Rumor re: Brandon Staley (to be let go at year's end)

zow2

14 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The Herd has a report that barring a miracle, the LA Chargers are moving off of Brandon Staley at the end of the season.  The owner of the Chargers won't fire a coach in-season but he's reportedly gone.

Talk about some 'insider' reporting on one of the most obvious pending coaching changes coming.

Won't be surprised if the chargers go all in on Belichik if the rumors about Kraft trading him are true.

24 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The Herd has a report that barring a miracle, the LA Chargers are moving off of Brandon Staley at the end of the season.  The owner of the Chargers won't fire a coach in-season but he's reportedly gone.

The only position I'd even consider him for is defensive coordinator. Other than that no thank you. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

Talk about some 'insider' reporting on one of the most obvious pending coaching changes coming.

Won't be surprised if the chargers go all in on Belichik if the rumors about Kraft trading him are true.

It might be obvious to general fans, but this is the first hint at this coaching change from inside their headquarters.   For Bills fans, this could affect how LA plays Buffalo on Christmas,  we shall see.  It also will affect available coaching candidates if the Bills make a change themselves.

The last couple weeks I heard Belichek possibly to Washington and just today heard the Carolina owner will be pursuing BB very hard.

22 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Chargers?!  Spend money?!  Aside from the contract for Herbert, I didn't think they did spend money. 😁

3 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

A nice potential candidate available in Ben Johnson. One that fits exactly the type of change the Bills should be considering. And, there are a couple others as well. Unfortunately the timing will be such that the Bills will miss the window.

Ben Johnson is too run heavy

• Haha (+1) 1

The more i think about it, barring a miracle, like Staley….  McDermott has got to go. 

You have a few more years kicking the can with Herbert and Allen.  Gotta get whatever offensive genius is out there to team up with Allen.  Heck maybe it’s even Joe Brady if the offense continues to kill it… because he will get scooped up too if they average 30pts per game in the final seven.

• Like (+1) 1

Staley was a media darling a few years ago because he’d go on these passionate philosophical rants at his press conference and because he’d always go for it on 4th down.  

I think after his rookie season when his 4th down decisions backfired and theyu missed the playoffs, he was reeled in.  

Oddly enough the downfall of his teams were always defense

19 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

A nice potential candidate available in Ben Johnson. One that fits exactly the type of change the Bills should be considering. And, there are a couple others as well. Unfortunately the timing will be such that the Bills will miss the window.

OCs will be begging to interview for a job where they get to coach a HOF talent like JA17. This is not a job with a penny pinching owner and Trent Edwards at QB

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The more i think about it, barring a miracle, like Staley….  McDermott has got to go. 

You have a few more years kicking the can with Herbert and Allen.  Gotta get whatever offensive genius is out there to team up with Allen.  Heck maybe it’s even Joe Brady if the offense continues to kill it… because he will get scooped up too if they average 30pts per game in the final seven.

Brady even gets a trial run here which is nice.  He never got much run in carolina namely because.. the team had little talent other than CMC - who was hurt for most of the games brady coached there.  

10 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Brady even gets a trial run here which is nice.  He never got much run in carolina namely because.. the team had little talent other than CMC - who was hurt for most of the games brady coached there.  

Yep. Nobody knows, the guy could be the next McVay or any number of recent young coaches who we didn’t see coming.

If those offensive numbers continue to pop in his short tenure, other organizations will quickly take notice.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Told my best friend that our game against the Chargers in December should be renamed the “fired bowl”.

Whoever loses is getting fired 100%.

• Haha (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Ben Johnson is too run heavy

Interesting. But, looking at the numbers doesn't bear this out. Bills 332 rushes and Lions 328. Bills have about a pass or two more a game. Yardage is not significantly differently. Evidence doesn't bear this out, and you never know how a coordinator will adjust with the QB talent he has. Allen vs Goff could yield a very different product.

• Like (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to Rumor re: Brandon Staley (to be let go at year's end)

Who cares. We have our own coach problems to worry about. Chargers owner Stamos is garbage. Pulled out of San Diego after the loyal fans stuck by that team for 58 years!! . Chargers history is almost as bad as the Bills yet the SD fans stayed loyal. Moves to LA where the Chargers have NO home field advantage whatsoever. (Same as the Rams, and now the Raiders). The NFL only cares about maximizing revenue period. Fans mean less than zero. It's beyond a miracle we still have the Bills and are getting a stadium to boot.     

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Joe Brady has certainly invigorated the offense.  If the offense continues to roll with him at the controls, no reason to not consider him.  Given the talent on our roster over the past several years, I believe McDermott has accomplished as little as a head coach could have with it.  So we can only go up with the next hire.  

Brandon Staley gives a good interview and comes off as a sharp dude.  But the results on the field have not been stellar.  Keenan Allen is a beast.  But they don't have a good enough ground game.  There O line is porous.  And Herbert is not a winner.    

Why does everyone act like Allen is on the downside of his career already? Some of you guys are absolutely nuts.

He’s 27. He’s got a DECADE minimum of high quality QB play left in him. So many people acting like we’ve got 2 years to win a SB.

Listen, I get it. I’ve been a fan for 45 years now, my parents are die hards from before the NFL and they don’t have a lot more years so I want a SB quick for them too.

But, the rhetoric is just getting completely out of control here.

The reality is we aren’t likely making the playoffs and McD is going to be the coach next year. I’m off the McD train but unless we lose out I can’t see Pegula changing head coaches after 1 bad year. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Why does everyone act like Allen is on the downside of his career already? Some of you guys are absolutely nuts.

He’s 27. He’s got a DECADE minimum of high quality QB play left in him. So many people acting like we’ve got 2 years to win a SB.

Listen, I get it. I’ve been a fan for 45 years now, my parents are die hards from before the NFL and they don’t have a lot more years so I want a SB quick for them too.

But, the rhetoric is just getting completely out of control here.

The reality is we aren’t likely making the playoffs and McD is going to be the coach next year. I’m off the McD train but unless we lose out I can’t see Pegula changing head coaches after 1 bad year. 

I don't think people are acting like Josh Allen is on the downside of his career right now...the point is we don't want to see the rest of his prime years get wasted with a head coach who just seems to be in over his head.  There is absolutely still time to turn things around and see Allen kill it 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I don't think people are acting like Josh Allen is on the downside of his career right now...the point is we don't want to see the rest of his prime years get wasted with a head coach who just seems to be in over his head.  There is absolutely still time to turn things around and see Allen kill it 

I hear you but I think he’s got a lot of better years ahead of him. I don’t think he’s hit his ceiling yet. He’s got 3-5 years of peak athleticism yet and my hope is that his mental game improves. I think he has the ability to improve his understanding of the defenses he’s facing thus decreasing interceptions and stupid plays. 

Josh isn’t going to lose the ability to run, he’s not going to lose so many steps he can’t get a first with his feet when we need it. He will hopefully transition to a more cerebral passer so he doesn’t have to run, but it’s going to always be a part of his game.

The issue is surrounding him with offensive talent who can take some of the burden off him. Maybe someday someone will make a contested or difficult catch when he’s not perfect. Maybe we can get a defense that actually closes out a game once a decade.

I doubt that happens with McD, but I think we are stuck with him for at least 1 more year. Josh has plenty of time left.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.