Ron Rivera for Bills DC?

kota

just saw that Ron Rivera is interested in coaching still and how he missed coaching on a granular level when he took over for Jack Del Rio who was fired mid season.  He also stated he has a few opportunities available.

I think this is a bit interesting.  

• Vomit 5
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

3 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

McD deserves the option to bring in who he wants or if he wants to stay DC. 

I love how fast , aggressive and intense this D has been as opposed to the laid back Frazier 

McD isn’t really safe yet. He has to beat KC at home or all hell is gonna break loose.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 6
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Disagree 13
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

This is tough.   I want him on the hot seat but with our injuries...it'd be unfair to fire him.

He used injuries as his excuse last season. At some point it is what it is.

It would be 4 years of losses, 2 years with no improvement.

This is the biggest game of his career so far. It would also depend on how we lost. We’d be getting into Marvin Lewis territory. 

Don’t blow it!

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

McD should keep the play calling duties.  It's been elite level despite a comical amount of injuries.

54 minutes ago, Governor said:

McD isn’t really safe yet. He has to beat KC at home or all hell is gonna break loose.

Unless he publicly endorses Hamas or something, he's as safe as any coach in the league.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Governor said:

He's only not "safe" amongst a portion of posters on here who don't live in reality. The same kind of posters who honestly thought Matt Araiza coming back in the Playoffs was a real possibility.

Truth is he always has had a secure position. Even if we missed the playoffs, by all accounts, he was going to be given another year.

The only real chance of a switch would have been if he lost the team and Josh said he didn't want to play under him anymore. Instead, the team rallied around him after the Ty Dunne hit piece and support him now more than ever.

After 6 straight wins, another division title, and another Playoff win - he's 1000% not going anywhere after this season. You can hope otherwise, but it doesn't matter. It's not happening. Regardless of whether we win or lose against KC.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe in your mind and the mind of some fans. He is safe in the Pegulas mind.

Tremaine Edmunds “Truthers” often spoke in absolutes too.  Truth is, we have no idea what Terry thinks or what he would think if the unthinkable happened.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Governor said:

Tremaine Edmunds “Truthers” often spoke in absolutes too.  Truth is, we have no idea what Terry thinks or what he would think if the unthinkable happened.

I was not a Tremaine Edmunds truther whatever one of those is. But that is irrelevant to this conversation. McDermott is not getting fired. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, QCity said:

He's safe. He's always been safe.

Rightly or wrongly, anyone who thinks McDermott is anywhere near the hot seat is either:

- Completely delusional in understanding his job safety with the Bills as a coach

or

- Has it in for McDermott and wishes for him to be replaced.

He’s not going anywhere, Pegula loves the relationship with McD, he trusts him and is very comfortable working with him, not to mention that McD has taken the Bills to the playoffs 5 out of 6 years and has won the division 4 straight years.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He's only not "safe" amongst a portion of posters on here who don't live in reality. The same kind of posters who thought Matt Araiza was going to come back in the Playoffs.

Truth is he always has had a secure position. Even if we missed the playoffs, by all accounts, he was going to be given another year.

The only real chance of a switch would have been if he lost the team and Josh said he didn't want to play under him anymore. Instead, the team rallied around him after the Ty Dunne hit piece and support him more than ever.

After 6 straight wins, another division title, and another Playoff win - he's 1000% not going anywhere after this season. You can hope otherwise, but it doesn't matter. It's not happening.

The only way he was getting fired here this year is if, from 6-6, the team quit on him and collapsed down the stretch. If we'd finished 6-11 instead of 11-6 and it looked like he had lost the locker room then all bets would have been off. But that didn't happen. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He's only not "safe" amongst a portion of posters on here who don't live in reality. The same kind of posters who thought Matt Araiza was going to come back in the Playoffs.

The only real chance of a switch would have been if he lost the team and Josh said he didn't want to play under him anymore. Instead, the team rallied around him after the Ty Dunne hit piece and support him more than ever.

After 6 straight wins, another division title, and another Playoff win - he's 1000% not going anywhere after this season. You can hope otherwise, but it doesn't matter. It's not happening.

The mentality of the 'fire McDermott' crowd is beyond stupid.

I guess if a team doesn't win the Superbowl within 5 years or so, the head coach should be dismissed. Brilliant. Of course, there's never any real solution offered by those voices. Just "fire the coach". 

The NFL landscape is littered with fired coaches who were sure-fire candidates from the coordinator ranks.

Who's your answer? What can't miss coach is coming to Buffalo? Are you such a gambler that you'll put all your chips on a coordinator with no track record over the guy who's led his team into the playoff in 6 out of 7 seasons? Maybe you'd prefer a retread like Belichick or Carroll. No thanks.

Personally, I wouldn't make that bet. The better odds are that we'd be right back to the good old days of wishing we made the playoffs.

Compare the past 7 years of Bills football to the previous 17.  At least we've had a chance! We've had a very entertaining team we can be proud of.  

The Bills under McDermott have fielded a competitive squad every year under his guidance. They've developed mid-round players into valuable contributors. Free agents want to come to Buffalo. He has the respect of those who play under him. We have a team that should be competitive every year.

I'm grateful that the revolving door of Jauron, Mularkey, Williams, Ryan, etc. is a distant memory.  

Be thankful that we have someone a classy as McDermott leading our Bills today and for the foreseeable future. 

You may not realize it yet, but these are the good old days

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The only way he was getting fired here this year is if, from 6-6, the team quit on him and collapsed down the stretch. If we'd finished 6-11 instead of 11-6 and it looked like he had lost the locker room then all bets would have been off. But that didn't happen. 

Right but the season isn’t over. Let’s just say that something bad happens, the unthinkable happens, do you think anyone is going to remember the previous 6 wins? Do you think that after a career crushing loss, people will view that as the team rallying to their coach?

I think as fans we should be mentally prepared for all possible outcomes. This would be #4. I mean, he’s already done it 3 out of 3 times. The following day people would be calling him Marv 2.0 for Christ’s sake.

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Governor said:

Right but the season isn’t over. Let’s just say that something bad happens, the unthinkable happens, do you think anyone is going to remember the previous 6 wins? Do you think that after a career crushing loss, people will view that as the team rallying to their coach?

I think as fans we should be mentally prepared for all possible outcomes. This would be #4. I mean, he’s already done it 3 out of 3 times. The following day people would be calling him Marv 2.0 for Christ’s sake.

You’re being dramatic.  “The unthinkable”?  One of two good teams is going to lose a football game.  Neither result is unthinkable.

Also, yeah, fans tend to only remember the last thing that happened.  That’s why you put more reasonable objective decision makers at the switches.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Governor said:

I think as fans we should be mentally prepared for all possible outcomes. This would be #4. The following day people would be calling him Marv 2.0 for Christ’s sake.

There's nothing that could happen in one game that would prevent him from being retained.  Nothing.  No matter how much you want it.  Not even a 13 seconds repeat type situation or a blowout.  Pegula (IMO) is extremely relieved that McDermott made the playoffs so he could easily justify not making a change.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, kota said:

just saw that Ron Rivera is interested in coaching still and how he missed coaching on a granular level when he took over for Jack Del Rio who was fired mid season.  He also stated he has a few opportunities available.

Why?  

13 minutes ago, Governor said:

People? Possibly not. But there is only one person that matters. 

We could lose 40-10 on Sunday and he wouldn't be fired. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

There's nothing that could happen in one game that would prevent him from being retained.  Nothing.  No matter how much you want it.  Not even a 13 seconds repeat type situation or a blowout.  Pegula (IMO) is extremely relieved that McDermott made the playoffs so he could easily justify not making a change.  

He’s relieved that he might not have to fire him. I think you’re right about that.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Governor said:

We need to save this thread.

Theres a 95 percent chance McD would hire Rivera. It’s likely already in the works. He already signaled that he’d be ok being an assistant or coordinator. 

We definitely need to save this thread.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

You’re being dramatic.  “The unthinkable”?  One of two good teams is going to lose a football game.  Neither result is unthinkable.

Also, yeah, fans tend to only remember the last thing that happened.  That’s why you put more reasonable objective decision makers at the switches.

We have a 52 percent chance of winning. I’m not talking about a tough, close loss.

I’m talking about a “McD special” where HE is the sole reason why we lose the game, like 13 seconds.

• Agree 2

What’s fascinating is that McD totally flakes out for 1 full quarter in each game. Last week was no exception.

The team is also a reflection of him and they also flake out for a full quarter, but sometimes they’re different quarters.

The problem is that you never know when it’s going to happen and you’re left hanging on for dear life if it happens in the 4th quarter.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

4 hours ago, Governor said:

He used injuries as his excuse last season. At some point it is what it is.

It would be 4 years of losses, 2 years with no improvement.

This is the biggest game of his career so far. It would also depend on how we lost. We’d be getting into Marvin Lewis territory. 

Don’t blow it!

For the love of God, do people like you watch football? Marvin Lewis was with the Bengals for 16 years. He went to the playoffs 7 times. He went 0-7 in the playoffs. That's right, he never won a playoff game in 7 tries. McDermott already has 5 playoff wins. He will NEVER be at Marvin Lewis level. He has already long surpassed it. That gives no excuse to lose. But just to tell people that compare him to Marvin Lewis that they have no clue what they are talking about and sound like they don't watch football 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

For the love of God, do people like you watch football? Marvin Lewis was with the Bengals for 16 years. He went to the playoffs 7 times. He went 0-7 in the playoffs. That's right, he never won a playoff game in 7 tries. McDermott already has 5 playoff wins. He will NEVER be at Marvin Lewis level. He has already long surpassed it. That gives no excuse to lose. But just to tell people that compare him to Marvin Lewis that they have no clue what they are talking about and sound like they don't watch football 

Similarly the Marty comparison.... McDermott in 6 playoff seasons already has as many wins as Marty had in 13. The better comparison IMO is Bill Cowher. He made the playoffs his first 6 years (McD 6 of 7), was 1 and done the first two years (so was McD) but then was winning playoff games without winning the big one (I know they made and lost a Superbowl in there). 

That is not me saying he is bound to win one in the end like Cowher did, and Cowher didn't have Josh Allen, I get that. But in terms of coaches who it feels can't get over the playoff hump McDermott is much more comparable to Cowher than to Marty or Marv. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe in your mind and the mind of some fans. He is safe in the Pegulas mind.

There’s absolutely no way in the world you can know this unless you’re very close to the Pegulas. Are you? If yes, how’s Kim doing?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Governor said:

What’s fascinating is that McD totally flakes out for 1 full quarter in each game. Last week was no exception.

The team is also a reflection of him and they also flake out for a full quarter, but sometimes they’re different quarters.

The problem is that you never know when it’s going to happen and you’re left hanging on for dear life if it happens in the 4th quarter.

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, kota said:

No. Would be a huge mistake on a lot of levels.

I'm never a big fan of promoting from within just for the sake of it, however the Bills seem to have a pipeline of guys that have seemingly been brought along to take a DC spot eventually. Namely Eric Washington and Bobby Babich. If McD hands off the DC role I think it will be to one of those 2. I wouldn't, however, rule out the possibility of Rivera ending up on the staff in a different role should a coaching job not present itself elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

There’s absolutely no way in the world you can know this unless you’re very close to the Pegulas. Are you? If yes, how’s Kim doing?

No. But the reporting by Joe B and what I was told last summer by a very well placed source (Pegula considers McDermott and Beane pretty much as family and would be loathed to fire either of them he wants them as his coach and GM for very much the long term) both line up. 

4 hours ago, Governor said:

We have won 6 games in a row. We went from the #11 seed to the #2 seed. We secured that #2 seed with a road win against a hated division rival in the final game of the regular season. Along the way we beat the NFC #2 seed, regardless of what happened to them last week, and the Chiefs in Arrowhead.....again. We then took care of business against a scrappy Pittsburgh team on Monday while our defensive starters, and replacements from previously injured starters, dropped like flies. 

We all want to win this game. McDermott, Beane, the Pegula's, the players, and the fans. All of us. We all want to get the monkey off of our backs and prove that the Chiefs don't own us in the Playoffs. McDermott wants to get past his old coach when it matters most. Josh, Diggs, Dawkins, Morse, Oliver, Rousseau, Hyde, Poyer, EVERYONE wants this more than anything. But if you think McDermott is on the hot seat after the run we've had since early December, you are terribly mistaken. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, kota said:

It's not interesting at all. Rivera is an overrated coach. McDermott has done a great job with our defense

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.