Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

4 minutes ago, Governor said:

Damn it’s done. Hochul declared.

Hahaha what?  No it's not done. 

"Hochul says her team is in contact with local officials, as well as the Buffalo Bill's to ensure the safety of fans who attend the game on Sunday in Orchard Park. "

https://www.wgrz.com/article/weather/severe-weather/gov-hochul-declares-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-winter-storm/71-fa9ef136-49ef-4935-803c-ab505bd4dfec

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Alot of us have driven in these snow bands.  One time I was driving from Williamsville to Ithaca.  I hit the band a few miles after i got on the Thruway going Eastbound, after Pembroke. It was terrifying. The only thing that saved me was following directly behind a Greyhound bus, barely seeing his tail lights and going 10mph.  I followed and drove in his tire tracks all the way to Rochester.   When we got to Roch, out of nowhere the sky was blue and sunny and the snow machine turned off. I was sweating bullets and was so happy to make it.  And this was just a snow band not 45+mph winds and a blizzard.

So Getting back to the Bills game.. how in the world are they gonna put 60,000+ people out there in conditions like that?!?  That would be insane.

Take that drive, add the 45 mph wind, and start popping the 6 pack in the passenger seat. 

It’s a recipe for disaster. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Mango said:

Take that drive, add the 45 mph wind, and start popping the 6 pack in the passenger seat. 

It’s a recipe for disaster. 

45mph tailwind... we'll get better gas mileage and environmentalists will be happy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

And yet it still will be better on Monday than on Sunday.  So what’s your solution?  Bring 70+k people to OP, force the town/county/state to plow to get them out of there (which it did NOT do during the most recent major snow events to force people to stay off of the roads to allow for cleaning), and then deal with those people and others who decide to travel on roads that are marginally plowed?  And, frankly, the reason so many people (47, IIRC) died in the last storm like this one is that many of them were out on roads and were stuck in cars during the teeth of the blizzard, which is exactly why, from a public safety perspective, this game should not be played here on Sunday.  So it’s either roll the dice on Sunday, play it on Sunday (in Cleveland, apparently), or try it here or in Cleveland/Detroit on Monday.  

This.  It’s nuts.  Unless you’ve been in it, you don’t understand.  

Look, if there's a massive blizzard Sunday, they will cancel the game for Sunday.  They won't play it Monday because of the massive blizzard Sunday. You can't dig out a stadium and all access to it overnight.  Anyone who went through last year's storm would find this quite obvious.

1 minute ago, Milanos Milano said:

These younger generations have gone soft. It wasn’t long ago we had brave men storming the beaches of Normandy. Now they are afraid to drive slowly on roads with a few inches of snow on them. 

I would like to get home safe to my young kids just like I’m sure everyone else does. If that makes soft, I’m cool with that 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Simon said:

So the other day I decided that this looked like a ton of fun and I was going to look into grabbing a ticket online and coming up from Western PA.

We were having a major wind event here while I was monkeying around on the computer looking at different sites for the ticket I wanted (first couple rows of the upper deck, between the 40's) and I hear/feel this big crash.

Go to the window, look outside and the wind has knocked down a small tree, which of course has landed directly on my truck and broken the windshield. :doh:

image.thumb.png.0f3751536ac9b47b579c976bcad8993c.png

i'll pick you up on the way through... meet me in washington PA

53 minutes ago, Simon said:

So the other day I decided that this looked like a ton of fun and I was going to look into grabbing a ticket online and coming up from Western PA.

We were having a major wind event here while I was monkeying around on the computer looking at different sites for the ticket I wanted (first couple rows of the upper deck, between the 40's) and I hear/feel this big crash.

Go to the window, look outside and the wind has knocked down a small tree, which of course has landed directly on my truck and broken the windshield. :doh:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

I would like to get home safe to my young kids just like I’m sure everyone else does. If that makes soft, I’m cool with that 

There are risks in every day life. A deer can run out at anytime and knock you off the road. If people are scared, they can stay home, and let the brave people venture out and enjoy a snowy game. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Look, if there's a massive blizzard Sunday, they will cancel the game for Sunday.  They won't play it Monday because of the massive blizzard Sunday. You can't dig out a stadium and all access to it overnight.  Anyone who went through last year's storm would find this quite obvious.

How much accumulation is there in this “massive blizzard?”  Anyone who went through last year’s storm would know that there’s a difference between a mountain of lake effect snow (like Snowvember I and II) and perhaps a little less snow coupled with extraordinary winds.  If there’s a mountain of snow (like, say, several feet in 24 hours) a Monday game here isn’t happening.  But if the issue is a decent amount of snow on Sunday (like, say, a foot) coupled with tropical-storm force winds, then it would be reasonable to deem Sunday an impassable day on the roads and possible to clean and play on Monday.  It wouldn’t be easy, and it wouldn’t be perfect, and there would be a ton of snow in the stands.  But roads and lots could be cleared and that game could happen at 4p on Monday afternoon.  

5 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

These younger generations have gone soft. It wasn’t long ago we had brave men storming the beaches of Normandy. Now they are afraid to drive slowly on roads with a few inches of snow on them. 

In the 1940's, lead was in paint.  If you currently live in a lead free painted house...you're a softee.  

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have no idea why this is complicated or drama filled. Major League Baseball deals with this all the time in the playoffs since they don’t play in the rain. Just move the game to Monday. 

I imagine CBS doesn’t want a game on Monday afternoon when far less people will be watching.

There are risks in every day life. A deer can run out at anytime and knock you off the road. If people are scared, they can stay home, and let the brave people venture out and enjoy a snowy game. 

The brave people unfortunately are going to have a lot of people to rescue if this forecast holds and the game is played.  So they better take it easy on the booze and be ready to help in the late afternoon. 

29 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I wish it was that easy.  I’m good with 4WD and a little sand.  So many people who live here are cruising around in their little Hyundais or the like and they’re the ones who plant it in the snowbank. 

To be fair to little Hyundais and the like, it's really the "cruising around" part that's the issue, not the Hyundai per se

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, boyst said:

lol, I'm still shedding Covid and am not getting into an enclosed space with anybody.

At least anybody I like........

Edit:

Dammit, I should have said something about chain-smoking joints the whole way up.

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Simon said:

Get out yer chain saw and call Safelite

• Like (+1) 1

Sort of weird they call it "Wild Card Weekend".

Bills, Chiefs, Texans, Cowboys, Lions, Bucs are all playing this weekend. None of them are wild card teams.

In reality, it's the 1st Round of the NFL Tournament. Could also call it the conference quarterfinals.

Just thinking out loud.

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Sort of weird they call it "Wild Card Weekend".

Bills, Chiefs, Texans, Cowboys, Lions, Bucs are all playing this weekend. None of them are wild card teams.

In reality, it's the 1st Round of the NFL Tournament. Could also call it the conference quarterfinals.

Just thinking out loud.

yeah but all the Wild Card teams are playing, too

7 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

Ah, right, the Bills are fighting to stop a genocide with their football plays. Very important to keep the storming scheduled as planned. 

• Haha (+1) 3

One thing I didn’t really think of when it comes to moving the game is that both teams have likely game planned around running the ball 40+ times.

What a shirt show this could be if suddenly it’s clear skies and teams aren’t prepared. 

Just now, Mango said:

One thing I didn’t really think of when it comes to moving the game is that both teams have likely game planned around running the ball 40+ times.

What a shirt show this could be if suddenly it’s clear skies and teams aren’t prepared. 

Is this a serious post?  

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

thoughts and prayers

• Haha (+1) 2

When does the NFL ever move game times other than Covid? seems like 1pm Sunday is the game, the only question is will it have to be moved out of OP. and that’s not looking like the case as we get further into friday night. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Hahaha what?  No it's not done. 

"Hochul says her team is in contact with local officials, as well as the Buffalo Bill's to ensure the safety of fans who attend the game on Sunday in Orchard Park. "

https://www.wgrz.com/article/weather/severe-weather/gov-hochul-declares-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-winter-storm/71-fa9ef136-49ef-4935-803c-ab505bd4dfec

Yes it is done.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

What about 36 inches?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

People can’t even change their tires without calling for help. Softness will soon lead to hard times. 

How sure are you that 100% of the people from your generation could change a tire?  I am sure Road Side Assistance is available and used for all generations. 

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

How sure are you that 100% of the people from your generation could change a tire?  I am sure Road Side Assistance is available and used for all generations. 

Those wagon wheels were even harder to repair

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

2+ feet is not a few inches. Mix that with alcohol and whiteout conditions and that's a recipe for disaster for both people driving and pedestrians trying to leave the stadium.

We get it dude...you are the biggest badass that was out barechested walking around during the blizzard last year the entire time and when they found you buried under the snow you were building igloos and doing snow angels.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What about 36 inches?

There is this invention called the snow plow that comes by every hour or sometimes sooner. Even if rates are 3’/hr, that is drivable with proper vehicles. 

Just now, Big Turk said:

2+ feet is not a few inches. Mix that with alcohol and whiteout conditions and that's a recipe for disaster for both people driving and pedestrians trying to leave the stadium.

2’ wont be on the roadway surfaces at any one time. Maximum of 4” in between plowings on main roads. It’s fine. 

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

In the 1940's, lead was in paint.  If you currently live in a lead free painted house...you're a softee.  

And now your food is full of plastic. All "progress" isn't progress. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.