Tush Push/Brotherly Shove/Rugby Scrums

LabattBlue

Change in the offseason…Pushing QB & any other ball carrier  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Does NFL make the Brotherly Shove illegal?

2. 2. Does the NFL make the Rugby Style Scrum(push) to assist any ball carrier illegal?

• LabattBlue changed the title to Tush Push/Brotherly Shove/Rugby Scrums

Goodell and the NFL have a history of changing the game for the worse when a star protected player gets hurt (see Rodgers years ago against the Vikings which influenced the body weight rule). I expect someone to get hurt during this and the rule to change. The Eagles play the Chiefs this week. If a Chiefs player gets hurt, expect rule change.

I feel like defenses are already so hindered. If defenses cannot push them back because of forward progress I feel it should be the same the other way around. 
I don’t care about the tush push, Philly don’t even need it. Ban it tomorrow they still probably convert over 90% and it’s not like anyone else is having that much success doing it. 

• Like (+1) 1

They probably will, but not until someone gets injured. Sooner or later, defensive coordinators will get smart and start telling their biggest, meanest dudes to try and time the snap and fly over the offensive line into Hurts. If they're offside, who cares? Same result. And one of these big, mean dudes is going to barrel into Hurts' legs before the snap or clean his clock when he tries to dive over the pile.

When one of the faces of the NFL gets injured doing this play, they'll ban it the following off-season. Until then, it's creating a lot of controversy and the NFL loves controversy more than it loves football.

11 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I feel like defenses are already so hindered. If defenses cannot push them back because of forward progress I feel it should be the same the other way around. 
I don’t care about the tush push, Philly don’t even need it. Ban it tomorrow they still probably convert over 90% and it’s not like anyone else is having that much success doing it. 

Interestingly, in the Maryland vs Michigan game yesterday - Maryland while inside the 5-yard line brought in their 6'6" tight end to play QB and was supported by 2 running backs tush pushing his azz into the end zone 3 times.  

• Like (+1) 1

Chandman, rookie mistake.  😂🏈🏋️♀️

As far as the scrum, I was fine at first with the play, but several teams have tried it and some guys injured.  Then I was listening to Movin the Chains and Pat made a salient point.  He had Paul Alexander on, and another Rugby guy on different days, and the risk to a neck injury is a real possibility.

Lately, refs have been more active in calling encroachment before this play as the linemen cheat the line.  That’s their current plan, so I did say yes, make it illegal.  I don’t ever want to see any player get a snapped neck.  That would be horrible for the sport.

It’s not that I don’t appreciate the physicality of the sport, but there is also a balance with safety.  I don’t think the Eagles are cheating.  I also am fine with the traditional QB sneak as Brady embarrassed teams forever, but it wasn’t a rush push.  He knew how to get low quickly and get that last two feet.  I know everyone hates Brady, but he was a master of the sneak.

• Haha (+1) 1

Unless it's recently changed and I missed it, it's been against the rules to aide a runner by pulling them forward from the front. I don't understand why that would be a foul but pushing from behind isn't. And that goes for more than the Brotherly Tush Shove. 

That said, the Shove is 100% defendable. You stop it on 1st down and 2nd down and don't let them get into 3rd or 4th and short. That's basic football. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Unless it's recently changed and I missed it, it's been against the rules to aide a runner by pulling them forward from the front. I don't understand why that would be a foul but pushing from behind isn't. And that goes for more than the Brotherly Tush Shove. 

That said, the Shove is 100% defendable. You stop it on 1st down and 2nd down and don't let them get into 3rd or 4th and short. That's basic football. 

They changed the language in the rulebook to allow the pushing (not pulling) of another offensive player in 2005. I can't find a reason for why they made that change.

Just now, Low Positive said:

They changed the language in the rulebook to allow the pushing (not pulling) of another offensive player in 2005. I can't find a reason for why they made that change.

Which is what I don't understand. It's really the same action but one is ok and the other isn't. I actually think the pushing may be less safe than a pull as you're pretty much locking a guys back into place. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Which is what I don't understand. It's really the same action but one is ok and the other isn't. I actually think the pushing may be less safe than a pull as you're pretty much locking a guys back into place. 

I can't find any justification for the rule change in 2005. What I did find was this article (from Utah of all places) arguing that it's a modern version of the old wedge play from the early days of American football and used to actually kill people: https://www.deseret.com/2023/1/20/23563232/nfl-rule-that-allows-players-to-push-ball-carriers-forward-went-wrong-direction

14 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Goodell and the NFL have a history of changing the game for the worse when a star protected player gets hurt (see Rodgers years ago against the Vikings which influenced the body weight rule). I expect someone to get hurt during this and the rule to change. The Eagles play the Chiefs this week. If a Chiefs player gets hurt, expect rule change.

Goodell isn't a rule maker/changer...

This exposes the inconsistency of the NFL.  Every year it seems, there is one more thing taken away from the defenses or special teams in the name of "safety".   They are now talking about banning a waist tackle next year and a Washington Commanders player got a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty for sacking Mac Jones two weeks ago. 

Meanwhile on the offensive side, this actual dangerous play that comes from the leather helmet era not only gets overlooked, but gets a cutesy name and a bunch of excited comments from the announcers. 

There are more injuries now than ever, so these changes made on defense are not about safety, they are about profit and creating the narrative for the juggernaut offenses and who will be the next GOAT at QB. 

Edited by dgrochester55

16 hours ago, peterpan said:

Maybe if it’s 4th and 1 they’ll just give the O a first down 

Like when putting in golf with you buddies, and you pick up your ball because it's close enough. 

15 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I wondered about that, if defenses could do their own "reverse tush push" into the offensive line when they are trying to push tush.  

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, chongli said:

Buffalo was the beneficiary of this call:

I remember that game and play.

God I miss watching players like Bruce and Talley!  It just doesn't feel like the same game now.

• Like (+1) 1

There was a good video someone posted a while back that broke down Philly's version tush push.  The key to the whole thing was not the push, but rather the three person wedge the left three OL made at the snap, outside guys pinning their shoulder pads to the middle guy and them all moving as one.  You could outlaw the push and I don't think it would affect the success of the Philly version hardly at all

1 hour ago, boyst said:

It'd be so fun to have a lineman pickup a small back (Singletary) and carry him then throw him further when he starts to go down. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.