I’m scared to fire McDermott.

McBean

Sorry I can't take anyone seriously that can't just give Coach  McDermott credit for ending the 17 year looooooong drought.  All the yeah buts are so tiresome and silly. Sure the team is not doing so hot right now and Coach McDermott as Head Coach deserves a lot of criticism.  

But just get off the he got lucky in 2017 thing. Do yall remember the drought? It was long and arduous and Coach McDermott got us out of it someway somehow. Give the man credit for that at least.

25 minutes ago, Chaos said:

First, I do think McDermott gets another head-coaching job . But I think it is less than certain it’s hard to imagine any team who thinks they have their franchise quarterback in place hiring Sean McDermott. I also think any team with the draft capital to to land a franchise QB would not hire McDermott

It seems like the teams that would be interested would be the teams that are starting guys like Sam Howell or Derek Carr, who don’t really have realistic championship aspirations

If Coach McDermott were to be fired there would be teams lining up outside his door to hire him.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The QB makes the coach, i'd be more afraid firing him if we had a bad QB and he was getting us to the playoffs but we have a superstar QB with flaws, and we are severely underachieving. The players aren't believing in something whether its the offense or the message that is being sent by coaches. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's a decent sounding plan. But I dont think that is the current recipe for success in the modern NFL.

It's more along the lines of finding a young, unknown staff member from a top Offense and catching lightning in a bottle.

I don't think it's the ideal plan for sure. But under the assumption McD's record and success is going to make it hard for Terry to fire him, I think it's the next best thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Like the man (Herm Edwards) said "you play to win the game". IMO if we stick with McD it'll be more "it's hard to win in the NFL". You are not going all out to win if you doubt your HC has what it takes to get you there and you leave him in the saddle. No guarantee that a change would work but if you don't even try you are not to be taken seriously in an ultra competitive environment.
I'm obviously not an expert but Dorsey looks to me to be inexperienced (not necessarily bad). Don't think he's ready now and there is no knowing whether he will ever be ready. And promoting him from within (especially of a guy already fired once as QB coach in Carolina) leaves me with the uneasy feeling that McD looks for a very junior partner because he fears any challenge to his conservative, defensive philosophy and approach. Possibly a lack of self-confidence or at least an indication of a lack of flexibility. I'm not sure how comfortable he would be if a bright young OC was hired to take over from Dorsey and suddenly unlocked a tremendous improvement in the O, showing McD up. He might even feel threatened. 
So really it might make the most sense to get rid of both McD and Dorsey. I don't believe things will get better unless and until we do but to me McD is the biggest problem. Speaking for myself I believe that Beane is a good GM but he's had to give McD the kind of team McD wants. I think the emphasis on D, or rather the neglect of the O, stems from McD. 
Interesting that both McD and Jauron are conservative, defensive coaches who were defensive backs in their playing days and are good at coaching up DBs.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

The thing about McDermott is it sort of becomes like the chicken or the egg analogy, McD does deserve credit for being head coach when we broke the playoff drought and four consecutive playoff appearances, and three AFC East championships. But in tough games, he often makes questionable game management decisions, and he's constantly competing with the Andy Reid's of the NFL now, so it shows up more in those tight games. There are some certain types of coaches in the NFL who just have that experience McD doesn't have or can't make up so quickly. There are also many who don't have his record too. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, McBean said:

You guys want to sit back and take this crap? Be my guest. I’ve pounded the table for 3 years to get this bozo out of WNY. Now, some are finally thinking I’m not crazy. You’re seeing it in front of your eyes folks. We are wasting a Hall of Fame QB. We are wasting time. We are wasting our best chance ever to win a Super Bowl title. To get this dark cloud over with. To bring a trophy home to WNY. For Bills Mafia across the world. How can we better our chances? Simple…

Terry, please God do the right thing and FIRE SEAN MCDERMOTT.

I think that many of us feel the exact same way you do now... but it's not happening. 2024 or a bit sooner, Dorsey is fired. 2025, McDermott is fired is what I see... 

What other choice do we have BUT to take this crap?!?!!? We can't force Pegula to do what makes sense... we have to blow it up because of this... it will be wasted, all of it.

I am not opposed to anything, outside trading Josh Allen.

The OC point is a valid one, any young guy will get poached after a year or two (and most can return after they get fired). Bills could hire a veteran OC who’s a failed HC, likely wouldn’t gather much HC interest again.

In my opinion, this summer is a bad one to need a new HC. I’d rather see them keep McD one more season and get themselves a true, established OC to come in and take over. 

If they fail next year, fire everyone. Ben Johnson will likely be in year 2 as an OC, DaBoll will probably be available, and who knows who else. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The title should read " I'm eager to fire McDermott"....listen Sean was the perfect HC to rebuild a culture here in Buffalo.  But his well documented flaws can no longer be ignored.  The best player to ever come to this organization is thirsting for an offensive mentor (HC).  Sean and his designated OC have no clue what to do with Josh.  It's week 10 and he's talking about experimenting with different styles.  His in- game management is terrible.  His clock management is terrible.  He butt heads with Daboll because he wanted a more " balanced" (which is code for conservative) offense.  Well if you really wanted a balanced offense,  why did you & Beane waste so many picks on defensive players, instead of OL/ WR2 etc.

I think McDermott peaked or maybe a better word is plateaud after 13 seconds.  He has taken this group as far as he can.  He'll never out- coach the more polished guys. This organization has some big contracts to manage down the road. I think it's more than time to thank Sean for his service and move forward with someone like Ben Johnson. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I am not opposed to anything, outside trading Josh Allen.

I'm not entirely certain I'm opposed to that even. Watched a lot of film reviews this year and the number of wide open guys he just doesn't see is somewhat disturbing.

If the haul was good enough, all options should be on the table. Cap hell is real on this team, and the only real way out of it short of a three-year run of absolute mediocrity like this year is a teardown.

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I'm not entirely certain I'm opposed to that even. Watched a lot of film reviews this year and the number of wide open guys he just doesn't see is somewhat disturbing.

If the haul was good enough, all options should be on the table. Cap hell is real on this team, and the only real way out of it short of a three-year run of absolute mediocrity like this year is a teardown.

If you’re willing to trade Josh Allen because of a less efficient, but still elite season then sell the team, move them from the area and be done with it. Seriously. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If you’re willing to trade Josh Allen because of a less efficient, but still elite season then sell the team, move them from the area and be done with it. Seriously. 

I haven't lived in Buffalo since the 1980s :lol:

But thanks for the advice, Andy, I'll put it in the proper place.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The title should read " I'm eager to fire McDermott"....listen Sean was the perfect HC to rebuild a culture here in Buffalo.  But his well documented flaws can no longer be ignored.  The best player to ever come to this organization is thirsting for an offensive mentor (HC).  Sean and his designated OC have no clue what to do with Josh.  It's week 10 and he's talking about experimenting with different styles.  His in- game management is terrible.  His clock management is terrible.  He butt heads with Daboll because he wanted a more " balanced" (which is code for conservative) offense.  Well if you really wanted a balanced offense,  why did you & Beane waste so many picks on defensive players, instead of OL/ WR2 etc.

I think McDermott peaked or maybe a better word is plateaud after 13 seconds.  He has taken this group as far as he can.  He'll never out- coach the more polished guys. This organization has some big contracts to manage down the road. I think it's more than time to thank Sean for his service and move forward with someone like Ben Johnson. 

His plateau was :13.  Special teams coach got the ax that year and last year it was the defensive coach.  Now maybe it will be Offensive Coach.  It's McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Whats point of hiring a strong oc who will be picked up by another team in 2 years?

Have to fire coach. Need the next offensive guy to be our HC.

Okay Boomer. Just tell us you dont understand internet memes no need for personal insults.

Ok... so hire a offensive minded HC who will need a strong DC.  Bring in a strong DC who will be picked up by another team in 2 years.   All you did was move the problem to the other side of the fence.

Ok. But have we really looked close enough at our roster? Bulletin! They're not that great. Three elite players? One out for the season. A defense that too often folds at critical times. An offense that begins and ends with Allen to Diggs. Even I could draw up a defensive game plan against that. I've never really thought our GM was great more slightly above average. Same with our HC. Our cap issues seem to say money  not well spent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Ok. But have we really looked close enough at our roster? Bulletin! They're not that great. Three elite players? One out for the season. A defense that too often folds at critical times. An offense that begins and ends with Allen to Diggs. Even I could draw up a defensive game plan against that. I've never really thought our GM was great more slightly above average. Same with our HC. Our cap issues seem to say money  not well spent.

This, too.

We can be a mediocre team that cant quite get over the hump despite the first franchise qb in 20+ years or sack up and go for the brass ring  McDermott is not going to get us a Super Bowl There will always be excuses/injuries  Heck he cant figure out what is wrong right now

8 minutes ago, Radar said:

That's fair but how much is Beane complying with how/what McDermott wants?  Regardless the roster is weak lacking true difference makers and getting old

• Agree 1

NOT wanting to fire the HC and burn the whole program to the ground right now is a "coward mentality?"

Have fun when a Rex Ryan or Chip Kelly type is the next HC here when your "big balls bravado" gets to pick the next HC.

Edited by RkFast

22 minutes ago, Nuncha said:

Ok... so hire a offensive minded HC who will need a strong DC.  Bring in a strong DC who will be picked up by another team in 2 years.   All you did was move the problem to the other side of the fence.

YES EXACTLY!!!! THE LESS IMPORTANT SIDE OF THE FENCE!

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I'm not scared to fire McDermott. 

But I don't trust Terry to make the right hire. McDermott is literally the only coaching hire he has nailed in multiple goes with two teams. If they are, as they might be, at the end of the McDermott era I don't at all put it past Terry to screw this one up too. 

That isn't an argument to keep McDermott either. If we miss the playoffs I'd fire him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RkFast said:

NOT wanting to fire the HC and burn the whole program to the ground right now is a "coward mentality?"

Have fun when a Rex Ryan or Chip Kelly type is the next HC here when your "big balls bravado" gets to pick the next HC.

Rex Ryan with Josh Allen? Okay how do we know that would actually be any worse than whatever the hell this product is mcdermott is giving us right now?  Hell Rex Ryan took the dirty sanchez to the championship game didn't he?

I mean honestly, giving McD credit for anything this offense did 2020/2021 I dunno guys it feels dumb. Only credit I give these guys is picking Josh Allen -- and that got them 6 years of gainful employment. Time to move on. We owe these guys nothing at this point they have failed to deliver.

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, RkFast said:

I honestly believe that people really believe it can only be better.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not scared to fire McDermott. 

But I don't trust Terry to make the right hire. McDermott is literally the only coaching hire he has nailed in multiple goes with two teams. If they are, as they might be, at the end of the McDermott era I don't at all put it past Terry to screw this one up too. 

That isn't an argument to keep McDermott either. If we miss the playoffs I'd fire him. 

I know that you don't like hockey, but they have a good guy with the Sabres now too. But that was after hiring the worst HC that I have ever seen in any sport.

4 minutes ago, RkFast said:

FOH. Have fun when a Rex Ryan or Chip Kelly type is the next HC here when your "big balls bravado" gets to pick the next HC.

It's all about expectations.

We'll not climb the mountain higher than that with this whole program.

Some fans feel good with it and i have no problem about that.
Some others talk about taking the next step, trying to be the best.

Maybee we could fell off the mountain if we try. Maybee not. Who knows?

It could be a Rex Ryan ou Chip Kelly type...and it could be the HC we need to take the next step.
One thing is sure: if we not try, we'll stay right where we are.

Like i said, it's all about expectations.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

You've got that wrong -- people know that it can be worse of course we have all lived through a 20 year drought. 

People just want JA17 to win a Superbowl while we have this exceptional talent on our roster and believe it is an impossible task with Sean McDermott as the coach. So it really comes down to the -need- to win a superbowl while josh allen is in his prime and whether or not you believe it's even remotely possible for this head coach to get that done. Most see it as not possible at this point. A minority still clinging to hope.

It's not about being afraid to fire mcdermott for the majority of us. It's about being terrified of leaving him in place and wasting Josh Allens career.

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Mango said:

I think most here, myself included, talk about the fear of firing McBeane not because we are afraid to jump into the abyss and we cannot possibly upgrade from the greatness of McD. It is because Terry Pegula has proven himself to be one of the worst owners in all of professional sports. And THE WORST owner in NHL history.  

Peter Pocklington says hi. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan692 said:

It's not about being afraid to fire mcdermott for the majority of us. It's about being terrified of leaving him in place and wasting Josh Allens career.

Allen's career could just as easily be wasted by another guy.

There are no sure things.

Generally, I'm pro ousting McDermott. I'm DEFINITELY wanting a change at GM. But the ONLY way I want it to happen is that the GM is hired first and THAT guy picks the HC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Allen's career could just as easily be wasted by another guy.

There are no sure things.

Generally, I'm pro ousting McDermott. I'm DEFINITELY wanting a change at GM. But the ONLY way I want it to happen is that the GM is hired first and THAT guy picks the HC.

Oh I agree with that 100%! The coach should never hire the GM that is just one of the many messed up things that have gone on with this regime!

8 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

For me personally

It's not so much that it can only be better. It's that w Allen already in place the step(s) backward we may suffer are significantly less likely to be as painful as the progress forward would be gratifying

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.