Gabe Davis PCL sprain, not considered major

Process

Right now the WR FA class includes the following (of course subject to change)

-Tee Higgins

-Mike Evans

-Odell Beckham

-Tyler Boyd

-DJ Chark

-Marquise Brown

-Calvin Ridley

-Michael Pittman

-Curtis Samuel 

Plus it's a deep WR draft class. Sure, it only takes one team to go big...but I don't think he even hits the $13.5M AAV that Spotrac projects. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

-Tee Higgins

-Mike Evans

-Odell Beckham

-Tyler Boyd

-DJ Chark

-Marquise Brown

-Calvin Ridley

-Michael Pittman

-Curtis Samuel 

Plus it's a deep WR draft class. Sure, it only takes one team to go big...but I don't think he even hits the $13.5M AAV that Spotrac projects. 

What about Hopkins?  That guy catches EVERYTHING thrown to him and appears ageless.

• Agree 2

I can't really say I noticed any drop-off once Gabe left the game. I don't expect him to be back with Buffalo after this season.

That said, the more healthy receivers, the better, so hopefully he heals up in time for Pittsburgh.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I can't really say I noticed any drop-off once Gabe left the game. I don't expect him to be back with Buffalo after this season.

That said, the more healthy receivers, the better, so hopefully he heals up in time for Pittsburgh.

The Cover One guys made the best point I've heard:

Gabe Davis has been a disappointment this year. However his physicality in blocking, the route tree he runs and the cascade of new assignments just as the playoffs start is non-ideal. 

I mean, who knows, if he turns on Playoff Mode and rattles off a series of 4 TD games I'll be thrilled. Or even in the Divisional round or AFC championship game. But he's not part of my long term vision.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

-Tee Higgins

-Mike Evans

-Odell Beckham

-Tyler Boyd

-DJ Chark

-Marquise Brown

-Calvin Ridley

-Michael Pittman

-Curtis Samuel 

Maybe he gets a deal that Zay Jones got from the Jaguars?

• Like (+1) 1

My first thought yesterday is "if this holds him out of games, his market may get smaller".  He may end up back here on a friendlier deal, if that is the case. Find a better #2, he is a good #3,

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

-Tee Higgins

-Mike Evans

-Odell Beckham

-Tyler Boyd

-DJ Chark

-Marquise Brown

-Calvin Ridley

-Michael Pittman

-Curtis Samuel 

If those are the FA available +Gabe I don't see Gabe being the one we'd want to be here.

• Agree 2

I hope Gabe Davis puts up a huge playoff and secures the bag from another team.

I don’t expect it though, and if I’m Allen I’m not looking his way unless it’s one of those scramble drill plays where he’s wide open.

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Maybe he gets a deal that Zay Jones got from the Jaguars?

Zay got a 3 year $24M deal. At that number I would be ok bringing Gabe back. That $8M AAV and a bargain. 

I'm thinking he sees a bit more. Something like Allen Lazard just got from the Jets (4/44M) and that's a bit too much for my liking. 

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The Cover One guys made the best point I've heard:

Gabe Davis has been a disappointment this year. However his physicality in blocking, the route tree he runs and the cascade of new assignments just as the playoffs start is non-ideal. 

I mean, who knows, if he turns on Playoff Mode and rattles off a series of 4 TD games I'll be thrilled. Or even in the Divisional round or AFC championship game. But he's not part of my long term vision.

Yeah. It's hard to argue that the team is better with Sherfield as WR2 than Gabe Davis. Davis, for all his maddening inconsistency and disappearing acts, has at least shown the POTENTIAL to break games open, to catch long touchdown passes, to make highlight reel catches in big moments. Sherfield and Harty, for the most part, have not even shown that potential.

In the Bills' long term plans? Nope. Shouldn't be. Helpful and probably necessary to have a good shot at a Lombardi this season? Likely so.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah. It's hard to argue that the team is better with Sherfield as WR2 than Gabe Davis. Davis, for all his maddening inconsistency and disappearing acts, has at least shown the POTENTIAL to break games open, to catch long touchdown passes, to make highlight reel catches in big moments. Sherfield and Harty, for the most part, have not even shown that potential.

In the Bills' long term plans? Nope. Shouldn't be. Helpful and probably necessary to have a good shot at a Lombardi this season? Likely so.

Pretty much. I will give Sherfield this: he had some real heads up play Week 18. I don't hate having him in a bit. But I can't even say that Shakir is a solid #2 for the role it needs to be in this offence (though he is looking like a fantastic piece, like Gabe before expectations) never mind Sherfield. Let's get through this season and then look to upgrade. Hopefully Gabe is ready to roll and get us as far as we can go.

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

-Tee Higgins

-Mike Evans

-Odell Beckham

-Tyler Boyd

-DJ Chark

-Marquise Brown

-Calvin Ridley

-Michael Pittman

-Curtis Samuel 

Do any of these guys have the right "DNA"?  Evans sticks out to me and maybe Pittman.

Rest him.  Even though he did have one of his long bombs against the Steelers.  

I'm believing that Josh has too much confidence in him, and goes to him in tough situations too much.  Make him utilize someone else.  

54 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I hope he sits.  Offense was much better with him on the bench. 

I get all these negative remarks, but the proof is there...go look.  We were talking about it last night in the 2nd half thread.

This is ANOTHER Bill that we can't tell the truth on, because fans lock onto players.  Outside that 1 KC game he hasn't been a true #2 WR Worth a damn.  

6 minutes ago, KCNC said:

Do any of these guys have the right "DNA"?  Evans sticks out to me and maybe Pittman.

Any one of those guys improves the WR2 spot from a pass catching standpoint IMO. Obviously, Higgins is the likely "big fish" there that the teams like Carolina or the Jets will throw stupid money at. Ridley opposite Diggs with Shakir/Kincaid inside would be a sick combination. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Depends on what Beane does with the cap.  

I don’t see him making a splashy WR signing … due to the lack of funds ..,

If someone wants to come cheap looking for a ring like Floyd did this year … might be their only hope …

32 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Mayo Clinic suggests 2 to 6 week recovery depending upon the severity of the sprain.  

I have had surgery with Mayo Clinic.  I found Cleveland Clinic better on recovery time.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21793-pcl-posterior-cruciate-ligament-tears

How long does a PCL injury take to heal?

Recovery time can vary from person to person. If your injury is mild, it may only take about 10 days to heal. If you’ve had surgery to repair your PCL, recovery could take about six to nine months.

Have him diagnosed by actual doctor with actual tests before mob diagnosis.

1 hour ago, Process said:

Oh yea his agent definitely got a hold of Ian's phone

Well, I sure underrate him. It's possible that both interceptions are on him. I think that's three games where he and Allen "miscommunicated" on a potential TDs, something that other receivers don't seem to have a problem with. 

I think it's time to promote Shakir. Shakir over Davis, Jonathan over Miller, Fournette over Murray, and, just possibly, Bates over Torrence. 

1 hour ago, Process said:

You can tell his agent was the source of the information 

LOL.  Agree on the agent as source.  "Bills standout WR" and "one of the top WR FA available this off season"

How severe it is and whether or not it keeps him out of Sunday's game, of course, depends upon the grade, and whether or not other ligaments were injured.

Davis has been a polarizing figure in Buffalo, but it's a safe bet that he's playing out the string at this point even if he were to explode in the playoffs again similar to 2021. And in that case he's simply just helping his price tag in free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.