Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

What we need is local warming. If we’re so good at it globally, why can’t we just narrow it down and help us out for once?

This is local warming...

The second warmest December on record has the lake at 43° and primed for mid-January lake effect.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/7/2024 at 10:54 PM, Riverboat Ritchie said:

I actually think the high wind could hurt us.  Pitt looked pretty good running the ball and with high winds we will need to also. Get it done. Go Bills. 

We haven't run the ball well (Cook) since Dallas. 

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

I agree fans will blame the weather.  But the fact is, if the Bills lose, it will be because Pittsburgh made more plays. Just like with the New England wind game, if the Bills could stop the run in that game, they would have won. As it is, they could not and lost. 

I think it also hurt us that we refused to pass in the first half of that game. When we finally had to pass in the second half we found we could do it pretty well regardless if the wind. I think we would have won that game if we just decided to pass all game until we were proven we couldn’t in those conditions 

I was really hoping to get houston this week.  If Buffalo were playing houston sunday I would be confident in 10+ point win.  Houston would be crippled in this weather.  

Pittsburgh is built for this weather and they are getting players back on defense and buffalo lost 3 players for this game and who knows with rapp.  

This is going to be a tight anxiety filled game, buffalo would have bullied Houston.

42 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's likely for Northern Erie County. Southern Erie County has a Winter Storm Watch in effect from Saturday 1pm to Monday 7am.

53 minutes ago, Jukester said:

Ticket prices dropping fast. 

Does it limit Josh Allen? He might be the most effective runner on either team with these conditions.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t think the game will get moved but there will likely be local driving bans all over on Sunday. This has me thinking…

What’s the protocol if there is a driving ban in Orchard Park that is enacted Sunday morning?

I can’t recall there ever being a driving ban at the same time as a game.

2 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

I don’t think the game will get moved but there will likely be local driving bans all over on Sunday. This has me thinking…

What’s the protocol if there is a driving ban in Orchard Park that is enacted Sunday morning?

I imagine NYS and EC will have every piece of equipment available on hand to make sure roads in and around OP remain passable and a driving ban isn't necessary. It may be an issue of visibility however and not road condition.

If there wasn't a driving ban during the 2 feet that fell from 12pm-5pm during that 2016 Colts game, not sure there will be one this time.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BrettFavre said:

I imagine NYS and EC will have every piece of equipment available on hand to make sure roads in and around OP remain passable and a driving ban isn't necessary. It may be an issue of visibility however and not road condition.

If there wasn't a driving ban during the 2 feet that fell from 12pm-5pm during that 2016 Colts game, not sure there will be one this time.

This. It will be another Colts game, and I’m ready for it. Can’t wait. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

I don't think it gets that bad, as of right now it looks like this might be a 1-2' event with a few places locally higher.

That could change tho with future model runs as things come more into focus. I mean the times we got 7 feet of snow, it started out expecting 6-12".

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think it gets that bad, as of right now it looks like this might be a 1-2' event with a few places locally higher.

That could change tho with future model runs as things come more into focus. I mean the times we got 7 feet of snow, it started out expecting 6-12".

I remember you had some great info last year leading up to the 6 feet during the November storm. Didn’t the local forecasters start to warn the storm would be measured in feet not inches about 5 days before it started though? Seems like we are getting to the timeframe where they have a good indication if it will be a “normal” lake effect day vs. a major event.

19 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

The dolphins Bills game last year there was a blizzard for 2-3 hours before the game and then it stopped 2 hrs before the game. What’s the big deal? It’s Buffalo 

What's the big deal? It will adversely affect playing conditions, possibly to the detriment of the Bills offense, holding back Allen's effectiveness. 

Do you really not understand?

14 minutes ago, rusty shackleford said:

I remember you had some great info last year leading up to the 6 feet during the November storm. Didn’t the local forecasters start to warn the storm would be measured in feet not inches about 5 days before it started though? Seems like we are getting to the timeframe where they have a good indication if it will be a “normal” lake effect day vs. a major event.

Well sometimes they have clear guidance when the models all say the same thing and sometimes they don't so they try and wait it out as long as they can until they get better guidance. That's why you'll typically see expected snow totals increase leading up to and sometimes even during the event as they have more up to date information. 

Also sometimes the winds don't do what they expect them to do and end up staying over one area longer than expected which then increases the total.

Right now they just have the winter storm watch out but we should get better updated expected storm totals by tomorrow night into Saturday morning.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, klos63 said:

What's the big deal? It will adversely affect playing conditions, possibly to the detriment of the Bills offense, holding back Allen's effectiveness. 

Do you really not understand?

Buffalo has a better team and i still think they will be the better team even in weather. Let’s keep in mind, Rudolph has been slinging the ball very well over the 3 game winning streak (in addition to Harris running).  He’s a drop back passer and it will be rough passing in 20-30mph wind and flakes. Allen has played in some big wind games, but more importantly he can scramble a bit and move the chains. Plus Buffalo can run pretty well too. But most of all I think the Bills D will play insane on Sunday.

I hope there's a snowstorm. The best thing the Pittsburgh offense has done in recent weeks is launch the ball deep to Pickens. Snowy windy weather removes that factor. Allen can still throw the ball, Rudolph really can't. I don't understand why so many Bills fans are more anxious about the game. For my money this gives us a bigger advantage.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I hope there's a snowstorm. The best thing the Pittsburgh offense has done in recent weeks is launch the ball deep to Pickens. Snowy windy weather removes that factor. Allen can still throw the ball, Rudolph really can't. I don't understand why so many Bills fans are more anxious about the game. For my money this gives us a bigger advantage.

Or hopefully Poyer or Hyde bait him and make some glorious INTs like they did against Mac 2 years ago

2 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

New stadium but no roof so we can have weather advantage.  Playoff home game moved to Cleveland because of weather. Where is the advantage?

There will be no moving the game to Cleveland... the story is BOGUS. Moving the game we had to Detroit was a one off.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Line at -10 hasn’t moved an inch all week as the news of the bad weather is becoming more likely …

Tells me that people that are actually prepared to put their hard earned on the game have not moved over to the Steelers in any big way…

27 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

James Cook looks pretty close when he's clicking 

Cook is a very talented runner.  But McCoy had this uncanny ability to cut and maintain his balance no matter what the weather conditions, including the Snow Game.

Now perhaps Cook will show that ability on Sunday.  But as of now Not Proven.

24 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

New stadium but no roof so we can have weather advantage.  Playoff home game moved to Cleveland because of weather. Where is the advantage?

What playoff game has been moved to Cleveland?

Edited by Beck Water

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Cook is a very talented runner.  But McCoy had this uncanny ability to cut and maintain his balance no matter what the weather conditions, including the Snow Game.

Now perhaps Cook will show that ability on Sunday.  But as of now Not Proven.

What playoff game has been moved to Cleveland?

Shady grew up playing snow football with Shane Gillis in Central PA. Lifelong experience with that kind of footing makes a huge difference. I love our southern boys, but there's nothing like a cold weather kid. 

• Agree 1

I live a few hours from KC, and it's supposed to get downright cold this weekend....I think Saturday night has a low of -7 (northwest wind around 20 mph....with gusts close to 30 mph, and then you got the crazy wind chill values as well)....Could be a little chilly! Well, it's always fun getting out my Buffalo Bills winter gear, and wearing it in Chief Kingdom....Go Bills!

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BrettFavre said:

Shady grew up playing snow football with Shane Gillis in Central PA. Lifelong experience with that kind of footing makes a huge difference. I love our southern boys, but there's nothing like a cold weather kid. 

Yeah, that would explain it.  Diggs must have some experience playing in snow, but he makes his disdain for weather games clear.

I became kind of nervous when I heard the Bills practiced in the field house today.  There's nothing like actually getting out in the weather to prepare you for weather.

I'm not sure if we have anyone with that life experience on the Bills today.  Trent Sherfield (Danville, IL) might be the closest?  Or Kincaid, with his 3 years on the Utes?

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, that would explain it.  Diggs must have some experience playing in snow, but he makes his disdain for weather games clear.

I became kind of nervous when I heard the Bills practiced in the field house today.  There's nothing like actually getting out in the weather to prepare you for weather.

I'm not sure if we have anyone with that life experience on the Bills today.  Trent Sherfield (Danville, IL) might be the closest?  Or Kincaid, with his 3 years on the Utes?

Yep, Sherfield. Diggs should. Latavius is from Syracuse. Ty is from Cumberland, MD so basically West Virginia. Harty is from Baltimore. Gilliam is from Columbus.

In coverage, Rasul is from NJ, Benford is Baltimore, Dane and Damarr are from Pittsburgh, Hyde is Ohio, Cam is Detroit.

Pretty decent collection of cold weather skill guys.

• Like (+1) 1

This looks more like what I was expecting for Sunday with heavy lake snow expected for OP. 

Amounts expected likely will be in there by late tomorrow.

Latest from NOAA/NWS Buffalo:

"Sunday:

Snow showers likely before 1pm, then snow after 1pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. High near 23. Windy, with a west wind 29 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%."

53 minutes ago, Let's Go Buffalo said:

I live a few hours from KC, and it's supposed to get downright cold this weekend....I think Saturday night has a low of -7 (northwest wind around 20 mph....with gusts close to 30 mph, and then you got the crazy wind chill values as well)....Could be a little chilly! Well, it's always fun getting out my Buffalo Bills winter gear, and wearing it in Chief Kingdom....Go Bills!

I saw something online about the Chiefs game and the freezing cold that i haven’t seen before. Cardboard. Bring Cardboard.🤔

“The Chiefs will allow fans to bring in a piece of cardboard no larger that three feet tall and five feet wide to help keep their feet warm.

"Basically (the cardboard) it cuts down on the conduction," Shaffer said. "So it's not even so much the insulation part as it's just you're not in direct contact with the concrete."

Shaffer said when your boot or other footwear comes into contact with the cold concrete, it literally sucks the heat right out of the bottom of your feet.“

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I saw something online about the Chiefs game and the freezing cold that i haven’t seen before. Cardboard. Bring Cardboard.🤔

“The Chiefs will allow fans to bring in a piece of cardboard no larger that three feet tall and five feet wide to help keep their feet warm.

"Basically (the cardboard) it cuts down on the conduction," Shaffer said. "So it's not even so much the insulation part as it's just you're not in direct contact with the concrete."

Shaffer said when your boot or other footwear comes into contact with the cold concrete, it literally sucks the heat right out of the bottom of your feet.“

Amateur hour. Anyone who has been in these situations knows hunter heat packs are far more effective than a piece of cardboard.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.