Injured Bills coming back?

Bockeye

5 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Glad we will have Jones back. That is great news and even though Hyde has lost a step we need him in there over Rapp. Rapp is a tackling machine but awful in coverage. Shorter is a body catcher and won’t help Josh at all but maybe special teams he could be valuable. Hopefully Elam is healthy now and can be used in case of emergency because he did show some promise at the end of last year 

This is not a knock on your comment, but with the way our WR’s drop the ball, I’ll take any type of catch possible. 

Would love to see Shorter get a shot with how terrible our FA andditions are.

He’s 6’4” 229 lbs and ran an 4.55 40.  He also showed terrific hands at Penn State and Florida, dropping only six of 163 targets.  Takes him a bit to get to speed, but would be tough to cover. To your point though - those are some great attributes for ST’s as well. 

Will be interesting to see what the Bills do with him. 

Edited by Bockeye
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

My hope is Ty Johnson is back ASAP.  I like his fit with the OL blocking.  It would be great to see him back with the Bills next season.

Not sure if Justin Shorter is being considered right now for the 53.  I am leaning for him to be WR6, but someone has to go.

It seems he is either activated or they shut him down for the year to save his rookie contract status.

If he is activated, I guess they would have to waive a tackle and hope he slides to the PS.

It's getting to the time of the year that PS "elevations" could come into play if needed.

Does anyone have a list of current PS players and how many times they have been elevated?

Really tough runner too with a nice burst. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bockeye said:

This is not a knock on your comment, but with the way our WR’s drop the ball, I’ll take any type of catch possible. 

He’s 6’4” 229 lbs and ran an 4.55 40.  He also showed terrific hands at Penn State and Florida, dropping only six of 163 targets.  Takes him a bit to get to speed, but would be tough to cover. To your point though - those are some great attributes for ST’s as well. 

Hope I’m wrong on him but besides being a physical specimen of a human he doesn’t impress me as a WR. He didn’t do much with Anthony Richardson as his QB and doesn’t pass the eye test when it comes to being an NFL WR. But who knows maybe he got in the jugs machine hard while on IR and learned how to play the position from Diggs and how to snag a ball with his hands from Kincaid 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Good point. Is this going to be an issue with Mitch Morse, too?

I get the impression that Morse only stays if he takes a pay cut.

Yes. Morse and Dawkins are both cuttable and only on the books for 2024. We may be looking for both new starters in 2 years. 

Morse is also always a retirement risk with his concussion history. 

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yes. Morse and Dawkins are both cuttable and only on the books for 2024. We may be looking for both new starters in 2 years. 

Morse is also always a retirement risk with his concussion history. 

Dawkins I think will get an extension to spread the cap number. Hes been playing extremely well.

Morse I do believe 2024 will be his last year

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

At the beginning of the year, Buffalo's defense was ferocious. Injuries took them down a notch but some key additions by Beane kept things from turning into a complete tire fire. If DaQuan comes back 100% and our DEs heal up, this team will be well positioned for the playoffs and to finally win the big one. That defensive line is the key. Everyone is so focused on the offense, but the defense, I believe is what will push this team over the hump. Again, DaQuan is the one player that can transform this defense. His ability to eat up double teams is so underrated and god help them if they don't double him. Curious what will happen this week, because the roster is currently only at 52. Hoping to see him gets some live action even if limited reps, so he has something to build on.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rockinon said:

At the beginning of the year, Buffalo's defense was ferocious. Injuries took them down a notch but some key additions by Beane kept things from turning into a complete tire fire. If DaQuan comes back 100% and our DEs heal up, this team will be well positioned for the playoffs and to finally win the big one. That defensive line is the key. Everyone is so focused on the offense, but the defense, I believe is what will push this team over the hump. Again, DaQuan is the one player that can transform this defense. His ability to eat up double teams is so underrated and god help them if they don't double him. Curious what will happen this week, because the roster is currently only at 52. Hoping to see him gets some live action even if limited reps, so he has something to build on.

You missed that Elam was activated and is #53.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I disagree on both counts. Dawkins is playing very well. 

Brown has improved, but his strength seems to be run blocking.

9 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Agree with the first part, but the roster is 53 since today was the end of Elam's 21-day-window to return.  So to activate Daquan, the Bills will have to waive someone or put someone on IR.

My totally personal based-on-nothing guess is that the wiser heads really want to IR Hyde (and likely wanted to before the Dallas game) but Hyde is fighting it tooth and nail.

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

You missed that Elam was activated and is #53.

Yea, just noticed that. Looks like another week for DQ. Maybe they still activate him....

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Brown has improved, but his strength seems to be run blocking.

Agree with the first part, but the roster is 53 since today was the end of Elam's 21-day-window to return.  So to activate Daquan, the Bills will have to waive someone or put someone on IR.

My totally personal based-on-nothing guess is that the wiser heads really want to IR Hyde (and likely wanted to before the Dallas game) but Hyde is fighting it tooth and nail.

Poona could be the odd man out.

• Agree 1

On 12/26/2023 at 12:30 PM, FireChans said:

Elam ain’t coming back. 

They stashed him on IR and replaced him with Norman.

How did that prediction work out for you?  If they really figured they were going to stash him, they wouldn't have bothered opening his 21 day window.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/26/2023 at 2:50 PM, Bockeye said:

He also plays very good special teams
I look at shorter as a look at the future not necessarily this year

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I was wrong. Happens so rarely, I don’t mind admitting it.

Never understood why people post like this now you’re gonna have everybody hanging on every prediction you have and pointing it out every time you’re wrong

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

He also plays very good special teams
I look at shorter as a look at the future not necessarily this year

Never understood why people post like this now you’re gonna have everybody hanging on every prediction you have and pointing it out every time you’re wrong

I don’t care

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I've had the same thought. But then I have also been drunk for about 7 days straight so don't take too much notice of me....

• Haha (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes Nathan P5t5rman has fooled a lot of front offices and coaches.

Peterdude is just Catnip for Coaches, I swear it.   Something about him must just be irresistable

He's still in the league, you know - with the Bears

Spotrac gives his career earnings as $7.4M

That's right, $7.4M for a guy who has started 5 NFL games (1-4 record) and thrown 4 TD to 13 INT

He's kind of like the Buddy Holly (or Elvis Costello) of NFL QB - for you youngsters, that'd be the ordinary-looking guy in the thick birth-control glasses who made every guy in HS think "hey, if that dude could be a rock star then why couldn't I?"

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Peterdude is just Catnip for Coaches, I swear it.   Something about him must just be irresistable

That's right, $7.4M for a guy who has started 5 NFL games (1-4 record) and thrown 4 TD to 13 INT

He's kind of like the Buddy Holly (or Elvis Costello) of NFL QB - for you youngsters, that'd be the ordinary-looking guy in the thick birth-control glasses who made every guy think "hey, if that dude could be a rock star then why couldn't I?"

From all accounts, Peterman is a whiteboard wizard who seduces coaches with knowledge of the game. It's just too bad for him that his arm makes Tua look like Dan Marino.

On 12/26/2023 at 7:37 PM, NeverOutNick said:

Hope I’m wrong on him but besides being a physical specimen of a human he doesn’t impress me as a WR. He didn’t do much with Anthony Richardson as his QB and doesn’t pass the eye test when it comes to being an NFL WR. But who knows maybe he got in the jugs machine hard while on IR and learned how to play the position from Diggs and how to snag a ball with his hands from Kincaid 

And block like Davis?

36 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He's kind of like the Buddy Holly (or Elvis Costello) of NFL QB - for you youngsters, that'd be the ordinary-looking guy in the thick birth-control glasses who made every guy in HS think "hey, if that dude could be a rock star then why couldn't I?"

I had a classmate like that.  Knew as much every professor he had a class with but when he got to a test he froze up.

He met with dean, dean was convinced he was too good to lose and gave instructions for professors to give him oral tests.

1 hour ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Professors giving students oral tests is a bit tricky in liberal colleges. There's too many variations on what is considered a test.

There's actually a long history of oral examinations in liberal colleges, dating back to the very first universities in Medieval Europe.  It wasn't until the late 19th-19th century that University examinations began to shift from oral to written, and some oral examinations were retained at Oxford (and I think Cambridge) into the 20th century. 

They're still part of post-graduate education, including in the US, in the form of oral preliminary and thesis defense exams for  PhD (US) and "viva voce" exams (Europe).

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Professors giving students oral tests is a bit tricky in liberal colleges. There's too many variations on what is considered a test.

I'm surprised Florida will even have colleges/universities in 20 years with the way things are going... might as well call them institutions...

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/27/2023 at 9:29 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

This aged well

Elam was always coming back, some just didn’t have the mind to wrap around this…, 😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.