Game Postponed! - To be played Monday at 4:30pm

phypon

34 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

If this game gets moved to ATL, I’m confident the Bills win by 3 scores. 

Remember how well Josh played with no fans during COVID? Add a dome to that and Josh will have a field day. 

It would be a neutral field at best, but my money would definitely be on Josh Allen in a dome. And of course I will be there making as much noise as is humanly possible.  Go Bills!

8 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Looks like the Steelers plane just took off. Also, weather should be doable for them to land

I don’t know how they’re going to get to a hotel near the stadium.  New public safety alert just hit.   They may fly to/stay in the Falls tonight. 

So I just spent about 90 minutes outside. West Seneca 5 miles from stadium. Snow is coming down good. I had 15" in my driveway and its all hard pack, tough to move. By the time I was done the parts I cleared first had another 3". Very windy, visibility 100-150'. And I know going from my house to the stadium, it usually gets worse. Be sure to be careful turning blower in the street cause anyone on the road won't see you. Maybe 6" on street and the town plows it well. PD & FD on my street

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

One of the league's biggest stars played a down with a cracked helmet because of the cold.

That he didn't take a big shot with a cracked helmet was pure luck. Thank God it didn't happen. 

That the Chiefs didn't have to call a timeout or sub him out for that play while the equipment was exchanged was something else, though.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Process said:

I will never get over the fact that they are spending $1.5B to build a new stadium and decided to put it in Orchard Park. 

The sun is shining at my house in Amherst right now. 

While I still think they should have built a dome, and know that has nothing to do with this, putting it in an area that tends to get slammed with lake effect snow seems like a rather questionable decision. Unless that's not really the case and there wasn't really a better location in the Buffalo area.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

While I still think they should have built a dome, and know that has nothing to do with this, putting it in an area that tends to get slammed with lake effect snow seems like a rather questionable decision. Unless that's not really the case and there wasn't really a better location in the Buffalo area.

There wasn’t.  They did all of the site studies.  This was it.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dan said:

I look at it the other way… the league needs to be smart when they schedule games.  I know you can never 100% predict the weather.   But they don’t consider weather at all, it seems.    

KC shoulda been the early game yesterday.   And Houston, playing in a dome, the night game.   There’s a world of difference between freezing temps at 2pm vs 8pm.  And it’s even more dramatic when you consider 10ish pm when the game ends and then fans have to drive home.  But we all know why KC was the primetime game.  

Even more so… had they considered the long range forecast last week when making the schedule, I would bet Saturday looked like less snow for Buffalo than Sunday.  Had the game been played yesterday rather than today… it goes off with no real concern.  

Maybe eventually they’ll wise up and consider more than just TV ratings in their scheduling, but I doubt it. The networks pay too much.   So I don’t see this as a Buffalo problem but a league problem for not considering the very real impact that weather has on a game and fan attendance. 

I bet the league doesn't see it as a league problem.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Process said:

I will never get over the fact that they are spending $1.5B to build a new stadium and decided to put it in Orchard Park. 

The sun is shining at my house in Amherst right now. 

5" an hour means you literally could stretch out your arm and put your hand in front of your face outside and couldn't see it.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

How is this possible with the weather? Did the governor overreact? This is why the league hates us. 

You clearly don't understand how lake effect snow bands work. Imagine you have to drive 10 minutes away to pick up your friend.  Except he lives in a Lake Snow band and you don't.  He will have feet of snow on the ground and when you drive into the area you won't be able to see anything, maybe not even the road in front of you.  Where you live will have a dusting of snow and the sun might even be out.  That's how.

It's not possible to overstate how drastic differences there can be.  Back in 2014 when we had 7 feet of snow in South Buffalo and the surrounding Eastern Suburbs, North Buffalo had exactly ZERO inches of snow.  

At 5" an hour without any wind the only thing you would be able to see is a giant wall of white in front of you.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

How is this possible with the weather? Did the governor overreact? This is why the league hates us. 

Because the band is over OP now. Sun is out in Amherst by the airport.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

All I know is, I wouldn't want to be on that plane when it's landing.  My guess is they'll try to circle around Batavia or so and then come in from the northeast to avoid most of that.

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 2.14.06 PM.png

11 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

There wasn’t.  They did all of the site studies.  This was it.  

Plus the Bills have built themselves some pretty nice facilities in OP. If it was Downtown or at UB, they would have to build all new facilities or start from scratch. 

That's why the 49ers stadium is in Santa Clara. That's where their team facilities were, and they would bus the team from Santa Clara to San Francisco and Candlestick for games. No need for that anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I don’t know how they’re going to get to a hotel near the stadium.  New public safety alert just hit.   They may fly to/stay in the Falls tonight. 

That would be the smart move.  Give 'em a good long bus ride to OP from there though.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

The airport is just a few miles north of the stadium... it’s sunny there ? 

There is snow on the ground at the airport.. but it is sunny right now and calm

Little windy 

Edited by Buffalo716

My hunch is game will not get moved from Monday to Tuesday (although wouldn't be shocked if it gets moved) but that the stadium and parking lots will be nowhere close to typical game-ready condition. Field itself will be fine but everything else will be partially ready.  Just don't think they'll have enough time (looks to me like lake effect bands will be an issue on and off through tomorrow morning).  

Edited by TheWei44

17 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Plus the Bills have built themselves some pretty nice facilities in OP. If it was Downtown or at UB, they would have to build all new facilities or start from scratch. 

That's why the 49ers stadium is in Santa Clara. That's where their team facilities were, and they would bus the team from Santa Clara to San Francisco and Candlestick for games. No need for that anymore. 

Yep, typical short sighted sh*t. The site studies were a sham as they never really wanted to build it anywhere other than the existing location since they had spent money on the Adpro training facility. 

I was fine with open air and if downtown wasnt in the cards so be it but for Gods sake, should’ve moved it from the snow belt. Niagara county would’ve been fine. I grew up in Lockport and we rarely got hit with the major lake effect stuff like they do in OP.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jukester said:

Yep, typical short sighted sh*t. The site studies were a sham as they never really wanted to build it anywhere other than the existing location since they had spent money on the Adpro training facility. 

I was fine with open air and if downtown wasnt in the cards so be it but for Gods sake, should’ve moved it from the snow belt. Niagara county would’ve been fine. I grew up in Lockport and we rarely got hit with the major lake effect stuff like they do in OP.

That probably would have driven the price up to over $2B

I understand the need for safety. But if the ability to get to the game and home safely was the true driver, why are the Sabres playing a home game right now? Is it because the weather is much "milder" near the arena compared to OP?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, chongli said:

Steelers are boarding their plane; Governor to give update at 2:45 PM:

https://www.governor.ny.gov/

On-time take off:

IMG_0417.png?ex=65b6ac02&is=65a43702&hm=

The pre-press conference music is on point

1 minute ago, jimmynunn said:

I understand the need for safety. But if the ability to get to the game and home safely was the true driver, why are the Sabres playing a home game right now? Is it because the weather is much "milder" near the arena compared to OP?

Sabres play tomorrow

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, That's No Moon said:

Yea but nobody cares about that. Including the people playing. I hope they can count the spectators on fingers and toes tomorrow.

The Governor's pre-press conference music? 

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’m not sure how it will be any better tomorrow.  Game should have been moved to Atlanta…half measures…

Lake effect snows are funny things.  I havent really kept track of the weather as I dont really go anywhere anyhow.  I am not sure either.  Hopefully it is.

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’m not sure how it will be any better tomorrow.  Game should have been moved to Atlanta…half measures…

Seems as if the game will be able to be played pending this field-hardness thing.  Not sure how many fans would be there however.  The roads should be passable, but parking and snow inside the stadium are questionable.  

12 minutes ago, Draconator said:

That probably would have driven the price up to over $2B

A dome would have, but same exact stadium in a northern suburb instead of the snow belt?  Why would it be an extra 500 mil??

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Lake effect snows are funny things.  I havent really kept track of the weather as I dont really go anywhere anyhow.  I am not sure either.  Hopefully it is.

Regardless of whether it’s snowing at 4:30 tomorrow, snow is still piling up and it’s not going to melt by tomorrow afternoon.  It was idiotic not to just move the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.