That was the Chargers Super Bowl

Einstein

And they lost.

Think about it

- A team with nothing to lose

- 12 point underdogs (feel disrespected)

- Just had 8 days off and are playing at home (while we had to fly across the country with only 5 days off)

- Get the Interim head coach bump

- Fired up players that want to impress for next years coaching staff

All of that is a dangerous combo.

Most teams wouldn’t have looked their best today against the Chargers.

They came out punching, we gave them three extra drives (turnovers), and we still won. 

how many times did we see the Super Bowl patriots teams over the years pull close wins out of their butt? 

Many, many times.

I know a lot of you probably feel a little down after that performance. Don’t. We are nine and six, and we control our own destiny.

GO BILLS!!!

HEY EY EY EY.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 29
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 18
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Doesn't matter. That was not a good performance by the Bills, no matter which way you slice it. The team out there today with that effort does not sniff a super bowl. Glad they got the win, but that Chargers team has a bunch of nobodies out there. It should not have been close.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I have a feeling that’s going to be a bloodbath - we’re going to eat Jones (or Zappe?) alive at the Ralph.

Yeah, feels that home field is the major factor there. Not just that we're the better team. The nerves won't be nearly as on show, i hope

3 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Doesn't matter. That was not a good performance by the Bills, no matter which way you slice it. The team out there today with that effort does not sniff a super bowl. Glad they got the win, but that Chargers team has a bunch of nobodies out there. It should not have been close.

Chargers gave it their best, my hats off to them.  Having said that, the Bills did not play very well for the most part

Edited by Gunsgoodtime
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, QB Bills said:

Yeah man nobodies like Khalil Mack and Austin Ekeler.

Tell me more about how you haven’t watched any football this year. It’s a sloppy season. Flacco is playoff bound. There are no teams decimating by 40.

Good lord the 2011 Pats did a number on Bills fans. Dominance like that is not the norm anymore, it is an absolute grind. I ask this every week: tell me what team is dominating in the way you want the Bills to dominate? Even SF had that 3 game break down and if it’s not them you got nobody 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

And they lost.

A team with nothing to lose, 12 point underdogs, an Interim head coach, fired up players that want to impress for next years coaching staff, etc. That’s a dangerous combo. Most teams wouldn’t have looked their best today.

They came out punching, we gave them three extra drives (turnovers), and we still won. 

how many times did we see the Super Bowl patriots teams over the years pull close wins out of their butt? 

Many, many times.

I know a lot of you probably feel a little down after that performance. Don’t. We are nine and six, and we control our own destiny.

GO BILLS!!!

HEY EY EY EY.

It’s just that Chargers played tough, the Bills had a ton of penalties and turned the ball over twice in the own territory and once near midfield.  Still the result of those turnovers were 13 points.  

My concern is that the offense looked very disjointed again.  Bad performance by the OL and Diggs just doesn’t look the same.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

And they lost.

A team with nothing to lose, 12 point underdogs, an Interim head coach, fired up players that want to impress for next years coaching staff, etc. That’s a dangerous combo. Most teams wouldn’t have looked their best today.

Many, many times.

GO BILLS!!!

HEY EY EY EY.

This is a good take.  Every once in a while I go back and look at late-season games in 1964 and in the Super Bowl run.  There were a lot of these games.   Win and advance.  Find a way to win.   Cough up the lead late in the fourth quarter?  Well, find a way to win.  

It's easier to find a way when Josh Allen is the QB.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I appreciate the optimism, but that was the Bills Super Bowl as well.

If they lost, they go home. Season is likely over.

Can't let teams stick around like that. Love the win though and I'm thrilled, regardless.

Right, I'd understand that logic more if we were coasting to the playoffs and this was just another game for us. But we had much more on the line here than they did. 

10 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Tell me more about how you haven’t watched any football this year. It’s a sloppy season. Flacco is playoff bound. There are no teams decimating by 40.

Good lord the 2011 Pats did a number on Bills fans. Dominance like that is not the norm anymore, it is an absolute grind. I ask this every week: tell me what team is dominating in the way you want the Bills to dominate? Even SF had that 3 game break down and if it’s not them you got nobody 

lol apparently you’ve never seen the weekly predict the score threads here. The vast vast majority of the picks have the Bills routinely winning by 40 or so points. This week people were especially optimistic of the 40 point victory with the Chargers assuredly going to roll over for us. I’d say by the predictions and your quoted assertion, that a lot of people on here definitely don’t watch football. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, DuckyBoys said:

Chargers fired all their canons They played hard 60 minutes   Give it to the interim staff they had the team playing hard with nothing on the line and Bills fans having taken over their stadium

The Chargers played about as well as they could today considering their available personnel. I wasn’t surprised. What did surprise me was how badly the Bills played today, considering their personnel. Bills were lucky to escape today considering all their mistakes. 

18 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

You’re not allowed to say “that was *insert team*’s Super Bowl” when your team has never won a Super Bowl. Sound like a Pats fan anytime an AFC East team beat them during their dynasty.

You don’t seem to understand what that phrase means, if you think only teams that have won a SB can say it.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I had a feeling that Staley's firing would get them fired up

Agreed and you could tell from the get-go that the Chargers were trying to make a statement.

They ran several trick plays you rarely ever see in a regular season game of a 5-9 team.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Einstein said:

And they lost.

Many, many times.

GO BILLS!!!

HEY EY EY EY.

Throw in an athletic qb you have no film on and it was a tough task once they got behind.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

Throw in an athletic qb you have no film on and it was a tough task once they got behind.

Yeah, Stick or Slick or whatever his name was made some very impressive throws today. And he can move.

We still outscored them 24-12 over the final 3 quarters.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Interim coach debut game. East coast team flying west. 9 days to our short week (6 days) for them to prepare. 

This had me nervy all week, which turns out was warranted. A win is a win.

Me too. I felt better going into the Dallas game than this one.

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You don’t seem to understand what that phrase means, if you think only teams that have won a SB can say it.

I know exactly what it means. It’s a phrase used by bitter fans of teams who have recently won a SB or have won several in the past right after losing a game.

Here’s a question for you. Do you honestly believe that this was a huge important game to the Chargers?? A game right after they accepted this season a failure by firing their HC?? Be honest.

Edited by gobills404
  • Disagree 2

And we needed it to potentially make the playoffs. This team is identical to one from the first half of the season. To the one who lost to the Bengals last year in the playoffs. People want to assign a new hope based on what I don't know. The team coming together after the McD article? A KC Chief player being Offside? Destroying a perennial choke job in the Cowboys? This team is not capable of imposing its will for multiple games. They never have been. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I know exactly what it means. It’s a phrase used by bitter fans of teams who have recently won a SB or have won several in the past right after losing a game.

Here’s a question for you. Do you honestly believe that this was a huge important game to the Chargers?? A game right after they accepted this season a failure by firing their HC?? Be honest.

Clearly yes.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I know exactly what it means. It’s a phrase used by bitter fans of teams who have recently won a SB

Wrong.

No.

You may have seen it used by fans of teams in that situation. But it is NOT what it means.

- Just had 8 days off and are playing at home (while we had to fly across the country with only 5 days off)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I have a feeling that’s going to be a bloodbath - we’re going to eat Jones (or Zappe?) alive at the Ralph.

Agree. You have a game like this, sloppy, minus 3 turnovers, penalties, inferior team leading late… McDermott will have their full attention this week, and it’s a revenge game for the Bills which we don’t have too many of these days.

• Disagree 1

Probably not at all...probably more a team coming off a coaching fire with 8 days to prep, at home, a QB that NEEDED to be better to plant himself another 2+ years in the NFL, a Bills team that needed to win that went down early....all saying that it was a normal football game by a team that was driven for the first time since week 10 maybe.

Edited by ALLinALLEN

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Wrong.

No.

You may have seen it used by fans of teams in that situation. But it is NOT what it means.

What stakes do the Bills need to be more focused than they should have been today? I don't disagree the Chargers were going to bring it. Still, at what point does a Super Bowl threat just flat take care of business against a non playoff team with a back up QB? Did we really do that today? 

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Agree. You have a game like this, sloppy, minus 3 turnovers, penalties, inferior team leading late… McDermott will have their full attention this week, and it’s a revenge game for the Bills which we don’t have too many of these days.

I wish I was that confident. To be blunt, the Bills were sloppy from the Jags through to the Broncos. That’s six weeks on the spin. Being at Highmark should help next week but the weaknesses and issues have not magically disappeared with Dorsey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

46 minutes ago, Einstein said:

And they lost.

Think about it

Many, many times.

GO BILLS!!!

HEY EY EY EY.

Agree 100 percent. A victory in this game was always going to require facing a lot of adversity. Now that we passed the test (barely), the Bills are going to roll the Pats. Onward and upward

1 minute ago, Mikie2times said:

What stakes do the Bills need to be more focused than they should have been today? 

I don’t think it has anything to do with them not being focused.

They flew to the complete opposite side of the Country, after only 5 days rest, to play a team that is rejuvenated after firing a bad head coach, and is on 8 days rest.

I don’t think the Bills played their best but i’m also not shocked, given the circumstances.

23 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Wrong.

No.

INCORRECT!

Let me try:

- A team whose HC has never even been a coordinator

- A team with a backup QB

- A team missing their top 2 WRs

- A team with of one the worst defenses in the NFL

- A team with nearly 0% chance of making the playoffs (nothing to gain)

Lmao quite possibly the least dangerous combo in the league

Edited by gobills404
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

31 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

The coaches are coaching for their jobs and the players are playing for their next contract so yes.  Who is ‘they’ that accepted their failure lol. They fired a head coach that was terrible…it will help the team if anything 

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

And they lost.

Think about it

Many, many times.

GO BILLS!!!

HEY EY EY EY.

Not to mention having no real idea what their gameplans would look like on either offense or defense or what the new coaches liked to do in certain key situations. That advantage cannot be overstated.  Bills prepared based on what they could but a lot of that changed I am sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, gobills404 said:

INCORRECT!

Let me try:

- A team whose HC has never even been a coordinator

- A team with a backup QB

- A team missing their top 2 WRs

- A team with of one the worst defenses in the NFL

- A team with nearly 0% chance of making the playoffs (nothing to gain)

Lmao quite possibly the least dangerous combo in the league

It was a dangerous combo for the reasons he pointed out, but one a team in a must win position with Super Bowl aspirations should overcome as you pointed out. Some will say we did in fact overcome it, but to me, I just don't see the big black and white differences that would make me think much has changed as so many other do. We are running the football more, sure. We are also going on long offensive droughts where we can't generate a first down. Defense is touch and go. We let a 2nd stringer with very few weapons move the ball pretty easily. I really don't see what so many are seeing as far as this team making some glorious playoff run. I don't know what evidence we have to lean on such a consideration. I don't put Dallas on the level the national media did especially on the road. They have had so many late season choke jobs against decent teams. Then we beat KC on a coin flipper. Same as SD. Good to see coin flippers go our way, but what is really making this iteration of the Bills better than previous ones? 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

And they lost.

Think about it

Many, many times.

GO BILLS!!!

HEY EY EY EY.

Not only all that. but they also got humiliated in their last game. They were playing for pride and the Bills still won. If not for the Harty fumble the Chargers wouldn't have had a TD.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

How important was the game for a terrible Colts team that had just fired Frank Reich and went off the beaten path to hire Jeff Saturday from ESPN's Gameday shows and who had never been a coach in the NFL and he promptly won his first game he coached...then didn't win another game the rest of the year. I'd put money that over the last 5 years teams that fire their coaches in season have a winning record in their first game with the new coach.  It's a huge advantage to have a clean slate with the other team not knowing any tendencies or your gameplans on either side of the ball.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

Seriously? 

look I hear the criticism but golly - I don’t think people realize how hard it is for them to win out west?

the bills were like 0-9 playing this franchise over the last 25 years or something like that 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.