Shakir needs to get the ball more

Scott7975

This dude is our most explosive playmaker. Shakir currently ranks 4th in the league in yards after catch per reception with a whopping 7.6.  Only Kittle, Rashee Rice, and Deebo are higher than that.  His expected is 4.6 which means he gets 3 more yards than he is expected to get.  The next best Bill on the list is Kincaid at 4.5 yac/r expected 4.3.  

Shakir also leads the league in catch% at 86.7%.  We need to get Shakir the ball more.  He is our best offensive weapon.  What a value draft pick this was. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

Shakir has been working with Eric Moulds during offseason and occasionally during season.   Talked to Eric Moulds and he is very proud of his student.

Shakir was basically an unknown for most of his career and game plans will now factor him in coverage schemes.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’m not sure if he’s our ‘best weapon’ but I’d like to see the Bills start trusting the new guys a bit more. They’ve relied on Diggs and Davis, and Knox for years now…and for good reason. But…it’s time for the natural evolution to Shakir, Kincaid, and someone else (draft pick?) going forward. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

More weapons are only more weapons if they get used in plays drawn up by the OC, that appears to be happening now, and I am super happy to see it, 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I’d say he’s getting prime Beasley looks.  Different skill set in that he’s not quite the same magician in finding space in the middle of the field but a better occasional deep threat.

Which is all to say it really has no bearing on eating up Gabe’s snaps.  He plays a different position and we still need a WR2 but Shakir is capable of 800-900 yards a season.

11 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Shakir has been working with Eric Moulds during offseason and occasionally during season.   Talked to Eric Moulds and he is very proud of his student.

Shakir was basically an unknown for most of his career and game plans will now factor him in coverage schemes.

Love Eric Moulds. Best receiver we've had since I've known what I was watching, imo. More dynamic than Diggs.  Im a bit too young to compare him with Reed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure if he’s our ‘best weapon’ but I’d like to see the Bills start trusting the new guys a bit more. They’ve relied on Diggs and Davis, and Knox for years now…and for good reason. But…it’s time for the natural evolution to Shakir, Kincaid, and someone else (draft pick?) going forward. 

I think he is.  I mean Diggs is obviously elite but this kid has sure hands and tears it up when he gets the opportunity.  Other teams will have to start paying attention to him.  Between him and Kincaid, other teams might have to soften coverage on Diggs.  I am not trying to say he is better than Diggs.  I just don't really know how to express what I mean.  This kid has amazing YAC ability and hands.

3 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I’d say he’s getting prime Beasley looks.  Different skill set in that he’s not quite the same magician in finding space in the middle of the field but a better occasional deep threat.

Which is all to say it really has no bearing on eating up Gabe’s snaps.  He plays a different position and we still need a WR2 but Shakir is capable of 800-900 yards a season.

Yes, we still need a #2 outside to upgrade Davis.  As far as slot goes, Shakir is damn good.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think he is.  I mean Diggs is obviously elite but this kid has sure hands and tears it up when he gets the opportunity.  Other teams will have to start paying attention to him.  Between him and Kincaid, other teams might have to soften coverage on Diggs.  I am not trying to say he is better than Diggs.  I just don't really know how to express what I mean.  This kid has amazing YAC ability and hands.

Yes, we still need a #2 outside to upgrade Davis.  As far as slot goes, Shakir is damn good.

It comes down to using “ALL” of your weapons, then opponents have to cover “ALL” your weapons…, this has the effect that they can’t double cover Diggs all the time…, it becomes a choose your poison thing for defenses. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't agree that he should get it more. I think he's done a fine job and has solidified our 3rd wr spot. By giving him the ball more than means less for Diggs, Kincaid, Cook. You want to get the ball to your playmakers first. Shakir is doing fine in his role

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

I think he is contributing excellently just as he is in the 3rd WR role. It was the same when Gabe Davis was in that role.

Let's just let him continue to develop, keep giving him opportunities, and we'll see where that goes.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve been banging this drum since last year.

Feed Shakir and Kincaid! They get open and only seem to drop very difficult catches. If it is a good throw, they are automatic. Same can’t be said for Cook or Davis (or even Diggs recently).

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I don't agree that he should get it more. I think he's done a fine job and has solidified our 3rd wr spot. By giving him the ball more than means less for Diggs, Kincaid, Cook. You want to get the ball to your playmakers first. Shakir is doing fine in his role

Shakir is our playmaker.  He has the best hands on the team and the best YAC ability.  By a mile.

33 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It comes down to using “ALL” of your weapons, then opponents have to cover “ALL” your weapons…, this has the effect that they can’t double cover Diggs all the time…, it becomes a choose your poison thing for defenses. 

I agree with that.  Make teams defend the entire field.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I’ve been banging this drum since last year.

Feed Shakir and Kincaid! They get open and only seem to drop very difficult catches. If it is a good throw, they are automatic. Same can’t be said for Cook or Davis (or even Diggs recently).

Banging a drum ??

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Shakir is our playmaker.  He has the best hands on the team and the best YAC ability.  By a mile.

I don't agree. He is doing well but I'd like to get the ball to those other guys first (Diggs, Kincaid, Cook). Shakir is just a guy in this league and that's fine. As long as he continues to produce he will have a job. He's not the guy in our offense though and never will be 

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 2

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I don't agree. He is doing well but I'd like to get the ball to those other guys first (Diggs, Kincaid, Cook). Shakir is just a guy in this league and that's fine. As long as he continues to produce he will have a job. He's not the guy in our offense though and never will be 

I hear you on Diggs.  Can I ask why on Cook/Kincaid?  Cook has hands problems between drops and fumbles.  Kincaid doesn't have anywhere near the YAC ability. I like both players and I think they are great but it seems you are basing this off draft status and not an actual production per opportunity look.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I loved how Moulds played the game (criminally under appreciated) and I have been impressed by Shakir since he joined the team and happy to see him getting more chances. He always seems open, makes good catches and is shifty, quick and fast leading to YAC, and IMHO he needs the ball more. I like him even more knowing he is training with Moulds!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I hear you on Diggs.  Can I ask why on Cook/Kincaid?  Cook has hands problems between drops and fumbles.  Kincaid doesn't have anywhere near the YAC ability. I like both players and I think they are great but it seems you are basing this off draft status and not an actual production per opportunity look.

Cook is one of the fastest guys on the team and I'd like to see him more involved over the middle and swing passes. It doesn't have to be 30 yards down the field where he has to make a great catch. Dump it off and let him run. It's like an extended handoff.

Kincaid I think has the ability to run away from the LB or run over S/CB. They drafted him there for a reason so let's see it. There's no way there should be a blitz coming and Josh doesn't know what to do. Kincaid should be replacing the LB and available for a quick hitter over the middle then let him run people over.

I'd also like them to add a replacement for Gabe. I think this offense is really missing a #2 guy. That means less or same targets for Shakir (as a #3) who I also think is doing well but I don't think he is a #2. Just my opinion 

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Cook is one of the fastest guys on the team and I'd like to see him more involved over the middle and swing passes. It doesn't have to be 30 yards down the field where he has to make a great catch. Dump it off and let him run. It's like an extended handoff.

Kincaid I think has the ability to run away from the LB or run over S/CB. They drafted him there for a reason so let's see it. There's no way there should be a blitz coming and Josh doesn't know what to do. Kincaid should be replacing the LB and available for a quick hitter over the middle then let him run people over.

I'd also like them to add a replacement for Gabe. I think this offense is really missing a #2 guy. That means less or same targets for Shakir (as a #3) who I also think is doing well but I don't think he is a #2. Just my opinion 

I haven't seen Cook having to make any great catches 30 yards down the field. Both wide open touchdowns that he's dropped were right in his hands. 

He's a bad receiver. Swing passes, screens, sure. But I'd much rather Shakir get these opportunities than Cook. And Kincaid is going to be a stud so more for him is fine by me.

Cook? No.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I think this is a gross over exaggeration considering it's only his second year and in his second year has over 600 yards and leads the league in the stats mentioned in the OP and started over half the games. 

Cool that he's working with Moulds though. 

Edited by warrior9

2 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I haven't seen Cook having to make any great catches 30 yards down the field. Both wide open touchdowns that he's dropped were right in his hands. 

He's a bad receiver. Swing passes, screens, sure. But I'd much rather Shakir get these opportunities than Cook. And Kincaid is going to be a stud so more for him is fine by me.

Cook? No.

That's why I said dump it off to him and let him run. Any 30 yard pass to a RB is going to be a good catch. Have you tried making a 30 yard catch in a game? It's not easy. Those throws are on a rope. That's why RB's don't play WR

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

"best weapon"???

From a YAC/R and hands perspective he is.

32 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

That's why I said dump it off to him and let him run. Any 30 yard pass to a RB is going to be a good catch. Have you tried making a 30 yard catch in a game? It's not easy. Those throws are on a rope. That's why RB's don't play WR

I'm sorry but I have to disagree here.  If we can get Shakir the ball 30 yards downfield, I will take that over a dumpoff to Cook every time.  Even if Cook was the most amazing ever, more often than not he is not making up those 30 yards.  I do love Cook in the area you refer to but Im still taking that 30 yards every time.

Edited by Scott7975

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

From a YAC/R and hands perspective he is.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree here.  If we can get Shakir the ball 30 yards downfield, I will take that over a dumpoff to Cook every time.  Even if Cook was the most amazing ever, more often than not he is not making up those 30 yards.  I do love Cook in the area you refer to but Im still taking that 30 yards every time.

Would be great if you could get it down the field that much to average 30 yards per catch! Trouble is they like to blitz Josh and he needs to be dumping it off to Cook or Kincaid

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Would be great if you could get it down the field that much to average 30 yards per catch! Trouble is they like to blitz Josh and he needs to be dumping it off to Cook or Kincaid

Cooks drop% is nearing 10% while his avg depth of target is 2.5 yards btw.  His hands have not been good over this stretch.  Not even just in catches but holding the ball.  He almost fumbled again this past game.

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

This dude is our most explosive playmaker. Shakir currently ranks 4th in the league in yards after catch per reception with a whopping 7.6.  Only Kittle, Rashee Rice, and Deebo are higher than that.  His expected is 4.6 which means he gets 3 more yards than he is expected to get.  The next best Bill on the list is Kincaid at 4.5 yac/r expected 4.3.  

Shakir also leads the league in catch% at 86.7%.  We need to get Shakir the ball more.  He is our best offensive weapon.  What a value draft pick this was. 

PREACH ON!

Ive been preaching this for 2 seasons now...loved loved loved the pick on draft night.  Heading into the draft he was talked about potentially going as high as the 2nd, but I expected more like the third.  To get him in the 5th blew my mind, I had not even realized he was still there.  

I said this in another thread...If you insert Shakir into the Rams offense in place of Nacua this year, I think Shakir has a similar season.  Not a knock on Nacua, kid can ball, I just think Shakir can too and would excel in that kind of role.  

If the Bills are going to win the SB this year, its going to take involvement from Shakir.  He has made so many important plays for this team this year and I think we are a better offense when he is more involved.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Cook has dropped multiple short throws for sure TD's this year.  His hands are unreliable.  Cooks sweet spot is dump off passes or screens.  Throws where Cook runs some sort of route where he being asked to catch the ball in stride of a route is where he struggles with catching the ball.  There are RB's you can ask to run a route and get him the ball...Cook isn't that guy, he can't reliably catch those passes regardless of short or medium distance throws.  

Screens and dump offs are where Cook is better suited. 

47 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

These throws are not on a rope.  They should be routine catches.  RB's make this catch all the time with ease.

The Cowboys one I can't find.  These are not hard catches regardless of position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.