We're overhyping the Bengals

Success

Just now, PBF81 said:

4-4 will put us at 9-8, and we'd be lucky to win 4 games with the schedule that we have.  

I think we’ll get to 10-7, which should be enough. Unfortunately that probably means McDermott will not be fired.

• Agree 1

Just now, mannc said:

I think we’ll get to 10-7, which should be enough. Unfortunately that probably means McDermott will not be fired.

IDK, not sure how we get past teams like @Dallas, @Philly, @Miami even, KC at home.  The Jets and NE already beat us, I wouldn't bet on us taking both of the other two.  Even Denver will be a challenge.  That should have been a gimme.  

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

The org is in too much of a mess to fire him and have a restructure occur. 

Pegula does not strike me as the sharpest tool in the box…I don’t necessarily trust him to make the right hire anyway.

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

IDK, not sure how we get past teams like @Dallas, @Philly, @Miami even, KC at home.  The Jets and NE already beat us, I wouldn't bet on us taking both of the other two.  Even Denver will be a challenge.  That should have been a gimme.  

You’re right…7-10 or 8-9 seems more likely

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's exactly as I (and others) said... 

Stop using AVERAGE stats for the whole season to try & disguise RECENT performances.

We are now 2-3 in our last 5 games, have an inept offense & bipolar defense, and we are struggling against every single team we've faced. Those early few blowout wins have zero bearing on how this team is playing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

It's exactly as I (and others) said... 

Stop using AVERAGE stats for the whole season to try & disguise RECENT performances.

We are now 2-3 in our last 5 games, have an inept offense & bipolar defense, and we are struggling against every single team we've faced. Those early few blowout wins have zero bearing on how this team is playing. 

The consensus top 4 teams in the league (Eagles, 49ers, Chiefs, Ravens)

Eagles - 4-1 of last 5. Lost to the Zach Wilson led Jets. Beat the Commanders and Cowboys by one possession. 

49ers - 2-3 of last 5. Lost to the PJ Walker led Cleveland Browns. Lost to the Vikings, and Bengals. 3 straight losses.

Chiefs - 4-1 of last 5. Lost to Denver. Beat Miami and Minnesota by one possession.

Ravens - 4-1 of last 5. Lost to Pittsburgh.  Beat Titans and Cardinals by one possession.

We need to squeak out the close games with wins, but every good team does not blow out every team weekly. 

Bengals looked good tonight, they are stingy with the ball and score early. I think the Bills inability to create more than 3 points on drives 2-8 was the game. You can’t have 7 drives in a row that yield 3 points and 2 turnovers. Clean up the turnovers, and it’s a tie game. Assume the Bengals finish as a Wild Card, it’s probably going to be a challenge to see them going on the road and beating KC, Jax, Baltimore. Miami clearly can be beaten by Cincy. So far as overhyping the Bengals, I just don’t think they have the running game, similar to Buffalo that can win a road playoff game. It will take a nearly flawless passing game from Burrow and turnovers. Tua will give them that. Mahomes, Lawrence and Jackson will likely not give the Bengals those chances. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

No, we're not.  They are the real deal.

They are a defensive team with an elite checkdown QB.

He tried to muscle one throw and it died in the air.

Mixon is nearing the end of the line and there is nothing behind him. 

For them to win they’ll need their defense to carry them, and I thought for as much as the Bills line is average at best, Hendrickson and Hubbard didn’t do a lot. 

2 hours ago, boyst said:

The org is in too much of a mess to fire him and have a restructure occur. 

This thought crossed my mind. We have something like 25 FA and -$41M in space. The issue is that to get us to break even well either have to mortgage the future a ton. Like a lot. Or we’re going to have to stink next year. 

I am tempted to “stink”, load up on OL and WR wart in the next draft, and worry about the rest later.

37 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

No, we're not.  They are the real deal.

I agree. As much as I hate to say it, the Bungholes are hitting their stride and only gonna get better. I'm gonna Dutch oven myself if the Chiefs and Bengals meet again for the AFC Champ. Parity my ass. The NFL gets a few "darlings" and they hang on to them as long as they can. The whole league is pathetic. Starting with the officiating. I'm gonna go put my head in the oven for a bit. I'm kinda cold. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

I agree. As much as I hate to say it, the Bungholes are hitting their stride and only gonna get better. I'm gonna Dutch oven myself if the Chiefs and Bengals meet again for the AFC Champ. Parity my ass. The NFL gets a few "darlings" and they hang on to them as long as they can. The whole league is pathetic. Starting with the officiating. I'm gonna go put my head in the oven for a bit. I'm kinda cold. 

Stay warm.  Just remember that Buffalo in January....it might be chilly....

• Haha (+1) 2

Yeah yeah. They're the better team but they still weren't all world, we just sucked more than anticipated.

Burrow is always legit but more of a pass rush, any pass rush, would have changed things, especially with that finger. It was pretty cool that nobody really touched him today! Another feather in McD's cap. Great defensive mind.

I think that defense gets diced up by Baltimore next time. Maybe Jacksonvile and Indy too now that Jonathan Taylor is pretty much back.

• Agree 1

On 10/31/2023 at 7:51 PM, Success said:

Great team, and they could absolutely beat us on Sunday.

But what's the deal?  Reading this board, we seem to have little to no chance.  If I just went by the posts here, I'd think Cincy was the top team in the league, and unstoppable.

The Bills have lost as many games as the Bengals.  Our losses were all close. Basically down to a play or 2.  The Bengals have been absolutely blown out - twice. Against the Browns and Titans; not exactly world beaters.

"Burrow's calf was hurt" seems to be the main excuse.  Kind of like JA's UCL the entire 2nd half of the 2022 season, or his shoulder much of this season.  Excuses are just that.  That team has gotten blown out - twice.

This is as even a match of good teams as there is in the NFL.  Let's take a break on the doom talk.  Their struggles have been very similar to ours this year.  This should be a great game.

This aged very well, just as predicted.  Obviously you should try watching some other teams play besides just predicting bills results based on past years and thru rose colored lenses.  Bengals were peaking coming in if you had even bothered to notice, but you chose your bias of we are overrating our opponent.   The only overrated team here for the majority of the season , and it’s getting predictably worse, is the BILLS.  

SORRY, but called this easily going all the way back to the Hamlin game when this signs of offensive disarray were already showing up.  Almost lost to a depleted fins team at home prior to this same bengals offense embarrassing us at a home playoff game.  Outside of the outlier dolphin win, this team has been spiraling on offense , and to be fair, no team can overcome losing 4 pro bowl type starters on defense while breaking in a new ILB and dealing with two great safeties who should have been replaced.  It’s only going to get worse looking at the schedule

.  But, yeah we gave the bengals too much respect.   Hate to let you know but the broncos beat the chiefs, but that’s probably giving them too much credit.  Probably another “get right” game we have been being told about For the past month.  That comment about burrows calf really stands out as quality analysis as well.  Looked pretty healed tonight as he ran for first downs , but I doubt it had any effect the first three weeks when he couldn’t push off. Save this analysis for your archives’/ memoirs when writing about mcd bringing a Lombardi to buffalo!    Not trying to be harsh , but reality is a good thing to dwell in.  But hey , you played by Tsw rules where any constructive crticicm of the team is frowned upon or canceled, so carry on. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrPJax said:

This aged very well, just as predicted.  Obviously you should try watching some other teams play besides just predicting bills results based on past years and thru rose colored lenses.  Bengals were peaking coming in if you had even bothered to notice, but you chose your bias of we are overrating our opponent.   The only overrated team here for the majority of the season , and it’s getting predictably worse, is the BILLS.  

SORRY, but called this easily going all the way back to the Hamlin game when this signs of offensive disarray were already showing up.  Almost lost to a depleted fins team at home prior to this same bengals offense embarrassing us at a home playoff game.  Outside of the outlier dolphin win, this team has been spiraling on offense , and to be fair, no team can overcome losing 4 pro bowl type starters on defense while breaking in a new ILB and dealing with two great safeties who should have been replaced.  It’s only going to get worse looking at the schedule

.  But, yeah we gave the bengals too much respect.   Hate to let you know but the broncos beat the chiefs, but that’s probably giving them too much credit.  Probably another “get right” game we have been being told about For the past month.  That comment about burrows calf really stands out as quality analysis as well.  Looked pretty healed tonight as he ran for first downs , but I doubt it had any effect the first three weeks when he couldn’t push off. Save this analysis for your archives’/ memoirs when writing about mcd bringing a Lombardi to buffalo!    Not trying to be harsh , but reality is a good thing to dwell in.  But hey , you played by Tsw rules where any constructive crticicm of the team is frowned upon or canceled, so carry on. 

Agree 100%. I get crucified for criticizing the team, coaches, and everything in between. 

I specifically called out this post a days ago. 

Wish we were both wrong to be honest. In this case, it doesn't make me feel good to be right. 

Just maybe some posters might start to take my criticisms a little more seriously. I doubt it though because maybe of us hate to be wrong. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mango said:

This thought crossed my mind. We have something like 25 FA and -$41M in space. The issue is that to get us to break even well either have to mortgage the future a ton. Like a lot. Or we’re going to have to stink next year. 

I am tempted to “stink”, load up on OL and WR wart in the next draft, and worry about the rest later.

imagine if we balanced that contract to offense and defense?

i would love to be able to rework it. that'll never happen.

5 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

They are a defensive team with an elite checkdown QB.

He tried to muscle one throw and it died in the air.

Mixon is nearing the end of the line and there is nothing behind him. 

For them to win they’ll need their defense to carry them, and I thought for as much as the Bills line is average at best, Hendrickson and Hubbard didn’t do a lot. 

That was Josh Allen as well last night.

7 hours ago, DrPJax said:

I started the post saying the Bengals are a great team, and could absolutely beat us.

But happy to provide you w/ a "told ya so" opportunity.

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree 100%. I get crucified for criticizing the team, coaches, and everything in between. 

I specifically called out this post a days ago. 

Wish we were both wrong to be honest. In this case, it doesn't make me feel good to be right. 

Just maybe some posters might start to take my criticisms a little more seriously. I doubt it though because maybe of us hate to be wrong. 

Yep. It's also not easy to criticize Josh, as we all love him as our QB. 

But there wasn't one single thing I thought was "overhyped" about the Bengals. If anything, the responses in this thread were overhyping Allen & the Bills. 

I've said it probably 3 times in this thread already, but the tendency to use cumulative yearly stats like "Allen has 22 TDs, #1 in QBR, #5 passer rating!" to disguise the recent play, allows everyone to pretend this team is playing a lot better overall than it truly is. But look back at recent games & see the offensive struggles:

Jaguars: Scored only 7 points through 3 quarters, then we got 2 TDs in the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter to make the game look closer than it really was.

Giants: Scored 0 points through 3 quarters, then again scored 2 TDs in the 4th quarter (and needed the Giants to miss a goal line TD pass to win)

Patriots: Scored 10 points through 3 quarters, then scored 2 TDs in the 4th quarter yet again (against a defense ranked 26th in ppg allowed)

Buccaneers: Actually had a good first half, scoring 17 points, but then only scored 1 TD the remainder of the game

Bengals: Scored 10 points through 3 quarters, then scored 1 TD with 3:30 left in the 4th quarter

So why did people think the Bengals game was going to be any different? Nearly every game the offense does very little until the 4th quarter, or in the Bucs game, did nothing after the first half. Thankfully, the Broncos beat the Chiefs, so at least players won't be thinking "easy game" in the back of their heads.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Nelius said:

Yeah yeah. They're the better team but they still weren't all world, we just sucked more than anticipated.

Burrow is always legit but more of a pass rush, any pass rush, would have changed things, especially with that finger. It was pretty cool that nobody really touched him today! Another feather in McD's cap. Great defensive mind.

I think that defense gets diced up by Baltimore next time. Maybe Jacksonvile and Indy too now that Jonathan Taylor is pretty much back.

They just have no interior push to create problems for the quick release.  We tried pressure packages up the middle to force errant throws and even they couldn't get home.  LBs being total 0's in coverage and tackling meant they would carve us up in zone.  

40 minutes ago, Success said:

I started the post saying the Bengals are a great team, and could absolutely beat us.

But happy to provide you w/ a "told ya so" opportunity.

Sorry friend, but this thread was a bad idea. Just from a "jinx" perspective. 

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

But there wasn't one single thing I thought was "overhyped" about the Bengals. If anything, the responses in this thread were overhyping Allen & the Bills. 

I've said it probably 3 times in this thread already, but the tendency to use cumulative yearly stats like "Allen has 22 TDs, #1 in QBR, #5 passer rating!" to disguise the recent play, allows everyone to pretend this team is playing a lot better overall than it truly is. But look back at recent games & see the offensive struggles:

Jaguars: Scored only 7 points through 3 quarters, then we got 2 TDs in the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter to make the game look closer than it really was.

Giants: Scored 0 points through 3 quarters, then again scored 2 TDs in the 4th quarter (and needed the Giants to miss a goal line TD pass to win)

Patriots: Scored 10 points through 3 quarters, then scored 2 TDs in the 4th quarter yet again (against a defense ranked 26th in ppg allowed)

Buccaneers: Actually had a good first half, scoring 17 points, but then only scored 1 TD the remainder of the game

Bengals: Scored 10 points through 3 quarters, then scored 1 TD with 3:30 left in the 4th quarter

So why did people think the Bengals game was going to be any different? Nearly every game the offense does very little until the 4th quarter, or in the Bucs game, did nothing after the first half. Thankfully, the Broncos beat the Chiefs, so at least players won't be thinking "easy game" in the back of their heads.

The trend & pattern that has emerged is one of us going into games as if the first half is used to prepare for and plan the game, which we seem to show up for later in the 2nd halves someone.  

There's precious little evidence of planning going into these games.  

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Something to add to your post. 

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Well done nice breakdown.

This team just isn't very good and you don't need stats to come to this conclusion. 

The idea that the light bulb is going to come on is not being realistic. The problems, issues, and concerns with the team are deep rooted, numerous, and complex. 

The offensive problems are past alarming and the regime has no answers to fix it. Same goes for the injury riddled defense. 

The Bills are currently the 9th seed and out of the playoffs. A monstrous schedule faces them. 

Change is knocking on the door. Frankly, the time for change was after the Bengals playoff loss. Firing, Dorsey won't solve all the issues. The head coach needs to move on. The Bills need an overhaul. Sadly, that's not going to happen. 

Fans will continue to support McD and Beane. Their past success clouds the recent failures. They will continue to stay the course and likely failures will remain. The false hope will be created by the fan base. The media will treat the regime with kid gloves. Excuses will continue to give the regime more rope to hang themselves. In the end, the fans likely get disappointed again and again. Wash rinse and repeat. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.