We need to save Josh Allen by any means necessary (the fire is gone)

Einstein

Something is or was or still is going on behind the scense

to me he is playing like a guy that is going along with the script and does NOT agree with it at all.  Lots of “I know stef i agree this is horrible but it’s what we have to do”

sounds of it is that McDermott is part of it as well with his slow the game down crap

idk I guess im now in the McDermott lost the locker room. O one believes in the vision anymore and it’s going bad all the way down to morale 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And when he leads the league in TD's that's just chopped liver? Again, yes Allen can improve here but the TD/TO ratio is what counts and from that perspective Allen is not doing as badly as his TO numbers look.  In fact just throwing out his TO's without mentioning his TD production is just taking uninformed cheap shots IMO.

You are a real Josh Allen apologist.  Maybe the biggest on this board.  Use the eye test Cincy.  He has played like ***** of late. 

He of course is an NFL QB.  He is going to make some decent throws every game.  The throw to Shakir down the left sideline on our second TD drive.  The 30+ yarder to Gabe.  The first pick was Gabe's fault.  But the problem is he is turning the ball over way too much.  He is being paid big money to a big timer.  If we want turnovers and TD's, we can bring in Jameis Winston.  At least Jameis is not a head case.  Just like Fitzie.  They will keep letting it rip.  Do I dare say Josh seems like a sensitive guy.  He probably did not like Diggs calling him out last year in the Cinci playoff game.  I am surprised that Josh even pays any attention to McDermott.  If I were him, I would just ignore him.  And play the way I wanted to.  Do you think Brett Favre gave a ***** what Mike Holmgren or Mike Sherman said to him?  He was the team.  He knew it and all his teammates knew it.  Josh Allen will be here long after Clappy gets shown the door.  Which will likely be at the end of the season. 

He just needs to bare down and make plays and not overthink things.  I have noticed that he barely throws over the middle of the field anymore.  Way too much sideline stuff.  Get Kincaid Diggs and/or Shakir running down the seam.  Lots of room there.  Especially with play action.  He is a big boy making a lot of money.  Time to step up, stop pouting and act the part of a champion.  The league stops for nobody.  I never saw Jim Kelly pouting.  If he was upset he took it out on his teammates or the opposing team. 

McDermott is no football guru.  We need to win despite this guy until he is no more.  

4 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Im done with Josh. 6 years in and he’s still the same QB that makes the same mistakes. Unfortunately we stuck with him and we have to make it work, but I don’t trust him anymore. 

I commend you for having the guts to express such a view.  I think the good far outweighs the bad with Josh, however.

His game is really down in the dumps right now.

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

The Josh Allen we are seeing right now, is not who we saw the first 5 years off his career.

Even when he had bad stretches under Daboll, he still would come out fired up the next series. He was still ready to risk it all.

His fire is GONE. When he scores now, he just jogs off the field.

Example: After we took the lead with 2 minutes to go last night, he started to just jog off the field (zero celebration). Spencer Brown tried to get him excited and lifted him into the air. 

Three years ago he’d be screaming his head off and amping everyone up. Now his facial express to being hoisted after a go-ahead TD is the face of someone who looks like they’re battling depression. And no, this is not a deceptive screenshot - this is how he looked the entire post TD celebration.

IMG-4417.jpg

The fire is gone and, Simon, I apologize for the salty language, but that friggin terrifies me!!!

Where has this gone?

Buffalo Bills GIF by EliteSportsTours

And this?

Josh Allen Bills GIF by The Undroppables

And this?

josh-allen-buffalo-bills.gif

And this?

josh-allen-josh-allen-fired-up.gif

I genuinely believe that McDermott’s “never too high, never too low” mentality has absolutely zombified what made Allen special.

I think it’s no coincidence that McD and Daboll didn’t get along, and Josh is becoming more and more like this as the months pass without Daboll as his coach.

First... We literally played a dog s*** game for 55 minutes 

Josh doesn't need to celebrate for scoring because he's probably pissed we're only up by less than a field goal... And he probably knew what was about to happen

Second him getting in the face of our defense and trying to rile them up did not help during 13 seconds

Bottom line how much Josh is celebrating has nothing to do with how much he cares... 

It's tough to be celebrating when the season isn't going your way... And we're not some lovable underdog team that needs moral victories 

This was a team with championship aspirations and it's not fun when you're playing like s***

Edited by Buffalo716

He's older. Scored a few touchdowns. Is no longer the underdog lifting a franchise into relevancy. And the league is learning how to contain him. Its what it does. He also now faces criticism. He is playing with expectations. Some very unrealistic expectations. 

We all can see it and don't give me that bull#### that this is "who he is". His confidence is completely shot and he looks despondent and frankly depressed on the football field. Is our QB's mental health OK? i say this in all seriousness, what happened to the fiery Josh Allen his rookie year when they scored a touchdown vs the Chargers in his first start. Where is the Josh Allen that was oozing with emotion during the divisional round game vs. the Chiefs. Can you imagine how he feels after time and time again he drives the team down the field with almost no time remaining just to have Mcdermott ***** his pants. Examples would be the Hail Murray and 13 seconds. Not to mention the games this year. It seems like even if we score with ONE SECOND, we will still miraculously find a way to lose and the mental toll that could on Josh would be huge as he needs to constantly have the team up by two scores or were screwed.

1 minute ago, bubba2018 said:

We all can see it and don't give me that bull#### that this is "who he is". His confidence is completely shot and he looks despondent and frankly depressed on the football field. Is our QB's mental health OK? i say this in all seriousness, what happened to the fiery Josh Allen his rookie year when they scored a touchdown vs the Chargers in his first start. Where is the Josh Allen that was oozing with emotion during the divisional round game vs. the Chiefs. Can you imagine how he feels after time and time again he drives the team down the field with almost no time remaining just to have Mcdermott ***** his pants. Examples would be the Hail Murray and 13 seconds. Not to mention the games this year. It seems like even if we score with ONE SECOND, we will still miraculously find a way to lose and the mental toll that could on Josh would be huge as he needs to constantly have the team up by two scores or were screwed.

he keeps throwing the same INT over, and over, and over again. It's broken him.

Josh is physically gifted. He has athleticism and talent that have rarely been seen. And that's not just on the football field. Think of all the cool videos we see of Allen doing other things. Shooting hoops. That one with the ping pong ball from a couple years back. We all knew (and some were) "that guy" in high school. The one that everything came easy to.

When he first came to the Bills he matched that athleticism with work away from the team to hone his skills and improve. Last off season and I believe the one before....he stopped. For whatever reason...be it stress from all the stuff that happened last year, bad advice...whatever. He's remarked he doesn't study much film. He didn't work with Palmer ..just not grinding like he was. He's relying too much on physical gifts...and the NFL can be a cruel place for people like that.

Looking at his face....he no longer has that dawg in him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Josh is physically gifted. He has athleticism and talent that have rarely been seen. And that's not just on the football field. Think of all the cool videos we see of Allen doing other things. Shooting hoops. That one with the ping pong ball from a couple years back. We all knew (and some were) "that guy" in high school. The one that everything came easy to.

When he first came to the Bills he matched that athleticism with work away from the team to hone his skills and improve. Last off season and I believe the one before....he stopped. For whatever reason...be it stress from all the stuff that happened last year, bad advice...whatever. He's remarked he doesn't study much film. He didn't work with Palmer ..just not grinding like he was. He's relying too much on physical gifts...and the NFL can be a cruel place for people like that.

Looking at his face....he no longer has that dawg in him.

He worked with Palmer in the offseason. Somebody posted a video today of Palmer talking about how he worked with both Josh and Kyle Allen in California over the summer. But probably not for as long as he did in previous years, but that was mostly due to the elbow injury.

• Like (+1) 1

Some talking heads have tried to sell that other than a couple seasons with Daboll,  Josh in every other season since high school-through college-NFL has been reckless with the football.  He's high risk high reward, and he's devolved back into too risky.

Just now, Nextmanup said:

Who cares?  Not room to discuss both?

I mean like there is 6 threads of both.

Here is how I see it: Dorsey was a good QB coach, Dabs made sure to really build a relationship with him (as evident with BD having him over for dinner Allen, weekly I think). Dabs was grooming Dorsey to take his spot, every single one of us knew it was going to happen.

Allen gets Dabs promoted, Dorsey is his pick, it’s a no brainer.

KD has never been an OC before. We asked him to come in and work a finely tuned machine that was the Bills offense. BD had been working on it for a long time through his career, and mastered it in Buffalo. 

Dorsey had to maintain the bar and expectations, and honestly he did things well. Statically, his offense had been awesome.

Also head scratchingly (it’s a word) messy. Free agents would come in and not be able to learn it. Backup QBs would just scramble because they looked lost. Even Allen didn’t seem to know what he was doing. 

Complex is good, confusing is bad. Bills offensive players seemed confused, overthinking leads to lack of focus, leads to mistakes. 

Dorsey may have tried to be DaBoll and have some master offense, but it was an offense that even Dorsey himself hadn’t mastered because he hasn’t been developing it for many years. 

• Like (+1) 2

Kurt warmer has talked about scheme. Dan Orlofsky (spelling) as well. Receivers running same routes, running into each other, not running deeper before breaking. I was thinking today that if that's the case and everyone is clumped up maybe that's part of why there's always defenders around. We always hear that our WR don't get separation. If they aren't off the defender then what do we expect. Josh is one of the problems, but so is scheme and WR just not playing well. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

He worked with Palmer in the offseason. Somebody posted a video today of Palmer talking about how he worked with both Josh and Kyle Allen in California over the summer. But probably not for as long as he did in previous years, but that was mostly due to the elbow injury.

Weird. Saw Palmer on Eisen (I believe it was) around TC and he implied that Josh hadn't been there. 

I think he’s just heard everyone in the world complain about sugar high Josh and his coach implied he was playing dumb on a huge stage so he’s trying to emulate what a professional should do. 

I don’t think he’s depressed or detached. He’s just trying to be steady… then layer on some tough losses and it looks extra weird. 

I don’t think it’ll be hard to snap out of though 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

You are a real Josh Allen apologist.  Maybe the biggest on this board.  Use the eye test Cincy.  He has played like ***** of late. 

He of course is an NFL QB.  He is going to make some decent throws every game.  The throw to Shakir down the left sideline on our second TD drive.  The 30+ yarder to Gabe.  The first pick was Gabe's fault.  But the problem is he is turning the ball over way too much.  He is being paid big money to a big timer.  If we want turnovers and TD's, we can bring in Jameis Winston.  At least Jameis is not a head case.  Just like Fitzie.  They will keep letting it rip.  Do I dare say Josh seems like a sensitive guy.  He probably did not like Diggs calling him out last year in the Cinci playoff game.  I am surprised that Josh even pays any attention to McDermott.  If I were him, I would just ignore him.  And play the way I wanted to.  Do you think Brett Favre gave a ***** what Mike Holmgren or Mike Sherman said to him?  He was the team.  He knew it and all his teammates knew it.  Josh Allen will be here long after Clappy gets shown the door.  Which will likely be at the end of the season. 

He just needs to bare down and make plays and not overthink things.  I have noticed that he barely throws over the middle of the field anymore.  Way too much sideline stuff.  Get Kincaid Diggs and/or Shakir running down the seam.  Lots of room there.  Especially with play action.  He is a big boy making a lot of money.  Time to step up, stop pouting and act the part of a champion.  The league stops for nobody.  I never saw Jim Kelly pouting.  If he was upset he took it out on his teammates or the opposing team. 

McDermott is no football guru.  We need to win despite this guy until he is no more.  

I'll take your first sentence as a compliment except that rather then use the word "apologist" I would use the word "realist".  Over the years when Bills fans have periodically jumped out of the woodwork during rough patches and went after Allen tooth & claw I just point out the obvious.  You know the stuff that I see when taking my eye test:  Allen's overall production and the lack of high end complimentary offensive personnel and coaching that I see on other SB contending teams with elite QB's.

You say he's an NFL QB and he'll make some decent throws every game.  Fair enough.  But when I watch NFL & College football (and I watch a lot of both) I see offensive skill players making all sorts of amazing catches.  I see guys grabbing the ball inches off the ground or high pointing and coming down with contested catch after contested catch.  Little dump off throws get taken 75 yards to the house as O linemen throw great down field blocks and RB's break tackles & turn on the jets.

Now tell me what your eye test says about Bills skill players over the last couple of seasons?  Diggs had that awesome 55 yard YAC TD against Miami...............but how many other great plays do you recall our play makers actually making?  I recall a few Davis drops of 55 yard Allen passes from last season. And I'm not trying to be a smart a## here but do you remember our skill players making a lot of wow catches this or last season?  Just last night Wilson benefited from 2 great catches - a one handed catch that went for 20 yards and that amazing TD catch.  Meanwhile did our receivers make a single wow catch?  I saw a ball go through Davis hands for an INT instead of a 1st and goal and Diggs couldn't handle a low, but not that low, Allen throw that might have gone for 30 yards.  Yea I get that Allen needed to make a better throw there but wouldn't it be nice if Bills receivers actually made tough catches now and then?

And I don't see Allen "pouting" I see a man who looks down and out and is very frustrated.  Looking lost is not the same thing as pouting. And for the record, Kelly was NEVER expected to do for those SB Bills teams what Allen is expected to do for the Bills today.  Kelly had much better coaching and was surrounded with all pro and future HOF offensive talent.

• Like (+1) 2

I was listening to One Bills Live at work today and Thurman Thomas was on there and Chris Brown asked him what those guys used to do to get out of a funk back in the day and he said something along the lines of Partying it up at Jim's house 🤣🤣 🤣

Yeah they could never win the big one but still such a legendary team!  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

The Josh Allen we are seeing right now, is not who we saw the first 5 years off his career.

Even when he had bad stretches under Daboll, he still would come out fired up the next series. He was still ready to risk it all.

His fire is GONE. When he scores now, he just jogs off the field.

Example: After we took the lead with 2 minutes to go last night, he started to just jog off the field (zero celebration). Spencer Brown tried to get him excited and lifted him into the air. 

Three years ago he’d be screaming his head off and amping everyone up. Now his facial express to being hoisted after a go-ahead TD is the face of someone who looks like they’re battling depression. And no, this is not a deceptive screenshot - this is how he looked the entire post TD celebration.

IMG-4417.jpg

The fire is gone and, Simon, I apologize for the salty language, but that friggin terrifies me!!!

Where has this gone?

Buffalo Bills GIF by EliteSportsTours

And this?

Josh Allen Bills GIF by The Undroppables

And this?

josh-allen-buffalo-bills.gif

And this?

josh-allen-josh-allen-fired-up.gif

I genuinely believe that McDermott’s “never too high, never too low” mentality has absolutely zombified what made Allen special.

I think it’s no coincidence that McD and Daboll didn’t get along, and Josh is becoming more and more like this as the months pass without Daboll as his coach.

Must realize there is nothing to celebrate until the clock hits zero. Doesn’t matter if there is 2 minutes or 13 seconds

• Like (+1) 1

His body language gives off depressed vibes IMO, his energy is different but at the same time he is performing in a lot of ways.  It is weird.   I know everyone wanted Dorsey gone and they got that wish.....but he is a scapegoat of sorts.  There are a lot of advanced stats that show the Bills are very good on offense, the problem is they keep making critical mistakes.

Hard for me to say if he said "is" or "his" but in McD's zoom meeting today addressing the game/OC change he said "when you're not your producing over time, that's where is/his confidence level is thin"

Like I said, hard to tell what if he said is or his but might have been a slip of the tongue on McDs part talking about Allen and wouldn't be surprised if he was.

7 hours ago, Logic said:

My best guess:

1.) Josh has the weight of the world on his shoulders. From 13 seconds, to a massive extension and commercials and the cover of Madden, to being Super Bowl favorites last year and all that happened, to this season. I don't think that people can imagine what the type of adulation and hero worship that Bills fans foist on Allen can do to a person.

2.) With the sky high expectations mentioned above, McDermott's coaching style, and the offense not gelling under Dorsey, I think Josh (and other players) have stopped having fun. And the worse things have gotten this season, the more it's snowballed. They all feel tremendous pressure to get it right, and the more they have continued NOT to get it right, the more the "not having fun, trying too hard" effect has snowballed and built on itself.

The bottom line is this: Firing Dorsey was a good and necessary first step. Eliminate a variable. Put the crosshairs solely on the head coach.

But in all likelihood, only one thing will fully save Josh Allen and restore the fun-loving, free-wheeling player (and team) we all miss seeing: A fresh start. A new chapter. Close the books on the Sean McDermott era, on 13 seconds, on all of it. A new head coach, a completely new coaching staff. Preferably a young, innovative, upbeat offensive mind who can re-spark the passion in this team that it appears to direly need.

I have always defended Sean McDermott, and I still doubt that he actually gets let go this offseason, but frankly, I've reached the point where I feel that it's what's needed. It's not that he's a bad coach, it's not that he's entirely at fault for everything that happened. It's just....it's time. It's time for a fresh start.

Let’s not put the cart before the horse on McDermott. You were right about Dorsey being a variable. 

Let’s see how the offense responds to a simpler game plan before we blow up the best thing that happened to us in 25 years. 

2 hours ago, KellyToTasker said:

At the risk of getting blasted on here….I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s medicated. Sugar high Josh, throwing up before games Josh, needs to get hit to get into games Josh, his own reference to his mental state, etc. He’s most definitely subdued.

I wouldn’t doubt it.  I’ve been depressed.  It sucks.  He had the look, sadly.  I hope he’s ok. 

We all know his story…. 

Couldn’t get a scholarship and had to go to Reedley College…

Sent out hundreds of emails and then Wyoming gave him a chance …and then became a Top 10 pick…

Of course he then had to prove all the analytics nerds wrong that he wouldn’t be successful in the NFL….

So what’s happened to that guy that did all that ? Over come all those odds pretty much on his own to live his dream? It’s not the guy we see on the sidelines this season..

Has Sean McDermott really changed him to that degree… it seems unlikely to me that a coach can change that drive out of somebody …or has something else happened to him?

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'll take your first sentence as a compliment except that rather then use the word "apologist" I would use the word "realist".  Over the years when Bills fans have periodically jumped out of the woodwork during rough patches and went after Allen tooth & claw I just point out the obvious.  You know the stuff that I see when taking my eye test:  Allen's overall production and the lack of high end complimentary offensive personnel and coaching that I see on other SB contending teams with elite QB's.

You say he's an NFL QB and he'll make some decent throws every game.  Fair enough.  But when I watch NFL & College football (and I watch a lot of both) I see offensive skill players making all sorts of amazing catches.  I see guys grabbing the ball inches off the ground or high pointing and coming down with contested catch after contested catch.  Little dump off throws get taken 75 yards to the house as O linemen throw great down field blocks and RB's break tackles & turn on the jets.

Now tell me what your eye test says about Bills skill players over the last couple of seasons?  Diggs had that awesome 55 yard YAC TD against Miami...............but how many other great plays do you recall our play makers actually making?  I recall a few Davis drops of 55 yard Allen passes from last season. And I'm not trying to be a smart a## here but do you remember our skill players making a lot of wow catches this or last season?  Just last night Wilson benefited from 2 great catches - a one handed catch that went for 20 yards and that amazing TD catch.  Meanwhile did our receivers make a single wow catch?  I saw a ball go through Davis hands for an INT instead of a 1st and goal and Diggs couldn't handle a low, but not that low, Allen throw that might have gone for 30 yards.  Yea I get that Allen needed to make a better throw there but wouldn't it be nice if Bills receivers actually made tough catches now and then?

And I don't see Allen "pouting" I see a man who looks down and out and is very frustrated.  Looking lost is not the same thing as pouting. And for the record, Kelly was NEVER expected to do for those SB Bills teams what Allen is expected to do for the Bills today.  Kelly had much better coaching and was surrounded with all pro and future HOF offensive talent.

Our receivers do not make spectacular or great plays very often if ever.  Knox can barely catch a pass where he has to move in the slightest.  And yes last night Davis and Kincaid let balls go right through their hands.  The throw to Diggs was low and away.  Other then Diggs Shakir Cook and Kincaid, I would bring in a bunch of young skill players who have potential talent.  We have wasted so many picks over the past years since we drafted Josh.  That all being said, Josh is not playing well.  He needs to stop turning the ball over.  I love his athletic ability.  And love the way he can make plays and his competitiveness when he is zoned in.    And I hate the coaching on this team.  Its lousy.  McDermott is over his head.  We all know that.  Hopefully the ownership sees that.  And will do the right thing for the franchise and this amazing fan base.  The ending to last night's game was disgusting.  I had to watch on delay because my flight from Detroit to Atlanta was 3 and a half hours late because of engine problems.  I didn't finish the game til almost 2:30am.  I sat on my couch in utter disbelief and shock.  Lets hope Joe Brady has some solid ideas and schemes.  If not, this season will turn in to an epic collapse.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

We all know his story…. 

Couldn’t get a scholarship and had to go to Reedley College…

Sent out hundreds of emails and then Wyoming gave him a chance …and then became a Top 10 pick…

Of course he then had to prove all the analytics nerds wrong that he wouldn’t be successful in the NFL….

So what’s happened to that guy that did all that ? Over come all those odds pretty much on his own to live his dream? It’s not the guy we see on the sidelines this season..

Has Sean McDermott really changed him to that degree… it seems unlikely to me that a coach can change that drive out of somebody …or has something else happened to him?

But McD is more than a coach he's Allen's boss in the workplace and yes a bad boss can suck the life out of their employees.

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

This is a pretty unique position we are talking about here … Allen will be here a long time after McDermott has moved on 

NFL years are like dog years.  Five years under McD in the NFL is like you or me working 15 years in a normal job. All I'm saying and maybe I misunderstood the point of the poster referring to McD as just Allen's coach is that this relationship at the professional level is way more complicated and profound then it is in Pop Warner or High School.

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

NFL years are like dog years.  Five years under McD in the NFL is like you or me working 15 years in a normal job. All I'm saying and maybe I misunderstood the point of the poster referring to McD as just Allen's coach is that this relationship at the professional level is way more complicated and profound then it is in Pop Warner or High School.

McD is gone … he might get another 12 months tops … but for the first time I’m thinking there is a chance he might be gone at the end of the season,,,

I hope all that is required is a new coach and the “old Josh “ is back … … 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.