Heavy Kevi

Should the Bills Fire McDermott?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Fire McDermott?

• Yep. Too many bad losses and bad coaching in the playoffs
    • Heck No. Playoffs year after year, and we're one of the best teams on NFL

8 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

And Harbaugh would take this job in an instant

The coaches available this offseason (Belichick, Harbaugh, Ben Johnson, Slowik) are too good to keep McD around, and we have what would be the most attractive HC opening in years.

I would take Vrabel at this point.

29 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Question for Terry Pegula to think about: Why are the Bills 3-1 against the Chiefs in the regular season but 0-3 in the postseason? Sitting available right here right now is Jim Harbaugh. You can do it if you want to.

Preach! 

30 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Question for Terry Pegula to think about: Why are the Bills 3-1 against the Chiefs in the regular season but 0-3 in the postseason? Sitting available right here right now is Jim Harbaugh. You can do it if you want to.

Because Reid prioritizes postseason ovr regular season. Things magnify in the playoffs. 

Reid owns Brady in the regular season. Yet, Brady gets him in the postseason. Every single time. 

Playoffs are a different animal. 

And Terry is maybe fearful that the replacement of McD could be worse. 

Edited by Billsfanatic8989

10 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Yes McDermott made Bass 25% in the playoffs.   Think about that 25% has a kicker ever had a worse playoffs?

And still it's McDermott...God people.

It's McDermotts assinine zone defense that can't stop anything every year in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott is the problem. As much as I appreciate everything he has done, as others have said, he will never win a Super Bowl. There are too many situational things that fall through the cracks. It's how Andy Reid was early in his career until he got fired and made adjustments. A couple of situations stand out to me from yesterday that just really bothered me... 

In the locker room, Spencer Brown was asked about the plan for clock management, etc at the end of the game and he said none of that information was relayed to them. To me, that is unconscionable. As a head coach, why aren't you talking to your team about what the plan is? Does your OC know the plan? Why are they just blindly running plays? Is it because McDermott didn't have a plan, or did he figure the team would figure it out on their own, or does he not want to share it with them...Was the plan to just score with no regard for the clock? That is elementary thinking. 

In Bass's post-game interview, he talked about how he didn't adjust enough for the wind and should have aimed more for the left upright from the hash. McDermott said he was concerned that Bass's kicks were going right the whole game. Was this discussed with Bass? Did the special teams coach talk to Bass about that adjustment on the sideline? Or did they just expect Bass, Martin, and Ferguson to figure it out on their own? This all could have been corrected with conversations and adjustments, but it feels like none of this happened. The players need help from the coaches and I don't think they are getting it. 

Guys like Parcells and Belichick were great because they hammered situational awareness and were massive control freaks. They micromanaged everything that happened in a game, and that is why these dumb things didn't happen to them. That's why they make other teams look so stupid all of the time. That is just a part of it, but they all need to do a better job communicating information with the players and that starts from the top. We all made fun of the Chargers and Brandon Staley, McDermott is just one notch above Staley in terms of his situational awareness. I know he will be back, but I can without a doubt that I don't think that he should. 

I have come around to the offensive weapons world. Just surround Josh with speed and great players and make Kincaid the focal point of your offense. Forget about the defense. This team should be trying to score 60 every game. 

8 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

And Terry is maybe fearful that the replacement of McD could be worse. 

This is probably 100% true. And Terry is wrong. This team will be fine with whoever the coach winds up being because of Josh Allen. That is all they have and he is what makes the train go. Terry is doing him and the city a disservice if he isn't trying to get the best possible coaches in here to maximize Josh. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Look at it through the eyes of the fans.  Who else on this board hope the Dolphins give Tua a contract and hang onto Mike McDaniel as coach?  All of us?  Why is that?

Who else is a little worried that the Chargers finally fired Staley?  Most of us?  Why?

I guarantee that Chiefs fans would like nothing more than for us to give McDermott a few more years to “figure it out”.

Because much like McDaniels to us….hes harmless to them.  A minor speed bump on their way through the playoffs.

Every chiefs fan in the world hopes we run it back.  Squander another year of Allen

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Governor said:

This is what I’ve been yelling about for weeks. Game ending drives when he wants to kill clock BUT we still need to score.

This is the core problem "complimentary football" has become Billsspeak for "all hands on deck to make the defense look better than it is"

9 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

McDermott’s playoff record against teams seeded 5-7 is 5-0. His playoff record against teams seeded 1-4 is 0-6

Govenor's observation is the main reason for the statistic posted by BarleyNY.

Edited by Chaos

It's like having to put a dog to sleep.  It's the hardest decision to make.  At the end of the day though it's the best decision.  McDermott is that loyal fun loving lab that can't get up by itself anymore.  Hard as hell but it's time.  

• Like (+1) 2

Team loss.

The offense was dominant on the ground much of the game, which was without question the right game plan. But then our passing game caught Chiefs-itis and couldn't catch the ball when the Chiefs put 9 in the box. We had 0 big plays. Just couldn't execute a full 60. Couldn't score enough.

The defense was decimated. Just not enough talent left with all the injuries. Holding Mahomes to 27 was actually a heroic effort considering.

Special teams is obvious. Blown field goal to tie it. Blown fake punt that was a nearly fatal error.

I'd like to blame the coaches for this one, but the game plan was good. They made adjustments. They kept us in a game against a great team led by possibly the greatest playoff QB of all time. This one is on the players and the execution.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I have been in the “fire McDermott” camp since last year’s playoff loss. 

Bit the turnaround this team made after falling to 6-6 was nothing short of remarkable. 

I am also normally the LAST person to make excuses … especially injuries. 

Every team is dealing with injuries in January. 

But this team had NO ONE defending the middle of the field against the most prolific QB/pass catcher duo in NFL history. I thought holding them to 27 was admirable. 

Like I said, I we could upgrade, I’d be all for it.  

I’m still not a McDermott fan. 

I simply don’t put this loss on him, that’s all. 

I'm with you, I thought McD should go after all the inexcusable losses this season, but these last 7 games it's been clear that these guys will play their hearts out for him, and "next man up" (which sounds like most of the meaningless BS that comes out of his mouth) may actually be a THING

I wish it were that easy. Once again it’s the players failing to make the plays. Bills need a little mini rebuild at the top of the roster. These players aren’t good enough to beat KC. 

Poyer, Hyde, and Diggs haven’t showed up in these big playoff games. Time to move on with younger more athletic versions. White cant stay on the field. We need his cap space. It’s time.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

There is one major story that I hope makes it out this week that will make everyone realize is a nail in the coffin for McDermott. It is not my place to share this but it will show everyone that McDermott is not the leader of this team that he needs to be.

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Angry 1

5 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Many great coaches have used ball control to keep a potent offense on the sidelines.   Do you remember super bowl 25?

The big difference is in Super Bowl 25 the Giants had a much worse offense, so that was the correct strategy. Shorten the game, limit possessions and hope they can get a couple plays to come away with the win.

We have the 2nd best QB in the league, and the best intermediate passer in the league. They should be coming up with creative ways to get those kinds of plays available. We shouldn’t be trying to limit possessions, we should be trying to get as many possessions as possible.

Handicapping ourselves to keep the other team’s offense off the field is not playing to our strengths/advantage.

You have Jim Harbaugh and Bill Belichick on the market ... 2 straight Divisional Round HOME PLAYOFF LOSSES should be enough to fire McDermott ... but apparently, the billionaire owners just don't care enough about winning and want to keep trying the same thing over and over and over again (ie insanity).

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

There is one major story that I hope makes it out this week that everyone should realize is a nail in the coffin for McDermott. It is not my place to share this but it will show everyone that McDermott is not the leader of this team that he needs to be.

Color me intrigued.  

• Agree 1

I'm not on the fire McDermott train yet, but I will say if they don't greatly improve the offensive players this off season (like better wide receivers) I'll definitely jump on that train. Allen is a beast, and they're handicapping him with the offensive weapons they're giving him. Harty and sherfield were absolute busts this season. Shakir and kinkaid were really the 2 bright spots. Who knows with Diggs. They need to invest heavily in the offense this off season 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd take: Belichick, Harbaugh, Vrabel or Ben Johnson. Bills would probably have their pick outside of Harbaugh.

I think McDermott is a good coach but not a great one.

-I think the first time the Bills played the Chiefs in AFC Championship game he played scared. 

-I think he cost the Bills the game in 13 seconds. Shouldn't have kicked it out of the endzone but even if Frazier calls the defense you are the HC. You see the Bills are defending the sideline when the Chiefs realistically only had 2 plays and had 2 TOs. Bills should have had 1 player rushing and gone in a complete shell zone with the other 10 players.

-Bills defense was unable to stop the Bengals rushing attack

-Bills got exactly one stop against Mahomes. Bills got lucky with a fumble out of the endzone but you ultimately trust Bass to kick a 44 yard FG when he barely got the 30 yarder earlier. 

I saw the Dolphins put up a better fight on defense last week against the Chiefs. I saw Belichick with players off the street play well against the Bills. I'm tired of the injury excuse. I'm tired of wasting the years of the best player in Franchise history. This feels like Hasek with the Sabres. You have a freak player that can dominate but can't win because of the team and coach. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years Allen requests a trade. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, boyst said:

There is one major story that I hope makes it out this week that will make everyone realize is a nail in the coffin for McDermott. It is not my place to share this but it will show everyone that McDermott is not the leader of this team that he needs to be.

Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it.  However, a thousand curses on your shoe laces because now I have to get band-aids for my F5 finger (yells at cloud)

No, we're not.

To date, McDermott is another Marty Schottenheimer ..  great regular season; under performs in the playoffs.

I'm no McDermott fan, but there is no guarantee that if we fire him that the next HC is better. Get a better OC and better WRs 

11 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Yes McDermott made Bass 25% in the playoffs.   Think about that 25% has a kicker ever had a worse playoffs?

Whose decision is it to keep Bass & still have confidence in him

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, phypon said:

Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it.  However, a thousand curses on your shoe laces because now I have to get band-aids for my F5 finger (yells at cloud)

it won't make it out, unfortunately. our chicken shiz local media don't have the balls and national media doesn't care enough to dig into it.

Like I said before though, if "you can't fire the coach that gets you to the playoffs" then McDermott will be here for Allen's entire career. 

If (God forbid) Allen misses games and they miss the playoffs, well then you can't blame McDermott: Allen was out. 

So we go on and on with mediocrity.

I just wish our defense was nasty. Ravens defense is nasty. Ours, even at full strength, doesn't seem like that. They're good, but consistently come up short against top teams in the playoffs, and that's with Milano, White, and co. healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Like I said before though, if "you can't fire the coach that gets you to the playoffs" then McDermott will be here for Allen's entire career. 

If (God forbid) Allen misses games and they miss the playoffs, well then you can't blame McDermott: Allen was out. 

So we go on and on with mediocrity.

I just wish our defense was nasty. Ravens defense is nasty. Ours, even at full strength, doesn't seem like that. They're good, but consistently come up short against top teams in the playoffs, and that's with Milano, White, and co. healthy. 

I agree. Allen is the whole reason that they are in the playoffs. That's why I make the change. There is zero risk to making a coaching change as long as you have Josh.  

In terms of scheme, this is a bend but don't break defense, trying to keep you from making big plays. It's Dick Jauron zone stuff, which hasn't won a Super Bowl since Dungy's Colts. The last two zone dominant type teams to win a Super Bowl were the Seahawks and the 2017 Eagles led by Jim Schwartz. Those teams had dominant pass rushers and secondary guys. The Ravens are in your face, pressman, line stunts, and totally in your face. They somehow kept finding linemen who disrupt and have changed DCs multiple times and kept it going. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Josh Allen played a fantastic game, but he had the ball in his hands at the end and botched it as bad as Bass botched the field goal. 

This wasn't on the decimated defense who gave us an opportunity to win with two huge stops and put the ball in Josh's hands to end the game. 

The fire McDermott stuff is so dumb.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s up to you! 

It's not my place and would directly out my source, unfortunately. I simply cannot. 

23 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

is Pegula aware of it? 

I would imagine so. Can't believe he wouldn't know. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Josh Allen played a fantastic game, but he had the ball in his hands at the end and botched it as bad as Bass botched the field goal. 

This wasn't on the decimated defense who gave us an opportunity to win with two huge stops and put the ball in Josh's hands to end the game. 

The fire McDermott stuff is so dumb.

Talk about dumb stuff! Jeez

11 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

>9.5 yards per play.

5 third downs all game.

9 plays of 20 yards or more. 

a HORRENDOUS fake punt. 

Still not McDermott? God people

Edited by warrior9

If not McD - They better fire the special teams coach. We need to hire an OC, Brady did an admiral job but he is not the answer. If they believe in him, give him nice title to keep him. Take a look at other coaches that are due for a change. But honestly I don’t know if things change without a change at the top. It’s the little things that make some teams good and others great. A new regime could be what gets you there.  

16 minutes ago, boyst said:

It's not my place and would directly out my source, unfortunately. I simply cannot. 

I would imagine so. Can't believe he wouldn't know. 

Well, IF the report of a mystery team being interested in Belichick but not having an opening is true maybe Pegula would do that.

To be clear, I would rather have Harbaugh but we're stuck right now. With Allen McDermott will always win enough games that "you can't fire the coach!" 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.