Josh Allen needs his Phil Jackson…(edited title)

Lenigmusx

I’m sitting home with COVID😩 I think it was brought on by Monday night’s debacle. Anyway, I’ve been bingeing all 22’s and game footage of the last 3 years. In watching that tape I realized that Dorsey has stopped using one of Josh’s greatest strengths, the deep middle crossing pattern. Cole Beasley use to provide such a great underneath security blanket that I think it allowed some of these routes and route trees to develop differently.
       Much like Brett Favre, Josh can throw a seam route better than almost anyone in the history of the game. How many seam TD’s or even seam routes have we seen this year? None. Why, I think we don’t have anyone one good enough or designated to be the slot outlet in that Beasley role. Until physically taken away by coverage schemes that abused him because of his small stature Beasley was like the Bills Steve Curr the clutch shooter you could go to when Diggs (The Bills Jordan) wasn’t open.  KC physically took that away in the two playoff games (Gabe Stepped up though in the 13 seconds game). When Daboll left Dorsey abandon that concept.
         Could that player could be Harty or Kincaid?  McKenzie couldn’t handle it he lacked the discipline to mirror Josh. You need a special player with Basketball like instincts in the slot. Someone who mirrors the QB from the slot.  Josh needs this player. I would argue Kelce Swift is this player for Mahomes as “Me Gronk Me catch ball” was this player for Brady. It elevates his entire game and opens up the field. If coupled with under the center Play Action and running game this offense could be indefensible.

Josh is different though at the QB position Mahomes and Brady are point guard QB’s. Josh is more like Scotty Pippen a small forward who distributes… The offense is different when it runs through someone with a unique skill set like his. He will refuse the 5-7 yard gimme initially. However when you have a player in the Beasley role it allows him to come back to it after he exhausts the chunk play option. This safety net mitigates risk and promotes both offensive rhythm and sustained drives. This is the difference between Daboll and Dorsey in a nut shell.
         Josh’s thinks he’s an 11 personnel run and shoot QB. He can be for short periods but he needs his Steve Curr to sustain points when Jordan’s (Diggs is covered) shot is off. If this was coupled with the under center PA run/pass concepts we flashed out of 12 earlier this year this offense could be unstoppable.
         This year the RPO option route trees where the entire world knows the 3 options require super human QB skills that are not sustainable. A couple great examples of the Daboll concept games are Rams v Bills 2020 wk 3 and KC v Bills 2021.  Perhaps the 2021 KC game gave Spags the film to realize he had to physically shutdown Beasley.
        If Joe Brady really does a deep dive I think he can add the deep mid crossers and slot mirror concept back without flipping the playbook or terminology. Another point- I think Gabe stepping up in the 13 seconds game created a false sense that the slot mirror concept was unnecessary. I think Dorsey and Allen thought they could just open things up…apparently that is not the case.
       I just don’t understand why they have been so stubborn and I think this above all else is why Diggs is pissed. He is super smart and knows so he is like Jordan before the triangle worked… but his clock for a championship is ticking. I would be pissed too if I knew there was an easy button but no one acknowledged it…

(*****Post Now Ribbed for more pleasure…)😂

Edited by Lenigmusx
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Prospector said:

I miss the days of paragraphs

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

I think you have a fever, likely septic and going to die 

Close your eyes and put your phone down

The concepts people.. I reformatted for the English teachers on the thread…. The snarkyness is really unnecessary and not comical though. 

2 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Josh is not built to be a Pippen.  If he can’t be a Jordan, we’re effed.

Diggs is Jordan… We are not effed. Pippen was a big man distributor 

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Lenigmusx said:

The concepts people.. I reformatted for the English teachers on the thread…. The snarkyness is really unnecessary and not comical though. 

Diggs is not Michael Jordan - 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Lenigmusx said:

If we want to get really technical, you can’t really compare a sport where there are 5 guys out there that play offense and defense, versus a sport where there are a different 11 on offense, defense and special teams.  With that said, if Diggs is our Jordan, we are also effed.

13 minutes ago, Lenigmusx said:

It needs a second pass for sure, maybe hire an editor at this point. 

6 minutes ago, teef said:

this thread is causing me chest pains.

This thread gave me COVID.

OP: Your concepts are TOTALLY valid and well worth discussing. You know who would LOVE this conversation? Sal Capaccio. You should absolutely positively give him a buzz on his show and bring this up. 

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Haha (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Lenigmusx said:

No, it is necessary because I just tried to read it and it hurt my brain, and that's AFTER you supposedly reformatted it.

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Lenigmusx said:

That player could be Harty…

I always thought Kincaid would eventually fill this roll we have been missing since Beasley.

Which brings us back to Dorsey being fired and part of the reason is because the Dorsey's offense has not replaced/utilized that roll

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think to the OP’s original point, there is some truth to it. I, and probably most people, would love to play with Allen. Awesome dude, funny, positive vibes type. But the Jordan-Brady type is the one who screams at you and might punch you (not sissy boy) if they don’t think you doing what you’re supposed to do. I would hate that style personally but sometimes it is needed. Like sometimes Allen should tell Diggs to shut up or not pout when something goes wrong. 

I think the thing with Allen is he is kinda of a late bloomer so I don’t think he has ever thought of himself at the main guy who has to hold everyone accountable. On this team, I think it’s Diggs. And I don’t know if receiver is really the position to do that.

14 minutes ago, Neo said:

Diggs is not Michael Jordan - 

No he's not- Diggs acts and states he's a leader but all he does is chirp when things aren't perfect -typical pre-madona wr- 

Don't get me wrong he can be a game changer but comparing anyone to MJ is just silly - dude was a straight legend that liked to play against the best talent and constantly rose to the challenges- His Flu game will forever be my favorite 

This thread is kind of ridiculous.

Allen isn't Jordan because he's not the GOAT in football.  But he's certainly not Pippen - who was essentially a very talented sidekick and supporting player on that team.  

Allen is Magic, or maybe Malone right now since he doesn't have a title yet.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BlazinBill said:

No he's not- Diggs acts and states he's a leader but all he does is chirp when things aren't perfect -typical pre-madona wr- 

Don't get me wrong he can be a game changer but comparing anyone to MJ is just silly - dude was a straight legend that liked to play against the best talent and constantly rose to the challenges- His Flu game will forever be my favorite 

Sampras is a legends…Yacking on the court and winning the match….

• Agree 1

Don’t care who the heck he is or who you want to compare him to. Just bring back what worked. Yes, the offense has declined since the Beasley role has been left vacant. Someone has to be capable of filing it successfully. Brady needs to find that player. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think to the OP’s original point, there is some truth to it. I, and probably most people, would love to play with Allen. Awesome dude, funny, positive vibes type. But the Jordan-Brady type is the one who screams at you and might punch you (not sissy boy) if they don’t think you doing what you’re supposed to do. I would hate that style personally but sometimes it is needed. Like sometimes Allen should tell Diggs to shut up or not pout when something goes wrong. 

I think the thing with Allen is he is kinda of a late bloomer so I don’t think he has ever thought of himself at the main guy who has to hold everyone accountable. On this team, I think it’s Diggs. And I don’t know if receiver is really the position to do that.

I was going to come here and say the same. Jordan’s teammates used to talk about how competitive he was and it didn’t matter what he was competing at, he just had to win. And would keep playing whatever it was until he won. Josh’s teammates say the same: Josh is ultra competitive and hates to lose. But the biggest difference between Jordan and Allen’s personalities is that Jordan didn’t care if he was likeable, or wasn’t your friend. I get the sense that Allen wants to be on good terms with everyone in the building. Lastly, if Jordan’s killer instinct and refusal to lose was a 10, I’d put Allen at a 5. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Success said:

This thread is kind of ridiculous.

Allen isn't Jordan because he's not the GOAT in football.  But he's certainly not Pippen - who was essentially a very talented sidekick and supporting player on that team.  

Allen is Magic, or maybe Malone right now since he doesn't have a title yet.

That is not at all how the comparison was intended. It was not about the greatness he us not even in that strata. I simply meant in his positional usage and skill set as a big man distributor which indeed is what Pippen was. I meant he needs to be viewed and managed differently. Daboll understood. 

33 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Oh look, another dissatisfied fan.

thank you for your input and opinion. Means the world to us. 

I’m not dissatisfied. I maybe frustrated in the underachieving but I still get my moneys worth when watching. It would be nice to see generational talent achieve at the apex though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.