Patriots at Bills postgame thread

BuffaloBill

1 hour ago, juno999 said:

Bills won and Fish lost.  The two most important things today.  Yeah the Bills did not look good on offense today but they made enough plays and won.  The Patriots are actually pretty good on defense and division games are usually pretty tough.  So I'll take the win and hope Allen plays better against the Fish.

Also the Bills probably would have put up 3 more points on offense had they not run off the clock. But the Pats defense did their best to try to hold them in the game but the Bills offense did enough.

I can’t think of a team in the Josh Allen era that can consistently run an effective 4 minute offense. The Bills took over the ball with 5ish minutes left and the Pats had all their timeouts plus the two minute warning. And the Bills not only grounded down the clock to zero but also got in field goal range.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, muppy said:

special teams have not been very special this season. The kicking game and coverages inconsistent. No TD's. I want more from that unit. 

Penalties too. 

For the life of me, idk why our coach thinks we need to try and pin them deep … injury riddled offense of a 4 win team with a back up QB….kick it through the back of the EZ and bring out your horses to get it done, not relying on Siran, Dane, Matekeich, Gillian, etc. 

The risk/reward is too large here. I’m alll for it when you’re playing a team with a legit offense and you can use any advantage, but this situation just gave life to an otherwise lifeless scoring team. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Good post. I'm not sure how you can feel confident about the Miami game? 

Did you read your post? Nothing in it displays confidence. 

Don't get me wrong the Bills can definitely win and hopefully they do. However, they can easily lose the road game as well. 

I'm optimistic but very concerned the Bills might not make the playoffs. Pretty bummed that a loss could very well send them home. I was really hoping after today the Bills clinched a playoff birth. 

I totally get your points, it’s not a logical argument on my part. I just think we are due for a good game and we are going to stomp Miami. I’ve got no good data to back that up haha

• Like (+1) 2

The reason I think we are going to spank Miami is I think we are going to bully them. Miami is soft, Buffalo is battle hardened. We’ve knocked a few teams around big time and I think we will do that to Miami. Wilkins is the only dude left on the D-line we need to gameplan for. Chubb is done for at least a year. As long as the ghost of Melvin Ingram doesn’t rear his ugly head and have another career day against us I think we run the ball down their blowholes and Josh finds his mojo.

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

The reason I think we are going to spank Miami is I think we are going to bully them. Miami is soft, Buffalo is battle hardened. We’ve knocked a few teams around big time and I think we will do that to Miami. Wilkins is the only dude left on the D-line we need to gameplan for. Chubb is done for at least a year. As long as the ghost of Melvin Ingram doesn’t rear his ugly head and have another career day against us I think we run the ball down their blowholes and Josh finds his mojo.

More than that it's that intangible thing that gets talked about all the time but is hard to quantify, Momentum.

Miami what 4-5 weeks ago had a 2-3 game lead at the top of the division, and just this week we're competing for the 1 seed. Now that lead is gone and they're going into week 18 competing not to be a wildcard team.

On the other side the Bills were dead in the water 5 weeks ago. On the outside looking in with the toughest part of their schedule left. Were all the wins pretty, no who cares, pretty, messy, ugly, whatever way you can find to win do it learn from it and keep moving. Now at week 18 we've got a shot at the playoffs not only that but the division and th 2 seed. The only thing in our way is those small bums kicked the ***** out of before.

One of these teams should feel like it's going down hill the other the opposite, and those fish don't even have any legs.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

Miami doesn’t feel like a team defense to me like NE is…they are a bunch of individual guys that specialize in one thing and what they like to do takes a huge hit with Chubb,Phillips,Howard out 

Easy money. Got the best of both worlds. I won my bet with the Pats and the points. The Bills won. Win win. 

I'm first (most wins vs spread) in my weekly pool. This week is the last week. Hopefully, I can take first place. I just picked the

Bills - 3 for one of my four picks. 

Let's go Bills!!!!

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

I will never understand why this team lets the likes of the Patriots and Chargers hang around after shellacking the Cowboys, Dolphins and Chiefs but I'm learning to live with it

I’ve been saying it all season, we play to the level of our opponent 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

More than that it's that intangible thing that gets talked about all the time but is hard to quantify, Momentum.

Miami what 4-5 weeks ago had a 2-3 game lead at the top of the division, and just this week we're competing for the 1 seed. Now that lead is gone and they're going into week 18 competing not to be a wildcard team.

On the other side the Bills were dead in the water 5 weeks ago. On the outside looking in with the toughest part of their schedule left. Were all the wins pretty, no who cares, pretty, messy, ugly, whatever way you can find to win do it learn from it and keep moving. Now at week 18 we've got a shot at the playoffs not only that but the division and th 2 seed. The only thing in our way is those small bums kicked the ***** out of before.

One of these teams should feel like it's going down hill the other the opposite, and those fish don't even have any legs.

This is really flawed thinking here. At best homerism. This no way the dolphins are thinking like this. 

It's a week to week league. The Dolphins will be ready to play the Bills at home. They will be confident they can beat the Bills especially in their building. 

Come on now stop this non sense talk. It's gonna be a dog fight likely down to the last possession or play. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Yep and some people think that buffalo is going to smash the fish next week. I'm not saying they can't win, but I don't get all the "we going to crush them" confidence. 

It happens every week around here. You’ve never noticed that?  That’s hard to believe. 

9 minutes ago, Billznut said:

It happens every week around here. You’ve never noticed that?  That’s hard to believe. 

Bingo. I've noticed it repeatedly. It's almost laughable. I'm met with great resistance when I disagree. So much as to be called a fan of other teams. So much as to get thrown into the penalty box for giving valid opinions. 

It is what it is. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

This is really flawed thinking here. At best homerism. This no way the dolphins are thinking like this. 

It's a week to week league. The Dolphins will be ready to play the Bills at home. They will be confident they can beat the Bills especially in their building. 

Come on now stop this non sense talk. It's gonna be a dog fight likely down to the last possession or play. 

We don't get blown out and we've been below our normal standard on the road this year so this is the most likely outcome.  To me the game comes down to our passing game somehow rediscovering itself again.  Joe Brady's job might be on the line for next year.

• Agree 1

That was the worst game of Josh Allen’s non rookie year career . Dude couldn’t complete a forward pass for almost an entire half. Against BACKUPS! some in the secondary were street FAs…hard to be excited and hard to not be very concerned going into what is ANOTHER do or die situation. 

he looks super panicky and jittery. Plays poorly. And in presser keeps saying he was just “off.” Mmmmmm whatttt? You can’t be just “off” vs division rival in crunch time at home. 

20 points scored by this O with 3 short fields ? 

very very concerning 

Edited by balln
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Bingo. I've noticed it repeatedly. It's almost laughable. I'm met with great resistance when I disagree. So much as to be called a fan of other teams. So much as to get thrown into the penalty box for giving valid opinions. 

It is what it is. 

You're a true martyr

1 hour ago, major said:

I’ve been saying it all season, we play to the level of our opponent 

Except when we blow them out, of course

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Yes they must be super confident in the 2/11 times they've won since Josh has been the Bills QB.

40 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You're a true martyr

Except when we blow them out, of course

No martyr at all. Plenty wrong on here. 

I'd rather think I offer a more cynical point of view to the unbalanced perspectives of many here. 

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yes they must be super confident in the 2/11 times they've won since Josh has been the Bills QB.

Truthfully, I don't think that plays a large role in next week's game. 

All three games last year were nail biters. This year the Bills manhandled them. What that means and how it motivates each team is really difficult to know. 

I have to say with confidence that both teams and coaches probably are very confident they can win. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, stuvian said:

I will never understand why this team lets the likes of the Patriots and Chargers hang around after shellacking the Cowboys, Dolphins and Chiefs but I'm learning to live with it

Allen is a great QB but it seems he has clunkers against lesser teams.  Is it him, the rest of the offense, the OC or a combination of all three?  No matter the answer they have to get it together in Miami.  I give the Bills a 75% chance of winning.  McD please stay aggressive on both sides of the ball. 

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

How can I put this nicely?

You claim to be a Bills fan.  OUR TEAM WON TODAY!  It’s well known that the NFL is a “parity” league, and on any given Sunday, any team can lose…we lost to the Pats earlier this season.  In addition, this was a Division game against one of the greatest coaches in the game, bar none.

And yet your reaction to our win is:

”The Bills, at home, played an awful NFL team who started their 3rd string QB, was missing their #1 RB, #1 WR, #2 WR, missed 2 FGs and had a -3 turnover margin. The Bills won by 6…SIX points! 🤮

That’s right, a Vomit emoji.

Let’s just say I’m not interested in the opinion of “what looks good on me” from a so-called Bills fan whose reaction to a critical team win is a Vomit emoji, and leave it at that.

Melodramatic much?  I hope you didn’t chip a nail typing this response.

Everything I stated was fact, not opinion but I’ll bite.

This is the second week in a row we played a 3rd string QB with his #1 and #2 WR out and we won by a single score.  Yes, a win is a win, but this isn’t going to cut it against a playoff caliber team.  Winning a game by 6 points, with a +3 turnover margin and your opponent missed 2 FG’s is deserving of a 🤮.  

Last week, the Bills barely escaped because it was a trap game where they traveled cross country on a short week and played an opponent with a new interim HC…what’s the excuse this week? 

It’s awesome that the Bills won the last two games, but there is major reason for concern especially on offense and special teams.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Allen is a great QB but it seems he has clunkers against lesser teams.  Is it him, the rest of the offense, the OC or a combination of all three?  No matter the answer they have to get it together in Miami.  I give the Bills a 75% chance of winning.  McD please stay aggressive on both sides of the ball. 

But he is an idiot. How can you play QB in this league and not learn to protect the ball? Could have had a 4th and 1 if he doesn't fumble. I think it's the combo. He still throws in to double coverage. Other teams receivers seem to be open but ours rarely are. His accuracy is off. We have 2 running plays. Cook off tackle and Murray up the middle

• Agree 2

46 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

This is the second week in a row we played a 3rd string QB with his #1 and #2 WR out and we won by a single score.  Yes, a win is a win, but this isn’t going to cut it against a playoff caliber team.  Winning a game by 6 points, with a +3 turnover margin and your opponent missed 2 FG’s is deserving of a 🤮.  

Last week, the Bills barely escaped because it was a trap game where they traveled cross country on a short week and played an opponent with a new interim HC…what’s the excuse this week? 

It’s awesome that the Bills won the last two games, but there is major reason for concern especially on offense and special teams.  

Do you get extra points for winning big? At no time yesterday did I feel the victory was in danger. 

1 minute ago, Freak-O said:

Do you get extra points for winning big? At no time yesterday did I feel the victory was in danger. 

1) Rhetorical question 2) The Bills should always try to win big because their win % in 1-score games is abysmal.  3) After being up, the Bills lost to the Pats on a game winning 4 quarter drive in the first matchup.  

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

75% seems way way to high. 

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Really well put. I agree 100%. 

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

I got a little uncomfortable near the end. The game shouldn't have even been close. 

Like it's been pointed out the win is great and top priority. 

The real question is can the offense be good enough next week and playoff time if the Bills make. Of course we hope it is. I think it's fair to be at least slightly disappointed and concerned about the offense going forward. 

I'm not sure why so many here are taking exception to others who are critical of the Bills O. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

and yet the biggest play of the game was an incredible punt that was downed at the 5 which basically killed the pats ability to run their offense.  

it was the most important play of the game and then like last week on the final drive, Allen hit guys repeatedly for first downs and they trusted the running game in this critical situation and they ran the ball out to win.  

The first half was where the passing game was struggling but the second half seemed fine.  Not getting the first down on 3rd and 1 early in the 4th was a big problem and kept the game up in the air.

ya you're right. just watched condensed version. Passing game was pretty good in 2nd half, nothing to brag about but not terrible and ya that final drive to get the w was great. 

Ya that punt was crucial,  that was his 2nd inside the 5, pretty incredible 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I hope they enjoyed their goofy practices and sloppy week of prep on offense because there's no way you have a stellar intense week of practice and game planning with that result unless JA17 got his head smacked early which coincidentally they showed a clip of him shaking his head, kinda like when you get rattled.

it looked like the offense was in preseason mode out there, zero motivation, skill players doing least credible effort, totally blah.  this team has a real problem with the spread, what i mean is they can't find motivation in games they should easily win.

4 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Duh 

what’s a third string qb have to do with how excellent the patriots defense has been playing and played yesterday ?

that defense is and was an excellent tune up for the playoffs - they are tough

• Eyeroll 1

I think the issue a lot of posters have is they aren’t comfortable with the anxiety that comes with football in general and especially Bills football. 

They want to be comfortable going into a game, knowing we are going to blow a team out, and have the game be essentially over at half time

Expectations - reality = disappointment

That’s why when we squeak by a team that people feel we should destroy there’s this outpouring of anger, disappointment, anxiety about the next game, etc.

You have to embrace the emotional roller coaster of any given Sunday because it’s true, any team can beat any team any Sunday.

So with this Bills team, from early season I realized it was going to be be way up and way down. We have no idea what team is going to show up every week.

The thing with this team is that you can usually tell within 1 or 2 drives if it’s going to be a nail biter or a comfortable win. 

Unfortunately, the last 2 games Josh has come right of the gate looking like ASS and I was like “here we go!” The guy we saw yesterday was Super High Josh, accuracy off, crap decision making, poor ball security, but he pulled it out again. Fortunately, the guy is a friggin warrior and he just keeps trying and more often than not he will win the game somehow or put us in a position to win and watch the defense give up a game winning drive.

So, I think we are due for a good game. I think we are going to establish the run and beat the sht out of Miami and Josh is going to regain some form. I except him to have a designed run in the first drive to lower his shoulder and get his head into the game quick. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

because we struggle in the most important area of current football and it used to make us feel so good.  Like no matter who we played we could beat anybody. 

because we are not the shinny new thing around that everyone is fired up about.  

because we win…but we don’t convince.

This is perceptive.

We won convincingly over the Cowboys, but we did it in an out-of-character way.  So I guess our wins against the Cowboys were not convincing.

But I can't shake the feeling that some people will never be happy.  Josh had 67.5% completions, 0 sacks, 2 passing TD, 359 net passing yards against the Jaguars.

He had 57% completions, 1 sack for 7 yards, 2 passing TD, 332 net passing yards against the Eagles.  I guess that would be doing pretty well in "the most important area of current football" but did it make us feel so good in those games? 

Hell to the No, we lost them.  We all felt like *****.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Duh 

what’s a third string qb have to do with how excellent the patriots defense has been playing and played yesterday ?

It's not just that.  On SNF someone put up a graphic of the starting QB for every team, then the current QB in a yellow color.  There were something like 5 teams in the AFC who were playing their season-starting QB (Baltimore, Miami, KC, Jags, and Bills).

The Browns just clinched the #5 seed on their what, 4th QB?  Who is 4-1 with them?  The Vikes are on what, their #4 QB and were playing for playoffs last night.  Just because a team is playing a backup QB doesn't mean they're DOA.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This is perceptive.

We won convincingly over the Cowboys, but we did it in an out-of-character way.  Our wins against the Cowboys were certainly not convincing.

But I can't shake the feeling that some people will never be happy.  Josh had 67.5% completions, 0 sacks, 2 passing TD, 359 net passing yards against the Jaguars.

He had 57% completions, 1 sack for 7 yards, 2 passing TD, 332 net passing yards against the Eagles.  I guess that would be doing pretty well in "the most important area of current football" but did it make us feel so good in those games? 

You could see it in the hallway cam where the players do the whole "Big Dub" schtick the whole vibe of the team is we do not give a ***** how it happens just win. Same in McDermotts speech in the Lockeroom not shrinking away from needing to keep working at things but embracing winning in whatever way they can.

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I got a little uncomfortable near the end. The game shouldn't have even been close. 

Like it's been pointed out the win is great and top priority. 

The real question is can the offense be good enough next week and playoff time if the Bills make. Of course we hope it is. I think it's fair to be at least slightly disappointed and concerned about the offense going forward. 

I'm not sure why so many here are taking exception to others who are critical of the Bills O. 

It's not "slightly disappointed and concerned about the offense" or "critical of the Bills O" that are causing exception, and I think you know this.

It's stuff like vomit emojis and unrelentingly negative posts about how the QB was poor, the WR can't separate, the OC's play calling and scheme are bad, and the team doesn't have the makeup or talent to make a deep playoff run.

If you play that stuff backwards, your dog comes back to life and your stolen truck pulls into your driveway.

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You could see it in the hallway cam where the players do the whole "Big Dub" schtick the whole vibe of the team is we do not give a ***** how it happens just win. Same in McDermotts speech in the Lockeroom not shrinking away from needing to keep working at things but embracing winning in whatever way they can.

That was funny.  Who was it who jumped on Shakir's back?  I gotta say Diggs didn't look too happy, though if he's gutting through something, he may have been jonesing for the treatment room.

Edited by Beck Water

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This is perceptive.

We won convincingly over the Cowboys, but we did it in an out-of-character way.  Our wins against the Cowboys were certainly not convincing.

Beck, I don’t disagree with you, but you are going back to a time (Eagles) that isn’t part of this.

i am one of those guys that so very rarely puts a loss on Josh.

I also think you mistook my comment for Josh is the problem.  No, it’s the team and it is the identity, but also it is what you can rely upon.  Even in losing (KC-13 seconds, Eagles, etc.) you know what you have and you know what you can count on if something goes awry. It is just unclear right now.

It is frustrating to watch a team like Cleveland have a 38 old man come in off the street after doing daddy duty and make passing look so easy…AGAIN, this is not a Josh comparison but an overall team, or rather offensive identity thing.

I’m one of the guys who started the never lose again threads, because it was the way. They are one game away from doing it to lock up the #2 seed and I am so proud of them.  

However, there are issues.

Go Bills.

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That was funny.  Who was it who jumped on Shakir's back?  I gotta say Diggs didn't look too happy, though if he's gutting through something, he may have been jonesing for the treatment room.

47 so Christian Benford, yeah Diggs is definitely dealing with something, and it's probably having a serious effect on our passing game. Not for nothing but being down our #1 WR and having an inconsistent #2 is not a good recipe. They need to get guys like Kincaid, Shakir and Knox more involved but Brady is likely adapting Dorsey's offense and that offense featured Diggs a lot.

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Beck, I don’t disagree with you, but you are going back to a time (Eagles) that isn’t part of this.

Wait, wat?  That happened this season.  It's one of the games that's the reason why we're playing for the Division and the #2 seed instead of talking about whether we'll rest our starters.  In what way is the Eagles game, or the Jax game for that matter, not part of this?

Just to be clear, though, I think you took my post as directed at you.  When I said "some people" I literally meant it - I was framing a general response.

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

I also think you mistook my comment for Josh is the problem.  No, it’s the team and it is the identity, but also it is what you can rely upon.  Even in losing (KC-13 seconds, Eagles, etc.) you know what you have and you know what you can count on if something goes awry. It is just unclear right now.

It is frustrating to watch a team like Cleveland have a 38 old man come in off the street after doing daddy duty and make passing look so easy…AGAIN, this is not a Josh comparison but an overall team, or rather offensive identity thing.

I’m one of the guys who started the never lose again threads, because it was the way. They are one game away from doing it to lock up the #2 seed and I am so proud of them.  

However, there are issues.

Go Bills.

There are most certainly issues.  And I'll say it - Josh could be the problem.  He's certainly been part of the problem when the dust settles and the game film has been dissected in detail.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Drew21PA said:

Duh 

Duh…like the game of football is determined by who scores the most points and like the offense, defense and special teams of both teams are the contributing factors.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.