The Bills need a Penalty Reduction Consultant

jethro_tull

Bills Most Penalized Team Rank 

2023 Currently the most penalized team in the NFL (and it's killing them).   

2022 16th most penalize team *still in the top half of the league's worst despite the cancellation of the Bengals game.  

2021 6th most penalized team. 

2020 6th most penalized team.

2019 9th most penalized team. 

2018 6th most penalized team. 

I find it kind of ridiculous that the Bills have basically been in the top 20% of the most penalized teams in the league since 2018.  

While I support McDermott as the head coach, they seriously need to hire an expert consultant to address this issue.   This year in particular as the most penalized team in the league, penalties could easily be the reason they do not make the playoffs.   Fix it now....

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Are those rankings based on penalty rates or counts?

The Bills run a lot of plays per game, near top of the league iirc.   

Opponents are usually playing catch-up so lots of passing plays against = more calls.

Yeah, this needs more context. Plus, we see every week how illegitimate many penalties are. The NFL needs an outside officiating consultant in the worst way. They should approach the game the same way the USFL/XFL do.

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

That to me confirms the conspiracy- the nfl is out to get us. 

Well two of the most rigged games I’ve seen in my life were the Houston playoff game and this past Eagles game.  No penalties were called on both Houston and Philly outside of a couple false starts and an Offside in nearly five quarters of play both times.  The refs historically haven’t done the Bills any favors.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

Well two of the most rigged games I’ve seen in my life were the Houston playoff game and this past Eagles game.  No penalties were called on both Houston and Philly outside of a couple false starts and an Offside in nearly five quarters of play both times.  The refs historically haven’t done the Bills any favors.

Yep - the magical fumble no touchdown in the end zone game 

hey, what happened to that funny firing squad post?  

Coach, consultant coach, whoever- being in the top 5th most penalties for the last 6 years is not an in-house fix.  

How many more wins does it have to cost before they do something already? 

On 11/29/2023 at 11:38 AM, jethro_tull said:

2022 16th most penalize team *still in the top half of the league's worst despite the cancellation of the Bengals game.  

I find it kind of ridiculous that the Bills have basically been in the top 20% of the most penalized teams in the league since 2018.  

While I support McDermott as the head coach, they seriously need to hire an expert consultant to address this issue.   This year in particular as the most penalized team in the league, penalties could easily be the reason they do not make the playoffs.   Fix it now....

It's called having discipline. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Is "Trust the Process" still a thing? What phase of the process have we progressed too?

There's nothing about McDermott I trust anymore.  His ridiculous slogans have dried up.  His teams are penalty machines because of 2 things. The first and foremost is poor coaching/discipline.  The 2nd is clearly the league screws us just like the Raiders.  One can get fixed/ improved. The other is controlled by the shield.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Another theory is that the is more on Beane than McDermott. 

For example Torrence has 5 penalties this season.  Spencer Brown has 18 penalties. Same coach, different players.  Maybe this is something to consider when building the roster. Maybe the penalty prone can't have it coached out of you. 

However 12 men on the field causing a defeat on the last play of the game is 100% a head coaching failure. 

Penalties are the result of not holding guys accountable.  If McDermott likes you, you can do whatever you want.  Phillips is an out shape undisciplined mess, but can do no wrong in mcdermott’s eyes.  Siran Neal routinely kills field position with special teams penalties, rarely makes any plays, yet has favored status with mcdermott.  Championship coaches like Parcells and Belichik would never keep around players like that.  They were loyal to the good, smart, disciplined players who they could count on in big spots.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Another theory is that the is more on Beane than McDermott. 

For example Torrence has 5 penalties this season.  Spencer Brown has 18 penalties. Same coach, different players.  Maybe this is something to consider when building the roster. Maybe the penalty prone can't have it coached out of you. 

However 12 men on the field causing a defeat on the last play of the game is 100% a head coaching failure. 

Tackles usually get penalized more often than interior players. They’re more visible and DEs are generally the most physically gifted D linemen. 

Agree with the 12 men statement, and that likely came into play when McD decided to ice the kicker in Philly. 

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Tackles usually get penalized more often than interior players. They’re more visible and DEs are generally the most physically gifted D linemen. 

Agree with the 12 men statement, and that likely came into play when McD decided to ice the kicker in Philly. 

one is rookie, one is a veteran. The rookie had zero penalties his senior year in college. I suspect like all other skills, some players are always going to be better than others at not taking penalties. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, ScotSHO said:

I bet if we run penalty numbers over the course of 20 years, the TV market size would correspond almost perfectly with the penalty frequency.  In an inverse fashion.  Just a handicap that a team like Buffalo has to deal with/overcome.

Not likely . Here are 2023 numbers for the most penalized teams. Dallas and Chicago are pretty big markets 

image.thumb.png.c290f83fbae40328e0330e63cc73899f.png

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

Not likely . Here are 2023 numbers for the most penalized teams. Dallas and Chicago are pretty big markets 

image.thumb.png.c290f83fbae40328e0330e63cc73899f.png

Interesting, the worst answer to make peace with all this is it's all just random.  I'd still like to see long term trends - but it sounds like a ton of work.  

Edited by ScotSHO

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

I am actually curious about penalties in national televised games. 

I think some of the referees see themselves as celebrities and want there moment in the sun.  

This is an interesting story about refs and the microphone

https://www.footballzebras.com/2013/10/referee-announcements-have-come-a-long-way-in-38-years/

The intentional grounding in the Bills/Bengals game was definitely the ref trying to show he was smart.  He saw the down & distance, the location on the field, and manufactured a flag on a play that happens once a game (overthrow on a fly when the WR breaks it off).  He felt personally required to show Allen (and the world) that he saw thru his "overthrow", even though the QB wasn't under duress in the pocket.

What sucks about this and I am

being serious about this is there are penalties to be called on most plays by both teams, so the fact that there are teams that statistically get called more means that refs are looking more at certain teams than others. There's no consistency, No accountability and shows the refs can sway a game. (Not fix, but make It harder for some teams to win)

On 11/29/2023 at 10:38 AM, jethro_tull said:

So what is it that McD excels at? He’s a horrific game manager, the team is completely undisciplined, his D gives it up on every big drive, he has trouble hiring good coordinators…I really don’t understand why people still want him here. 

Truth is, his QB has been bailing him out for years. He’s a bottom of the barrel coach on his own. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.