Who’s the best QB prospect in the ‘24 draft class?

bills6969

This is the most loaded QB class that I can remember:

Caleb Williams

Drake Maye

Michael Penix

Bo Nix

Jayden Daniels

JJ McCarthy

Shadeur Sanders

Quinn Ewers

Dillon Gabriel

Sam Hartman

Tons of potential franchise QBs on this list. Unfortunately the Pats are going to get one of the guys at the top.

IMO,  Bo Nix will be the best of the bunch.  I also like Penix, he has a cannon.

I'm going to hijack this thread just to mention that Division II Colorado School of Mines quarterback John Matocha is pretty darn good.  I just got back from my 4th game of the season, and in every one he has exhibited composure and talent.  He recently broke Case Keenum's all time NCAAF record for total touchdowns.  CSM hasn't had a player drafted since 1940 (aside from a 9th round kicker in '75) so we're hoping someone will give him a shot :) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I'm going to hijack this thread just to mention that Division II Colorado School of Mines quarterback John Matocha is pretty darn good.  I just got back from my 4th game of the season, and in every one he has exhibited composure and talent.  He recently broke Case Keenum's all time NCAAF record for total touchdowns.  CSM hasn't had a player drafted since 1940 (aside from a 9th round kicker in '75) so we're hoping someone will give him a shot :) 

Good to know.

Maybe he'll get an invite to the Shrine Game and/or the Senior Bowl. Would be good to see him play.

14 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Torn as to whether or not Caleb Williams will succeed in the NFL. He’s had some really rough games against mediocre teams, has an ego this year that’s above everybody and any situation he said he’ll find himself in; confidence is one thing but his comments have been brazen with no accountability. 

Overall, going into the draft, it’s a loaded class for QBs. 

Maye is great at getting the ball downfield but misses some easy throws in the short game, that can be schemed and play called for him to succeed more. Kid is also an awesome runner and seems to dominate there when he does. 

Penix Jr., very similar to Maye in those regards but seems to process his reads quicker. 

Daniels is a wild card, dude is a great mobile quarterback who’s shown amazing progression over the past few years. Still a project but has the arm talent to spread the ball anywhere on the field. 

The rest, I haven’t watched enough football over the past few years to give any opinion. 

but if I’m taking a QB I’d got for Maye, Daniels, Williams in that order. 

I think this is a great class if you are a team with a lower/middle pick.  It is a deep class, but I don't see any blue chip top, cant miss QBs now that the  luster has fallen off of Williams.   .  Actually reminds me a bit of the Darnold/Mayfield/Allen/Jackson/Rudolph/Rosen class. 

I think it will come down to who gets selected into good situations, and they get insulated with good coaching and an offense that puts him in a position to succeed.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I think this is a great class if you are a team with a lower/middle pick.  It is a deep class, but I don't see any blue chip top, cant miss QBs now that the  luster has fallen off of Williams.   .  Actually reminds me a bit of the Darnold/Mayfield/Allen/Jackson/Rudolph/Rosen class. 

I think it will come down to who gets selected into good situations, and they get insulated with good coaching and an offense that puts him in a position to succeed.

I don't know why people are saying the luster has fallen off Williams LOL

He is literally USC's team... Is carrying them and actually has better stats than last year in areas

A better rating, a higher completion percentage,  and better yards per attempt

On a weaker team

11.9 attempts per TD last year, 12.9 this year ... Basically the same 

He just hasn't thrown 500 times this season 

Edited by Buffalo716

On 11/28/2023 at 12:22 PM, Buffalo716 said:

I don't know why people are saying the luster has fallen off Williams LOL

He is literally USC's team... Is carrying them and actually has better stats than last year in areas

A better rating, a higher completion percentage,  and better yards per attempt

On a weaker team

11.9 attempts per TD last year, 12.9 this year ... Basically the same 

He just hasn't thrown 500 times this season 

Watch him play.  He holds on to the ball forever and he turns it over a lot, just like another recent QB bust from USC.

4 hours ago, mannc said:

Watch him play.  He holds on to the ball forever and he turns it over a lot, just like another recent QB bust from USC.

That's a product of his defense giving up 38 points a game

You can't dink and dunk down the field for 40 a game

Giving up five yard completions to push the ball down the field is part of the game plan...

he can easily take a check down if he wants and he's nothing like darnold

There's a reason why scouts are comparing him to a mahomes and Allen skill set... He's built for the modern NFL

he's definitely better than CJ Stroud

And he's literally playing Superman because Riley can't put a competent team around him .. something that CJ Stroud or Bryce young or Tua or Burrow didn't have to do... 

Hes used to having to do everything... Like Allen... There's not one college quarterback with as much on their shoulders as he has

I've watched him play a bunch hence why I've said he's the number one quarterback since he was a freshman at Oklahoma

He would have been the number one pick unquestioned last year

He has a stronger arm than Joe burrow... He could extend a play like Josh Allen... Throws on the run like Josh... Breaks sack attempts in and outside the pocket... Throws a tight spiral and a very catchable ball... And does more with less than his peers... 

He's under more scrutiny than any quarterback since Peyton Manning... 

I went to the high school All-American game years ago to watch Trevor Lawrence as a scout.... He was the best 17-year-old quarterback I had ever seen

But he had the team and the people around him to help alleviate the pressure... Caleb is literally playing with the world on his shoulders which a college athlete shouldn't have to do

The pressure the University and fans are putting on him is more than any player I've seen since Peyton Manning

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Just based solely off tonight’s game:

Penix can spin it from the pocket. Although I wonder what he would look like without guys running wide open and good pass pro. Doesn’t seem to have that natural ability to create. 

I don’t see anything elite from him. 

Penix is also a 6th year senior ....

He is gonna get drafted top 4 rounds but he has severe injury history 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not a big fan of Penix.  I like Nix, but not sure he does anything elite.  

Both are prototypical college QBs 

Very nuanced in their system..  good at a lot of things , not great at anything

Alot of average traits ... But developable

I wouldn't take a first on them but they have developmental ability 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Both are prototypical college QBs 

Very nuanced in their system..  good at a lot of things , not great at anything

Alot of average traits ... But developable

I wouldn't take a first on them but they have developmental ability 

I actually think Penix has the physical traits to be an NFL starter.  Just something off about him to me.  Not sure why doesn’t use his legs more.  It’s like he’s trying too hard  to prove he’s a pocket passer.  But I thought same thing about Hurts coming out of college and now he’s one of best QB’s in NFL.  

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I actually think Penix has the physical traits to be an NFL starter.  Just something off about him to me.  Not sure why doesn’t use his legs more.  It’s like he’s trying too hard  to prove he’s a pocket passer.  But I thought same thing about Hurts coming out of college and now he’s one of best QB’s in NFL.  

Probably because penix has a terrible injury history 

Torn 2 acls with a bad shoulder surgery

He has been in college forever 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/25/2023 at 2:56 PM, bills6969 said:

Caleb Williams

Drake Maye

Michael Penix

Bo Nix

Jayden Daniels

JJ McCarthy

Shadeur Sanders

Quinn Ewers

Dillon Gabriel

Sam Hartman

Tons of potential franchise QBs on this list. Unfortunately the Pats are going to get one of the guys at the top.

IMO,  Bo Nix will be the best of the bunch.  I also like Penix, he has a cannon.

I've tried to watch them all as much as I possibly could this year. The top guys at least. I've seen every game from JJ because I'm a Michigan fan. I'm in NC so I've seen Drake a lot. Probably seen Williams the 3rd most. Seen a few games from Daniels, Sanders, Penix, Nix, and Ewers...

The QB's that have impressed me most are Daniels and Penix. I think Daniels is the better overall athlete and will go ahead of Penix, and maybe everyone else, but Penix is such a gamer I would not be surprised if he ends up being the best NFL player. 

It goes without saying they all have to land in the right spot. B-)

5 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

I've tried to watch them all as much as I possibly could this year. The top guys at least. I've seen every game from JJ because I'm a Michigan fan. I'm in NC so I've seen Drake a lot. Probably seen Williams the 3rd most. Seen a few games from Daniels, Sanders, Penix, Nix, and Ewers...

The QB's that have impressed me most are Daniels and Penix. I think Daniels is the better overall athlete and will go ahead of Penix, and maybe everyone else, but Penix is such a gamer I would not be surprised if he ends up being the best NFL player. 

It goes without saying they all have to land in the right spot. B-)

Penix has also spent 6 years in college ... He should be ripping it up

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/10/2023 at 8:16 AM, Turf Toejam 34 said:

Agree on Maye having a great deep ball, but his accuracy challenges will be magnified in the NFL.   

Extremely underrated athlete though.   He is going to extend a lot of drives with his legs if he does miss a throw here and there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Caleb Williams

Drake Maye

Michael Penix

Bo Nix

Jayden Daniels

JJ McCarthy

Shadeur Sanders

Quinn Ewers

Dillon Gabriel

Sam Hartman

I think nix is going to be terrible. He plays in a super friendly qb system ; against PAC 12 defenses; is like in his 10th year in college; and has very limited physical tools. He throws a ton of short passes. Maybe he went to SF but I can’t see him ever being more than a backup at best. 

and this is what we do every year. Try to find fault with clearly the best qb in Williams. He played with one of the worst defenses I have ever seen. He has to score 40 points/ game just to have a chance to win. When you have to do that, you are going to take a lot of risks. Also, USC isn’t loaded on offense this year either. 

On 12/13/2023 at 10:15 AM, gonzo1105 said:

I've always said Drake Maye was the best QB in this draft even when the Williams hype train was off the charts.

Maye got a lot of passes for a bunch of dud games he had in a bad ACC this year. Williams got roasted for only scoring 40 points in a loss

On 11/26/2023 at 8:28 AM, BBFL said:

Torn as to whether or not Caleb Williams will succeed in the NFL. He’s had some really rough games against mediocre teams, has an ego this year that’s above everybody and any situation he said he’ll find himself in; confidence is one thing but his comments have been brazen with no accountability. 

Overall, going into the draft, it’s a loaded class for QBs. 

Maye is great at getting the ball downfield but misses some easy throws in the short game, that can be schemed and play called for him to succeed more. Kid is also an awesome runner and seems to dominate there when he does. 

Penix Jr., very similar to Maye in those regards but seems to process his reads quicker. 

Daniels is a wild card, dude is a great mobile quarterback who’s shown amazing progression over the past few years. Still a project but has the arm talent to spread the ball anywhere on the field. 

The rest, I haven’t watched enough football over the past few years to give any opinion. 

but if I’m taking a QB I’d got for Maye, Daniels, Williams in that order. 

USC averaged almost 42 points/ game in the best pac 12 in years. They went 7-5.  Williams is awesome and this is classic overthinking. 

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

USC averaged almost 42 points/ game in the best pac 12 in years. They went 7-5.  Williams is awesome and this is classic overthinking. 

Just because guys have awesome numbers in a college system designed for QB's doesn't mean they are going to be a high level unstoppable QB. Kyler Murray's offense averaged 48 points per game in 2018 and he has been a very average QB in the NFL. I actually compare the two very similarly. Murray also had a ***** attitude much like Williams does. Great QB's don't pout after every loss like a petulant child. 

Baker Mayfields team averaged 45 points per game his last season. Both guys who played in Lincoln Riley's offense who put up more PPG in College than what your pointing out and both have been disappointments relative to their draft positions. 

Your also all over the place in your other posts. You claim Bo Nix will be terrible because he played against terrible defenses but in Williams point you state that Williams played against the best Pac 12 in years. That Bo Nix plays in a super friendly QB system. Well guess what so does Williams, just look at all the QB's in Riley's system again. Not disagreeing as I think Nix will be not a great pro but pointing out the discrepancies here. 

Edited by gonzo1105

23 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Just because guys have awesome numbers in a college system designed for QB's doesn't mean they are going to be a high level unstoppable QB. Kyler Murray's offense averaged 48 points per game in 2018 and he has been a very average QB in the NFL. I actually compare the two very similarly. Murray also had a ***** attitude much like Williams does. Great QB's don't pout after every loss like a petulant child. 

Baker Mayfields team averaged 45 points per game his last season. Both guys who played in Lincoln Riley's offense who put up more PPG in College than what your pointing out and both have been disappointments relative to their draft positions. 

Your also all over the place in your other posts. You claim Bo Nix will be terrible because he played against terrible defenses but in Williams point you state that Williams played against the best Pac 12 in years. That Bo Nix plays in a super friendly QB system. Well guess what so does Williams, just look at all the QB's in Riley's system again. Not disagreeing as I think Nix will be not a great pro but pointing out the discrepancies here. 

Williams has the best arm out of the guys you mentioned. Nix got to play against USC’s terrible defense (34.9 points/ game, 125th in the country) while Caleb played against Oregon’s (17 points: game, 11th in the country). Nix also has started 60!!! games which seems like a huge advantage. I do hear you on some of the pouty stuff but I think it’s different because he cares so much (I think Kyler seems indifferent). He lost 5 games while his team averaged over 40 points/ game. What qb would be happy in that situation?

Williams is going to be Pat Mahomes, where we pick him apart until you realize that Mahomes did silly stuff in college because he had to carry a terrible defense. 

Personally, I believe in the guy who had 120 tds to 14 ints who made some of the best throws I have ever seen a college kid do. That said, I don’t doubt the bears could ruin him as well haha.

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You might be right but it’s often stated that a players attitude and commitment are reasons for failing at the professional level. Something which Williams gave himself room to be scrutinized via the comments and statements he made throughout the year. Might be nothing in his career, might be something. Won’t stop him from being a top 10 pick as I agree with you that he is awesome. 

On 12/1/2023 at 1:16 AM, mannc said:

He does play for the most overrated coach in football.....

17 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I am 100% confident in saying Williams is another level talented compared to Baker and Kyler. 

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He does play for the most overrated coach in football.....

I am 100% confident in saying Williams is another level talented compared to Baker and Kyler. 

No offense but you also told everyone how Rasul Douglas was a backup which has been proven completely wrong and Ty Johnson was a waste of a signing. I've made mistakes too in evaluations but at least I'll readily admit I was wrong on O'Cyrus Torrence and Terrel Bernard. I'm not saying that Williams will be a bad NFL QB, I'm just saying I dont think he is a Mahomes level player. Its always nice being stacked in a QB friendly offense with future NFL talent or past guys in the NFL (Addison) in college going against subpar defenses week in and week out. 

Lets see how the guy does when he's apart of the Bears organization or someone else who lacks talent and he has to make up for it. Some guys can do it and some guys can't. His attitude in college tells me he's one who wont overcome it. 

8 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

No offense but you also told everyone how Rasul Douglas was a backup which has been proven completely wrong and Ty Johnson was a waste of a signing. I've made mistakes too in evaluations but at least I'll readily admit I was wrong on O'Cyrus Torrence and Terrel Bernard. I'm not saying that Williams will be a bad NFL QB, I'm just saying I dont think he is a Mahomes level player. Its always nice being stacked in a QB friendly offense with future NFL talent or past guys in the NFL (Addison) in college going against subpar defenses week in and week out. 

Lets see how the guy does when he's apart of the Bears organization or someone else who lacks talent and he has to make up for it. Some guys can do it and some guys can't. His attitude in college tells me he's one who wont overcome it. 

Douglas was one of the worst players on the field in the Philly loss. So the people raving over him should slow their roll slightly. Although, granted, he has played well in the other games. My point on Ty Johnson was that he was a JAG and I'd rather have rolled with a young guy. He had a good game on Sunday but tbh you coulda had any running back there and they would have succeeded. Until Sunday as a change of pace guy he had never broken 20 yards in a game or 4 ypc for the Bills. If thinking he is a JAG is a bad evaluation there is certainly no evidence to back that up yet. I always admit when I am wrong on players - have been plenty. I think Douglas has proved to be better than I expected him to be but I don't think he is even close to being a stud. 

Nor do I think Williams is Mahomes. But I am confident he is a different level of talent compared to Baker and Kyler. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Caleb Williams

Drake Maye

Michael Penix

Bo Nix

Jayden Daniels

JJ McCarthy

Shadeur Sanders

Quinn Ewers

Dillon Gabriel

Sam Hartman

Shedeur is returning to Colorado. Gabriel transferred to Oregon. I think Ewers is going back to Texas. I think McCarthy returns to Michigan. 

I don't see this as a loaded class at all. I think it is an overhyped class if anything. Hartman screams backup. Maye doesn't impress me at all. I think Caleb Williams folds under pressure, but I still expect him to go #1 overall. Penix is solid, but his arm strength doesn't seem all that impressive to me. Is Jayden Daniels the next Lamar Jackson or the next Justin Fields? He could be a scary cover for opposing defenses. I like Bo Nix as a passer the most of the bunch. He's shown a ton of improvement over his 5 seasons. NE sitting at #2 right now is going to get one of them. Let's just hope they take the wrong one again.  

On 12/19/2023 at 9:14 AM, gonzo1105 said:

I can imagine Williams on the Bears.

On 12/19/2023 at 1:25 PM, H2o said:

Shedeur is returning to Colorado. Gabriel transferred to Oregon. I think Ewers is going back to Texas. I think McCarthy returns to Michigan. 

I don't see this as a loaded class at all. I think it is an overhyped class if anything. Hartman screams backup. Maye doesn't impress me at all. I think Caleb Williams folds under pressure, but I still expect him to go #1 overall. Penix is solid, but his arm strength doesn't seem all that impressive to me. Is Jayden Daniels the next Lamar Jackson or the next Justin Fields? He could be a scary cover for opposing defenses. I like Bo Nix as a passer the most of the bunch. He's shown a ton of improvement over his 5 seasons. NE sitting at #2 right now is going to get one of them. Let's just hope they take the wrong one again.  

Penix has a cannon for an arm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.