Per Benjamin Allbright, McDermott's "seat is warm"

HappyDays

9 hours ago, JohnNord said:

He has no idea.  And keep in mind, this is the same owner who hired and fired a number of coaches and GM’s en route to a playoff drought that’s closing in on the Bills 17 years of futility.  

I’ve asked countless fans who should replace McDermott.  They have absolutely no clue.  Here are the responses:

- Ben Johnson

- Let Brandon Beane make the hire

🤣

Bill Belichick for me if he and the Pats part ways. Bill would be a massive upgrade over Sean. The record speaks for itself when he has an elite level QB. He is also a much better DC than Sean and his defenses know how to make a stop in big moments. He will want to stick it to Kraft twice a year and he owns the Jets.

• Like (+1) 3

Wrong again.  But I guess because you say so, it makes it correct?

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-announce-contract-extensions-gm-brandon-beane-hc-sean-mcdermott-2027#

Exactly what part am I wrong about?  Beane came in after McD, Whaley did the drafting and was promptly fired.   They didn’t come together.  So YOU are wrong.   Yes, they signed extensions at the same time, as I stated.  You have drawn a connection to them in your head that doesn’t exist.

He has no idea.  And keep in mind, this is the same owner who hired and fired a number of coaches and GM’s en route to a playoff drought that’s closing in on the Bills 17 years of futility.  

I’ve asked countless fans who should replace McDermott.  They have absolutely no clue.  Here are the responses:

- Ben Johnson

- Let Brandon Beane make the hire

🤣

How can anyone answer the question without knowing who will be available?  Harbaugh may or may not be available to the NFL, Bellicheck may or may not be on the market, Ben Johnson may or may not be on the market, etc.   There are multiple candidates, but without knowing who is actually available, one can’t answer the question.   I think the obvious thing about it all, McDermott is not a guy that many believe can get the job done. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Bill Belichick for me if he and the Pats part ways. Bill would be a massive upgrade over Sean. The record speaks for itself when he has an elite level QB. He is also a much better DC than Sean and his defenses know how to make a stop in big moments. He will want to stick it to Kraft twice a year and he owns the Jets.

that would a shocking storyline

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

How can anyone answer the question without knowing who will be available?  Harbaugh may or may not be available to the NFL, Bellicheck may or may not be on the market, Ben Johnson may or may not be on the market, etc.   There are multiple candidates, but without knowing who is actually available, one can’t answer the question.   I think the obvious thing about it all, McDermott is not a guy that many believe can get the job done. 

correct, as you mentioned there are a lot of unknowns which goes back to my original point that there is larger risk with making the move than a lot of fans want to believe.

I’ve seen a lot of local media members make this same point which fans have dismissed.  

27 minutes ago, Gregg said:

It would be a horrendous move to hire Belichick.  We’d also be looking at competing changing out most of the defensive personnel.  

Plus, look at how Bill has addressed the offense the past few years.  You want Josh McDaniel as OC?

If you think McDermott is conservative on 4th down situations wait till you see how often Bill punts

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It would be a horrendous move to hire Belichick.  We’d also be looking at competing changing out most of the defensive personnel.  

Plus, look at how Bill has addressed the offense the past few years.  You want Josh McDaniel as OC?

If you think McDermott is conservative on 4th down situations wait till you see how often Bill punts

Why are you so afraid of change?

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

I disagree with you. I will trust a HC who wins big time. 9 Super Bowl appearances along with 6 championships. You want an upgrade over Sean then Bill is it. If McDaniel is the OC who would really care if the Bills are celebrating a Lombardi. We will never get there with McDermott and hiring an OC as a first time HC is unknown. You know what you are getting with Bill especially when he has a franchise QB to work with.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Who available? Guys will take an NFL HC gig with Josh. That’s the point. You don’t have to get a guy who’s already an HC or one with experience…

You try. If it doesn’t work, you move on and cut your losses. It’s been that way for years. Still is. 

30 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Not afraid of change… I don’t see a 71 year-old coach who has floundered over the past 4 season to be an upgrade over who the Bills have now

If he's willing to cede control of personnel to someone who knows what they're doing, he'd be a huge upgrade.  He won't, though - he will insist on full roster control which is the main reason his seat is so hot right now.  But I'm not talking about this idea, specifically - I'm talking about your repeated expression of abject fear about moving on from our low-ceiling HC.

13 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

McD must promote one of his guys to DC over the bye. Let Washington have another crack at DC. Give the up-and-coming Babich some experience. McD is not cutting it as DC.

Ah yes. Put them in the seat of fire so there’s an out… Smart! 

this-is-using-your-head-smart.gif

51 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I disagree with you. I will trust a HC who wins big time. 9 Super Bowl appearances along with 6 championships. You want an upgrade over Sean then Bill is it. If McDaniel is the OC who would really care if the Bills are celebrating a Lombardi. We will never get there with McDermott and hiring an OC as a first time HC is unknown. You know what you are getting with Bill especially when he has a franchise QB to work with.

Well this will never happen, so we won’t have to worry.

Just now, JohnNord said:

Well this will never happen, so we won’t have to worry.

You are probably right. But if Pegula wants to make a big splash with the new stadium, raised ticket prices and PSL fees coming up then hiring Bill would be a huge hire. Having a coach with his track record of winning with a franchise QB would excite the fanbase. Ben Johnson, Joe Brady or any other potential first time HC won't do that.

• Vomit 1

21 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If he's willing to cede control of personnel to someone who knows what they're doing, he'd be a huge upgrade.  He won't, though - he will insist on full roster control which is the main reason his seat is so hot right now.  But I'm not talking about this idea, specifically - I'm talking about your repeated expression of abject fear about moving on from our low-ceiling HC.

There’s no fear -  just a difference of opinion.  I wouldn’t call him “low ceiling” by any means and I think his body of work shows that.   I’m also not alone.  Many others in the national media and local media have also rated him highly.  

People here want to pretend that McDermott is “Dick Jauron with Josh Allen,” when that’s not the case.    Even if you want him gone pretending he hasn’t been successful or “low ceiling” is being reactionary and caught in the moment which about 80% of the posts here are.  Everyone wants a silver bullet to solve the problems on the team, but I’m quite sure transitioning from McDermott to another coach is the right choice.  

As far as McDermott goes, I’m not 100% behind him.  I have concerns like a lot of fans do.  I’m waiting to see how the next 5 games 

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

You are probably right. But if Pegula wants to make a big splash with the new stadium, raised ticket prices and PSL fees coming up then hiring Bill would be a huge hire. Having a coach with his track record of winning with a franchise QB would excite the fanbase. Ben Johnson, Joe Brady or any other potential first time HC won't do that.

Your marketing logic is flawed.  How do you expect fans to get excited to hire a despised 70 year-old coach that has a reputation of being carried by Tom Brady?

Also Bill isn’t going to come without personnel control.  Do you want Brandon Beane gone as well?  This is by far the worst coaching idea I’ve seen here 

46 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Who available? Guys will take an NFL HC gig with Josh. That’s the point. You don’t have to get a guy who’s already an HC or one with experience…

You try. If it doesn’t work, you move on and cut your losses. It’s been that way for years. Still is. 

This strategy has worked very well for Carolina the past 5 years 👌

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

correct, as you mentioned there are a lot of unknowns which goes back to my original point that there is larger risk with making the move than a lot of fans want to believe.

I’ve seen a lot of local media members make this same point which fans have dismissed.  

There is close to zero risk. McDermott is the definition of a replacement-level coach.  

• Disagree 2

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

There’s no fear -  just a difference of opinion.  I wouldn’t call him “low ceiling” by any means and I think his body of work shows that.   I’m also not alone.  Many others in the national media and local media have also rated him highly.  

People here want to pretend that McDermott is “Dick Jauron with Josh Allen,” when that’s not the case.    Even if you want him gone pretending he hasn’t been successful or “low ceiling” is being reactionary and caught in the moment which about 80% of the posts here are.  Everyone wants a silver bullet to solve the problems on the team, but I’m quite sure transitioning from McDermott to another coach is the right choice.  

As far as McDermott goes, I’m not 100% behind him.  I have concerns like a lot of fans do.  I’m waiting to see how the next 5 games 

Your marketing logic is flawed.  How do you expect fans to get excited to hire a despised 70 year-old coach that has a reputation of being carried by Tom Brady?

Also Bill isn’t going to come without personnel control.  Do you want Brandon Beane gone as well?  This is by far the worst coaching idea I’ve seen here 

This strategy has worked very well for Carolina the past 5 years 👌

He won't be despised if he is coaching the Bills and has success. With Allen I think he would. Yes, Brady was a big part of the Super Bowl wins but let's not act like Bill didn't play a big part in it as well. For example, the Pats beat the Rams 13-3. Seems to me that Bill's defense holding the Rams to 3 was the main reason they won. Or how about the 24-21 win over the Eagles and 20-17 win over the Rams. Seems to me both the offense and defense did their jobs. How about the INT against the Seahawks at the goal line that preserved the win. You think a McDermott coached D could make a play like that in crunch time. Or how about the Pats trailing the Falcons 28-3. Bill makes in game adjustments (something Sean can't or won't do) and the Pats shut the Falcons out the rest of the way allowing Brady and the offense to rally back for a 34-28 OT win. 

1 minute ago, mannc said:

There is close to zero risk. McDermott is the definition of a replacement-level coach.  

McD is the type of coach you choose to be the interim HC, just to get you through the rest of season, after firing the original HC…He is not the face of a leader of a franchise…

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/27/2023 at 7:05 AM, RyanC883 said:

his seat should be on FIRE.  He should be gone unless we make the playoffs.  Period.  Why do NFL coaches get such a long leash with mediocracy year after year.  Killed Rivers career in San Diego, Marino in Miami, etc.  And will kill Allen's here.  College coaches are on the hot seat if they don't win big games.  Hockey coaches, same.  For some reason NFL coaches like McD and Tomlin get forever.  This isn't 1 thing with McD.  His defensive meltdowns, unprepared teams, and horrible in game decisions are "the process".  

Because it is hard to win the SB?  Very few teams win it multiple times in a given span.   Rodgers won one SB...Rothlisberger won two...Manning brothers won two each..

Other than the Partiots and the Chiefs with Mahomes winning two and could possibly win a few more there is no other team with multiple championships.  And to win that one year, many things need to align.

The only thing I would say is that McDermott should bring in an aggressive DC like a Jim Schwartz who is already turning the Browns defense inside a year.

Edited by ganesh
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

I've never understood the fear of firing McDermott.    Like we could have a return to the drought years.   After the music city miracle, you know what coach was going to have any long-term success with an aging immobile Drew Bledsoe, Trent Edwards, JP Losman, EJ Manuel, journeyman Fitzmagic, last year Kyle Orton and Tyrod Taylor?   Your answer is nobody.  Did any of these guys flourish after leaving Buffalo and going to new coaching, no.   And before anyone says but McD ended the drought with Tyrod and got us the playoffs, I would respond we were 9-7 under Marrone, followed by 8-8 and 7-8 before Rex was fired.  We went to the playoffs with a 9-7 record with Tyrod, it wasn't some dramatic turnaround in record.  It was the same record as Marrone and a one game improvement over Rex's first year.

The reason for our success is we finally got a franchise QB.   Now it took 35 years after we drafted Kelly in 1983 to get Josh in 2018.   So you take a basically .500 team(Marrone-Rex years) and add a franchise QB you should improve.  So, if your happy just going the playoffs and losing, then McD is your guy.  I'm in the camp that he isn't the coach to take us to the promised land, and that will always be the goal, getting back to, and finally winning the SB.  30 plus years is a long time to wait, and I don't want to waste Josh on somebody who has shown he gets out coached in the big moments.   I have a bigger fear of wasting Josh, than losing McDermott would mean a return to the drought years.   Josh isn't the QBs listed above, he's light years ahead of those guys.

Spot on. I don't think McDermott is a bad coach per se, but I don't think he brings to the table anything that is irreplaceable. That Marrone team could have just as easily broken the drought and he'd have gotten the benefit of much leeway if AFC standings had fallen the way they did for us in 2017. 

He also kind of lucked out in having Brady leave the division, paving the way for those consecutive division titles. McDermott was 0-6 vs the Belichick/Brady tandem. In that sense, even Chan Gailey got an achievement that McD never could. 

7 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

McD is the type of coach you choose to be the interim HC, just to get you through the rest of season, after firing the original HC…He is not the face of a leader of a franchise…

This again is more exaggeration/ distorted reality from an angry fan base.  McDermott already has proven that he’s both a great leader both on the field and from an organization standpoint.

You can questions whether he’s a top coach or whether he came take the Bills to the next level or his in-game decisions.  

You can’t looked at things objectively and question his leadership which is something the organization desperately lacked in 2017 when he was hired.  

the evidence says otherwise

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

We don't know that. Maybe he's able to recognize the same limitations in his work partner and friend that we do and can take emotions out of it.

So you got nothing then, other than “maybes?” 

Maybe Beane sees the limitations in Josh Allen as well and tries to trade him for a package of picks to draft Caleb Williams?  We don’t know that.

It’s silly.

Everything that Beane has said publicly has been in full support of McDermott and the two have worked together closely from Day Any failure of McDermott is also a reflection on Beane.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Spot on. I don't think McDermott is a bad coach per se, but I don't think he brings to the table anything that is irreplaceable. That Marrone team could have just as easily broken the drought and he'd have gotten the benefit of much leeway if AFC standings had fallen the way they did for us in 2017. 

He also kind of lucked out in having Brady leave the division, paving the way for those consecutive division titles. McDermott was 0-6 vs the Belichick/Brady tandem. In that sense, even Chan Gailey got an achievement that McD never could. 

Yeah this just isn’t true.  If Marrone could have broken the drought he would have.  Instead his team lost to a 2-12 football team led by rookie Derek Carr.  Chan Gailey never coached a Bills team over .500.  He was a good offensive mind but a horrendous head coach who never should have been hired.  

Say what you will about McDermott, but before this year, his teams always took care of business when they needed to - as they did in 2017.  

Also even with losing to NE, he made the playoffs twice, something the franchise failed to do for nearly 2 decades.  

3 minutes ago, steven50 said:

He was great for turning the franchise around, no doubt. The question is can he get us to the next level?

This is a legit question and legit criticism of McDermott that I think is fair.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, steven50 said:

He was great for turning the franchise around, no doubt. The question is can he get us to the next level?

Emphatically ... NO!  If he hasn't learned and grown from all of the devastating and embarrassing heartbreak that we've experienced ... he's incapable and needs to be shown the door

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, steven50 said:

It gets less likely with each passing season.

The truth is that coaches with franchise QBs are going to look way better than coaches who don't have one.  It's the single most important position in all of sports and probably the strongest correlate for success in all of sports.  McDermott has one and isn't maximizing the opportunity.  That's all there is to it.  It doesn't mean he's an awful coach, he's just not the guy for this franchise anymore.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Yeah this just isn’t true.  If Marrone could have broken the drought he would have.  Instead his team lost to a 2-12 football team led by rookie Derek Carr.  Chan Gailey never coached a Bills team over .500.  He was a good offensive mind but a horrendous head coach who never should have been hired.  

Say what you will about McDermott, but before this year, his teams always took care of business when they needed to - as they did in 2017.  

Also even with losing to NE, he made the playoffs twice, something the franchise failed to do for nearly 2 decades.  

How is it not true that McDermott and Marrone both finished with 9-7 records? 

How is it not true that Chan Gailey got one win over Brady/Belichick and McDermott never did in six attempts?

Not sure what you think is inaccurate about that...?

Look I'm not gonna stick up for Marrone too much, but in 2017 there was a scrum of wild cards at 9-7 and Buffalo had the right tiebreakers to advance to the postseason. No one in the AFC except division winners had more than 9 wins.

In 2014, both AFC wild card teams had 10 wins. If an AFC non-division winner had 10 wins in 2017, McD doesn't break the drought the year, plain and simple. 

Curiously, the Marrone 2014 team had a strength of victory of 0.486, which is quite a bit higher than the 2017 team which had 0.396 strength of victory. 

So Marrone got the same record against tougher competition. Dunno man, these are just the facts. 🤷‍♂️

• Vomit 1

18 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This again is more exaggeration/ distorted reality from an angry fan base.  McDermott already has proven that he’s both a great leader both on the field and from an organization standpoint.

You can questions whether he’s a top coach or whether he came take the Bills to the next level or his in-game decisions.  

You can’t looked at things objectively and question his leadership which is something the organization desperately lacked in 2017 when he was hired.  

the evidence says otherwise

So you got nothing then, other than “maybes?” 

Maybe Beane sees the limitations in Josh Allen as well and tries to trade him for a package of picks to draft Caleb Williams?  We don’t know that.

It’s silly.

Everything that Beane has said publicly has been in full support of McDermott and the two have worked together closely from Day Any failure of McDermott is also a reflection on Beane.  

Fair enough.  Fire them both!

5 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

It gets less likely with each passing season.

The truth is that coaches with franchise QBs are going to look way better than coaches who don't have one.  It's the single most important position in all of sports and probably the strongest correlate for success in all of sports.  McDermott has one and isn't maximizing the opportunity.  That's all there is to it.  It doesn't mean he's an awful coach, he's just not the guy for this franchise anymore.  

I'd argue the biggest difference between Sean McDermott vs. Dick Jauron has less to do with either coach and almost everything to do with Josh Allen vs. JP Losman and Trent Edwards.

• Vomit 1

7 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

How is it not true that McDermott and Marrone both finished with 9-7 records? 

How is it not true that Chan Gailey got one win over Brady/Belichick and McDermott never did in six attempts?

Not sure what you think is inaccurate about that...?

Look I'm not gonna stick up for Marrone too much, but in 2017 there was a scrum of wild cards at 9-7 and Buffalo had the right tiebreakers to advance to the postseason. No one in the AFC except division winners had more than 9 wins.

In 2014, both AFC wild card teams had 10 wins. If an AFC non-division winner had 10 wins in 2017, McD doesn't break the drought the year, plain and simple. 

Curiously, the Marrone 2014 team had a strength of victory of 0.486, which is quite a bit higher than the 2017 team which had 0.396 strength of victory. 

So Marrone got the same record against tougher competition. Dunno man, these are just the facts. 🤷‍♂️

These really aren’t the facts though.  You are spinning events into a fake narrative that you want to believe.

You’re implying that the playoffs in 2017 were a fluke, yet you stand behind the Gailey victory over NE?

Then you want to prop up Marrone’s 9-7 season as an accomplishment?  Did you forget their 9th win came against backups in NE?  Or the fact that Marrone couldn’t beat a 2-12 football team?  Like I said, there were chances to break the drought.  Marrone never capitalized on the opportunities.  McDermott did.  

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I wouldn’t go that far.  Jim Caldwell is replacement-level.  McD is a turnaround expert.  Those types of executives usually get replaced once the organization has stabilized.

I can only name two worse coaches in the league right now than McDermott (Rivera and Staley) and both are on their way out.  He absolutely needs to be gone and the chance of replacing him with someone worse is minimal; you’d have to intentionally try to hire an incompetent.  

• Vomit 2

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

These really aren’t the facts though.  You are spinning events into a fake narrative that you want to believe.

You’re implying that the playoffs in 2017 were a fluke, yet you stand behind the Gailey victory over NE?

Then you want to prop up Marrone’s 9-7 season as an accomplishment?  Did you forget their 9th win came against backups in NE?  Or the fact that Marrone couldn’t beat a 2-12 football team?  Like I said, there were chances to break the drought.  Marrone never capitalized on the opportunities.  McDermott did.  

Sorry bro facts don't care about feelings. 

I'm not constructing a narrative, simply stating the obvious. Marrone sucked, I'm glad he flamed out of the league. But the fact is McD had the same record in 2017 as Marrone did in 2014, and by virtue of how the AFC standings fell, McDermott made the playoffs with that record and Marrone didn't. 

Still waiting for you to tell me what part of that isn't true. 

Don't worry, I'll wait. I've got all day. 

We all have our specialties. McDermott's is bringing teams out of mediocrity or worse. The Panthers need that and he has history there.

McDermott's skillset seems to conflict with coaching high-leveraged situations in big games. Pegula should have hired Sean Payton the instant he was available.

The Bills outgrew McDermott precisely 13 seconds ago.

One thing I've been pondering regarding McDummy and the contract extension situation, perhaps an agreement is worked with the Pegulas and instead of getting fired and having to be on the hook to pay him the remaining years left he simply 'resigns' instead  knowing he'd be under ridiculous pressure in 2024 to produce and a true lame duck and still able to collect some money.

Probably best case scenario at this point.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.