Bills @ Chargers Game Thread - 2nd half

Simon

5 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

You get a boost in the ESPN weekly rankings, which means a lot to people.

Oh okay, now it makes sense as to why that guy was so upset we didn't "crush them"

Here i am a 45 year old fan that has been watching the NFL for getting close to 40 years and championship teams have close games against non contenders every year.  So, while we need to not commit multiple turnovers, and clean things up, the fact this game under these circumstances was close isn't concerning to me!

The Goldbergs Fight GIF by ABC Network

Edited by TBBills Fan

I had to listen on the radio.  That gives me a little different, though probably less valid perspective.  I heard the Bills playing a very sloppy game.  A few questionable flags. Too many penalties.  Josh seemed to be having an off game.  Having an extra offensive lineman in the game, which Buffalo used a lot, seemed to be virtually useless.  On defense, Taylor Rapp seems to be a significant liability in coverage.  I can't say I'm surprised since his strength is physicality rather than athleticism and coverage ability.  Buffalo needs Hyde to get healthy for the playoffs.  I think the Bills were clearly hurt by the disparity in the rest time between the two teams, the Chargers having 9 days to Buffalo's 6 days. I'm not offering this as an excuse.  I'm saying when the other team has an advantage like that. the Bills need to dig deeper to find the focus to overcome the disparity.  The Bills have enough talent that they should be able to overcome that kind of advantage and still win handily.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Oh okay, now it makes sense as to why that guy was so upset we didn't "crush them"

Here i am a 45 year old fan that has been watching the NFL for getting close to 40 years and championship teams have close games against non contenders every year.  So, while we need to not commit multiple turnovers, and clean things up, the fact this game under these circumstances was close isn't concerning to me!

The Goldbergs Fight GIF by ABC Network

I’m 48 and I remember the Kelly bills having tight sphincter games all the time. I think they clinched the 88 division title against a bad Jets team in Orchard Park, 9-6.  I don’t recall desiring style points. 

All I know is that after the Denver loss, I was certain they were missing the playoffs. This feels like bonus time right now. Just keep finding a way. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

I’m 48 and I remember the Kelly bills having tight sphincter games all the time. I think they clinched the 88 division title against a bad Jets team in Orchard Park, 9-6.  I don’t recall desiring style points. 

All I know is that after the Denver loss, I was certain they were missing the playoffs. This feels like bonus time right now. Just keep finding a way. 

I was thinking of that game to. We were clinching in early December with that game. The Jets were awful then and we were the creme of the crop.  And it was a home game

I was thinking the same thing after Denver.  

It is bonus time and I love to see them just getting it done.  I now think "the 2023 Buffalo Bills" special on ESPN is gonna be the one I watch where they hoist the Lombardi at the end

Edited by TBBills Fan

20 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

watch a lot of football and you will understand what I am saying.  The league is about winning close games and doing it in a fashion that is repeatable...not a miracle play, but methodical play and playing with poise at the critical moments.

SF lost to Cle with a backup qb, miami lost at home to will levis, dallas lost to josh dobbs, eagles lost to the jets....etc.etc.etc..

this is a week to week league.  The trick is winning close games and being able to play with poise when you are under the most pressure.

The fact that they closed out both the Chiefs and Chargers on the road… I think they will need to flex that muscle come playoff time. And, they are doing it with a decimated defense.

Why did Von take Floyd’s snaps? Von still can’t get any burst off that knee. He looks like an old man trying to outside rush, and he can’t spin. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I had to listen on the radio.  That gives me a little different, though probably less valid perspective.  I heard the Bills playing a very sloppy game.  A few questionable flags. Too many penalties.  Josh seemed to be having an off game.  Having an extra offensive lineman in the game, which Buffalo used a lot, seemed to be virtually useless.  On defense, Taylor Rapp seems to be a significant liability in coverage.  I can't say I'm surprised since his strength is physicality rather than athleticism and coverage ability.  Buffalo needs Hyde to get healthy for the playoffs.  I think the Bills were clearly hurt by the disparity in the rest time between the two teams, the Chargers having 9 days to Buffalo's 6 days. I'm not offering this as an excuse.  I'm saying when the other team has an advantage like that. the Bills need to dig deeper to find the focus to overcome the disparity.  The Bills have enough talent that they should be able to overcome that kind of advantage and still win handily.

Josh missed some throws but made a few near impossible plays to close out the game.  I genuinely don’t know what our bar for an ‘off game’ is anymore lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Josh missed some throws but made a few near impossible plays to close out the game.  I genuinely don’t know what our bar for an ‘off game’ is anymore lol 

Anyone think Shakir wasn’t actually touched down (speaking of impossible Josh throws)? I thought it was so bang-bang, that they maintain the call the field. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

Fun to see Bills Mafia take over LA. So many Bills fans here. I expected this to be tough with LA getting extra rest, road game on a short week and fire head coach bump. 

I will say Brady did a good job of drawing up shot plays here, but Allen missed 2 of them because of deep ball accuracy. Gameplan seemed to be to let the Bills receivers go deep vs the man to man and that was smart, but Allens gotta execute those. He threw to the wrong side of Sherfield in the first quarter and the interception to Diggs one that was underthrown and picked. Good decision, bad throws by Allen. If one of those hits, it's a different game I think. Davis will flash against teams that play this sort of man coverage, and it helped the pass catchers get open when they did today.

Chargers did a good job against the run and the offensive line struggled on the road again.

Where I'll give the Bills credit is they got the ones they had to have, and that was the difference. Allen converted 2 third downs on the last drive to Diggs and Shakir. Also, thank the Lord for Ed Oliver.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

All that matters is that the Buffalo Bills won and I am good with that as a Bills fan. I have said that for years on many different boards over years like a broke record all that matters in Buffalo sports regardless of the sport the only stat that matters is W for the win and L for the loss. There is no curtain number three like the television game show “Let’s Make A Deal” or look at some analytical stat those stats means nothing it’s W or L in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, mannc said:

We already control our destiny 

This has been sticking in YE OLE’s craw. Chris Brown has been saying all week that if Jax loses tomorrow we control our own destiny. He said it again tonight when they signed off after the game. Nate Geary reiterated it on the postgame tonight. As you have aptly states mannc… we already control our own destiny. For better or worse after the dumpster fire that was this game.

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills would have blown them out too if dumb players hadn't committed dumb turnovers. 

Yeah Cook seems to be a bit of a dunce.   Sharty had a rep as a fumbler in NOLA so it's been refreshing that he has been catching everything and not spilling it until now.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

What made me have to walk to the kitchen is, after the refs imploded that drive, there was a block in the back right in front of the official at the point of the return… no call. This officiating is just all over the place. It must be exhausting for the players. 

Haha it was not all over the place tonight it was all in one place 😂

41 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

Anyone think Shakir wasn’t actually touched down (speaking of impossible Josh throws)? I thought it was so bang-bang, that they maintain the call the field. 

There's a myth that evidence must be clear and convincing to overturn the call on the field.  What they do now is take their best guess about what happened,  Maybe that's better actually but it's not the story that they tell us.

• Agree 1

Allen has a bad game every now and then.  When he has one and the Bills still win, take it and enjoy the outcome.  

He missed several wide open receivers in the first half, and his INT came on a play when he had Diggs open and underthrew him.  I don't know if he has a problem going back to the Cowboys game when he made a few good throws but Cook's running was the star.  He hasn't been really great since the KC game.

19 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yep agreed. 3 turnovers  to 0. Some lame penalties. Weird dynamics for travel schedule .

a win is a win

Cook played like he was still sick.  Josh underthrowing Diggs really hurt. That could've easily been a td.  Plus by the 4th quarter,  the Bills were in 11pm mode.  Penalties also factored in bigtime.  I personally thought Shakir got his knee up?  Wierd night but so impressed with the Mafia turnout tonight.  It may have been ugly but still a DUB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Cook played like he was still sick.  Josh underthrowing Diggs really hurt. That could've easily been a td.  Plus by the 4th quarter,  the Bills were in 11pm mode.  Penalties also factored in bigtime.  I personally thought Shakir got his knee up?  Wierd night but so impressed with the Mafia turnout tonight.  It may have been ugly but still a DUB.

Allen missing a wide open Davis in man coverage across the field early on, I believe the first or second drive was a potential TD as well.  There was nobody back there and Davis had at least 3-4 yards and was running away from the defender in coverage.

• Agree 1

this is a really exciting season.

i know it's in the bills culture and history to just come and stomp teams by 50 points and win the superbowl every year. cough. cough. 

but this has been a thrilling up and down ride so far compared to most i've seen. and if sport is not exciting, and you're not haunted by the jeopardy of defeat, what is the point of it?

we were done after denver and we're still standing at christmas and largely thanks to a man called rudolph.  have a good one, all.

Edited by Bill Grundy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Tim Tindale said:

I believe Fred Smerlas of all people blocked the tying FG too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The ugliest win is nicer than a strong moral victory. I got too many of the latter in the drought years

Ill take this ugly win over the beautiful loss to the Eagles 🤔

Football is funny, you got teams like us who do VERY well against some of the best teams around, yet struggle against the bad teams...Browns are the same way, beat the two best teams in Football this season, yet are still fighting for a playoff spot

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.