing that the Bills have lost three straight divisional round playoffs games. Two of which were at home. 

Something has to change because I don't think any Bills fans are happy with this. 

With respect, I ask what's going to be different year? What makes you think the Bills will advance to at least the AFC Championship game? 

Miami gave the Bills all they could handle. Cinci with a healthy Burrow seems to be a poor matchup for Buffalo. KC seemingly owns the Bills.

I expect another playoff appearance for Buffalo but beyond that I have some serious doubts. 

Am I on that list? 

• Like (+1) 4

46 minutes ago, boyst said:

McDermott flat out lied in his presser, too. which pisses me off.

I know what you told me (about Dorsey) and I don't think what McD says constitutes a "lie"...I don't think he can tell the press something like that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Davis, Sherfield and Harty were not the answers.  Have to reload at get the right WRs this year.

Imo, Beane's biggest offseason mistake was to not sign DHop. He just had to do the required capology to make the $$s work.

If we had him, I truly believe this season would have gone much differently and we would be very much alive. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Valid point. He's cherry picking for sure. However, it's extremely disappointing that the Bills have lost three straight divisional round playoffs games. Two of which were at home. 

Something has to change because I don't think any Bills fans are happy with this. 

With respect, I ask what's going to be different year? What makes you think the Bills will advance to at least the AFC Championship game? 

Miami gave the Bills all they could handle. Cinci with a healthy Burrow seems to be a poor matchup for Buffalo. KC seemingly owns the Bills.

I expect another playoff appearance for Buffalo but beyond that I have some serious doubts. 

Am I on that list? 

I don't know what will happen this offseason.  I started a thread about it.  I'm just a fan with my feelings.  It's always tough when you are

the one who has to make the decisions.

I'll watch what happens, give my opinion and watch the games next season.  I've been doing that for a long, long, long time.

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Imo, Beane's biggest offseason mistake was to not sign DHop. He just had to do the required capology to make the $$s work.

If we had him, I truly believe this season would have gone much differently and we would be very much alive. 

While I would have been fine with that, I admit I wasn't one of you guys "pounding the table" for it.

After seeing the way the season ended with the WR situation, I'm thinking I was wrong.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Am I on that list? 

The thing is, of course we're all happy with the success this team has, but with Josh Allen everyone knows you have to get a Super Bowl(s).

And when we keep bowing out in the Divisional Round, that means we're drafting mid 20's every year.  

Where's Cinci drafting this year?  

We were able to jump Dallas for Kincaid, and they then took Mazi Smith.  Kincaid looks like a future elite TE.  Mazi Smith looks like a JAG.

KC jumped us for McDuffie.  McDuffie is a top tier CB.  We took Elam.  Still don't know if he's anything heading into Year 3. 

Draft position matters.  In back to back years, our first round picks have been getting an elite guy because we got ahead of Dallas and losing an elite guy because KC got ahead of us. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

First off, thanks for being open to my opinion, even if you see it differently.

Diggs is still a deep threat, just not the "type" WR I'm talking about.

I will admit there was a time when I thought Davis could fill that role, but it never materialized.

We (at least most) Bills fans want 2 new outside WRs this coming season.  I already said what I think one should be, the other is a speedy

guy with separation skills.  Maybe we can compromise on that!  LOL.

Ha, I am more than open to your opinion, I would love a big awesome WR too.  My only slight tweak was I don't want to get a guy just because he is big who has some of the issues Davis has which is too one dimensional and not reliable enough.  

As I mentioned before, I said it on draft night and its only proved true so far, that Chargers were dumb for taking Quentin or Jordan.  Don't force size is all I am really saying, I would rather have the better player than the bigger player if that makes sense.  

Plus Diggs is 31 this next season, we need a succession plan.  So for me, I want to see them go get a guy who has WR1 potential rather than a guy who just compliments a WR1 like Digss with size.  Hopefully, that WR1 also brings size to the table too though :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

This reminds me of the end of the year presser with Kevyn Adams and Granato last season.  No commitment to any type of improvement.

Going to be difficult to even care next year.  I would rather they strip it down and absolutely suck next year then continue on this continued patch work because of the salary cap.

I disagree here. As a diehard Bills fan I always care. Frustrated and disappointed lingers in my heart and mind as this team continues to scar it's fans. 

I don't think the Bills need a tear or strip down. They are obviously in the top echolon of the league. 

There needs to be improvements made and player development vis the draft and free agency. Hopefully, the team can improve with better results. 

That kind of thinking and optimism has been in play for years now. The results have been disappointing. Hard to do back flips running it back with the same people making the critical decisions. 

I would feel better with a coaching change, different offensive scheme, new leadership, and a refreshing change of scenery. 

8 minutes ago, eball said:

I know what you told me (about Dorsey) and I don't think what McD says constitutes a "lie"...I don't think he can tell the press something like that.

He wasn't exactly honest with his answer about 13 seconds. I would have respected him more if he just said " I F'd up." After that, I lost a lot of respect for him as a coach, a leader, and a man of character. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Plus Diggs is 31 this next season, we need a succession plan.  So for me, I want to see them go get a guy who has WR1 potential rather than a guy who just compliments a WR1 like Digss with size.  Hopefully, that WR1 also brings size to the table too though :)

That's why it is critical and important to draft a WR with our top pick. I don't care if they overdraft by a couple of positions if a good one is available. The rookie will be the heir apparent to Diggs after 2025. 

But we will need at least one other vet to round off the mid to bottom of the WR roster. 

I dearly hope that Harty and Sherfield never again wear a Bills uniform. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.